WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2019

Options

Replies

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Heather - from what you said of Ros, she would have approved of the outfit, and I'm glad she got the sendoff she deserved. I'm terribly sorry you lost your friend.

Rebecca - I just don't have any words... only worry for you. Take care of yourself, my friend.

Leaving for the gastroenterologist's at 7 a.m., initial visit to start the process of getting the tests I need scheduled. Rush hour, so a half-hour trip will be longer than usual. As soon as I'm done with her, on the road to Little Rock for a budget meeting (about a three-hour drive). If I'm wiped out after that, will get a hotel, otherwise, back home late.

But, it will probably be a hotel, so I'm taking an overnight bag, and my coffeemaker. :) Just the essentials, you know.

Love y'all,
    Lisa
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    ✔️1. weigh in 59.4 fluctuation
    -2. log all yesterday
    -30 min exercise yesterday
    -4. five minutes meditation
    ✔️.Spend at least 2h on long term writing project today
    -7. Take care of at least 3 shorter (1 pagish) writing or administrative task/bill, (union work doesn't count) per week
    - 8. At least 15 min cleaning yest
    -9. At least 5 min day filing yest
    -10.average 1100 calories net

• Overall Feeling : medium
    • Log all : -
    • Exercise : -
    • 1100 calories net average : -
    • Long term writing 2h : yes, correction
    •3 Short term writing/admin per week: 1 done this week
    •cleaning : -
    •filing : -

Grateful :
    1. ok night's sleep
    2. some supportive high integrity colleagues
    3. better lawyer I think
    4. breakfast
    5. devoted corrector
  • bananasandoranges
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Hi I think I read back and got all! If I missed something, I'm sorry .you guys are so active!

Finished long term 100 page goal
    was writing in bed today. and then had shower and breakfast in bed...

had a long coffee with a colleague.

my thesis director is somewhat the pits for me. she's very friendly and amenable to her collagues especially the ones in power.

after I had signed up with her some had told me she was not very good, she partly got her job by the casting couch (she slept with someone in high power, we're not in showbiz but you get the idea--the source was very reliable, someone I know rather well and have known for a long time who rarely reveals stuff like that -but she used to go to school with my director who had confided in her).

I don't care though, it's their lives- they are consenting adults of similar age, but her star-student takes after her : a 30 year old who gets scholarship financement, many many opportunities and is lover of a very powerful 50 year old (now unmarried at least) well-connected guy in the school.

Then the director gives some opportunities to some others but Never to me. only one time : for a publication a few years ago, she asked if we wanted to interview someone. two of us were interested for this one guy, so the idea was that there would be two articles on him, so I did research and went to his event to get an interview and interviewed him later.
    she said "no rush for the deadline", much later I asked and she said "the deadline has passed" and she hadn't wanted to bother contacting people, whereas I just got confirmation yesterday (but I was sure) that she had informed others of the deadline.(of course ! you just send out a common mail at least 2 months beforehand).

my time was wasted. then recently she had another publication going out and informed several of her students about that so that they could apply (and simply invited the girl who's sleeping with the powerful guy - this girl didn't have to even apply), but not me, I just found out about it yesterday and the work is not unrelated to my research.

I had to change teachers after a year since my previous teacher left the school (that was the rule of the school for her students not for everyone's) and had a year with no teacher. my teacher is not great. she's not brilliant and she's very schools and rulish when it suits her (but not otherwise).

she gives the impression of being a friendly amenable person, but she's sneaky and very old-school, all is connections and favouritism.

if I weren't already teaching in higher ed, I would drop it. I'll be glad to get out of this. I know there are many who have worse stories.

I'm not really happy with the writing. I dont agree 100% with my teacher's approach but try to adapt. I have heard a few times that she is considered "mediocre" so it really makes me question how great it is too heed her schoolish advice. for example she gives corrections paragraph by paragraph but never wants to discuss the thesis plan nor the thesis question !!!!
    major dysfonctionnement ! it should be the opposite.

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    A new friend, with TBI, has an appointment Thursday at 10:00 am PDT. Please send healing thoughts and prayers for best possible outcomes.

Machka so thankful for your sharing of DH and your experiences. Helps me find appropriate responses to my new friend's issues.
    Lisa thanks for the tip, have bloodwork scheduled next month, will call this am and ask if thyroid and iron are included and if not, can they be. "...we go where they are..." Brava and Con VERY grats on the successful and so very worthy grant. "... coffee maker... just the essentials.." :laugh:
    Karen in VA "round 3 of refrigerator repair" Oh my word. SMH and hugs.
    Welcome @martacamsan Marta from Kansas and @oasis_fan Nancy from Michigan and @rlfrausto!
    Allie glad to hear you've started your search for a new job.
    Rita sorry to hear your hip pain is impacting your walking. Would you consider getting a chiropractic evaluation?
    Vickie thanks! Found a repair store in town. Didn't show in the "apple factory authorized" search but got good reviews for low cost screen repairs. Walked in at 11, walked out at 11:15 with a new battery and reminders of how best to condition it (let it run all the way down til it powers itself off. Charge at home completely to 100%. Repeat twice. Then ok to use car charger as needed but be sure to disconnect from car at 100%.) Had I known about this store, I'd have missed a lovely lunch with my friend and successful Winco shopping trip so quite content with how things worked out. Last night must have been an ice cream night, I succumbed to a Ben and Jerry's pint slice. ;}
    Shannon love the pic of you and Ashley!
    Sharon " the call of the vacuum ..." nearly choked to death laughing at that one, thanks! Will go for a potassium boost, legs feel fine until suddenly they don't. Happened again at dog group today, had to pass up the pack walk.
    Barbie Brava to Jake for being calm after 15 minute tech support call. Loved his "fun" comment ;)
    Carol roasted (frozen) broccoli and onions, sounds yummy!
    Michele oooh that night time pic of your pool looks so inviting, I could dive right into the screen.
    Kim "Lisa for president" count me in! While costs generally don't go down in 15 years, technology can offset. Looks like a ductless system could be had for under $5K. https://www.homeadvisor.com/cost/heating-and-cooling/ductless-mini-split-ac/
    Dana I'd need more than a shower after all that, I'd need a nap! ;)
    Beth brava for taking the steps to restore your word discernment. Hope the transition is easy and the rash isn't Lupus.
    Heather what a gal Ros must have been to have such a genius for friendship despite all the decks stacked against her. Bravissima! Thanks for sharing the pics.
    Oh Rebecca, what a shock and grief to see your sister in such a state!
    Julie my heart goes out to you. Dealing with difficult people stinks, and when they are in power over you it really really stinks!

Have NOTHING SCHEDULED all day tomorrow. Hooray! Now the challenge will be to not p!$$ it away on the pc, but get out and play in the dirt, take Tumble to the pet store, do FUN things.

Where or where is Miss Kelly?

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    Meditate 8/30, knee exercises 9/30, 60 g protein 10/30, vits+rx 9/30, play with Tumble 3/30, AF 11/30, steps: 6608
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD! Word for June might be equilibrium.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Rebecca Rebecca...so so sorry. Your poor sister. I will be so glad for you to be back with your husband. Alcohol is a sneaky saboteur.

Heather Ros was so very beautiful. What a gift she was to the world. I love your pre-funeral selfie. You look fabulous. The shoes are the bomb.

Lisa I am so glad you are a seasoned traveler. I know you will stop somewhere for the night if you need to. (Hug)

Barbara Sending healing thoughts for your friend. So glad your phone is fixed.
    Rant about refrigerator:
    Barbara, thanks for the empathy over the %$#* refrigerator. The repairman says the brand new compressor (2 weeks old) will have to be replaced, this time along with new evaporators. Apparently some contaminent got in the system last August when the other repair was made. The old repair place (which was supposedly LG-approved) charged over $500, which was improper. We are trying to get it back. The new repair place & LG say everything has been under warranty the whole time. Jordan, our current repair guy is determined to keep going until the repair is done properly. This company is replacing 3 LG compressors per day!...DO NOT BUY AN LG REFRIGERATOR EVER.

Karen in Virginia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,074 Member
    Options
    Rebecca I would think twice about getting in a car with her driving. It is :heartbreak: to watch what alcohol can do to a person and a family. Alcohol is a contributing factor to our son's problems. He had been sober for 7 months before he had this mental health episode.

I remind myself I love the person under the addiction. The best you can do given your situation is encourage her to get help if she is open to suggestion. Another symptom is denial and getting defensive. If you sense she is not open to suggestions just focus on sharing your excitement of your new granddaughter and anything positive going on in your sister's life.

Another problem with alcoholism is the person is more than likely suffering nutritional deficiencies and may be more prone to diabetes. The only reason I bring this up is this too can effect their behavior. It is hard sometimes to not take what they say personally. I need to remind myself it is the drug talking not them so I don't react to what they are saying. Easier said than done.

Once you see what alcohol addiction does to a person I understand why people moved to make alcohol illegal.

(((Rebecca)))

:heart: Margaret
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,387 Member
    Options
    Beth - (((HUGS)))). Good you are taking that step to regain your hearing and crossing fingers that rash is just a rash that needs a tube of prescription cream. How'd your DH's doc visit go?

Rebecca - how sad for your sister. Thinking about all that Tequila makes me want to go "urp". :s Understandable why she treats you and others as she does. Does she have friends/neighbors she pals with (and hopefully doesn't just drink with?)

Heather - glad you were able to attend Ros's funeral. Beautiful photo of her, happy smile! I'm sure she would have loved your outfit. Forgot to mention earlier - you commented that your DH is enthusiastic about using the exercise machines and you two often work out together. That sounds ideal!

Kim - I hope your weather is finally cooling off. We hit 95.5 yesterday, much better today and in fact I'm wondering if it will be too chilly for much Tai Chi and picnic in the park tomorrow. Sweaters, hats and gloves will be in order I think.

Kelly - we miss you!

That's it for now. Make it a wonderful day!

Lanette
    Sunny & cool SW WA State
  • martacamsan
    martacamsan Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous pic of you, Heather UK!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,297 Member
    Options
    Lanette - we always work out together! He is a lifelong gym bunny and cannot imagine life without exercise. He bought the machines. I would not be where I am today without him (and this group!) He also walks beside me most days when I run. Today I did my 5k in a gale force wind and spitting rain. :oo:)

Karen - Thanks for the pic! Hadn't seen that one. My copy should arrive today and we are off to the book launch in town this evening. Drinks and nibbles followed by a close family dinner. I'm going to wear the same outfit as yesterday. The kids will be there so DH will be busy!
    I am so pleased for her. She is not naturally someone who puts herself forward, so she has to work hard at it.
    I also have to admit to a few pangs of envy. :( I am taking that as a sign that I need to get on with my own writing and find new ways to publicise it. It requires some thought as I really don't want to tart myself around on social media etc, but that seems to be the only way to go these days. Anyone with any helpful tips please chime in.

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • bananasandoranges
    edited June 2019
    Options
    @auntiebk thanks ! having a nothing to do day is awesome ! enjoy!

@Machka9 wow what a day! woohoo for the exam! how was it?

@cityjaneLondon two beautiful and moving pictures
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Heather Shamelessly promote thyself. That's my advice. I pre-ordered on Amazon but it's not available until July 2. Looking forward to reading it. Have fun tonight!

Karen in Virginia
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,246 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    @cityjaneLondon You look fabulous, Heather. Sounds like a fitting send off.
    Michele: I love your pool. If we had one it would have to be heated.
    @oasis_fan WTG! Nancy. Great incentives! Scotland is well worth the visit. I live across the water from it and we often passed through on our way to France each summer.

Having a lovely me day, as DH is out for the day with his bird-watching buddies.

DYD is coming for her usual Thursday dinner tonight. I am planning a chicken salad with as much of it fresh from the garden as possible.

☘️ Terri N Ireland
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kim: DH is dragging his feet about the long RV trip for good and bad reasons. He is reluctant due to the enormity of driving from Oregon to Illinois and back. He has aches and pains & doesn’t want to go. The good news is that he is starting physical therapy, thanks to our doctor, and will hopefully gain some strength and stamina. If PT works, it will be wonderful. If not, it may mean surgery. He’s already had two back surgeries. He has been wondering if it was time for another. His last surgeon said he would eventually be back for another surgery. Thank you for thinking about our situation while waking Levi. It feels very nice to have encouragement & support. :smiley: I hope you are able to cool off enough for decent sleep at night. We had a heat wave when I was in grade school that was horrid. The big old house we lived in had a basement & it stayed a llttle bit cooler there, but I remember my mom & I sitting at the kitchen table with an electric fan blowing over a bowl of ice cubes. My dad worked at Sears back then, and the building was airconditioned. People walking out the door would be hit by a blast-furnace of hot air. Some swooned or fainted from the heat blast. :star:

Beth: I hope the hearing-aides improve your situation and the surgery will make things even better. :heart:

(((Heather))): Saying goodbye to a dear friend is hard. I am glad you were able to go to Ros’s funeral and help to give her a grand send off. :heart: :broken_heart::heart:

Rebecca: I’m so sorry your sister seems to be mired in alcoholism. I hope she eventually decides she’d like a better life. I doubt anyone can convince her to change. She will have to make that decision. :sad:

Karen in VA: I hope this round of refrigerator repair gets the job done. :flowerforyou: Thanks for sharing Dr Jessamy HIbbard’s new book. :star:

We’re having a quiet day at home today. We’ve made plans and reservations to take the RV to the same county park we went to last year for the fourth of July. We even have the same spot. Our dog can’t cope with the noise here, so we’re going there. It is a nice place to spend a week. I hope that we do a better job stocking up and don’t end up making numerous trips home to get forgotten items.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Marta, oh Athena Rose is our new grandbaby! She was born May 11th💖

Kim from N. California, well not really a way out, but I will just keep my wits about me. My sister did pick me up fine today, and tomorrow she will most likely sleep for most of the day. I am shocked at her living conditions. At this moment I am in her bedroom, and she is on her couch, ( so she can drink). There are about 30 bottles on a bookshelf and floor of this room, and another 30+ bottles (of tequila) on her coffee table. I was shocked but she doesn't even notice them. I would call her a functioning alcoholic. I don't know how well I can sleep tonight. Missing my dear husband.
    💖Rebecca

Oh Rebecca - my dad was an alcoholic and my sister is an alcoholic. She would try to hide her empty bottles. She just didn't realize we could smell the empty bottles. I found 40 empties in her closet once. She owned a home with my mom. We are now in the process of buying her out. I'm not sure what will happen. My dad was a functional alcoholic. He could go to work in the morning completely sober, but stopped to by a 12 or 24 pack every night.

Hang in there!! Athena is beautiful.

Connie in KY