WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2019

Options

Replies

• Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Michelle in NC- my home has color,warm colors.My mother (cough)came for a holiday after we had painted and as her usual,made hateful remarks.It hurt my feelings,but after Years of her behavior,it didn’t last long.Its my home and we’re comfortable.
    Cheri-Love the kitties.
    Pip-😁😁.Weight lifting this morning.I need to increase weights,but I’m a bit concerned about doing so because my knee is clicking sometimes.But if I expect to be able to perform my job to the best of my ability, I need to make sure I stay in shape.Pumpkins will be coming in soon,then Christmas trees and they can be Heavy.
    Debby In Va
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    Options
    cmsavells wrote: »
    @bwcetc - my mom was diagnosed with advanced breast cancer at age 81. I hope I’m wrong, but I think surgery and recovery are going to be very difficult for her because of the mild stroke she had in February. Then again, she’s kind of like the Energizer Bunny!

Thank you for sharing again. I will keep your mom and you in my prayers.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Sheila Texas- I’m exercising by walking in circles indoors y down hallways for an hour a day. Waters handy got news on in 1 room so when I pass I get a glance while holding this iPhone 📱 reading recipes y stuff on it or listening to YouTube videos 2yr old running around me to driving into me with toy cars lol a lot traffic beep beep* especially in my kitchen it’s his favorite detour. I got workout 🏋️‍♂️ equipment in the garage but can’t use it with a toddler who’s too young to follow directions well yet.

Clicky- depends which definition used. Lol 😂 we do comment a lot 23+ since last night at 10pm. We do have stuff in common.

Waiting to see if family visits or not . Dad wasn’t feeling good enough for the trip so he stayed behind the rest went on. Got chicken cooking y for me potatoes. Figuring out a nice diabetic friendly side dish he will eat without teeth in. Gummy foods lol.

SW-195
    CW-163.2 (162.8 yesterday)

Amber Tx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    Just had news from a really good male friend that he has Stage 4 lung cancer. :'(
    He wasn't a smoker, as far as I know, but has done many huge DIY projects over the years, rebuilding houses etc.
    I feel attached to him and his lovely wife as they were so welcoming to me after my first marriage broke up. The man is one of my ex's best, old friends, but we have been in touch more than my ex. We visited each other often and they have been here to Hove and we have occasionally swapped houses. They live in Cornwall.
    He is having immunotherapy and chemo.
    He is starting up a WhatsApp group to keep people informed. :'(:s
    A bit of a repeat of my lovely Ros.
    I also have another friend just diagnosed with advanced bowel cancer.
    A sign of our age, I guess. Until now most of my friends have dodged the bullet, but our age is catching up with us.

Lots of love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx

It could be from asbestos. They used asbestos in housing here until 1987. It is fine if you leave it alone. Once you disturb it then it is a problem. Today when they deal with it they wear all kinds of protective gear. I know when I worked in a lab in the early eighties they were just starting to have hoods in the labs and were becoming aware of the dangers of some of the chemicals. They also allowed smoking in the building at this time. I never forget when I complained to my boss and he put his cigarette out with a stream of acetone. Wouldn't happen today.

I am so thankful I entered the workforce just as smoking in buildings was on its way out. One of my early jobs was in a cafe that allowed smoking and I hated that! I only worked there a year and that was the only place I worked that did allow smoking.

But yes, asbestos can be a big problem too. They discovered disturbed asbestos in the building my department was in when I started and evacuated us all for a week or so while it was taken care of. Shortly after we (several hundred of us!) moved into a newer building.

Very sorry about your friends, Heather.

Machka in Oz

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,404 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! Happy Thursday <3 (to many of us.)

Lisa
    - your comment about not having visitors in your home.... same here. I just realized we've had relatives and some friends from out of town, but very few folks who live in town or even in the neighborhood. Hope your UTI symptoms are getting under control.

Tracey in Edmonton
    - the flu hitting? GACK! Are the staff/employees required to get a flu shot? Is there vaccine available yet? Hang in there, we know you are super busy now.

Julie - so interesting to read about your mortgage loan challenges in France. Sounds pretty frustrating. Hope you can do something fun with the remainder of your vacation time.

Ginny in Ohio -- punch cards! Fortran! That takes me back to a college class I took in the early 70's. A stack of cards to do a simple mathematical problem, :# . At the rate they're going, I'm wondering computers will look like/be able to do in ten years. Almost scary.

Machka - take care of yourself. The painful tooth is the pits. So glad to hear that you are getting a bit of time to relax and enjoy doing some things with your DH, your plate is so full these days.

Heather - so sorry to hear about your friend with lung cancer. Hope his treatment does the job and he has some happy and healthy years left. Same with your friend with bowel cancer. Your dinner with DS sounded great.

Debby in VA
    - what do you do that involves handling pumpkins and Christmas trees? That's some major weightlifting right there. B)

Katla
    - we are all waiting to hear how DH's MRI turned out, and hope it's something easily fixable. Speaking of fixable, is his car up and running? Maybe you responded and I skimmed past!

Sheila in Webster TX - walking is wonderful! Good for you!! And there are several gals here who are on really low-carb (keto). I'm on moderate low-carb, mainly avoiding starches and sugar. RVRita pointed us to the dietdoctor.com webpage. Lots of info there.

Newbies - welcome, keep jumping in. It often takes a long time to feel like you're part of the group. Some new gals start right in like they've never known a stranger, lol. Others hang on the edge and venture forth now and then. When I first came to the group, I tended to respond to a few gals I felt something in common with... geography, weight loss/health goals, same interests/job concerns, etc. All are welcome. And Beth is right, this gang moves so fast.

I'd like everyone to know that I respond mentally to every post I read, most of the time that response doesn't make it into print. :D I do try to comment with a "hug" or "like" or whatever is appropriate.

Also, those of you who are new and interested in weight lifting, there's a great book called "Strong Women Stay Young" by Miriam Nelson, which involves using light dumbbells and ankle weights at home 2 or 3 times a week for us older gals to keep in shape. I've been doing it almost 2 years now. Here's a website that tells more about it: http://www.strongwomen.com/fitness/fitness-eprograms/vibrant-aging-overview/vibrant-aging/ Kudos to our fearless leader Barbie who got me started.

Many more I wanted to respond to but doing it in my head will have to suffice. :p

Make it a great day, ladies! <3

Lanette
    Cool & drizzly SW WA State
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    Options
    would you say this thread is click-y ?

nope
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Tracey- My Mom used to ride her bike behind mosquitos 🦟 spray trucks y played in the yard to field while pesticide got sprayed on the crops. Doctors didn’t believe her or us when we said she never smoked or live with smokers but it’s true. She had lymphocytic leukemia that spread to bones y lungs after 30+yrs of it she got it young a rarity normally effects the old. They tested a lot of the newest treatments on her she was doing great they even gave her meds to help white blood cells if I understood right. She lost her health care when the new insurance laws kicked in so she died without pain medication to cancer treatments went down fast died. Like any law it helps one person but hurts another. I still think all that pesticides caused hers.

Amber Tx
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    :)
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Morning! Gym time for me, keeping things moving despite some aching lower back issues. I’ve been thinking kidney problems but that’s been ruled out by lab work. The doc says take Tylenol and keep stretching. I’d it still aches in 2 weeks I have to see an ortho doc I suppose. At least I know it’s not kidney issue. NYKAREN
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,327 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Allie: Hang in there. Something will turn up!
    Ginny: I’m missing my craft groups. We will be meeting again in September, so I’m frantically trying to finish a few crochet projects. I have Xstitch projects that I have been working on for years! 😂
    Heather: So sorry to hear about your friends.
    smwhiten66 wrote: »
    I'm new to this, I keep putting off eating right and exercising. I received not great news from my blood work. I need to eat low carbs and start exercising. I have Lupus so I can't be out in the direct sunlight. I plan to walk for 30 minutes at least 2 to 3 times a week.

Sheila in Webster, TX
    Welcome to the group. If you have access to YouTube there are great indoor walking programmes you can use. I use them when the weather is bad.