WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2019

Options

Replies

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Friday! I will do the Friday dance, even though I have to work this weekend. I have Trentin and a few things that HAVE to get done (I can do them while he is here), but having him here also gives me a reason to "play". I see the beach and some trails in my future (this weekend). :)
    Heather- So sorry to hear of your friends illnesses. Cancer is a thief. The day some one finds a cure the world will throw a huge party. Always fun to hear about your explorations. I love museums as well. Do you have memberships or belong to their social media pages, so that you can be informed of the new exhibits? I get emails from a few of the local museums, that way I can pick and choose what I want to see in person. (All of the best museums are an hour or two away)
    Have fun with the grands! <3
    Suebdew- You are doing so well with your health choices, weight losses and activity! Yea! It is HOT down there; I know I would have to be doing my exercise in water. Lauren and Joaquin head to the community pool as often as they can, because walks and outdoor play are too much for her. (six more weeks of pregnancy!)
    Allie- I am sure your friend was just trying to help you see something that she may have thought you couldn't see in yourself. I am sure it was done/said out of love. I hope you have a fantastic and rejuvenating weekend at the beach! You have been through so much; but you are capable of so much...I see superpowers when I look at you! YOU have the power in your career. NO ONE has more power over your career than you do! YOu can do this!
    NYKaren- Enjoy your lunch date! The weather this summer has been crazy! Either too much rain or too hot! Maybe you can find a nice shady trail to walk?
    Pip- You are so close to your goal! I wish I had some spare funds to donate to help you get there quicker! Instead I will send you good thoughts/prayers of a safe trip and ride, and much success to the MS foundation! Love your pics (except the injury ones! Ouch!) <3
    Karen VA- I have to head to Chicago's Field Museum to see anything like Archie. But I love those trips! Wondering...do you do any type of educational field trip with your grandson? That would be fun! I miss being able to take kids to Chicago or any of the bigger (farther away) museums, caves, historical cities, etc. B)

And...I have run out of time! So many of you that I wanted to respond to, but my brain and the clock is not letting me. Sending out good thoughts, vibes, prayers to all (grab em if you need them!) ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,006 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I have never used microsoft office ,excel and and have only used word once or twice and she was agast..so will see if I can find free classes somewhere on how to use those..

These days, if you're going to work in an office, you've got to know how to use Microsoft office!!

klanders30 wrote: »
    Allie Check your local library for classes on technology for FREE!!!!. My library has intro to word, excel, google etc and a lot of folks my age and older take advantage of the classes, they are often scheduled at night and weekends. An awesome resource! I am not always open to learning about technology, but believe even I can do it, with lots and lots of repetition and for me, I take notes about each little step so I can understand and practice at home.

NYKAREN

Agreed. Most communities either have adult education courses for free or low cost through the city itself or through the library.

I've taken a lot of those sorts of courses!

My first was a typing course way back when. I went from typing -9 WPM up to 25 WPM. That was one of the things which helped me get a couple jobs ... at least I could type a bit. (Later I took a 1-year Business Admin course, and had to have 60 WPM to graduate, which I got about a month before graduation).

I've taken yoga and spinning classes.

And several French classes.

And photography.

And MYOB ... that's an accounting package sort of similar to QuickBooks.

And my most recent one was Spanish in late 2017.

I think that's it ...

I'd love to take Chinese (Mandarin) through one of those courses next time I have time.

I learned Lotus123 and Wordperfect myself way back when (is that what you used Allie?) and then a friend started to teach me Excel and Word and I gradually learned over the years.

M in Oz

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Allie ~ My DnL's mother taught computer classes in an adult education program at the local university. You might check one like that. I hope your weekend is a safe and happy one.

It is a hot and very humid day here!

Carol in GA
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,379 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday Ladies! <3

Lisa - I first saw that gif of water splashing and thought that pertained to your UTI, lol. I hate night thunderstorms and windstorms and the tornadoes that sometimes accompany them. Truly terrifying. Glad you are OK and electronics made it through unharmed.

Mia - hope your kitty shows up, sending good thoughts your way.

Beth - hope that new carpet smell is going away. Good that you did it this summer and can open windows to let it air out! Any progress on your DS's facility getting back into shape so he can return and get proper care?

Ginny in Ohio - strange weather in the Midwest for sure. My sis in N Indiana has the same comments about it being too wet for the farmers to plant and now the drought and irrigating if they have the means.

Michele - where will Shadow spend time as a therapy cat? A nursing home? Totally understand about Vince not walking with you because he doesn't want to stop and chat. My DH is the same. And even now, I try get my walk in at daybreak to avoid chit-chat if I really need to get home and get stuff done. Otherwise, I sometimes do an afternoon stroll and catch up on the news.

I woke up in the middle of the night fretting that if something happens to DH and he needs to go to the "big" hospital (that has a cardio unit) 30 miles away, who will look after the dogs and make sure they are fed and let out to do their business if I need to be with DH all day at the hospital? I whirled that around in my brain for far too long, finally went back to sleep. This morning, I realized I have many great neighbors who I could depend on in a pinch, just give them a key and quick "here's the food and how much" and everything would be fine. Strange what we try to process when we're not "all there", lol.

Carol
    - that reminds me, how's your BIL after the bypass surgery? Hopefully up and doing well!

Suebdew
    - way to go on WW!! I think it is a good program, depended on it all my life to keep my weight in check. I came to MFP after I couldn't get their new program to work on my PC and their communities disappeared a couple years ago. Seems like there are hardly any meeting anymore - I didn't attend them but would stop and officially "weigh in" when I was on maintenance.

Karen & Heather
    - love "Archie" and all of those pre-historic artifacts. I remember when I was a kid, a neighbor found a mastodon tooth when he was out plowing his field. What excitement!

OK better close before I do like Terri and hit the wrong key with my pinkie and lose it, lol. Tai Chi today and I need to get busy making snacks (cut up cauliflower and carrots to go with hummus. Also have a big bowl of little sweet cherry tomatoes to give away.)

Congrats to all of you losers B) and hugs all around!! <3

Lanette
    Cool SW WA State

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    bnwwiowyf503.jpeg
    9lj8bzdyt1fj.jpeg
    l13zair56qe3.jpeg
    Michele NC- I haven’t found a bathing suit 👙 I like in about a decade now the styles are to let my boobs flip out or my butt jiggle lol 😂.With my pregnant looking belly well a 2piece is out folks would wonder when I’m due lol. I miss the older styles that covered fully yet looked so nice back in the day wasn’t so tight. They litterely held it all together my Mom was a 300+ lb woman even hers looked nice on her back then. Thick material didn’t fray so easily.
    I have ceramic tile floors so mop good with bleach,dish liquid,simple green,y fabuloso floor cleaner with hot water.Then after fully dried once a month quick shine or mop y glow floor polish (wax) . Then just sweep for 2 weeks.

Terri- mine did the same barely moved the page it skipped to the last page think it’s MFP.

Backs injured 🤕 picking JR up to put him back to bed.My ankles sore too so got to rest.Muscle between back to breast bone Same one that loves to go.Tylenol keep on trucking Hubby working 3am-11pm today again so on my own ,definitely no exercise today just eat good.

Karen right all libraries offer special computer classes check with yours.I took some classes from the ones offered in a catalog sent in the mail by my city every blue moon too(school system hosts them). Community Adult Education got a certificate for GED/Quick books can use them to get jobs. YouTube has tutorials also my Daughter introduced me to them lol so I’d stop asking her questions. 20yr olds y patience do not go hand in hand.

Lisa- Any more rain you’ll need an Ark lol

Grandmallie- You described many of us it’s our personality.Hugs your friends sure is a blunt one ignore it do what’s good for you. She’s not perfect either no one is. I over think before taking a step it’s because we know theirs rocks if you leap off a cliff from experience.Your friend has a different personality she can leap with the if I hit a rick I hit a rock attitude,but that doesn’t make her way perfect.

Everyone with losses y health problems- Praying keep your heads up.

Amber Tx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,607 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning all! Happy Friday! I will do the Friday dance, even though I have to work this weekend. I have Trentin and a few things that HAVE to get done (I can do them while he is here), but having him here also gives me a reason to "play". I see the beach and some trails in my future (this weekend). :)
    Heather- So sorry to hear of your friends illnesses. Cancer is a thief. The day some one finds a cure the world will throw a huge party. Always fun to hear about your explorations. I love museums as well. Do you have memberships or belong to their social media pages, so that you can be informed of the new exhibits? I get emails from a few of the local museums, that way I can pick and choose what I want to see in person. (All of the best museums are an hour or two away)
    Have fun with the grands! <3
    Suebdew- You are doing so well with your health choices, weight losses and activity! Yea! It is HOT down there; I know I would have to be doing my exercise in water. Lauren and Joaquin head to the community pool as often as they can, because walks and outdoor play are too much for her. (six more weeks of pregnancy!)
    Allie- I am sure your friend was just trying to help you see something that she may have thought you couldn't see in yourself. I am sure it was done/said out of love. I hope you have a fantastic and rejuvenating weekend at the beach! You have been through so much; but you are capable of so much...I see superpowers when I look at you! YOU have the power in your career. NO ONE has more power over your career than you do! YOu can do this!
    NYKaren- Enjoy your lunch date! The weather this summer has been crazy! Either too much rain or too hot! Maybe you can find a nice shady trail to walk?
    Pip- You are so close to your goal! I wish I had some spare funds to donate to help you get there quicker! Instead I will send you good thoughts/prayers of a safe trip and ride, and much success to the MS foundation! Love your pics (except the injury ones! Ouch!) <3
    Karen VA- I have to head to Chicago's Field Museum to see anything like Archie. But I love those trips! Wondering...do you do any type of educational field trip with your grandson? That would be fun! I miss being able to take kids to Chicago or any of the bigger (farther away) museums, caves, historical cities, etc. B)

And...I have run out of time! So many of you that I wanted to respond to, but my brain and the clock is not letting me. Sending out good thoughts, vibes, prayers to all (grab em if you need them!) ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

don't worry about it. your emotional support, i will take!
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Last night was weird, couldn’t get to sleep although I was very tired. It was after 2:30 before I got any sleep. Needless to say, no aerobics this morning.
    Lanette- thanks for your encouragement. I wonder sometimes if I should just go with the flow as far as my weight is concerned or keep working on it. I do feel better when I am lighter. Your comment about someone taking care of your pups is something I worry about with my new puppy. Two friends have offered to puppy sit so I need to talk with them. Unfortunately, medical emergencies usually occur at night for us.
    kJ- are you coming down when the new baby arrives? Maybe it will be cooler in six weeks. We go to the pool at 7;30 and the water is wonderful. Have some fun this weekend. Also, thanks for your kind comment.
    Better get my day going. Have to give Riley a bath as he likes to lay in the dirt in my flower beds. Uggg
    SueBDew in Tx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,607 Member
    Options
    921mpv68xna0.png
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,006 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Hibernation Weekend: 3 days off, assignment done, wild weather, new fuzzy pjs!

Work: It has been a frustrating week at work ... so I took a 3-day weekend. Fortunately, today I finally made some headway with what I'm working on so hopefully, when I return on Tuesday, it will be full speed ahead at last.

Assignment: I submitted it this evening. I think it's OK. And it's nice that it's done. I should listen to my lecture and attempt something with my tutorial ... not for marks, but I'll probably need to be familiar with the material. I chose not to go to either my lecture or my tutorial this week. :neutral:

Wild Weather: rain, sleet, hail, lots of wind, chilly temps. About 10 mm of rain has fallen already this evening with another 30 predicted for tomorrow and 10 more on Sunday. Plus snow down to 500 metres. There's a decent 4 metre swell out a little bit further and 2 metre swell in our bay, so when the wind drops for a moment, I can hear the waves on the beach.

New Fuzzy Pjs: Shops are starting to think it's summer ... they're always too early. However, it means that winter stuff is going on sale, so I got these for half price. :) If all goes well, I'll spend much of the next 3 days in them. :)

However, we did brave the storm this evening and drove to the university to see the Big Bike Film Night ... once a year they come from New Zealand and present a collection of interesting, funny, moving films about bicycles and cycling. I think this is our 3rd or 4th year. We couldn't pass it up! :smiley:

There's usually one or two set in New Zealand and this year wasn't any different. One day, we've got to get across there for more than just a few hours in the airport at Auckland!!

Machka in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,379 Member
    Options
    Katla - I forgot to mention, our county commissioners are finally looking at making some rules about Fireworks! I finished the letter I started a month ago in support of it (only allowing them on the 4th and not the whole week before and day after. Crazy!) and will drop it off at the courthouse on Tuesday when I'm in town. I have an idea more folks than just me stopped into the courthouse last month to gripe.

Have a great time at yoga!

Lanette
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Allie, You Tube has terrific tutorials on every program you can imagine. VERY helpful in my opinion because you can watch the action in progress. When my CPA daughter was first getting into accounting she used You Tube to learn several different programs. You can do this sweetie. <3

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Lisa we are finally getting some much needed rain also. The last few times you've had rain we didn't. Lots of lightning strikes during the night too. Electricity kept going out. But Im thankful for the ☔.

Janetr OKC