WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Connie I hope your mother is doing better. I've had a few trips to the ER myself for migraines.

Do you know what her triggers are?
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    658729g1em44wifu.gif
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Alrighty I have officially gone off the deep end DIY-ish! We got a nice grocery store insert and I made envelopes out of it for my pen pals!
    uy0hv8d9bmcr.jpg
    💖Rebecca

Love love love! I do the same thing!

Cheri
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    LucyBThinner – too early in the season to razz! I was surprised by how the team up north performed. What’s really important is that your eyes are doing well!

Barbie – thanks for the tip! I have saved the earlier in a word document-now to find time to play around with them!

Rebecca -I think a dinner at subway is great! You are right-what is important is that you are together. Would never thing to make my own envelopes. That's clever.

I had a brief spell with migraines years ago. Started with a headache that lasted three weeks (got progressively worse). Did go to ER for that. They did cat scan, etc., found nothing concerning (my father died of a cerebral hemorrhage when I was 6 months old so I thought maybe I should make sure nothing genetic!). I felt like a wimp but ER doctor told me anytime you have a headache that won’t leave you should get checked, and sooner than 3 weeks. He also said sometimes people get headaches and they never know the cause. Since then, very rarely have one except with sinus infection, etc. I know some folks who get quite ill from migraines.

Uneventful day-church, shopping, meal prep, watched some football, visited with neighbors daughter. Ready for the workweek.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,243 Member
    Options
    Machka - I know nothing about bikes, but they told me DDIL 's is a Langma Giant Viv. Made by a woman for women.
    My son's is a Cube Attain SL 500 with a 105 gear.
    None of that means anything to me!

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx

Nice bicycles! Did your son go to Germany for his?

M in Oz

• cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    cmsavells wrote: »
    I spent 7 hours in the ER with my mom. Apparently she had a migraine headache. She hasn’t had a migraine in years. Sleeping now, thank goodness!!

The bike ride looks awesome. I’m getting ready to head to the park for a walk. The weather is awesome today, but it’s supposed to be 92-98 all of next week! So done with the high temps!!

Allergies - Louisville, KY is a top 10 city for allergies! Columbus, OH wasn’t much better. The ragweed is making me miserable!!

Connie in KY

Connie, two years ago this month I had my first ambulance ride when I had a headache appear out of nowhere. I was at an event and I scared the other people (and myself), so they called 911. The ER diagnosed it as a sudden onset migraine. I had never had one before. I was actually glad I went by ambulance or I would have had to sit in the ER for hours waiting to be seen. After the diagnosis I felt kind of stupid for riding in an ambulance for a headache, but neither the EMTs nor the ER personnel made me think so.
    It wasn’t crowded when we arrived at 9:30 AM, so we were seen immediately. Mom’s blood pressure was 200/100 which also hastened them along. This ER doctor was just a bit over the top. My mom had staging scans for her breast cancer done 3 weeks ago. This guy was adamant that she had become metastatic to the brain. Did an MRI which was negative. He was going to send her home without rechecking her blood pressure. He decided to give her meds for nausea and her blood pressure, but refused to give her anything for pain. My mom had horrible migraines before menopause, so this was the first in 30 years. We got home and she took 2 Tylenol and drank a bit of coffee because caffeine always helped in the past. She slept for hours and felt great today. She even asked to go visit with a friend. I had a headache after the visit. They both need hearing aids!!

Connie in KY
  • cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Connie I hope your mother is doing better. I've had a few trips to the ER myself for migraines.

Do you know what her triggers are?

Lynda, my mom hasn’t had a migraine since menopause 30 years ago. We have no idea what triggered this one, but my guess is stress!

Connie in KY
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Rho97070
    Rho97070 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Sharon Congrats on the 100lb weight loss!!! Beautiful photos and I agree with Carol and KK - you are gorgeous! My gosh! Do your eyes sparkle!!! I'm envious of your trip :# Oaxaca is one of my favorite places.

Barbara, Southern OR Coast (SOC) I heard you, hearing me ;) Researching the steps involved to do the t-shirts is on my to-do list this week. Thanks for the nudge :)

Pip You rode Sixty miles. For a cause! You deserve pats on the back. Lots of 'em. You're an inspiration. Brag on sista :)<3:)

Lisa (rvfamilyfour) Congrats on being so close to below the line on, I'm assuming, T2D, and dropping two pant sizes. Woo-hoo!!! Woo-hoo! My best friend plateaued for quite a long time then took up Keto. It was a challenge for her to get into the swing of things, but once she did those final pounds shed. Many of the recipes she made and shared with me were absolutely scrumptious! Good luck and keep us informed how it goes.

Migraines Connie I hope your mom is better soon. I've never had a migraine. Just the thought of one scares me. I think I'd rather have a root canal without an anesthetic :o

Michele NC Awww, thank you :blush:

Rho (south of PDX)

• evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    So, I've decided that I'm now on the glutton free diet! 😂
    LOL!! That's the diet for me for sure!!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island

• Rho97070
    Rho97070 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Beth near Buffalo Ah, ha! IF = Intermittent Fasting. I'm not sure what the "16:8" daily means, but figure I learn in the somewhat near future. I have a strong notion that I'll hit a wall at some point and have already decided to go IF when it happens.

Day 8 - Reinventing Rhonda
    Today was a good day! BF and I cleaned from top to bottom - even the windows and carpets. I found a cleaner on Amazon (Carpet Miracle - Biodegradable & Non-Toxic) that's the only one that doesn't affect my allergies. And does an amazing job. And, after tracking my food for a week, I finally got under all of my limits.

Week 1 down - 2 pounds lighter :)

Week 2 goal - Walk more. Drink more water. And stay under my food limits, consistently.

I'm feeling very happy and grateful for this forum. The comradely in 50+ Women is insightful, humorous, and encouraging.

Thank you all for being here!!! <3<3<3

Rho (south of PDX)

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,461 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Rho: Excellent first week!
    16:8 -> 16 hours fasting with an 8 hour eating window.
    E.g.: Fast between 6pm and 10am the next morning. Eat between 10am and 6pm

Connie: (((hugs))) Hope your mum doesn't have a recurrence of those migraines.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,379 Member
    Options
    Sharon - Sorry to hear about your grandchild's depression. :'( She is lucky to have you as a listening ear. DH and I often talk about being there for our grandchildren when they are older. <3
    The wedding looks lovely and you look amazing! Enjoy your Mexico holiday - I spent a month over there in 1992 and was there for a holiday a couple of years ago. Would love to go back, but would hope to skip the food poisoning. :o It was a posh hotel too. Grrrrrrrrrr!

Karen - LOL! :D:D:D The interior is just as crazy as the outside! Love it.
    I really appreciate all the work you are putting in for your grandson. It was lovely to see a photo. He didn't look a bit how I imagined! I think I'd thought he was younger. Hard to take on a teenager.

Machka - I think he bought it locally. Brighton is stuffed with bicycle shops and there are a lot of cycle lanes. Along the seafront you have to be careful not to get mown down. We are always dragging visitors out of the cycle lane!

Rainy morning, but it's supposed to clear up this pm. If it does I might run. My knees are a bit sore though, but they always seem to get me round. Haven't run for a week.

Rhonda - You certainly had a lot on your plate with your boys and you can now enjoy your 'me time'. Decluttering is so good, isn't it. Does your BF live with you? I'm assuming not. DH and I need a lot of space for our happiness. If anything happened to him I would radically rethink my lifestyle. We met in our fifties and had to do quite a lot of 'shaking down'. Now we rub along very well. :smiley:

I managed to change the heating to AUTO, so I woke up to a warm house this morning. DH leaves all that sort of thing to me and I am so frightened of all things technical, but manage in the end. I used to be married to an engineer, so I am constantly surprised by how little DH knows about technical things. I do it all, like setting the clock on the cooker etc. He only bought a smartphone a couple of months ago and has struggled. Still is resistant to apps etc.

Still thinking about how to get started on editing the beginning of my memoir. :neutral: My son said, "Cut it down, you are not Winston Churchill. " Nice to be appreciated! :sad:

Much love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,837 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Monday! My early arrival is going to be later today, due to a doc appt. so I have time to chat a bit!
    Machka- What a sweet and special gift from your sister in law! Time at the beach is always nice, whether overcast or sunny. So relaxing to be away from the stresses at home! And a kitty, too?! I will have to look online and see if there are any children's books about Trim! (I googled it)
    Heather- Love the upside down house pic! We have an upside down house in the U.P. (Upper Peninsula of Michigan). Although it is in my home state, it is a good seven or eight hour drive from where I am; so I have never been. lol YOur son's comments in regards to your memoir; lol this sounds like something my daughter would say to me. Kids can be so tactless sometimes.
    Rho- What an inspiring woman you are! Raising our families is so hard (harder when you are a single parent), then suddenly the focus isn't so strong on our children, and we have time to step back and focus on ourselves. That was a HUGE "Wow, how did that happen?" moment for me! To make the whole weight loss journey harder, menopause steps in and laughs at us. Blah. So...I have been trying to just focus on making healthy choices. Eat smarter (not necessarily less) and move more (this is a hard one for me, as my job is an active one). I have confidence that you will meet your goals! <3
    Pip and Kirby- SUPERSTARS! You guys are awesome!
    Connie- So sorry to hear about your mom's migraines! Those are the worst!
    REbecca- Love the new baby pics and the envelopes! That cucumber one is fantastic!
    Barbie- My hubby and my kids all "change" out their wardrobe with each season. I, like you, have minimal clothes in my closet (think about 5 outfits per season) and one dress for special occasion. I was never a clothes shopper (even when I was a twig). Just not my thing.

Well, time marches on. Love and hugs to all! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Heather Here are more photos of my grandson, including 2 from the day his sister was born (a very traumatic day for him - broke my heart). The last photo was in May on his 13th birthday. You can see that he is not enthralled with the birthday gathering. It was time for him to go home & retreat from all the stimulation. He is an inch or more taller than I am now. I am 5'5".
    z9dj86wdcna0.jpeg
    qknasvobmz3q.jpg
    iklc3z4g8wvd.jpeg
    pp5clb4sbhd6.jpg
    5lch44cvhc1s.jpg
    4ew5ja584hc1.jpeg
    wkveznv58bld.jpg

Karen in Virginia
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    KAREN in VA ~ Great photos of your grandson...a good looking young man!

Carol in A
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,781 Member
    Options
    KarenVA ... love the photos of your Grandson!

Rho ... 12:12 means 12 hours fasting:12 hours allowed eating, 18:6 means 18 hours fasting: 6 hours of allowed eating ... 19:5 means 19 hours fasting: 5 hours of allowed eating. Those open times for eating are not to be continual grazing, food feasts but the period of time you may eat.

As for root canals without novocaine ... don't get me started! Been there and done that with an incompetent and fraudulent endodontist.

My son's migraines took his high school years completely away from him. He ended up receiving very little education. The home tutoring provided by the school district was really laughable. Innate intelligence and some good luck allowed him to pass state exams/SATs/etc. Medications, diet changes, IV infusions, Botox injections, therapy. You name it, we tried it. We sent him to college 750 miles away on a wing and a prayer to follow his dream of creating music. It's been tough, but he's doing it. The migraines are still there and still debilitating but he's learned how to manage them and continue on with life through them. Maturing, I'd say.

Busy day today so need to get at it!

Beth near Buffalo
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,379 Member
    Options
    Karen - Lovely to see the photos. <3 My elder son was also traumatised by his brother's birth. I don't think he's ever recovered! I went into a deep depression soon afterwards and blamed myself for a long while.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx