WHY do people CHEAT?

Options

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    1sphere wrote: »
    maybe people cheat because the Tinder app provokes them to ...

Is that a joke? There's no one putting a gun to anyone's head to use the app as an easy way to cheat on your spouse, or to even download it in the first place.
    The large amount of "matches" women receive on there is no joke. It's apparent that a lot of girls want an ideal "prince charming" (evident from reading what they write under the profile section). Just imagine how easy tinder can make cheating a reality if they are in an unfulfilling relationship.
    The only way that it fails is if women are spammed by male users from different countries making it too messy and irritating to work through. The app is so vain that it really shouldn't even exist.

Where in this expert explanation of a woman's needs does it tell me how an app on a phone is responsible for provoking someone to cheat on their spouse? I'm struggling to understand this point of view.

My personal experience...tons of married men on there. Some just want to chat and pretend they're single...some trying to make it happen and meet up. I do think the app makes it easier to "safely" coerce women or manipulate a situation to their benefit with very little fear of repercussion. And it happens on the flip side too...there are married women on there too.

that's pretty interesti....

wait.

which married women ??
  • isalsayourface123
    isalsayourface123 Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    maybe people cheat because the Tinder app provokes them to ...

Is that a joke? There's no one putting a gun to anyone's head to use the app as an easy way to cheat on your spouse, or to even download it in the first place.
    The large amount of "matches" women receive on there is no joke. It's apparent that a lot of girls want an ideal "prince charming" (evident from reading what they write under the profile section). Just imagine how easy tinder can make cheating a reality if they are in an unfulfilling relationship.
    The only way that it fails is if women are spammed by male users from different countries making it too messy and irritating to work through. The app is so vain that it really shouldn't even exist.

Where in this expert explanation of a woman's needs does it tell me how an app on a phone is responsible for provoking someone to cheat on their spouse? I'm struggling to understand this point of view.

My personal experience...tons of married men on there. Some just want to chat and pretend they're single...some trying to make it happen and meet up. I do think the app makes it easier to "safely" coerce women or manipulate a situation to their benefit with very little fear of repercussion. And it happens on the flip side too...there are married women on there too.

that's pretty interesti....

wait.

which married women ??

🤷‍♀️ if they stare at their phone a lot and turn it screen facing diwn... those married womens
  • Finishiitnow
    Finishiitnow Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I think the main reason is that people just change. We as humans are constantly evolving; we’re not the same people in our 20s as 30s, etc... With that- people often grow apart, but due to life circumstances they stay together. Not for love but for convenience. Life happens, work happens, stress happens, & sex gets put on the back burner, communication breaks down..

As humans we are wired to be sexual, crave a connection, the desire to be wanted/needed. When our emotional or sexual needs aren’t being met then we branch out to fill that void.

I don’t disagree but for me this seems more of an answer to why relationships end rather than why people cheat. There are reasons when a person chooses one option over another.

So why does one person end the relationship,

another person introduces new practices into the existing relationship,

another might try to improve communication,

still another might propose honest non-monogamy,

and others cheat?

They are all options that might be satisfying and most preserve the relationship. So why one over another?

ETA: and others just suffer silently till the end of their days

Good point
  • Finishiitnow
    Options
    Derpes wrote: »
    Derpes wrote: »
    Many people say it’s better to leave a relationship than to cheat - To leave before it happens. It’s a relatively new idea that divorce is preferable to cheating. I’m not offering an opinion here one way or another because I haven’t formed one yet. And I’m not sure I’d share my personal beliefs on the subject even if I had.

Here is an interesting article. It touches on a few related points. If anyone reads more than 280 characters anymore, it’s got some food for thought.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/oct/13/a-strong-libido-and-bored-by-monogamy-the-truth-about-women-and-sex

The following excerpt from the article is unsettling:

"Another element in the mix, she says, was the finding that a third of women who are having an extramarital relationship say their marriage or long-term partnership is happy or very happy. “So we need to understand that women aren’t just seeking variety because they’re unhappy, they’re seeking it because they need variety and novelty,” she says."

how so?

I should have provided context.

We usually think of the road to infidelity in terms of unmet needs, unhappiness, or worse. In this case, things are going well and the marriage is "happy", yet infidelity still occurs. In short, it is the opposite of what is expected.

Sadly, that happens more often than we think.
  • Finishiitnow
    Options
    I think it's because they didn't find love

I have met people that cheat even when they love their significant others and they have the perfect family!!!.
  • Reckoner68
    Reckoner68 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I think it's because they didn't find love

I have met people that cheat even when they love their significant others and they have the perfect family!!!.

Like shoplifting for stuff you don't need or even really want, sometimes it's for the thrill/adrenaline alone
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Cowsfan1 wrote: »
    Humans man... we some complex mfp’ers amirite??? Human mind is fascinating isn’t it.

I still don't understand the human mind itself

it's not that difficult....

just start with Pizza, then work your way down.

This is an interesting perspective on Maslow's hierarchy of needs and I am here for it
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    ... why does it feel like there's still more shame/stigma (even in this thread) against women who engage in extramarital affairs, than men who do? If one is wrong, then both are equally wrong, yes? So why do women get more flak for being sexually aggressive and/or pursuant in their desires?

Seems kinda... double standard-ish.
    I don't think that one side gets more flak, it's more an issue of how much more easier it is for a woman to cheat via apps. Men can try to cheat on apps too, but it's a hell of a lot more difficult, and that now looks like a fact nowadays.

Why would it be more easy for women to cheat on say Tinder than it would be for a man? You're both still using the app to get what you want. It doesn't exist anymore (I think), but Ashley Madison used to be predominantly used by men looking for extramarital affairs and it was quite successful at what its job was.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ... why does it feel like there's still more shame/stigma (even in this thread) against women who engage in extramarital affairs, than men who do? If one is wrong, then both are equally wrong, yes? So why do women get more flak for being sexually aggressive and/or pursuant in their desires?

I'm not sure I agree with this, it seems like guys who cheat are just "self centered *kitten* players", women who cheat are "looking for something the relationship is lacking".
  • KosmosKitten
    Options

Also, I ask questions and I get disagrees? C'mon.. just come on out and call me scum since whoever you happen to be, you've been disagreeing with each and every post in this thread I write.
  • KosmosKitten
    Options

I'm not sure I agree with this, it seems like guys who cheat are just "self centered *kitten* players", women who cheat are "looking for something the relationship is lacking".

See, I don't agree with that. Men are complex creatures, too. They have needs, wants, desires. We may be biologically different, but I think our innate humanness is essentially the same, regardless of the gender.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

See, I don't agree with that. Men are complex creatures, too. They have needs, wants, desires. We may be biologically different, but I think our innate humanness is essentially the same, regardless of the gender.

I didn't mean to imply that as fact, or my opinion, just my impression of the stereotype