Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,072 Member
    Options
    Tips that have worked for me

Put your current numbers into MFP
    Select sedentary as your activity level
    Choose how much you'd like to lose (i.e. 1 lb/week)
    MFP will give you the number of calories to eat
    Eat those calories
    ... and weigh (with food scale) and log every bite.

A few extra things have helped me along the way:

1) Exploring my grocery stores and markets to find delicious, filling low calorie foods. It's amazing what's out there.

2) Exercising as much as possible. Exercise gives me extra calories to work with so that I can have things like pizza now and the ... but to keep my sanity and not wear myself out, my exercise quantity varies as does what I do for exercise.
    10 Things to Stop Doing If You Want to Exercise
    https://www.verywellfit.com/things-to-stop-if-you-want-to-exercise-1231403

3) Eating how I want to eat. This is where everyone is different ... some people prefer to employ fasting, others like high protein diets, some like vegetarian diets, some like to eat 2 or 3 meals a day, others like to graze. Go with what works for you.

Personally, if I had to define what I do, my diet is probably most similar to a Mediterranean diet with a vegetarian lean ... and I'm a grazer. I also have to adjust what I do depending on my cycling events ... they're tricky because I need the fuel without going overboard.

And stick to it for 5 weeks, then reassess how things are going. :)

And now, I'm thinking about goals for 2020.

It is difficult to make goals because I'm not sure what's going to happen one day to the next. I plan, God laughs ... or something like that. The last couple years have been a lesson in patience and flexibility and giving up a lot of what I would like to do in the interests of what needs to be done.

However, I do have some goals I'd like to accomplish, if possible ...

How to Set SMART Goals for 2020
    SMART is an acronym that stands for Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timely.
    https://www.daveramsey.com/blog/smart-goal-setting

Interestingly, he talks about 7 significant areas ...

Financial Goals: Start saving for retirement, get out of debt, or use a monthly zero-based budget.
    Spiritual Goals: Pick up a new devotional, start a daily journal, or plug in to a group at your church.
    Fitness Goals: Hit the gym more often, take the stairs, and remember to eat your veggies.
    Educational Goals: Go back to finish your degree, get your MBA, or read a good book every month.
    Family Goals: Plan one-on-one dates with your kids, have a standing date night with your spouse, or make it a point to call your mom and dad on Sunday nights.
    Career Goals: Work toward a promotion or raise, learn something new about your line of work, or polish up and send out resumés if you’re looking for a new career path.
    Social Goals: Say yes when someone invites you out to lunch or a social gathering—or, for some of us, say no more often.

I've modified the suggested list above slightly ...

Organisation/Financial Goals -- Getting our taxes done and other paperwork in order. Some at end of January, some in Feb, some in June ... and full speed ahead in October.

Spiritual/Relax & Recreation Goals -- I'd like to start attending church a bit more regularly. I'd like to take more time for me ... like lunch walks a couple times a week, perhaps more photography, definitely more sleep. I got another sleep mask today!

Fitness Goals -- Exercise, Eating, Sleeping -- Working up to running 5 km at least a couple times a month. Working up to cycling 50 km at least once a month. This month has started reasonably well with a decent amount of cycling! :)

Educational Goals -- Uni! I would like to finish my Master's degree in 2020. Submitted another assignment yesterday!

Family/Medical Goals -- Husband -- Never-ending stream of medical appointments + projects with 2 or 3 different organisations. And me! A goal is to get me into healthy shape again! Next up is our Shingles Vaxes on Friday. :anguished::neutral:

Career Goals -- One of the main things my area is planning to work on is streamlining the processes a bit. Meanwhile I need to learn a lot more SQL and as much about what 2 different people I work/worked with did. I'm also on the board of two organisations now. Both interest me a lot, but I'm also hoping that taking on leadership roles might help advance my career a little.
    Back to work today ... getting things sorted out.

Social Goals -- Cycling Club. I've made a detailed list of what I need to do, which helps.
    -- My Personal Website -- I have started working on this. I'd post it here, but not sure if I can: machka . net This has a social aspect in that we go to Wordpress meetings now and then.

Challenges -- I've joined 3 challenges in the Challenges forum. :)
    If challenges appeal to you, don't forget about MFP's Challenges subforum:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/challenges

Machka in Oz
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,613 Member
    Options
    @klanders30 What wonderful memories of your Mom! Hugs sent your way!
  • kymarai
    Options
    My word for 2020 is "MINDFULL". I tend to cruise through things. I want to be more aware of the moments in my life. I have written out my 20 for 20 goals using SMART from Machka. Keeping my word in mind as well. Yay! I accomplished something already today!
    💗
    Kylia in Ohio
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,302 Member
    Options
    Carol: (((Hugs))) I know you will give your pooch what you can while you have him.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    😊
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    <3
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,398 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies, welcome to the start of a new week! <3

Lisa - Happy Birthday Levi, hope all goes smoothly for his grand entrance :) . And hope your Dr visit goes well. Love your word Kintsugi, what a beautiful thought! I might borrow it for myself. :D

Lily - welcome! So glad you could retire, sounds like you have a lot lined up to keep you busy. Thanks for the great intro information, I feel like we know you already! <3

Heather - what a perfect table. You never know what the universe will gift you with.

Kim - thanks for catching us up. Planning early for retirement is a great idea.

I've been getting a lot of walking in this past week, in case there came a day I wasn't able to walk. Today just might be one of those days. There's a flood watch right now.

Anyhow, one of my "goals" was to average 6000 steps per week. I'm way past that average as of today and it's probably good to give it a break for a day. I'll hit Walmart tomorrow morning and be off to a good start, lol.

Closing for now - make it a stupendous day! <3

Lanette
    Really rainy SW WA State with SNOW predicted next week. B)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    Options
    Lilylady3k wrote: »
    klanders30 wrote: »
    So with that in mind, I've laid out my exercise clothes and will slip into them first thing when I get through the door, walk on the treadmill with a pod cast!

NYKAREN

Karen - GREAT planning ahead! What podcast are you listening to? I love Revisionist History and Hidden Brain. They make me think and explore areas that I've not thought about. Also I love audiobooks (2 book clubs ... have to keep up) when walking! Currently listening to Little Women since I know the story line but really can't remember if I ever read the book LOL Then plan to have a movie night with my sister to watch Little Women when it starts streaming on tv. I've found that listening to Spanish lessons via my airpods I get really strange looks walking in the neighborhood ... since I'm repeating the sentences out loud!

:) I listen to "Savor" (about food and its history), "Happier" (Gretchen Rubin), "10% Happier" (Dan Harris), "Spilled Milk" (sort of about food, but mostly comedy). I check out audio books from the library and am currently listening to the most recent book by J.A. Jance,

<3 Barbie from NW WA
  • kymarai
    Options
    <3