Happy Birthday Rori :flowerforyou:
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    😁
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Pip ~ That bruise looks awful. You are so lucky you didn't break you hip. Please be careful.

Love the photo of your back yard. It must be wonderful to look out the window at that scene.

Carol in GA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,727 Member
    Options
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    Pip ~ That bruise looks awful. You are so lucky you didn't break you hip. Please be careful.

Love the photo of your back yard. It must be wonderful to look out the window at that scene.

Carol in GA

i will... just another war wound
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,816 Member
    Options
    Rori~ Happy Happy Birthday , you deserve a break my friend...
    well found out today a younger girl with less money making potential got the job as receptionist...oh well
    and what they dont know is that the Recreation assistant will be leaving for a full time job at the hospital.. good luck with that.. but im sure they wont look to me to become a rec assistant because i wont work for 12 bucks an hour
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rebecca: Where do you expect to find warmer weather in January? Are you thinking of Las Vegas? Arizona? New Mexico? I heard that we all have to have passports to go on any jet, anywhere. I hope I’m mistaken. :grumble:

Viv UK: I haven’t heard of a house call from any doctor other than a blood relative. :noway: My uncle was a doctor who made house calls to family members on rare occasions. In our town, paramedics from the fire department come in an emergency. They will provide first aid and/or a ride to the hospital if needed. The nearest hospital to us is about 30 miles away. :star:

Rori: Happy Birthday!!!!! :heart:

Pip: Your snowy yard is beautiful! :star: Your bruises look painful. Ouch! :flowerforyou:

Barbara: It is wet here, too. I don’t see a drought forecast in our near future. :noway:

Carol: Your grandson is a handsome boy. Thanks for the photo. :smiley:

DH is still lingering in bed as I visit with you and have morning coffee. I have a city meeting this evening. I studied my packet last night and will give it another look today.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    It is snowing and blowing! What a surprise!
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Katla - You don't have to have a passport to get on a plane. You have to have the new "Real ID" driver's license. Some states already have them. The deadline to get one is October 1 of this year. If you don't have one, you will have to use your passport or some other ID that has the same capability to board a plane. My license expires in August and I will get the new one. Other people will have to either pay to get a new license with the Real ID or use a passport. You can check yours to see if it has a black star at the top. Apparently Ohio has a gold star, but it has to be a black one.

https://www.tsa.gov/real-id

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,115 Member
    Options
    Glad you brought that up about the ID. I'm flying in March and I never heard of it. My Delaware license has a gold star, but that seems to be okay. Ohio is different for some reason.

The saga with my parents' phones continues. My Dad ruined the charging port on his phone by trying to remove the back cover with a screwdriver. His record of fixing things is very good, so I'm inclined to forgive one error, but my Mom is irritated. I hope my phone lasts forever!

Annie in Delaware
  • sh0tzz99
    Options
    Real ID edit - I think some airports already require the Real ID, so be sure to check. I only know our airport isn't required to use them until October.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,968 Member
    Options
    Pg. 39 done. Gotta get to work.

RvRita
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    It seems strange to this Brit when you talk about your houses. Our plots of land are worth money even if the house is a ruin. And if you walked away the council would come after you. I suppose an old ruin in the deep countryside would not be worth much, or in some old industrial towns, but our bricks and mortar houses are nearly always worth saving. On our small island, land is at a premium. Finding a building plot with planning permission is very difficult.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Yes. The land here is also worth something, but generally, (and there are exceptions) that is not the main value. Sadly, in the US, it is not uncommon for people to buy a "house," then tear it down and rebuild a new one. I don't think they would do that if the land itself was not valuable. We are a very throw-away culture here. For instance, when I go back to my home town, there are still houses there when I was young (my childhood home is still standing), but nearly everything surrounding those homes, and some homes, have been demolished and rebuilt. It is nearly unrecognizable, in fact, the area surrounding where I went to elementary school is absolutely unrecognizable. Many of the homes I played in as a child are gone. That is one of the things that struck me when I visited England -- the ages of the buildings, especially some of the homes.

I also think some cities or housing associations would not allow homes to get to the state my mil's house was in without dire consequences. But she lives in a republican/libertarian state that, apparently, doesn't care. Her neighbors sure do care, however, I can attest to that!

Flea
    Willamette Valley
  • OregonMother
    Options
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    Had to share this photo of grandson. The new haircut made his beautiful blue eyes visible.

Happy Birthday Rori!

Carol in GA

Adorable, Carol!

Flea
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    Our DVS has had all kinds of problems. They require a lot of personal info to get a real ID because of the problems I am not comfortable giving them that much info. Check what you need so it save you a trip back. I already have a passport and will using that I did not get a real ID when I renewed. When my passport expires I might. Hopefully I will the DVS here will be better by then.
  • sh0tzz99
    Options
    Housing - In CA, the land has the value...a lot of it. That doesn't mean they won't tear the house down (most don't), but you are actually paying for the land here as opposed to the home.
  • OregonMother
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Real ID edit - I think some airports already require the Real ID, so be sure to check. I only know our airport isn't required to use them until October.

Oregon is one of the states on the bad ID list. I'm not sure we even have the option for Real ID? I have heard a lot of talk about it on OPB (the public radio station), but I haven't listened very carefully because I have a passport. I have just decided that I am traveling with it at all times now.

It was pretty shocking, I will admit, when I went to get an Oregon driver's license and register my car, after I moved here. I brought proof of my address, but they didn't ask to see any of it. I don't think they want to keep undocumented or homeless people from being able to get an ID, but I am not sure. I just remember being very surprised.

Flea

• sh0tzz99
    Options
    Flea - I was under the impression that all states were required to convert by this year. Some states have had them for years, but since CA is so disorganized and big, governmentally, it was able to extend until the last minute. I know some other states got extensions too. I don't like carrying my passport around, so if I'm flying domestic, I would prefer to use something else.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday, Rori!
  • OregonMother
    Options
    Good morning!

Happy birthday/anniversary, Rori.

I'm sorry about the job, Allie. That is disappointing.

I am pretty knackered, as our UK friends would say, this morning. When my husband is gone, I try to watch shows that I would like to watch that he would have no interest in, so I have binged watched Anne with an E. Since I am flying out today at 5 pm, last night was my last opportunity to finish the series. I was up until 4 am, watching it! Oh my. So silly of me, but it was worth it. I was afraid that by the time I had an opportunity to finish up the series, months would have gone by, and I would have forgotten everything. I thought it was a fantastic series, but I've never read the books. I did get really mad quite a few times because of how hard the stupid show made me cry, especially the Easter scene, for those of you who have watched it. I hate being manipulated by melodrama, but I also loved it, at the same time!

My husband seems to be doing okay. My son is still weepy and doesn't want to talk about it much, but he did agree to be a pall bearer. He was reluctant, but I assured him it would be fine, so he agreed.

I won't be checking in much while I'm away because I am not taking a computer.

We had a few flurries this morning, but it is 35, so nothing stuck, and it's not doing anything now. I am thankful because I didn't want snow or ice to disrupt our flight taking off.

Flea
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,727 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Rebecca: Where do you expect to find warmer weather in January? Are you thinking of Las Vegas? Arizona? New Mexico? I heard that we all have to have passports to go on any jet, anywhere. I hope I’m mistaken. :grumble:

Viv UK: I haven’t heard of a house call from any doctor other than a blood relative. :noway: My uncle was a doctor who made house calls to family members on rare occasions. In our town, paramedics from the fire department come in an emergency. They will provide first aid and/or a ride to the hospital if needed. The nearest hospital to us is about 30 miles away. :star:

Rori: Happy Birthday!!!!! :heart:

Pip: Your snowy yard is beautiful! :star: Your bruises look painful. Ouch! :flowerforyou:

Barbara: It is wet here, too. I don’t see a drought forecast in our near future. :noway:

Carol: Your grandson is a handsome boy. Thanks for the photo. :smiley:

DH is still lingering in bed as I visit with you and have morning coffee. I have a city meeting this evening. I studied my packet last night and will give it another look today.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

I ain’t gonna lie, this one hurt