WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Go Heather!! - Tackle whatever you can while hubs is in the home improvement mood :smile:

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    HEATHER ~ That is a tall refrigerator.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,793 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    My wonderful nephew came and took it back over to home depot and then i stuck around and ordered just a frontnload washer and pedestal.. putting a dryer in a closet without an outdoor dryer vent i didnt want to chance it,will just take wet stuff down to the laundry room..not aloud a dryer rack outside.. almost time to go pick my son up..
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options

Changed things up and did Classic Firm Low Impact DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do Denise Austin Blast Belly Fat DVD

Well, when I saw the starter was “ripe” it was too late to make the bread (unless I wanted to stay up until 3). So I let it sit and it deflated but I fed it again. Hope it rises again. The scale wouldn’t turn on at first for me, but Vince finally got it to turn on.

Made banana chocolate chip muffins and I can’t believe how many stuck to the pan! Nowhere near this amount stuck last time I made them. Don’t know why…. Wonder if I should make more tomorrow? I’ll have to see if I have enough to give to the hubby of the gal we played mahjongg with for his birthday and some for the gal who will watch the cats while we go to Denise’s

Faye – dear, what can I say? (((HUG))) And katla, too. Same for Barbara

Vince went to the gun show and he said that it was the busiest it’s ever been, which makes sense.

Barbara – so happy for Joe

Flea – so sorry about your coworker

My heart goes out to everyone dealing with the smoke. This is so sad

Bananas – Vince is working on the coins right now. Guess he realized that it needs to get done if he wants to be able to put up his Christmas decorations

At work today I thought I was having a hot flash. I was so glad that another gal (who is a minor) said that she was hot! It does help for me, believe it or not, when I exercise. A while ago I broke a bone in my foot and couldn’t exercise. I was even sweating down my legs! But as soon as I was able to get back to exercise, that went away.

I really don’t feel pap smears to be that uncomfortable, at least not compared to some other procedures

Carol GA
    – we don’t really care how you got in – we just car that you did!

SuziQ – I’ve tried giving Vince a list of things that needed to be done. Didn’t help so I gave up on that. He’s also more the pessimist whereas I am the (as he puts it) eternal optimist. For example – about this digging, he’s the one who likes to go by accuweather if we should do something. To me, I’ll believe the weather when I see it. Like yesterday, they were calling for rain early in the day. It didn’t rain until around 7.

Well, just portioned out the muffins I was going to give people. Looks like I’ll have to make more for Vince.

Oh, yes, the starter is rising, so maybe later this afternoon I can make (or try to) my first loaf of bread!

Michele NC
    Who is beaming from ear to ear. Takes small things to make me happy  :)
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    MICHELE ~ Hoping the bread rises and is delicious!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    Made another batch of the banana chocolate chip muffins and I think I know what happened before and why so many stuck. I used bread flour the first time and regular AP flour the second. This time I like the consistency much, much better. I never thought bread flour would do that!

Michele NC
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s
    Rita that is one lucky cat, to survive snake bite and to have you to care for it. Spray showering the cat 3 times/day? You are truly an angel! If anyone can make salt cedar look good, it’s you!.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    August: better than July.
    daily: sit with Joe: 11, weigh: 10, steps>5491=Tue: 4252, Wed:3841, Thur: 3228 vits=9.5 log=10 CI<CO=5 CI<250<CO=3 Tumble & Shadow 5=8 mfp=10 outside=6 up hill=7
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx=1 dance= clean 30 mins=2.5
    mnthly: board mtg= grant= 20for20=
    bonus: AF=5 play= sew=

Thank you for the vote of confidence! You are too kind! 😊

RvRita
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Faye - I followed your link ”
    https://www.koin.com/news/wildfires/fireworks-found-near-brush-fire-in-corbett/” and noticed that it was dated 2017, and reposted - so did a little goggling and the Eagle Creek Fire in 2017 was started by fireworks; and but in 2020 there are no fires called the Eagle Creek fire, just many repostings of the 2017 fire. Although there are fires in the area of Eagle Creek, none of them started by fireworks.

It drives me insane that it is so easy for unethical news organizations to lead folks astray. Living in a wildfire area is tough enough – but then to lead people to believe that someone started it, knowing full well that they are reposting a 3 year old story is unethical and in my mind that “news” organization should be shut down.

The numbers you ladies in Oregon are getting for your AQI are unbelievable… NOT that I think you are lying, just they are so high! Take care !! thinking of you.

Kim from N. California
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Air Quality now at 552 according to the update. Nose, eyes, and throat burning with a headache, but I am OK and hanging in there. I always think of the less fortunate than me and that inspires me to be stronger and help others. I have food and supplies and thankful all close fires have been stopped very quickly. The mail and the package delivery people are out and about and young neighbor lady called to see if I was alright. I haven't heard one siren today. That all lifted my spirits. A grandson of my friend stopped by to check on us. He says most of the town is shut down. He is out doing emergency AC repair work. Reminded me to change my filter again soon.

Workout I have been online trying to find a new workout bra and bottoms. I finally found the perfect bra in medium tan and I have four bottoms in a darker brown which will work nicely. I wanted two of them but was lucky to get one as they are discontinued.

Thanks to all of you for your concern. That means a lot.

Carol Thanks for the reminder for more careful wording.
  • Faetta
    edited September 2020
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

Faye - I followed your link ”
    https://www.koin.com/news/wildfires/fireworks-found-near-brush-fire-in-corbett/” and noticed that it was dated 2017, and reposted - so did a little goggling and the Eagle Creek Fire in 2017 was started by fireworks; and but in 2020 there are no fires called the Eagle Creek fire, just many repostings of the 2017 fire. Although there are fires in the area of Eagle Creek, none of them started by fireworks.

It drives me insane that it is so easy for unethical news organizations to lead folks astray. Living in a wildfire area is tough enough – but then to lead people to believe that someone started it, knowing full well that they are reposting a 3 year old story is unethical and in my mind that “news” organization should be shut down.

The numbers you ladies in Oregon are getting for your AQI are unbelievable… NOT that I think you are lying, just they are so high! Take care !! thinking of you.

Kim from N. California

KIM
    The big fire was 2017 but the one from the fireworks in the photo was yesterday. The writer did make it a bit confusing. 2017 was started by a teenage boy throwing fireworks in a small canyon. The one yesterday was started by fireworks lit by the side of the road. If you read the small print under the photos, it says Sept. 11, 2020. I best be careful as I don't want to violate the forum rules.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Faetta
    Options
    JustSomeEm Thanks for the reminder. I will try to be more careful and stick to the fitness and health connection.
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    :p
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Carol in GA: We live in a worldwide stress festival between Covid 19 & politics. Adding west coast fires just makes it all seem overwhelming. Where I live, we are experiencing poor air quality today. Smoke is flowing down the Columbia River in front of us and it makes the air quality much worse than normal. There are no actual fires nearby, and I hope it stays that way. There is a significant amount of damage as you follow I-5 from Portland southward and in small towns in the Cascade Mountain Range foot hills. People have lost their homes and, in some cases, the lives of loved ones. Faye lives near the same Columbia River as me about 100 miles east of here, give or take. I looked at the fire maps online last evening and saw fires from California all the way to BC Canada & Alaska. :broken_heart:

Allie: I hope you enjoy your new washer. :smiley:

Kim: Air quality is poor. My lowgrade headache is proof enough for me. We have fires along both sides of I-5 from the Ashland/Medford area all the way to the Cascade Foothills to the East, & Coast range to the West, plus Salem & Portland. We live NW of Portland beside the Columbia River. Smokey air is covering the Columbia River in front of us from bank to bank. I can usually see the Washington side of the river, but it is not visible today. :ohwell:

We haven’t been watching the news for the past few hours. I’ll wait until later to watch the news of the day.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    Wow-I can't imagine what it is like for those of you dealing with the fires. It is good to hear you are all coping and hope the rain does come Tuesday (of course, sooner would be good). And then we have the tropical storms kicking things up in the southeast. Covid continues to steadily climb in my part of the world (certainly not the numbers in the large city, but far more than many thought we would have). We have a university in town that has quite the outbreak going on. I'm just continuing to be very cautious.

Stopped by work for an hour or so this morning. We are getting parking lot redone and assistant director and I met there in case the guys doing the striping had questions (they did). Was nice to be out side and chat for a bit. Was up very early this am and went to grocery store and then took an hour walk before going in. After lunch, I was doing some on-line shopping and fell asleep-had a great nap. Just writing rest of day off to being lazy. Rather enjoyable. I did end up ordering a new sweater and long sleeved t shirt for the upcoming cooler weather. I miss going into stores for general shopping, but I don't want to be in very crowded places and I know once I go through the door, I will have to look at everything.

Heather-I like the look of your new fridge. Taking the cabinet down will be awkward but not hard. Your husband can probably help son by holding on to bottom to balance as it comes down. Refinishing floors has really come a long way.

SIL dog has still not returned. Someone posted on the facebook page they saw her a decent ways down the road. SIL checked and didn't see her. We will hope she turns up.

Off to watch something mindless on tv-currently watching "Ancient Aliens." Don't know why, but I find it fascinating.

Stay safe all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Evening all.

Celebrated DH’s birthday today, so I see a little bounce up in my near future.

We had afternoon coffee with DYD in the garden. We had to adjourn into the garage as it started to rain. She had come round and brought her dogs with her to wish her dad happy birthday.

My daughter has been trying to get a test slot for 16 yo grandson. He has been back at school barely a week and has developed a cough over the last 2 days. One of the other pupils tested positive a week ago, but the school said it was before school started. Apparently, there are no slots or home kits available. Doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence about the current situation. He’s probably okay, but it would be better if we knew for sure. We haven’t been to see them since early August, so worried about them, not us.

SiL told us yesterday that she has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. She seems quite upbeat about it. She is taking it seriously has been working on losing some weight and has lost over a stone so far.

☘️ Terri
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,414 Member
    Options
    Katla - "stress festival", no kidding.

I happened onto this site to check out my farm friends who live near Eugene: https://data.statesmanjournal.com/fires/?_ga=2.199968941.244981986.1599749823-266699516.1599749822

Fires have definitely diminished from their area compared to yesterday. Air quality still horrible, as you might know. I keep tabs on our weather using weather underground: wunderground.com which I think gives a fairly accurate depiction of the current AQI under the forecasts, about 1/3 of the way down the page.

Getting cabin fever!! Have been unable to walk with my neighbor for nearly a week now-she was on vacation all week, got back yesterday, and we won't be pounding the pavement as long as this smoke hangs around. We're at AQI 186 right now.

This morning we had heavy dew and fog and the air was pretty smoke free breathing wise! Got a few things done outside. It was so chilly I thought the furnace would come on - good thing about the smoke is it's keeping the sun away! Don't mind it being cool one bit. Plus I didn't have to water the garden, still damp from yesterday.

Healthy eating.... not so much this week. Planning to make a huge pot of my "progresso" lentil soup tomorrow.

Rori - so glad your helper is working out! Sorry about your foot. When I remember, I sit and pull my toes "up", kind of a sitting calf stretch, and it seems to help. My problem isn't morton's neuroma, it's just "plain" old metatarsalgia. Orthotics definitely helping and I probably need to get new shoes, I've been wearing my Hoka's for a year now (mainly just for walking though.)

My house shoes are rubber "Oofos" with a high arch. Very comfy, I have to wear socks with them, I think they are also known as recovery slippers. But no pain in my feet at all. Most online shoe companies and Amazon sell them. They are spendy but last a long time and are easy to clean. I generally wear the clog style so I can walk the dogs in wet grass.

OK ladies, time to get after dishes.

Have a great evening all, and keep up with the rain dances!

Lanette B)
    Smokey SW WA State