June 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic that lake house view is beautiful. I really hope your back feels better! It would be a shame to miss out on the kayak. But listen to your body. It might be telling you to just kick back and enjoy the weekend 😉
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    6-1 7k tempo
    6-2 rest
    6-3 7k tempo
    6-4 6k tempo
    6-5 7k tempo
    6-6 6k tempo
    6-7 rest
    6-8 7k tempo
    6-9 6k tempo
    6-10 rest
    6-11 6k temperate (between tempo and moderate)
    6-12 7k moderate
    6-13 7k moderate
    6-14 rest
    6-15 7k temperate
    6-16 7k moderate
    6-17 rest
    6-18 7k moderate

June Total: 77k
    June Goal: 150k

Cloudy, rainy, mid 60s F and a south wind. Felt good today, so was careful not to go too crazy.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2021 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

PUT THE FUN BACK IN THE RUN!
    Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs (second attempt)

2021 Races:

6/26 Direction Up 5k, Solon, OH
    7/17 Run of the Ox 5k, Mantua, OH
    9/18 5k Run and Roll, Aurora, OH
  • sweetdaisy13
    sweetdaisy13 Posts: 357 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    6.3 mile run, average pace of 9:12 min per mile and 476 feet of elevation.

June cumulative:
    81.1/120 miles
    9,981/12,000 feet of elevation
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 3.36 miles, easy effort (45 mins Z2)
    6/2 - 3.23 miles, threshold run (25 mins Z4 w/7.5 min warm-up/cool-down)
    6/3 - 3.32 miles, easy effort (45 mins Z2)
    6/4 - 3.35 miles, sprint intervals (12 x 45 secs w/1:45 recovery and 7.5 min warm-up/cool-down)
    6/6 - 6.76 miles, long run (90 mins Z2, 5 mins Z3)
    6/7 - 3.36 miles, easy effort (45 mins Z2)
    6/8 - 3.33 miles, easy effort (45 mins Z2)
    6/9 - 3.63 miles, threshold run (30 mins Z4 w/7.5 min warm-up/cool-down)
    6/10 - 3.40 miles, easy effort (45 mins Z2)
    6/11 - 2.43 miles, sprint intervals (12 x 30 secs with 1 min recovery and 7.5 min warm-up/cool-down)
    6/13 - 8.93 miles, long run (90 mins Z2, 30 min Z3 finish)
    6/14 - 3.41 miles, easy effort (45 mins Z2)
    6/15 - 3.42 miles, easy effort (45 mins Z2)
    6/16 - 3.49 miles, threshold run (19 mins Z4, 7.5 min Z2 warm-up and 18.5 min Z2 cool-down)
    6/17 - 3.38 miles, easy effort (45 mins Z2)
    6/18 - 3.33 miles, sprint intervals (various lengths at 1:2 sprint/recovery for 30 mins, 7.5 min warm-up and cool-down)

Total: 62.13 miles
    Goal: 105 miles
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    25 hours to go before my HM start time.

Good luck! Enjoy!
  • abowersgirl
    abowersgirl Posts: 3,409 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I know I am late... But I am late reading and this is where I am at

Happy belated @rheddmobile

This weekend I am heading to the cottage so that's a nice two hour drive.. hopefully that means I will be able to catch up on all this 🤪🤪🤪

@Teresa502 wow!!! What an adventure and you really know how to retell an experience because it felt as if I was there too. That is absolutely crazy!!! How can people just leave someone behind while in the middle of walking the grand Canyon??? I can't believe that!!! I hope everything was ok with Bob though .. wow I really want to do something like that now!!

@rheddmobile that's fantastic!! My heart skipped a beat for you guys when I heard that. You must be so happy!!

• Tramboman
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    Goal: 60 miles
    June 1 – 5.28 miles
    June 2 – 5.17 miles
    June 3 – Rest
    June 4 – 8.20 miles
    June 5 – 5.03 miles
    June 6-13 – Vacation; Hiking; Traveling
    June 14 – 4.51 miles
    June 16 – 5.19 miles
    June 18 – 5.06 miles

I got so behind on the thread while on vacation and playing catch-up at work but I’ve read every post (250+) and gave a lot of likes, hugs and inspires! I got back from vacation Sunday night and had to leave Monday morning for a work trip to Texas returning on Tuesday but I was able to get some runs in this week. There is a very long recap of my Grand Canyon adventures in the spoiler if anyone is interested.

Congratulations on your ultra @sweetdaisy13!

@Katharmonic – what a fabulous and grueling day of hiking you had! Love the picture of you at the summit.

Congrats @pfeiferlindsey on completing your challenge! Good work!

Good luck with your half tomorrow @Avidkeo!
    We flew into Flagstaff on Sunday and our guide (Karla) picked us up at our hotel at 5:45 am on Tuesday morning. There were supposed to have been six in our tour group – me and my 2 friends, the guide and 2 additional hikers. We found out the night before that one of the additional hikers cancelled at the last minute so there would just be 5 of us. The other hiker was a 62-year old gentleman from Memphis, Tennessee (Bob). We had a four hour drive to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon but we stopped three times on the way. One rest stop was at the Navajo Bridge were we saw two beautiful California Condors soaring in the sky. As we arrived at the North Rim we saw some buffalo in the distance. We began our hike on the North Kaibab Trail about 11:30 and stopped to eat a sandwich (which we made at an earlier rest stop) at the Coconino Overlook. Day 1 hike was to cover 6.8 miles with an elevation loss of 4,361 feet. After the first mile, Bob began struggling and falling behind. After a while, the guide would send us three ahead and tell us certain points to wait on them. Karla took some items out of Bob’s backpack to lighten his load. She added most of them to her pack but one of my friends and I took part of the load. The first couple of miles were really dusty due to the mules carrying people from the North Rim to Supai Tunnel and back up a couple of times each day. We finally got to Manzanita Rest Area which was within 1 ½ miles of Cottonwood Campground, our destination for the night. At Manzanita, Karla decided Bob could go no further and we camped there (which was against park rules). Just as we were preparing to bed down for the night, a hiker came into the rest area and camped overnight on one of the picnic tables. We found out the next morning that he was day hiking with some friends and when he started throwing up at Cottonwood Campground his “friends” left him. Karla gave him some pretzels which he kept down, got his name and a description of his clothing.

mctr62uhwkaq.jpg
    View from lunch spot below the North Rim
    633bvt7as7jt.jpg
    Heading down, down, down.

On Wednesday, we got up at 3:00 am and on the trail by 4:30. Karla sent us on ahead to Cottonwood Campground and she was staying back to hike with Bob and evaluate him after a night’s sleep. Seems like we waited forever at Cottonwood Campground for them but they eventually arrived. Once Karla set down her pack, she went straight to the emergency phone to try to get a helicopter to come get Bob. She also notified the rangers about the hiker whose friends had left him. After waiting several hours, the helicopter eventually came and evacuated Bob. We got back on the trail around 9:30 am. Due to the excessive heat, the rangers advised everyone not to hike between the hours of 10 am and 4 pm and here we were heading down into the hottest part of the canyon at that time. Our itinerary called for a side trip to Ribbon Falls. We were afraid Karla would skip it since we were so far behind but she didn’t. We even took a new path to it that she had never tried before. She said she normally didn’t do that but felt confident in our abilities which made us all feel pretty proud of our training.

After playing in the water and having lunch on the rocks, we set out for Phantom Ranch and Bright Angel Campground. Day 2 mileage was supposed to be 7.2 miles with a 1,600 elevation loss, but we had to make up the 1.5 miles from the prior day. The hike to Phantom Ranch was so hot! We rested in the shade when we could. We arrived at Phantom Ranch, purchased and drank the best cup of lemonade ever made, and bought and mailed postcards to family and friends. We then trudged on to Bright Angel Campground which was close by. The temperature gauge at Bright Angel Campground read 120 degrees when we arrived at 4:00 pm. We put our things down at camp and then hiked to the nearby Colorado River for a quick dip – it was so cold! There was also a creek that ran by our campsite and I wet my hair again before climbing into the tent that night to try to cool down. The temp was probably about 90 at bedtime. This was the first and only camp with running water in the bathrooms. Total mileage for Day 2 was 9.4 miles.

On Thursday after a breakfast of oatmeal we headed out on the Bright Angel Trail. The mule drivers were saddling up the mules for their hike out and invited us to stop and pet them. We then crossed the bridge over the Colorado River and hiked mostly along the river until heading uphill. At the top of the Devil’s Corkscrew, there was a small creek (Garden Creek) tumbling out of some rocks and we took a short detour down to some pools of water to splash around. The mules heading out of the canyon passed while we were taking a break.

o9rfrt7p7aam.jpg

We then proceeded to Indian Garden Campground (our overnight destination) arriving around 10:00 am and 4.5 miles, 1500 feet elevation gain under our belts. We hung out at camp the rest of the day, doing yoga, playing cards, visiting with other hikers and just resting. We completed the book exercise to become a junior ranger and we met the park ranger stationed at Indian Gardens. Coincidentally, we learned that her father works for the same company that I do and lives in the same town in Tennessee! After dinner of chili, we hiked out to Plateau Point for the sunset and a 360 degree view of the canyon. Out and back was 3 miles and once back at camp it was time for bed.

On Friday, we got up at 2:45 am and started hiking at 4:00 am. It was still dark for the first little bit. We passed by a couple of deer in the dark. As we got closer to the top of the South Rim, we began seeing more people. We saw a couple of big-horn sheep on the way out. We arrived at the South Rim at 8:30 am and it was already hot. We logged 4.8 miles and 3,000 feet elevation gain that day.

87xtddkd1b5r.jpg

After a visit to the gift shop and a picnic lunch, we headed to our hotel in Flagstaff for a nice, long shower.

It's always my fear to be unable to complete something I started. I feel for Bob.
  • Tramboman
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    25 hours to go before my HM start time.

Good luck! Enjoy!

Do more than enjoy it. Crush it!!!
  • Tramboman
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Hey all. Am still here hugging and liking as I go.

Been a stressful couple of days. But still managing to run. Well sort of. I skipped Wednesday cause I was so tired.

Today was 20 mins at race pace. It was a beautiful clear calm morning. My run was wonderful. I felt like I could have gone for ages.

Then I checked the weather forecast for the race. The local ones say 25knot winds. Oh well.

I guess anything less than 2:02:37 is what I'm going for...

Though this is the route I first did 10 years ago this week, and did in 3:07:12 so I'll be happy with anything less than that bahaha

Reap the reward for your training and smash your goal!!!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 120 degrees gee whilikers! Remind me not to whine so much when it’s in the 90s here! Great report, I really feel for the guy whose friends abandoned him sick, who does that? It sounds like you had an amazing time!