WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2022

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)I love tomatoes. I buy a package of plum tomatoes from QFC every week and keep them on the counter and snack on them like I used to snack on M&Ms A perfect way to get more nutrition and deal with the munchies.

:) Probably the smartest thing I did when the pandemic started was to create a plan for organized, regular, and intentional shopping. At first we went to the grocery store once every four weeks with a carefully curated list. Later we switched to weekly trips for curbside grocery pickup. We go to Costco every few months at their early senior hours and quickly get what's on the list and get out quickly. We buy a few things that aren't available in either of those stores online to be delivered to the house. There is no such thing as "running to the store for something we forgot". If we forgot it, it has to wait til the next scheduled order. We buy pet food and supplies from Chewy online to be delivered to the house.

:) I finished watching the figure skating at the Olympics--all while riding my exercise bike so I was active while watching TV. In my next life I'd like a different body and figure skating lessons starting at age 3.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

I grew up with "organised, regular and intentional shopping". That's what my mother did and that's what I have done most of my adult life.

Since 2018, I place one online order each week to be delivered to our house. I don't have time to be placing orders every day or every few days. If I miss something, we certainly have enough food to make it through to the next week. If it is vitally important, we'll walk to the little local grocery store and pick it up, but that doesn't happen very often because it's rarely that vital. Food is just for the two of us and Rhody and we can all change plans and eat something else if items for Plan A aren't here.

When I lived on my own in Winnipeg, I would walk to the grocery store (2 km round trip) a couple times a week. If I couldn't carry it, it didn't come home with me. I had 3 cats so they took first priority. That meant I did not bring home chocolates, chips, cookies, etc. etc. I couldn't carry that stuff in addition to cat stuff and meals for me. I was slim in those days!! :)

Machka in Oz
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Morning, afternoon and evening, y'all,

Barbara AHMOD
    - Thank you for telling me about that national day to honor women veterans. In all honesty, I've never seen it before. Congrats on the NSV! Fitness can kind of sneak up on you... :)

Heather -
    Hope the ankle is getting better by the minute.

Welcome to those who are new, we're glad you're here!

Allie - glad news on the medical front has been better, and that you liked the possum metaphor.

All my favorite domestic sounds are swooshing, clanking, or gurgling as the case may be. Pulled all removables from the stovetop and put them in the dishwasher, then sprayed the entire stovetop with degreaser and left it sit. Last night was BLTs (well, BL for me, I wouldn't eat a tomato on a bet). No matter what you do, cooking bacon will cover everything with a film of grease.

Time to swap Corey's work clothes from the washer to the dryer and decide whether or not I want to go to Walmart. There are a few things I want, but honestly, nothing that I can't live without today. Cardiologist tomorrow morning, and x-rays once I'm done with him, then blood work. If I'm not too worn out from all that, I can stop at Wally-world on the way back. I think I shall do just that. Save gas, save the environment, save my energy.

Hope everyone has or had a peaceful Sunday.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

I agree with the grease film! Lee is famous for making up a steak (those little mini ones) with eggs (scrambled HARD) and the steak grease everywhere. And don't even get me started with the crumbs around our toaster....😂😂😂 When I am taking my vitamins, waiting for my coffee, I am flicking stuff in the sink, and thinking REALLY??😋
    Rebecca

I don't have the stove mess from dh, because he never ever uses it- he uses the air fryer and the microwave and leaves crumbs EVERYWHERE and that is not as big of a deal as him not rinsing dishes- that is what irritates me. Seriously, how hard is it to run a bit of water into the dirty dishes- I have talked to him about so many times- put notes up above the sink, still does it daily. They sit there until he finally rinses them a few days later(because I am not going to scrub them out because he is too lazy to put water in them.) Right now, there is a bowl from his oatmeal from yesterday morning, sitting there. I washed all the other dishes but that can sit- I have scrubbed so many of his dishes. Last week it was my Tupperware bowls with his kimchee that sat in them, staining my containers. So irritating.

Oh no! Part of me wants to have an alley chat with your dh! Or you could wash your plants and bowls, putting them in another part of the kitchen and just put his in a Tupperware tub out in the garage. When he runs out of dishes then tell him he can buy some paper plates... Too harsh, yeah probably so. But it feels kinda fun to contemplate it huh?👍💖. Hugs friend!
    Rebecca
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Rebecca - Amtrak is fun. I hope you’ll be able to enjoy a trip to visit your sister and cousin. ❤️

Yep I will stay a week at sisters, if she lets me. Maybe cook a bit for her and cousin! Maybe we could go get pedicures together?
    Rebecca
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies
    Feeling yucky
    Took some cold meds and am going to bed early.

(((Allie))) - Are you still feeling yucky? I hope you get the rest you need. ❤️
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,709 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Pip - it's so unlike you to have persistent pain or other health problem! For you to mention it seems significant.

Karen in Virginia

Your post is the first time I’ve used the “insightful” button.

In the morning it doesn’t hurt, when I start walking the pain is there but nothing to complain about, yesterday I kept track and it was about mike 3 of walking was when it was bad., I couldn’t get past a 3.0 pace walk which is not fast for me. At a stop light it would slow down. It’s not my stomach that hurts it’s the side of my stomach and mostly on the right side only. In the front part, not the back.

Have you had your appendix out?

Nope, I was thinking about that
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)I love tomatoes. I buy a package of plum tomatoes from QFC every week and keep them on the counter and snack on them like I used to snack on M&Ms A perfect way to get more nutrition and deal with the munchies.

:) Probably the smartest thing I did when the pandemic started was to create a plan for organized, regular, and intentional shopping. At first we went to the grocery store once every four weeks with a carefully curated list. Later we switched to weekly trips for curbside grocery pickup. We go to Costco every few months at their early senior hours and quickly get what's on the list and get out quickly. We buy a few things that aren't available in either of those stores online to be delivered to the house. There is no such thing as "running to the store for something we forgot". If we forgot it, it has to wait til the next scheduled order. We buy pet food and supplies from Chewy online to be delivered to the house.

:) I finished watching the figure skating at the Olympics--all while riding my exercise bike so I was active while watching TV. In my next life I'd like a different body and figure skating lessons starting at age 3.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

I grew up with "organised, regular and intentional shopping". That's what my mother did and that's what I have done most of my adult life.

Since 2018, I place one online order each week to be delivered to our house. I don't have time to be placing orders every day or every few days. If I miss something, we certainly have enough food to make it through to the next week. If it is vitally important, we'll walk to the little local grocery store and pick it up, but that doesn't happen very often because it's rarely that vital. Food is just for the two of us and Rhody and we can all change plans and eat something else if items for Plan A aren't here.

When I lived on my own in Winnipeg, I would walk to the grocery store (2 km round trip) a couple times a week. If I couldn't carry it, it didn't come home with me. I had 3 cats so they took first priority. That meant I did not bring home chocolates, chips, cookies, etc. etc. I couldn't carry that stuff in addition to cat stuff and meals for me. I was slim in those days!! :)

Machka in Oz

I am about as organized as anyone. About once a month I look at the meal plan. It actually runs over five weeks but looking round the end of the month means I consider it in plenty of time. Five weeks, I have found through experimentation, is the right length of time for a dish to go from "Oh, that again?" to "Oh, we haven't had that for a while, cool!" I do not repeat dinners, though they vary according to themes. Sunday night is always Chinese, for example. Lunches repeat on a weekly cycle (Monday is always quesadillas; Tuesday is always street tacos, Wednesday is always burgers, etc) and breakfasts are pretty much always the same; I have a toasted English muffin with butter and he has a crustless quiche slice. I make different ones and so it changes out about midweek, depending on how many people wake up to eat breakfast. There's always one in the freezer. When that one gets pulled, I make a new one and stick that in the freezer.

Tuesday I do the family meds and fill up the pill sorters, and this is a job and a half because we all stay sane through modern chemistry. As I do this, if anything is at less-than-a-week's-supply, I call it in to the pharmacy (or the psychiatrist).

Wednesday I make the grocery list. I look at what I intend to cook next week, and write down everything I would need to cook it. Then I weed that out by shopping my pantry and freezer. I don't need pork chops as I still have chops from the half loin I cut up last week. However, we are out of chicken breasts, and someone took the backup ketchup and didn't write it down on the whiteboard. Good thing I checked. The whiteboard is on the fridge door. If you want it on the list, write it down. If you have a yearning for something, let me know. There's a smaller one upstairs that generally gets used for health and beauty stuff....Boyfriend needs more razors, we're out of makeup pads, etc. After I have crossed off what I have, and added the things from both whiteboards, I make the final list.

Thursday I print out the list (someone always remembers one more thing overnight) and go to the store. On the way out I stop at the pharmacy and pick up the meds, which are always ready with that much lead time. I go home, put it all away, make lunch, and start precooking and portioning. That's what I do Thursday and Friday.

Except right now I'm not allowed to lift, so I'll have to take Boyfriend to the store with me to help this week. Grumble. I FEEL fine. But I know there's good reasons.
  • Katla49
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Pip — You are making good decisions for your health. A visit to the doctor is wise, especially if you have had pain. I admire your thought process and know you will make smart choices.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    As far as husbands cleaning up in the kitchen, Vince loves it down here because you have to keep cleaning up as you are going along since it’s a “2 Butt Kitchen”. There isn’t much counter space. I’m used to being able to put the dirty dishes in the sink and then washing them all at one time. This sink is smaller and there’s practically no counter space.

Tina – welcome back

Alexandra – I do pretty much what you do as far as organization goes. I usually go my freezer on Tues, decide what we’ll have for dinner the next week. Then, if I need to make something, I write down what I need. I do keep my shopping list, tho, on my phone so I always have it with me in case I pass by a store where I need something from. I usually have a backup too. An extra ketchup, mustard, etc. etc. Certainly comes in handy when the store is totally out. I can wait until the next time I’m at the store.. I usually do most of my cooking on sat/sun, portion it out, and freeze what we won’t eat that week.

At the race yesterday, there must have been 7-800 people there. I saw 6 people wearing a mask, and 4 of them were employees. Today it was a total sellout, so there were over 100,000 people. I saw less than 10 people wearing a mask.

Went to IHOP for dinner. Just had a chicken breast, steamed broccoli, and fruit for dessert. They say 500 calories for the dinner but theirs includes corn and rice, not broccoli and fruit. Well….just had water to drink.

Michele in FL
    who just found out from a neighbor that she’s going to show people how to play pickleball tomorrow. I’ve always wanted to learn so I’m going to make it a point to go.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,886 Member
    Options
    <3
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Accountability:
    Chose well: Joe, wii, readings, BP, dogs to powerline, steps >7400, CI<CO, livestream church, council mtg zoom
    Bonus: chat with P, message M, 75 mins dusting, vacuuming and sweeping.
    Workin’ on it: 141.8, H20x6, active 5:14
    Friendly February 2022
    20: Make a plan to connect with others and do something fun.
    21: Really listen to what people say without judging them.

Well boo. Joe urged me to look at the details of the winter storm advisory in effect from this evening through Tuesday morning. Convinced me to postpone my semiannual skin scan, with bonus TJ’s, Natural Grocers and Winco shopping. Even though I have studded snow tires and a very warm Idaho snow jacket, the poor visibility, freezing rain, and oncoming traffic on windy 199 could be a deadly combination. Disappointed, but feel I’d ignore guidance received at my peril.

Lisa fingers X’d for favorable results from cardiologist and Xrays. I’m with you on the raw tomatoes :sick:
    Pip do you have a fever? Is there an urgent care nearby? If it’s your appendix, time is of the essence., but you know that.
    When mine went bad, the doctor was able to persuade Papa to ok the surgery by asking “would you rather we operate first thing in the morning when we’re rested, fresh and calm? Or in the middle of the night under emergency stress?
    Beth ((hugs)) frosting your pbutter cookies with chicken mixture :laugh: but yes, a sign to take some rest. ((hugs))
    Debbie Kimchee stains in Tupperware? :cry: :rage::cry:
    Rebecca bon voyage and brava for choosing not to freak out and unhealthily hyperdiet.
    Alexandra sounds like Boyfriend can really step up in an emergency. Well done.
    Thanks Tina. Passwords changed. Welcome home.
    Barbie and Machka great shopping strategies. I’m not so disciplined but do try to limit shopping to once a week and early as possible in the morning.
    Michele enjoy your pickleball lesson!

Husbands and kitchens. I’m really lucky Joe cooks for himself as we eat on totally different schedules. He’s also excellent at doing dishes. Only annoyances, like KJ’s Tim, Joe is constitutionally incapable of wringing out a sponge, and likewise unable to clean out the sink strainer. While I wish we could have a garbage disposal, mostly I can cope with these, gently smiling.

Monday will be rainy and cold. Perfect day to stay cozy and warm inside, like Katla. Will write up the board meeting minutes and set Barbie’s 15 minute tax timer.

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2022: Be still and listen.
    9t3jkbnhrfio.gif
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Lying in bed feeling like as my grandfather used to say 2 cents worth of God help us..
    Gosh the cold meds helped last night ,but just feeling stuffy and yucky and Alfie and i are just gonna lay low today.. lots of fluids and that will be that.
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,366 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Heather ~ So True! Sometimes I feel like I have never really lived the life I would have loved!
  • Katla49
    Options
    <3
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    Barbara I have cancelled a few appointments this winter because of weather. We are getting snow this afternoon into tomorrow and I will be staying put until it is over.