WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2022

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Flea .. wonderful news regarding your scans! Enjoy your trip to Belize.

Machka ... you found your voice when it was most important. Your doggedness with your husband's recovery and his outstanding success, given the "experts" opinions, speaks volumes.

Debbie ... hope you're resting quietly today ...

Kim ... I'm thinking of you as you bake and create with your mom ... :)

Tracey ... that's a great photo of your dad. Thinking of you as you remember him. My dad has only been gone 4+ months and I cannot look long on his photos yet ... I get too emotional.

Barbie ... I forgot to tell you how impressed I was with your blanket for your grand-daughter. I was never able to get the hang of knitting or crocheting even though my grandmother tried (and she was incredibly talented).

This is an enforced rest weekend for me ...
    I had surgery under general anesthesia yesterday ... a hysteroscopy and D&C for post-menopausal bleeding ... though the post-meonpausal diagnosis was in question. My goodness, had two pregnancy tests in the past week! Two polyps found and removed. Waiting on lab biopsies, but since all my other tests prior to the procedure have been negative for cancer, I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm to take it easy this weekend, no lifting, minimal stairs/standing, etc. I'm going to use this to my advantage with my guys. :D

We are way behind with Christmas preparations, but I came home the other day after spending another lengthy visit with my Mom to find my husband had put all the outside decorations up. We don't do much, but he had to arrange life-like nativity figures in the alcove. Other than having Jesus facing backwards in his wee little bed :D he did pretty good!

We do have a Christmas party to go to tonight ... a potluck and I was asked to bring a vegetable dish. Need one trip to the basement to look for two "white elephant" gifts ... pretty certain there will be something appropriate down there given all the moving of stuff we've been doing for my Mom.

Beth near Buffalo

Sorry to hear about your surgery. I've had to have that done twice (2015 and 2017). I hope it's all good now for you.

Saw your post and I'm glad yours was all right. :)

Mine was precancer and I've got to be checked annually.

M in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Just worked but didn’t have to go to the soup kitchen since they had a group. Work tomorrow but then at night we’re going to see TSO in concert.

Steve is coming here. He has to go back to PA. He was diagnosed with degenerative arthritis and there isn’t a MD down there that he can go to. With as much money as he has, I’m surprised that he only has Advantage. Jess and Colby will be here. Tomorrow Ken and Lynette will come here. Steve understands and agrees that he’ll be here by himself most of the day.

Mary – hope you and your hubby get better real fast

Barbara – those pictures made me cringe….except for the last one

Lanette – I would love to get new door for some of my cabinets, but I have no idea what brand they are. I really can’t see resurfacing all the cabinets when only a few need to be done. I’m thinking that maybe I should change the cabinet doors in our bathroom with the doors in the other bathrooms that don’t get used as much.

Just realized that I’ll probably miss Midnight Mass this year. I’m sure Jess has no idea if any church around there has it. She probably doesn’t even know which church is around there. First time in over 40 years that I missed was when Covid hit and now probably this year.

Beth – rest. Yea for a good report. Have fun at the party

Allie – how sweet (Miles climbing into your lap)

Karen – love the grinch

Steve is here, just skimming because want to be a decent hostess

Debbie – glad everything is gone

pip – yea Lucy!

After work went to WalMart for this ornament I found to send to PJ. Even tho Vince doesn’t think it’s a good idea, I do so I’m going to send it to him.

Oh, no, should get ready for bed. Jess still isn’t here.

Michele NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    Options
    Debbie, glad your friend is stepping up, hope it's a quick recovery!

Beth, so glad the results were good...

Rebecca,
    the fish sounds wonderful... I forgot to mention that I used your brittle recipe, and was so impressed! Had no peanuts, so I roasted pecan halves with a little butter and salt and used those. Corey said it was the best brittle he's ever tasted! It brought back memories from his childhood--with 12 kids and two parents in the house, they made it by the vat full, and he said keeping the temperature right was almost impossible. He was totally impressed that it was just a few minutes in the microwave! I sent it with him to work to give to the guys, but had more than one little shard of it myself before it made it out the door. Absolutely outstanding!

Oh glad the recipe worked out for you! It have noticed it makes such a light and airy brittle, like honeycomb candy.👍🏻💖
    It doesn't make a big batch but enough! I could probably eat a whole recipes worth if I am watching a good movie!
    Rebecca
    The piglet, brittle eating monster on
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    Options
    Allie - oh man, that Christmas Tree picture! :p I too laughed out loud, one of the cutest baby photos I've seen in ages. I'm glad you are becoming an expert at sending us Miles photos! Gosh he's growing fast!

Not sure if any of you Pacific Northwesterners would remember, but this photo of Bud Clark, Portland mayor, was a big hit in 1978. I recall he did it as an arts advocacy program or a fund raiser for some social program. Portland and Seattle used to be fun back then and not quite so crazy. I'm showing my age, lol.

qeog320xvf5g.png

Beth - great news! All taken care of and you can enjoy your holidays. <3

Barbie - glad the mobile groomer worked out OK for Bessie. :) I just checked your weather report - you are getting some heavy winds and stormy weather. Looks like the Strait is going to be churning tonight. Hope the ships are able to handle it.

Barbara - and you with the high wind warning tonight! Holy cow! In 2007 our town was under water along with parts of I-5. This first week of December is when the weather seems to hit the fan.

Karen - when you wrote you are grateful for your town and community, that struck a chord with me. Ditto, sister!

Rebecca - OK I'm trying to avoid sugar but saved your Peanut Brittle recipe in case I really, really need to fall off the wagon. Sounds like it would be worth it! ;)

Annie - I'm curious about Teddy. What's the half that's not Maltese? Does he shed?

Debbie - sounds like you have a handle on your recovery. Sending very gentle light hugs!

Ok folks, stay safe and sane this weekend! <3

Lanette
    SW WA State where it's just rainy and breezy.

I met the great Bud Clark at his tavern uptown. It was the 80's and I was a comedy club groupie and there was a place just down from his bar that my comedian friends did weekly open mics at. Good times!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello Barbie!
    Getting back to this group after ages.
    So good to see you going strong.
    Warm regards
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,955 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    THANK you again for the posts- so appreciate them
    Procedure is done and melanoma is gone.
    The shots to numb it REALLLLLY hurt- a whole lot more than my other doctor when he did the biopsies.
    Have an open wound about the size of a nickle that is just covered with a bandage for this week.
    Rested all afternoon after we got home and all evening.
    Pain isnt too bad, just taking it easy for today.
    Glad I will be out when they do the next surgery. Before, that is the one I was dreading but after the pain yesterday, that one won't be as bad- I am sure recovery will be a lot worse but not thinking about that.

Daycare girl is still home sick(sick all week so I ended up with the week off) so I don't have to go pick her up.
    My reconstruction surgery is next Thursday, will take Friday off and the weekend. Will see how I am feeling if I have Ezie on Monday- She starts her three week Christmas break that day so I don't have to worry about driving anywhere for those weeks.
    I plan on getting a bunch of little craft projects set up and ready for her for when she does come.

I could do a few things around here today, just being careful but going to use this as an excuse to take it easy.
    Dh said he can't look at the wound so I am doing my own bandage change- not a big deal but a bit surprised. I shouldn't be. He came in the living room once to see if I needed anything. The rest of the time he was in his room or in bed. He did complain that he was super tired because he didn't get a nap(because he took me to the appointment)after working all night.
    Hopefully he is a bit better after the next one. If not, I will deal with it. Also have friends who have offered to help where they can.

Need to pull out more Christmas stuff out. Storms this weekend so will see if my son can help this evening. If I don't get it out then, I will do it Monday- Just have to go for covid test Monday morning.

Going to finish my tea, catch up on posts here and then make a little breakfast.

Debbie

I'm glad to hear that your procedure went well. I hear you about the shots to numb it REALLLLLY hurting. That's how it was with my biopsy and that's what I am dreading about this coming Wednesday.

Once it's numb, it's not too bad.

I can understand about not wanting to look at the wound. I grew up with a nurse mother who told us detailed stories about what she encountered in Emergency over breakfast. I've got a pretty strong stomach when it comes to yucky things.

But I threw up when I saw my burned foot in 2001, and I felt like I was going to throw up when I saw my nose at the first dressing change after the biopsy.

I'm in the last bit of making sure things are within arms reach and in places where I don't need to bend forward to get them.

As of this coming Wednesday, I'll be off work till after Christmas. My Dr recommended that the more time I spent resting, the better outcome I would have.

Get lots of rest!!

M in Oz

The biopsies being removed I had very little pain with the shots- I was expecting about the same, maybe a little more pain this time but boy was I wrong.

I used to black out seeing needles or blood- then after years of infertility treatments(up to 36 shots in a week and daily blood tests), it doesn't bother me as much. No, I don't like looking at the wound but I can do it- just do it quick.
    He said taking shower will be good for it- not sure about that but will try to gently take one tomorrow but have bandage ready (or, may let it air out a bit and give my face a break from the bandage.)

I just had little black stitches after the biopsies- not too bad looking- now, this one is gross but not terrible. Not even thinking about the scar after he is done if he does the cut all the way down from my forehead like he is wanting to do, if the whole isn't too big. Told him to do what he thinks is best. I will be asleep so won't know until I wake up.

Will be thinking about you on Wed. May wait until Friday to see your update- not sure I want to read it right before I go in :smiley:

Just got two emails with estimate charges- one says I will owe $1659.05 the other says I will owe $00.
    Not sure which is right- So far, I have had no co-pays for any of the visits.
    Will have to wait and see- just be glad to have it over

Debbie

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Breakfast, exercise, then hair trim. I'm going to pay for it with the last of my credit card refund. My personal bank account is teetering dangerously low.
    DH said he will drive to my son's tonight, as their car parking space will be empty. Hope the roads are salted! It's only 10 minutes, but ......it's well below freezing here.
    I've planned homemade pizza, so will have to get that done on time, well before he leaves. I'm looking forward to watching my recording of Kirsty's Handmade Christmas in peace. :p

Tomorrow I will make the Christmas gluten free bread sauce and freeze it. I'm going to take all the frozen stuff I've made over to my son's in the week before Christmas, with the presents, as we will probably walk over there on the day, via the Christmas swimmers, weather permitting. I really enjoy that tradition, with people on the beach in their Santa hats, drinking champagne! The last three Christmas Days have been sunny and beautiful! I won't be doing that if it's blowing a gale!

Have a good weekend, my friends, and I hope all those who are sick, or who have had operations, are able to rest, rest, rest. <3

Terri - Hope things are OK.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Well its 3:15 am here and I woke up sneezing my head off even with the Cpap on.
    I haven't gotten my Roomba going or vacuumed so Im guessing im allergic to dust..
    Im going to attempt to try and go back to sleep and when i get up figure out how to get the Roomba to work.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    Options
    Allie - How well have you been cleaning your c-pap? I understand they can get contaminated and cause the sneezing you are experiencing. It's quite common.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Options
    I'm tired.

Saturday --
    - shoved 320 kg of gravel for my dry stream
    - dug out half my dry stream where it had collapsed because of all the rain we've had lately
    - weeded various parts of the garden
    - walked Rhody
    - washed, hung to dry and replaced our sheets, pillowcases, etc.
    - washed two loads of my clothing and hung everything to dry
    - finished putting up the Christmas decorations
    - packed up the Christmas bin with all the empty boxes etc. so it can go back downstairs
    - organised the area around my living room chair so that I can reach things easily

What else do I need to do?

Machka in Oz
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,394 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Oh glad the recipe worked out for you! It have noticed it makes such a light and airy brittle, like honeycomb candy.👍🏻💖
    It doesn't make a big batch but enough! I could probably eat a whole recipes worth if I am watching a good movie!
    Rebecca

Oh, good! I was afraid I'd done something wrong when it stayed kind of blonde and poofy. Corey noticed too, that it actually had a chew and didn't just shatter when he was eating it, and he loved that. The taste was just outstanding. Think I'll make another batch while the grandkids are here - they'll enjoy helping, and they can eat it before they leave!

Cheers...
    Lisa
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    If you're interested in the Action for Happiness Calendar ...
    Do Good December
    This month, we're encouraging you to carry out small acts of kindness.

Or we could post something we're thankful for, or happy about, related to the holiday season.

December 1 - I love the Christmas music. :) Come December 1, that's almost all I play. Christmas music or classical music (when I have to think at work or when we're in the car).

December 2 - Christmas decorations! We're lagging behind a bit because I usually like to decorate on December 1. But we got the decorations upstairs on Dec 2. Today I'll rearrange furniture and make a start.

December 3 - Summer. My favourite season. And we are finally having a few days of decent weather after a very wild and woolly spring. That's not saying the good weather will last (thanks La Nina) but there should be more of it.

December 4 - Memories. So many of the Christmas songs and traditions remind me of my parents and grandparents and happy Christmases with them.

December 5 - Christmas Displays. I like how many of the shops have Christmas Displays, and some are quite detailed and intricate.

December 6 - Greetings. People smiling and wishing each other Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

December 7 - Shortbread. So much delicious shortbread!

December 8 - Family. Christmas seems to bring us together a bit more.

December 8 - Trees. All over the world, millions of people are putting up trees in their houses and work places and decorating them. :)

December 9 - Sparkly Things. I love how everything becomes sparkly at this time of year.

December 10 - Yummy Things. Mince tarts and cookies. Fudge. Special Chocolates. All sorts of nibbles that only come out at this time of year.

:heart:

Just saw your post, Barbara ...

:heart:
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Aha, finally found a December daily gratitude calendar.
    https://www.spacewiseorganizing.com/december-gratitude-challenge/
    “This time of year, there’s a lot of pressure to think about what we want instead of what we have. Every day for the month of December, celebrate what you’re grateful for corresponding to the theme of the day. Snap a photo or update your status on IG or FB with #spaceforgratitude”
    1sa7taue9pwm.png

1 What is something that makes you laugh? Rhody! We're so very glad we got our little COVID Cat!

2 Something about the current season you’re grateful for. Rest. There will be a lot of rest over Christmas.

3 What about your body do you love/are you grateful for? I like my nose and want to keep it. But my official answer will be legs - for transport (walking) and recreation (cycling).

4 Who is someone in your life that you’re grateful for? I've said husband and parents last month, and that's true, but this month I'll say ... my manager. She has been supportive and encouraging regarding my input into my job.

5 What is a book that changed your life? The Bible. :) With the Christmas season in mind, I'm reading the gospel of Luke now.

6 Think about something you’re good at. I think I'm good at planning and organisation.

7 What is a lesson you’re grateful you learned? To speak up. To say my piece.

When I was young, up till about 17-ish, I was quiet and shy. Then I went through a bolder phase from about 17 into my early 20s. Then the quiet shyness resumed for the most part until my husband's accident. And then the bold me reappeared!

Where I once guessed what people might be thinking and thought my answers, now I'm vocal and even told I'm quite blunt. :smiley:

8 A basic need that has been met. Shelter. I'm very thankful for our particular shelter.

9 What are you most grateful for in the city/town where you live? The proximity to both mountains and beaches. :)

10 What rejection in your life are you most grateful for? Oh that's an interesting question. Either there haven't been many or I don't remember them but I'm drawing a blank. Although ... about 18 months or so ago, I didn't get a job I was going for and thought I wanted. I think I prefer the one I have now. I think it is providing me with more opportunities for experience and learning.
    11 Something you use every day.
    12 Something you don’t need anymore.
    13 Refuge – space you love in your home
    14 Item of clothing
    15 Taste
    16 Touch
    17 Smell
    18 Sound
    19 Sight
    20 Texture
    21 Color
    22 A song that makes you happy.
    23 Type of weather you love.
    24 Professional who helps you.
    25 Something you take for granted.
    26 A TV show that you look forward to watching.
    27 A movie you watch over and over.
    28 An opportunity you’re grateful you had.
    29 A place you love to visit.
    30 A tool you find incredibly useful.
    31 A daily habit you’re happy you’ve cultivated.

Machka in Oz