WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2022

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Debbie, glad your friend is stepping up, hope it's a quick recovery!

Beth, so glad the results were good...

Rebecca,
    the fish sounds wonderful... I forgot to mention that I used your brittle recipe, and was so impressed! Had no peanuts, so I roasted pecan halves with a little butter and salt and used those. Corey said it was the best brittle he's ever tasted! It brought back memories from his childhood--with 12 kids and two parents in the house, they made it by the vat full, and he said keeping the temperature right was almost impossible. He was totally impressed that it was just a few minutes in the microwave! I sent it with him to work to give to the guys, but had more than one little shard of it myself before it made it out the door. Absolutely outstanding!

Rebecca, Would you mind publishing the brittle recipe again! I missed it first time around. Thanks!

Karen in Virginia
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Lanette, Teddy is half Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. He doesn't shed at all, and he doesn't bother my allergies. He is a wonderful house dog, very smart and affectionate.

Well my mother pulled a stunt. She has a freezer full of old meat in the basement. She moved stuff around inside the freezer, until the door no longer closes. Then she left it and told us two days later. So the meat half thawed, and the frost is inches thick. My dad is downstairs trying to get the door to shut.

The meat is a loss but it was many years old anyway. The challenge is to get it out of the house without ' perfuming ' the house. Teddy is fascinated, of course.

Annie in Delaware

I am so sorry. Your mom is a challenge. It's so hard. (((hugs)))

Karen in Virginia
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Lovelovelove the tepee, KJ
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Woke up early, but before breakfast I had sent an email to someone I admire, telling them how much they enhance my life, and put a new post on Instagram. :D
    We've done our exercises and I've made gluten free breadcrumbs ready for the bread sauce. Assembled a pile of laundry ready to go in. I plan to chat to L today, who is recovering from a visit from her sister. I'm wondering how it went.

Must say I'm relieved about England losing to France. That saves two more nights of agony over the next week. ;)
    My son said he was glad of DH's company for the pain.

Looking forward to our singing. :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    If you're interested in the Action for Happiness Calendar ...
    Do Good December
    This month, we're encouraging you to carry out small acts of kindness.

Or we could post something we're thankful for, or happy about, related to the holiday season.

December 1 - I love the Christmas music. :) Come December 1, that's almost all I play. Christmas music or classical music (when I have to think at work or when we're in the car).

December 2 - Christmas decorations! We're lagging behind a bit because I usually like to decorate on December 1. But we got the decorations upstairs on Dec 2. Today I'll rearrange furniture and make a start.

December 3 - Summer. My favourite season. And we are finally having a few days of decent weather after a very wild and woolly spring. That's not saying the good weather will last (thanks La Nina) but there should be more of it.

December 4 - Memories. So many of the Christmas songs and traditions remind me of my parents and grandparents and happy Christmases with them.

December 5 - Christmas Displays. I like how many of the shops have Christmas Displays, and some are quite detailed and intricate.

December 6 - Greetings. People smiling and wishing each other Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

December 7 - Shortbread. So much delicious shortbread!

December 8 - Family. Christmas seems to bring us together a bit more.

December 8 - Trees. All over the world, millions of people are putting up trees in their houses and work places and decorating them. :)

December 9 - Sparkly Things. I love how everything becomes sparkly at this time of year.

December 10 - Yummy Things. Mince tarts and cookies. Fudge. Special Chocolates. All sorts of nibbles that only come out at this time of year.

December 11 - Colours. Reds and greens and a few other combinations out everywhere.

:heart:

Just saw your post, Barbara ...

:heart:
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Aha, finally found a December daily gratitude calendar.
    https://www.spacewiseorganizing.com/december-gratitude-challenge/
    “This time of year, there’s a lot of pressure to think about what we want instead of what we have. Every day for the month of December, celebrate what you’re grateful for corresponding to the theme of the day. Snap a photo or update your status on IG or FB with #spaceforgratitude”
    1sa7taue9pwm.png

1 What is something that makes you laugh? Rhody! We're so very glad we got our little COVID Cat!

2 Something about the current season you’re grateful for. Rest. There will be a lot of rest over Christmas.

3 What about your body do you love/are you grateful for? I like my nose and want to keep it. But my official answer will be legs - for transport (walking) and recreation (cycling).

4 Who is someone in your life that you’re grateful for? I've said husband and parents last month, and that's true, but this month I'll say ... my manager. She has been supportive and encouraging regarding my input into my job.

5 What is a book that changed your life? The Bible. :) With the Christmas season in mind, I'm reading the gospel of Luke now.

6 Think about something you’re good at. I think I'm good at planning and organisation.

7 What is a lesson you’re grateful you learned? To speak up. To say my piece.

When I was young, up till about 17-ish, I was quiet and shy. Then I went through a bolder phase from about 17 into my early 20s. Then the quiet shyness resumed for the most part until my husband's accident. And then the bold me reappeared!

Where I once guessed what people might be thinking and thought my answers, now I'm vocal and even told I'm quite blunt. :smiley:

8 A basic need that has been met. Shelter. I'm very thankful for our particular shelter.

9 What are you most grateful for in the city/town where you live? The proximity to both mountains and beaches. :)

10 What rejection in your life are you most grateful for? Oh that's an interesting question. Either there haven't been many or I don't remember them but I'm drawing a blank. Although ... about 18 months or so ago, I didn't get a job I was going for and thought I wanted. I think I prefer the one I have now. I think it is providing me with more opportunities for experience and learning.

11 Something you use every day. A coffee cup to hold my morning coffee. :)
    12 Something you don’t need anymore.
    13 Refuge – space you love in your home
    14 Item of clothing
    15 Taste
    16 Touch
    17 Smell
    18 Sound
    19 Sight
    20 Texture
    21 Color
    22 A song that makes you happy.
    23 Type of weather you love.
    24 Professional who helps you.
    25 Something you take for granted.
    26 A TV show that you look forward to watching.
    27 A movie you watch over and over.
    28 An opportunity you’re grateful you had.
    29 A place you love to visit.
    30 A tool you find incredibly useful.
    31 A daily habit you’re happy you’ve cultivated.

Machka in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Karen - Just lots of hugs. (((HUGS))) :flowerforyou:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Thank you Heather. I am tough and resilient, but I am tired of feeling battered. Truly.
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,529 Member
    Options
    Karen - So many things, but Heather's got the right of it. All the hugs I've got and then some. Being tough and resilient doesn't mean it doesn't hurt.
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    (((Karen))) I grew up in a disfunctional family (2 parents and 4 siblings). Even though there was lots of strife that resulted because of our parents and how they manipulated all of us during our growing up and adult years, we will be there in times of need. I hope the situation with both of your brothers improves.

Carol in GA
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Karen, Like Heather said many hugs and I second what Lisa said. You are tough and resilient and it doesn't take away the pain. Family, it's exhausting to deal with the dysfunction.

Betsy in NW WA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Karen- thats a tough way to grow up,I have just a brother that my parents adopted when I was 4 and we fought like cats and dogs until we were adults.but thats because I was jealous.. and then he just was a menace
    We love each other .. but he has his hands full with his life right now but he knows I have his back and he has mine.we are all we have with our parents gone.
    I am feeling so much better today.. after cleaning my Cpap and taking the cold meds. We are supposed to be getting snow later on but going with a couple of girlfriends to build gingerbread houses tonight.
    Kelly- daycare momma extraordinaire.. Tracy is having a heck of a time getting Miles to sleep and stay asleep in his crib.. any of you have any idea's for her..
    When she was little ,I let her cry,but Kyle has a temper and won't let that happen and he is the full time worker so she wont let him cry and wake him up.
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    DH and I had a wonderful sing-song with all the classical pieces we learnt with Jason. I found the renditions on YouTube and we have the sheet music. Most went well, but Amarilli Mia Bella was a bit of a shambles. :p
    I find it such a mood booster!
    Then I rang L, who is nearly at the first anniversary of her partner's death. Feeling low. She was intending to curl up with a sherry and a Christmas film.

Love to all. Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Happy SONday! Off to make Krumkake with the girls today. Too much fun. "No wine until the fifth batch is IN the blender!"

11 Something you use every day. boring... but my phone, I just can't live without it anymore, my alarms, my calendar, my notes, my connections, email, texting and of course, phone! lol
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    My granddaughter crawled into her parent's bed every night until she was three. She finally stopped when the pediatrician told her that she needed to sleep in her own bed. She is a "pleaser" type person and took his words to heart.

Carol in GA
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,956 Member
    Options
    Grateful:
    1 What is something that makes you laugh? My two dogs, Wicket and Brownie every day the do something to make me laugh.
    2 Something about the current season you’re grateful for. The Christmas spirit making people nicer at this time of year.
    3 What about your body do you love/are you grateful for? My hair. It is white, pretty full with lots of body. Hairdressers always comment on how they like to work with my hair. Growing it out this winter. We will see how long I leave once the heat comes back!
    4 Who is someone in your life that you’re grateful for? My children and grandchildren.
    5 What is a book that changed your life? The Blooming of a Lotus by Thich Nhat Hann
    6 Think about something you’re good at. Customer service.
    7 What is a lesson you’re grateful you learned? To forgive myself.
    8 A basic need that has been met. My housing at the campground. Free for hosting
    9 What are you most grateful for in the city/town where you live? The blue skies and 300 days of sun!
    10 What rejection in your life are you most grateful for? Losing my job at the print shop. It allowed me to take early retirement, buy this camper after selling my house and travel!
    11 Something you use every day. My phone. I know I know, but like others, everything is on it!
    12 Something you don’t need anymore.
    13 Refuge – space you love in your home
    14 Item of clothing
    15 Taste
    16 Touch
    17 Smell
    18 Sound
    19 Sight
    20 Texture
    21 Color
    22 A song that makes you happy.
    23 Type of weather you love.
    24 Professional who helps you.
    25 Something you take for granted.
    26 A TV show that you look forward to watching.
    27 A movie you watch over and over.
    28 An opportunity you’re grateful you had.
    29 A place you love to visit.
    30 A tool you find incredibly useful.
    31 A daily habit you’re happy you’ve cultivated.

Kindness Calendar:
    December 1. “Spread kindness and share the December calendar with others”: Sharing on here and hope it helps someone.
    December 2.:Contact someone you can’t be with to see how they are: to be determined. I ended up talking to my uncle and a friend, both who live 2,000 miles away!
    Decembrist 3. Offer to help someone who is having
    difficulty at the moment. - I helped a mom fix her son’s bicycle.
    December 4. Support a charity, cause, or campaign you really care about. - I use Amazon Smile to
    5contribute to St. Jude’s Children Hospital
    every time I buy something, including gifts
    December 5. Leave a positive message for someone
    else to find. Left a note for DH with a
    chocolate kiss!
    December 6.Give a gift to someone who is homeless or feeling lonely. I made a person smile who was having a very bad day trying to get a campsite. I gave them one.
    December 7. Give kind comments to as many people as possible today. Done! Campers and DH
    December 8. Do something helpful for a friend or family
    member- I made an appointment for DH to get new glasses.
    December 9. Notice when you’re hard on yourself or others and be kind instead.
    December 10. Listen wholeheartedly to others without judging them.
    December 11. Buy an extra item and donate it to a local food bank.

RVRita
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Rebecca ... I made the peanut brittle and now have to put it out of sight as I can't stop eating it! It is very good and way too easy to make!! (But thanks for sharing the recipe :) )

Beth

The good thing is it makes a fairly small batch.💖👍🏻
    Rebecca
    The peanut brittle peddler on
    Whidbey
    Wa