WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2023

Options

Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Heather, sounds like your thigh needs a little rest. Glad to hear about your delight, I don't feel much of that anymore. One of the downsides of antidepressants on top of a serious type of personality. Moments of worry are far too common for me, and joy is rare even when I strive for it.

Annie in Delaware

Yes, antidepressants do flatten the feelings. As long as I feel calm, I'm good.

M in Oz

M in OZ, I agree with you about the antidepressants. I feel good when I’m calm.

RVRita in NM
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,026 Member
    Options
    How about you? I feel I can be like this more, now that I have more time. I can notice the plucky little weed growing in the wall. I can chat to the butcher. Sometimes being older has its advantages. I have more joy in the little things.

Much love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I try and be more like you and see the good in all things. It does help on my long walks around the wetlands. It is hard to do it all the time when I live with someone who is 99.99 % of the time it is totally negative. He walks in the house complaining and it doesn't stop. If he is talking, it will be something negative, even if it is something simple. I rarely even say anything because if I don't agree with him, I am wrong and I don't want to hear it.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Heather and Terri-While I don't have the extra time you do I am making myself take a bit more. Since I am an early riser I have started mediation and stretches in the morning followed by a sunrise walk (son told me it is good for melatonin levels and you sleep better-I think he is right). I only go for 20-30 minutes then come home an quickly get ready for work. On this walk I don't use head phones-i just focus on sounds and smells and sight. It does mean I have to get lunch, etc. done ahead of time but it is worth it. I may not get to work until 8 instead of 7:30 but since I rarely take a lunch hour so it's all good. And yes-we must listen to our bodies.

Flea-congratulations on stable pics. That's what I am hoping for also. Hope the rest of the testing reinforces them.

Time to get dressed for work-need to hit the road by 8.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

I am going to have to start doing early morning walks after next week. My daycare girl will be out of school for the summer so no more wetlands walks unless I go in the evenings which I may do a few days a week.
    I am like you- I don't have headphones on- I LOVE the sounds of all the birds, the wind and waves when I get to the river. I also want to hear the eucalyptus trees if they start to crack(saw a few fall during the winter and two huge ones fell just after I left two different days).
    I am amazed at how many people have earbuds in, phone in hand, looking at it during their whole walk, not noticing any of the beauty.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,713 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Walk w/family- 1hr 15min 6sec, 38elev, 2.85ap, 84ahr, 99mhr, 3.66mi= 362c
    Strava app= 449c

Kids walked good. Must have lost chispas’s wet vest at the Grand Canyon, boo
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Live in Grand Island,NE with my husband of almost 39 years. We are a blended family with 7 children and 33 with one due in August grandchildren and great grandchildren. At this time we have 2 furbabies Oscar and Kia. I work at the hospital in the commucation dept going on 36 years, hoping to make it to my 40th year and then retire.
    Flea--Stable sounds good.
    Betsy--Sounds like your sister time and trip are going well. What a Blessing. Taking your time is just what the doctor ordered.
    DH and I when we go anywhere we get side tracked if we see or hear of something interesting. We go check it out and we geocache and see all kinds of out of the way places.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :) I walk for about two hours every morning. I enjoy the trees, flowers, mountains, birds, changing of seasons, and the peace of my neighborhood. I wear headphones and listen to podcasts about happiness, food, and meditation. It has served me well for more than ten years.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :)Joy Did the vet check for a microchip? All of our pets have had microchips so they could be identified and returned to us.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    Well had a quick oil change ,then down to the Drs office..
    I just love the lady I see she is a APRN and has 2 young kids and she told me she is leaving in August to become a school nurse.. that way she has more time with her kids,though im sad for me..Im happy for her.. and will wait to see who they will put me with next.
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Joy Did the vet check for a microchip? All of our pets have had microchips so they could be identified and returned to us.

That is the first thing I asked the vet to do as I am concerned that this little dog could be someones beloved pet. No chips or ear tatoos were found.

I also asked that she check for a spay scar when I found out how old she thought she is. She shaved her a bit and could not find any scar but said sometimes with the small dogs, scars can be difficult to see. Advised us to just monitor her and see if she comes into heat. If she does, we can schedule a spay.

Joy
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :)Joy I'm so happy to hear that all is good with Lucy and she is now your furever 🐕 dog 😊❤🌼
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,713 Member
    Options
  • dlfk202000
    Options

Debbie: Great that you can stock up on candy for Christmas....I can't do that. I would be snacking on it.

About a month ago one of the dogs at the rescue bit into my ankle as I walked. It just barely broke the surface. And it seemed to be healing. However over the last 3 days it has become infected. I went for an antibiotic this morning. Just goes to show that every dog bite...no matter how slight ...needs to be taken seriously. It took a month for infection to show from this bite. Hopefully the antibiotics will work and there will be no problem.

Best,
    Rosemarie from Georgia

Sorry for the pain from the dog bite..

The chocolate chips are either in the freezer or in the garage fridge so not too tempted by them. I picked up 18 bags today. They only had 19 at that store so left one for someone else ;)
    I will pick more up at our 99cent store. We go through a LOT of chocolate at Christmas time and is great to get it at 1/3 the price.
    When it gets closer I will get more of the supplies.
    Always have my eyes open for deals on the sweetened condensed milk- will need a case of it.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies
    Did a load of laundry and got the garbage out. And I broke down and took 2 tylenol im in so much pain ,will go Saturday morning for bloodwork so she can get the results to do a referral to the rheumatologist.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Worked then went to the church to pick up donations for the soup kitchen then went to CVS to get a prescription. Walked down to Food Lion since they have hot dogs for Vince on sale

Barbara – sometimes I find that I need to take a break from using heavier weights and when I do, I can go back to the heavier weights. You won’t lose anything by going lighter for a little bit

M – I do use eye makeup but never had a problem until recently. Who knows?

Flea – happy for the good news

Went in the pool before my walk. I have to get in the habit that after I finish in the pool, I must wash my face to get the sunscreen off. If I sweat and it gets in my eye, and it hurts like heck. Just need to wash my face and I’m fine.

Was going to go to Hamrick’s to look for new work shoes (they seem to last only about 6 months) and then Belk’s for handtowels. Decided to go to Belk’s first and am I glad I did. They now close at 8 whereas Hamrick’s closes at 9. Thought finding white jeans wouldn’t be hard – think again. But at least I did get new work shoes

Betsy – so glad to hear of your trip with your sister.

Allie – OUCHE

I wear headphones when I walk around the block but I don’t when I go to the store, mainly because I have to cross one sort-of busy road. I always stay to the side in my neighborhood

Rosemarie – which antibiotic are you on? Vince was on like 4 different ones when the cat accidentally bit him

Joy – as I recall there are two different types of microchips. Did the vet test for both? I know Lexi had one type and the other cats had another. As I recall, most of our cats were Avid but Lexi (because she was from PA) was, I think, home again. There may even be other types, I’m not sure

Debbie – sometimes you just need a day when you have something that tastes good regardless of the calories. As you know, if you don’t, you’ll always be craving it.

Off to watch some TV

Michele NC
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Barbara, the doctor mentioned exercises. I told him I was already doing calf raises and squats. He did not give me more. What do you do? The back exercises they gave me did help a lot back when I injured it.

Allie, when my housecleaners started at my house, they folded the paper towels and toilet paper into a triangle point and secured it with a sticker with the name of their company. This lasted for about 3 visits.

• Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Michele the vet said she uses a universal scanner that will detect if a microchip is in her body. I did read that in Canada most animal shelters and humane societies use a universal scanner.

Joy
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Heather and Terri-While I don't have the extra time you do I am making myself take a bit more. Since I am an early riser I have started mediation and stretches in the morning followed by a sunrise walk (son told me it is good for melatonin levels and you sleep better-I think he is right). I only go for 20-30 minutes then come home an quickly get ready for work. On this walk I don't use head phones-i just focus on sounds and smells and sight. It does mean I have to get lunch, etc. done ahead of time but it is worth it. I may not get to work until 8 instead of 7:30 but since I rarely take a lunch hour so it's all good. And yes-we must listen to our bodies.

Flea-congratulations on stable pics. That's what I am hoping for also. Hope the rest of the testing reinforces them.

Time to get dressed for work-need to hit the road by 8.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

I am going to have to start doing early morning walks after next week. My daycare girl will be out of school for the summer so no more wetlands walks unless I go in the evenings which I may do a few days a week.
    I am like you- I don't have headphones on- I LOVE the sounds of all the birds, the wind and waves when I get to the river. I also want to hear the eucalyptus trees if they start to crack(saw a few fall during the winter and two huge ones fell just after I left two different days).
    I am amazed at how many people have earbuds in, phone in hand, looking at it during their whole walk, not noticing any of the beauty.

I can't walk with headphones or earbuds on because I feel seasick if I do.

For me, walking is a quiet time to think. My life is bombarded with noise, demands, or things I need to think about (like how I'm going to solve a data problem at work). But when I go out for a walk, I can just let my thoughts go wherever they want to go.

I used to use long distance cycling for that. People would ask me what I thought about on a long, long bicycle ride. First, in the first hour or two, my brain would do what I would call a "data dump". I would let my mind wander wherever it wanted. It felt so good to have that quiet time to let all my thoughts have a chance to be thought about. Then I would pick the ones I knew needed further thought and problem solving, and I'd go through them for the next hour or two or three. I would figure out solutions to work things, university things, etc. Once all that was out of the way, I would go into story telling mode and make up stories about the things I saw along my route. By the end of a very long bicycle ride, my brain would feel relaxed and happy.

Walking isn't that long so I am usually still in the "data dump" mode when I finish. But that's OK. I need that.

This is also one of the reasons I'm enjoying working in my garden.

However, as I go along, I always admire and appreciate nature. The birds, the wind, the waves at the beaches, how green everything gets in winter after a good rain, flowers, the colours, the patterns.

And yes, watching out for those eucalyptus trees!! They can be very dangerous!

Machka in Oz