WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2023

Options

Replies

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,528 Member
    Options
    Lisa, Sorry your having to put up with a clear liquid diet before the scopes. Thank you for sharing about your weight loss journey. I didn't know you had had gastric bypass.

Lanette: Thank you also for sharing about the bulimia.

Machka: Hope your knee heals. Love the re-purposed furniture ideas!

Kim: I enjoyed picturing the ladies doing the breast stroke and talking. I hope you become good friends with them!

FitBee9: Congrats on walking 6 miles on the AT.

PIPCD34: Love the camping set up

Katla: When is the county fair?

Jenny and Melissa: Welcome Back!

Jeanne: Welcome!

RV Rita: 112 degrees is pretty hot! Scary!

Rebecca: 17 pen pals! Wow! I have trouble keeping up with this blog! I can't imagine. You must receive a letter every day!

Debbie: Maybe your MIL could adjust to a home and wouldn't that be wonderful for you and your husband!

Joy: This is the time of year in GA when I should be watering 2x a day. I have a couple of hydrangeas that really droop without the water!

Grandmallie: Love the pictures of Miles!

I was losing weight on WW, but suddenly went up 3 pounds. I think it is from lack of exercise...even missing a couple of days is a problem. I am going to try and stand up every hour and do 500 steps!

Also I am going with my son and DIL to a wedding in MA next year. After much consideration I booked
    2 nights in Bar Harbor Maine. We can fly into Boston and out of Portland Maine without an additional fee and there doesn't seem to be a fee to drop off the rental car in Portland. I can always cancel if the costs look too high.

I always wanted to see Acadia National Park where the forest meets the ocean!

I have decided to try and see the National Park by riding an electric bike. I have never ridden an electric bike. The bike will not have a throttle which I understand would make it easier. There will still be about 20 miles of pedaling to do. People in their 60's do this but apparently it is tiring as well. This will be on gravel which concerns me a little. And there will be horse drawn carriages on the road taking tourists around.

So I have a year to get in shape for this one day at Acadia National Park. I plan to start riding the stationary bikes at the gym and increase the resistance and get to 30 miles a session anyway!

Best,
    Rosemarie from Georgia

I may have bitten off too much. I am not sure.

They usually come in bunches. I let them sit on my desk and "marinate" for a couple days. I usually answer letters on one or two days during the week. I don't write every day. Its a fun hobby.💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Good morning, ladies.

Tracey, your shirts are so cute and a lovely pic of you and your daughters.

Raining here today. Wanted to go to No Frills for a few groceries but will hold off until the afternoon. If rain doesn't quit, will go tomorrow as nothing urgent to get. Weather advisories are out that water may be pooling on the highways so decided to be a bit cautious.

Down another pound today so happy with that. I think my sweet little Lucy is helping on my weight loss effort as have to take her out quite a bit during the day so she can explore. Not comfortable leaving her unsupervised as we have a resident fox (Mr and Mrs with pups) that keep bringing in dead chickens to eat. Not sure who has the chickens but they have lost quite a few.

Enjoy your day.

Joy
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,528 Member
    Options
    Hugs Lisa, I hope the scope procedure goes well. I walked this morning for 40 minutes on the treadmill. Just slow, listening to music. I felt a little zapped before even starting, but I muddled thru. Its been awhile since I was this "empty". I kind of fixed food in my head all last night.🙃
    Noon can't come any quicker. I might do these "mealless Mondays" twice a month. Its good for my body to reset, clean house, and things just taste better. Last night wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I slept fairly well.
    Rebecca
    On hr 32 in Whidbey
    Wa
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    Worked, took the cot for Jerry, spoke to the store manager and told her that it really isn’t worth it for me to be there only 2 hours. They had no onions for me to do, Jerry wasn’t there to open the pickles for me so I couldn’t do that, I did what little cheese they had. She told me to slice all the tomatoes so that gave me an extra 45 minutes or so. Still, it was only 2-1/2 hours. I told her I appreciated her flexibility and she told me that she really appreciated me (was she just saying that?). So we shall see. I THINK maybe Jerry did tomatoes yesterday so I’m going to tell him that he’s taking my job away from me and that I would never think of taking his job away from him, but that’s what he’s doing to me. So we shall see where it goes. With all the employees coming and going, I would think they’d be happy with someone who is conscientious and dependable. But they have that “labor” thing, which is something that for the life of me I can’t wrap my head around. How is it more profitable to have someone who is paid (say) $15/hour spending an hour slicing tomatoes instead of me who is paid less? At the end of the day, they are paying more money. But whatever……

After work stopped at CVS for some prescriptions, then came home and wrapped the gift for the gal who is retiring at the soup kitchen, took it there, Lynette’s office to give her coupons. Then Dollar General to see if they have any of the summer towels (they didn’t)

Oh, Lynette called me yesterday to ask if I could make a chocolate coconut cake for early Dec. This is only July, I know I strung the popcorn but I haven’t thought about dinner. I told her no can do because Jess is highly allergic to coconut. She asked if Jess was going to be here. Really, it’s July, we’re talking December, Jess doesn’t know her schedule. So I just told her “yes”. Then she wanted me to ice the cake and she’d put the coconut on it. I told her the icing would get hard, so I’d make the icing and she could ice the cake. That didn’t go over. Then she told me that she may ask this other store to make the cake. She asked me to make an angel food cake, since it needs to be gluten free she’d buy the mix for me. Today I mentioned that maybe she could have the place make all the cakes, make it easier on her. This was after she told me that her mother always made this soft icing (what is that?). Come on….I’m asked to make a cake and then certain icing.

One of my teeth is feeling “weird”. Sometimes it feels like it hurts a bit, sometimes it doesn’t. When I told Vince this he just gave me a look. See, the tooth they did the root canal on, at first the dentist did some sort of “build up” and put these pins in, basically to try to save the tooth. Well, one of the pins shifted and was pressing on the nerve so I needed the root canal. Now Vince thinks that the pain might feel like its one tooth, but may be another (the one that had the crown). A while ago he had someone working there and that person put a bridge on for me. The bridge kept coming off so I had to go back to have it put back on. Finally, the main dentist (the one I usually see) put it on and it’s been on ever since. So that’s why Vince feels the way he does. I like this dentist because his attitude is “try to save the tooth”

Lisa – when I had my colonoscopy, my breakfast, lunch and dinner was jello. That’s the only time I ever have gatorade. They told me to mix the GoLytely stuff with Gatorade (just not red)

Tracey – the vinyl from the Cricut, how does it hold up to washing? I’m wondering if writing “Corner Table” on some towels might not be a bad idea for a fundraiser for the soup kitchen.

Barbara – Vince was so bored when he first retired, he showed me how to load the dishwasher “efficiently”. That’s when I told him to “go downstairs, just go downstairs”. He did eventually get into trains, computers, NASCAR and then ceramics. That’s OK, at least he’s not into “wine, women and song”

M – I, too, cam empathize with not exercising. Like Terri, I get itchy too.

Lisa – you’re lucky you got 2 hours between each bathroom trip. I think I only got ½ hour…. Mother Nature and gravity are doing their thing to this body, too. At first it really affected me, but not so much now. I’ve pretty well come to terms with it

pip – love what you did with the lights

Think I’ll go in the pool for a bit.

Michele NC
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,014 Member
    Options
    Lanette- I think that is what I need!!

Went to walk the wetlands-first time in over a month. Was disappointed that there were so few birds out. No swans, only one egret, very few geese, only a couple ducks. No baby anything.
    Was cool and breezy(glad I had my little jacket on that had a hood.
    Did get 4 1/2 miles done there. Was chilly but better than too hot.
    Did find a cool snake skin almost full. It was in an area I have seen a large snake a few times while walking.
    lsvrdrh3dd0r.png

Will walk with my friend at the park this evening.

Going to tell Ezie's mom to give me her 30 day notice(that is what grandma wants-my contract actually says 2week but 30 day is better for me and for the mom)- If she finds she doesn't want to pull her completely during that 30 days, we can adjust things that will work better for both of us.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    July 2023 Jump Back Up
    Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate my air conditioner.
    Meditation: daily.16/31 (82%(started Feb)94%,100%, 74%, 93%

Walking and exercising slowed down because of record heat this month. Emotionally and physically feeling better otherwise.

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 8/8–(100%,100%,0%,0%,0%,0%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5989, 6411, 5736,(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 2/2 —(100%,100%,100%,100%,100%, 100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 145/208—(100%,100%,100%,50%, 83%, 100% should be 137 by August 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)59/94 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,(100%,100%,100%,0%,100%,100%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 13/15 (100%,88%,100,100%,100%,100%,93%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 26/12 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 6/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, (100%,100%,100%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Take a small step to help overcome a problem or worry. I am working on helping my son through this tough time by being in contact with his case worker and tracking his location.
    2. Adopt a growth mindset. Change “I can’t” into “I can’t…yet”. I try to never use those words. I follow Yoda’s ‘Do or not, there is no try”
    3. Be willing to ask for help when you need it. I will. My back hurts today so will easily ask for help when I need it.
    4. Find something to look forward to today. Missed posting this yesterday. So today I am looking forward to my therapy session.
    5. Get the basics right: eat well, exercise and go to bed on time. Will do!
    6. Pause, breathe, and feel your feet firmly on the ground. Will meditate today to help me do this.
    7. Shift your mood by doing something you really enjoy. I really need to do this today. Did not do this. Had a bad day all around yesterday.
    8. Avoid saying “must” or “should” to yourself today. I will try.
    9. Put a problem in perspective by seeing the bigger picture. Trying to see my son’s decisions through his eyes.
    10. Reach out to someone you trust and share your feelings with them. I did not do this.
    11. Look for something positive in a difficult situation. My son is bonding with his uncle and grandmother.
    12. Write you worries down and save them for a specific “worry time”. I will try to remember to do this. Write them in my journal.
    13. Challenge negative thoughts. Find an alternative interpretation. I worked on this. I also learned a breathing technique to help.
    14. Get outside and move to help clear your head. I do this every day, but the triple digit heat is preventing it.
    15. Set yourself an achievable goal and take the first step. I have to think about this.
    16. Find fun ways to distract yourself from unhelpful thoughts. Controlled breathing helped here.
    17. Use one of your strengths to overcome a challenge today. I use tenacity often so expect to use it here.
    18. Let go of the small stuff and focus on the things that matter. I will try!
    19. If you can’t change it, change the way you think about it.
    20. When things go wrong, pause and be kind to yourself.
    21. Identify what helped you get through a tough time in your life.
    22. Find 3 things you feel hopeful about and write them down.
    23. Remember that all feelings and situations pass in time.
    24. Choose to see something good about what has gone wrong.
    25. Notice when you are being judge mental and be kind instead.
    26. Catch yourself over-reacting and take a deep breath.
    27. Write down 3 things you are grateful for (even if today was hard).
    28. Think about what you can learn about a recent problem.
    29. Be a realistic optimist. Focus on what could go right.,
    30. Reach out to a friend, family member, or colleague for support.
    31. Remember we all struggle at times. It’s part of being human.
    RVRita in NM
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,677 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 13min 30sec, 203elev, 2.72ap, 85ahr, 104mhr, 6.16mi= 593c
    755c
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    Options
    Tracey - The book is called 'Humble Pi', by someone Parker, I think Matthew. Max adores it. He is 12. It is meant for adults, but perfect for young nerds.

Bea was her usual wonderful self. <3 Last pick up this school year.

I emailed my niece with food preferences etc. They are having pizza for the wedding meal, no meat. My son is gluten intolerant. And no alcohol for him. Will I buy a new outfit? ? ?

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,409 Member
    Options
    Debbie - I forgot to mention that it's nice to hear MIL is willing to move to a residence better suited for her. Hope it all comes together just fine and she likes it and your DH can get a break. And you too. ;)

Rita
    - I just checked your ten day forecast - wowser. I think about Okie and SueBDew in the blast furnace as well.

Michele
    - any chance your painful tooth could be from grinding your teeth? Seems like when I have a tooth giving me trouble I can put in an el-cheapo Plackers "Grind No More Nightguard" and after a couple nights, things have calmed down. I used to get them at the Dollar Tree. They haven't carried them for a while. So I order them from Amazon. The package says use for three nights and I'd get a month out of them because I didn't chew them to pieces like some folks must do. Just pour mouthwash over them or brush with a toothbrush.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,788 Member
    Options
    Tracy got together with a former work colleague and went to a garden shop and Miles got to run around a bit..
    Tomorrow is rheumatologist in the morning and then shopping with Tracy and Miles in the afternoon.Thursday morning going to breakfast with Sue and Bente..
    Hopefully Friday I'll be going to lunch with Doris
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,014 Member
    Options
    Tracy got together with a former work colleague and went to a garden shop and Miles got to run around a bit..
    Tomorrow is rheumatologist in the morning and then shopping with Tracy and Miles in the afternoon.Thursday morning going to breakfast with Sue and Bente..
    Hopefully Friday I'll be going to lunch with Doris

sounds like a fun few days ahead for you.