WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2023

Replies

• Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 404 Member
    Tracey so very sorry. Heartfelt condolences to all.

Joy
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,138 Member
    Ended my day yesterday at just over 22,000 steps/ten miles -two hour long walks plus an hour of zumba.
    Today will just be a 45 min walk with MIL's dog- won't get a lot of steps in with Kobe. That boy stops to pee, or try to pee every 20 steps it seems.
    Taking my car into the shop for the 30K service. Having our mechanic do it- the dealer here in town where we bought the car wanted to charge $1200 for it, our guy will charge 400. The dealer in the next town said at most they would charge was $700 and that is IF it needed everything, which it didn't. Glad dh checked around a bit. He read up and saw that $400 was the price most places charged for it. I rarely drive it except right here in town and even then, not that much.
    Want to go to the 99cent store after we get done with MIL's.
    Hoping to come home after that. I really want to work in the garden some. Needs some weeding and need to tie up my tomatoes and cut back the daikon(hopefully that helps me get bigger ones)

Just sitting here, having my tea(cats all taken care of inside and out), waiting for dh to get off work so we can get the car taken in and get to his mom's. I will walk the dog long enough for him to take care of his mom and we can leave as soon as I get back to the house. I rarely even say anything to her.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,202 Member
    edited August 2023
    LanetteWise words! Still working on the only one I can truly fix is me. I am starting to see the small changes I am making with Organized Enough making an impact on my day to day life in a positive way. I still can't think of the name of the book where I referred to when trying to make a decision to stay the course, change, or leave. I like what you did when you decided to stay. When you committed to stay what changed was your attitude and that made a big difference. Lucky DH.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,575 Member
    Debbie - chicken question here.

How do your mom's chickens handle the heat? Are they able to stay in the shade all day? The weatherman is now calling, again, for temps in the mid 90's a few days next week. I know they love being under the evergreens and if that's where they'd stay, I'd let them out of the run all day but they like to go on adventures. They did just that this morning and a little hawk flew close to see what was going on. They were twice his size, but still. They need a babysitter and I'm not going to sit out in the sun with them.

I'm going to put better shade over the sunny west side of their run and dump some water in there to make some cool mud for them to stand in. And freeze some of their wet feed into popsicles. Refresh their water with cold tap water a few times a day.

Not spoiled much, lol.

I found a very thin shelled egg next to the roost this morning.... #3 might be getting in gear. :p

Back to spouses - I also had my secret $$ stash. Never had to use it to start a new life, but it gave me some comfort just knowing it was there. ;)

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 4,189 Member
    :)
    Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 3/20
    Strength all muscles 2 x 1/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) 1/8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min 2/20

Debbie Try telling everyone dinner is ready 30 minutes before it is! Might help with timing. LOL. I do that with DH with everything else. He does it with me with his cooking. Works if you want to eat hot food. :)

2023- Altruistic August

Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate my coffee.

Meditation: daily. 9/31 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%)

Walking and exercising slowed down because of record heat this month.

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 7/8–(100%,100%,0%,0%,0%,0%,0%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5418,4157,(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 1/2 —(100%,100%,100%,100%,100%, 100%.100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 167/208—(100%,100%,100%,50%, 83%, 100%, 100%)should be 154 by September 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)68/94 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6 (100%,100%,100%,0%,100%,100%,0%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 5/15 (100%,88%,100%,100%,100%,93%,100%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 29/12 (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 8/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,(100%,100%,100%,100%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Set an intention to be kind to others (and yourself) this month. I plan to be kind to people I meet and to myself. Not just this month but all the time. It may not be every time, but I will try.
    2. Send an uplifting message to someone you can’t be with. I will text my best friend who lives in Michigan, and my friend that lives in NY. Did this
    3. Be kind and supportive to everyone you interact with. I did this!
    4. Ask someone how they feel and really listen to their reply. I plan to try to remember to do this. Done!
    5. Spend time wishing for other people to be happy and well. Will meditate and do this through a loving-kindness meditation.
    6. Smile and be friendly to the people you see today. Will do!
    7. Give time to help a project or cause you care about. I volunteer at Bottomless Lakes State park and also belong to the ‘Friends of’ group and am on the board as secretary. Does this count?
    8. Make some tasty food for someone who will appreciate it. My DH does all the cooking. Perhaps i will look for something KETO to cook. Otherwise, we give food to our co-host often.
    9. Thank someone you’re grateful to and tell them why. I will!
    10. Check in with someone who may be lonely or feeling anxious. Checked in with my son.
    11. Share an encouraging news story to inspire others.
    12. Contact a friend to let them know you’re thinking of them.
    13. No plans day! Be kind to yourself so you can be kind to others too.
    14. Take an actions to be kind to nature and care for our planet.
    15. If someone annoys you, be kind. Imagine how they may be feeling.
    16. Make a thoughtful gift as a surprise for someone.
    17. Be kind online. Share positive and supportive comments.
    18. Today, do something to make life easier for someone else.
    19. Be thankful for your food and the people who make it possible.
    20. Look for the good in everyone you meet today.
    21. Donate unused items, clothes, or food to help a local charity.
    22. Give people the gift of your full attention.
    23. Share an article, book, or podcast you find helpful.
    24. Forgive someone who hurt you in the past.
    25. Give your time, energy, or attention to someone in need.
    26. Find a way to ‘pay it forward’ or support a good cause.
    27. Notice when someone is down and try to brighten his day. (My DH’s birthday. He always gets depressed on this day. Worse this year as he turns 70 today).
    28. Have a friendly chat with someone you don’t know very well.
    29. Do something kind to help in your local community.
    30. Give away something to those who don’t have as much as you.
    31. Share Action for Happiness with other people today.

RVRita in Roswell, NM

The best predictor of the future or future behavior is the past. If until this point the relationships, hobby, friendship, job, etc. has not served you in any positive regard, it likely won't in the future.
    — YALDA SAFAI, MD, MPH
    A Word From Verywell
    Sunk cost fallacy can be tricky to wrap your head around, and it’s not without nuance. For more clarity in these complex decision-making moments, completely disregard how much you’ve already invested so that it doesn’t hold influence. Then, look at the facts.

Are you satisfied? Have you repeatedly been met with dead ends? Is there still potential for a positive outcome if you continue investing your resources and energy? What are the benefits of walking away and opening a new door? These are the factors that should influence your decision rather than any previously sunk costs.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,474 Member
    Had a HORRENDOUS storm the other night. Tornado warning and all. Tornadoes are not common at all around here. Trying to get caught up. We were without Internet for over 24 hours. Fortunately, we did have electricity, some people didn’t have that.

Wednesday did a body pump DVD. Jess’ friend and her family will be here tomorrow. They are leaving Sat. to go to the condo. They’re staying there while they take their kids to Disney. Then they’re going on a cruise.

Heard they hired this one gal for the ceramics. Honestly, I think this was the worst choice they could have made. I’m sure she sold herself in that she has a kiln, she pours, so they felt they didn’t have to train her as much. But...she’s constantly going away for weeks on end, every time you talk to her she has some sort of medical problem, she talks and talks and talks. Honestly, there are times when I don’t want to start a conversation with her because I’d never get anything done. I guess we shall see what the future brings. At least it’ll be open.

A tree was hit by lightening right by our development and the road was closed right after our development. Even tho there was a “dead end” sign, this one lady asked me “does this road go to Startown” I could only think “what part of ‘dead end’ don’t you understand” but I just said “no”. Then she asked me where it does go. I just said “around” because it’s a circle. Some people! We live on Redmon COURT but you wouldn’t believe the people who drove up our road. Didn’t the word “court” give you a clue that this doesn’t intersect with another road????

Tracey – glad the smell wasn’t anything serious

Barbara – yea for being below 130. Wish I could get there

Lanette – congrats to Galdys. One more……. Pretty soon they all will be laying

kylia – our Roomba upstairs is named “Buzz” (as in Buzz Lightyear) and the one downstairs is “Hubble”. The robotic cleaner for the pool is “Rover”. Good luck with your Sharkie

Welcome all newbies

Heather – love all your pictures

We’re having music bingo at our house Tuesday with the theme being songs from the 60’s and 70’s. They’re asking for desserts only (this probably means that I’ll have a lot of leftovers – garbage here they come!). What I’m thinking of doing is making brownies and putting some oregano on top. What do you all think? Remember those “special” brownies in the 60’s????

Add Vince to the group of men who blame everyone and everything else for their mistakes. He’s always right. Most times I just thank God for my diminished hearing....lol

Debbie – I hear ya about the cooking. How I wish I could make certain foods but I know that I’ll be the only one who’ll eat them. I do try to adjust recipes (spices for me, none for Vince) but you can’t do that with everything. And Vince is the same way...the minute I clear out a spot, he fills it up. But he doesn’t want to throw anything away, which makes it interesting since I’m getting to be more and more of a minimalist

Lanette – I really enjoy my job because it’s only 3 or 4 hours/day. I’m not looking for any more. No stress, BTDT. They are very flexible which I really appreciate. I try to do my best. OK, I may not be getting paid big bucks, but I’d rather live without a lot of stress and not get paid a whole lot. It feels so good for the first time ever to know that if I wasn’t working, food would still get bought, mortgage would still be paid.

I love my air fryer lid for my IP. I’m thinking that might make a good gift for christmas for Jess. The only thing is that you can’t make a whole lot at once. I don’t know if you will be able to make enough for her and Colby. Gotta think on this

Heather – that soda bread looks delish

Margaret – FIL went to University of Missouri at Rolla

Vicki – good for you on speaking up to your boss

Annie – (((HUGS for you and Teddy)))

Debbie – I wouldn’t mind at all coming over to eat

Carol – sure hope the ortho doc can help you

Christine – I get that “if everyday were like today” and I just laugh. No way on this green earth would I weigh what they say I would. If I did, I’d look and feel like c***. Our pool is a salt water pool. Can you swim in one of those? Yes, we do have chlorine, but no where near what they have at the Y. So happy to read that you’re liking the exercise

Tracey – I’m so so so very sorry. I know only too well the heartache

Allie – those shirts are so adorable for Miles. Love all the pics of him

Phew! Caught up

Michele NC
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,773 Member
    ☘️