Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Debbie, Heather, Carol, Kylia, Annie and likely others, have I told you lately how much I admire you for cooking for your family every single day? Never have, never could. Good thing Joe and I are on different schedules and he can cook!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD us.v-

I'm not the family cook either ... not with my ex husband, not with my current husband.

I'll assemble breakfast (the rare times I eat it) and lunch, but my husband cooks dinner. His dinners are fairly basic now, but that's OK with me.

Occasionally, I will get the urge to make something for dinner but it happens so rarely, he gets worried when I do that!!

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    I made the Swiss steak, mushroom gravy, red potatoes and cucumber salad yesterday. I was the only one that ate any of it. Offered it to dh tonight. He said he wan't hungry. Less than 5 min later, I went in his room and he is eating cherry Poptarts!! Seriously- just shake my head at that man.

If the food is something you like, I can see making it, but otherwise I wonder why you would bother.

What would happen if you just made food for yourself?
  • Machka9
    Options
    Lanette - we do get to see the instructor. We have to have our cameras on but our mics muted, so it isn’t a lot of interaction. I find it odd not being able to interact with other students and hope that when I get into the main part we can meet up.

Tracey in Edmonton

Can you use the Chat?

• Machka9
    Options
    Very long day at conference and then after ... left hotel at 8:30 am and got back at 10 pm. Zoomed my husband as soon as I got in and we talked for half an hour. Of course, we've been texting all day too.

M in Oz
  • myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Machka— Years ago I had severe pain episodes & dragged myself to the doctor for help. He sent me to the hospital for surgery to remove my gallbladder. I had only one gallstone & it was a doozy. Surgery went well and I have not had any problems since then. I wish you well and freedom from pain. 🤞🏻

Katla
  • Machka9
    Options
    myvt9v4crh wrote: »
    Machka— Years ago I had severe pain episodes & dragged myself to the doctor for help. He sent me to the hospital for surgery to remove my gallbladder. I had only one gallstone & it was a doozy. Surgery went well and I have not had any problems since then. I wish you well and freedom from pain. 🤞🏻

Katla

I'm all right Katla. :smile:
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,111 Member
    Options
    Tracey I think my dad gave my mom POA. So that doesn't help much, because she is the one diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

I was going to register the car today but I am not feeling well. I need to get that done soon, in case it needs repairs. Or maybe I will just play Solitaire all day.

Annie in Delaware
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    My husband makes the breakfast - homemade muesli and chopped fruit and berries.
    He does the fruit and vegetable shopping. Keeps an eye on what fruit we need.
    He cooks various fruits for us to have as dessert with yoghurt. Apricots, pears, apple and berries.
    He takes care of the trash and recycling.
    He washes up and keeps the kitchen clean every day. Loads and unloads the dishwasher.
    That means I am free to make messes in the kitchen and don't have to clear up! :p

Tonight is salmon and curried sprouted beans. I just leave everything for him to deal with.

Today he cut the grass. First cut since April, as we have been growing a wild flower meadow. :) He also cut some of the weeds from the drive. We have the weediest drive in Hove.
    I put a load of laundry on, shopped for my own food, and had a nap. Then I called my friend L.
    I must remember to hang up the washing!

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Ack! Taking a break so I can stop dripping with sweat. The bedroom in use for storage is not air conditioned, so I thought I'd try to get as much sorted out as I could this morning--afternoons are uncomfortable back there... but apparently, so are mornings! So I'm sitting in the a/c in the living room, rattling to y'all for a bit while I cool down.

Had to clear out enough things to have access to the closet in the storage room, because I wanted to create a securable space for the firearms that my DD/DSIL asked us to store for them while they're stationed in Hawaii. I'll get a hasp and lock at some point, but for me, there was just something unnerving about having three ammo cans and a half-dozen rifles in my side of my bedroom closet...

But, I think I'm done all the heavy lifting now, and hopefully can spend much of the day simply getting things sorted in the workroom. I want to sort the contents of four massive bins of art supplies, paintings, fabric and such into smaller, easy to access, well-labeled file boxes, and that's the biggest job of all. But, it can be done sitting down, which is a good thing. Feeling pretty achy between the incoming rain and lifting and shifting stuff. It always passes, though...

And, in between, three loads of laundry to be folded and put away.

Hope we can all find what peace there may be in this Wednesday. The first of the far-off thunder boomers has finally arrived here, and the rain is beginning.

I do so love rain...
    Later, y'all,
    Lisa in AR
    Your rattling (which you SO don't do) reminded me of a Judd's song.
    Sittin on the porch swing
    listen to the light rain
    beatin on the tin roof
    Baby just me and you
    Rockin with the rhythm of the rain
    Slide on over
    baby hold me closer
    movin to and fro
    Just swayin like a slow freight train
    Rockin with the rhythm of the ...
    Love that song. Ahhh guns in your side of the closet, a wee bit unnerving to say the least!😂. I want to go thru my Christmas stuff and give our middle son stuff for Athena. We have a collection of M&M guys that are on trains that you fit together. Just plastic, but a nice thing that was Christmas that the boys could play with during the hectic season. Athena should have them.
    Be safe during the storms!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,956 Member
    Options
    Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 2/20
    Strength all muscles 2 x 1/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) 1/8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min 2/20

2023- Altruistic August

Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate mental health.

Meditation: daily. 8/31 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%)

Walking and exercising slowed down because of record heat this month.

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 5/8–(100%,100%,0%,0%,0%,0%,0%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5418,4157,(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 1/2 —(100%,100%,100%,100%,100%, 100%.100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 167/208—(100%,100%,100%,50%, 83%, 100%, 100%)should be 154 by September 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)68/94 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6 (100%,100%,100%,0%,100%,100%,0%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 4/15 (100%,88%,100%,100%,100%,93%,100%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 29/12 (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 8/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,(100%,100%,100%,100%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Set an intention to be kind to others (and yourself) this month. I plan to be kind to people I meet and to myself. Not just this month but all the time. It may not be every time, but I will try.
    2. Send an uplifting message to someone you can’t be with. I will text my best friend who lives in Michigan, and my friend that lives in NY. Did this
    3. Be kind and supportive to everyone you interact with. I did this!
    4. Ask someone how they feel and really listen to their reply. I plan to try to remember to do this. Done!
    5. Spend time wishing for other people to be happy and well. Will meditate and do this through a loving-kindness meditation.
    6. Smile and be friendly to the people you see today. Will do!
    7. Give time to help a project or cause you care about. I volunteer at Bottomless Lakes State park and also belong to the ‘Friends of’ group and am on the board as secretary. Does this count?
    8. Make some tasty food for someone who will appreciate it. My DH does all the cooking. Perhaps i will look for something KETO to cook. Otherwise, we give food to our co-host often.
    9. Thank someone you’re grateful to and tell them why. I will!
    10. Chick in with someone who may be lonely or feeling anxious.
    11. Share an encouraging news story to inspire others.
    12. Contact a friend to let them know you’re thinking of them.
    13. No plans day! Be kind to yourself so you can be kind to others too.
    14. Take an actions to be kind to nature and care for our planet.
    15. If someone annoys you, be kind. Imagine how they may be feeling.
    16. Make a thoughtful gift as a surprise for someone.
    17. Be kind online. Share positive and supportive comments.
    18. Today, do something to make life easier for someone else.
    19. Be thankful for your food and the people who make it possible.
    20. Look for the good in everyone you meet today.
    21. Donate unused items, clothes, or food to help a local charity.
    22. Give people the gift of your full attention.
    23. Share an article, book, or podcast you find helpful.
    24. Forgive someone who hurt you in the past.
    25. Give your time, energy, or attention to someone in need.
    26. Find a way to ‘pay it forward’ or support a good cause.
    27. Notice when someone is down and try to brighten his day. (My DH’s birthday. He always gets depressed on this day. Worse this year as he turns 70 today).
    28. Have a friendly chat with someone you don’t know very well.
    29. Do something kind to help in your local community.
    30. Give away something to those who don’t have as much as you.
    31. Share Action for Happiness with other people today.

RVRita in Roswell, NM

The best predictor of the future or future behavior is the past. If until this point the relationships, hobby, friendship, job, etc. has not served you in any positive regard, it likely won't in the future.
    — YALDA SAFAI, MD, MPH
    A Word From Verywell
    Sunk cost fallacy can be tricky to wrap your head around, and it’s not without nuance. For more clarity in these complex decision-making moments, completely disregard how much you’ve already invested so that it doesn’t hold influence. Then, look at the facts.

Are you satisfied? Have you repeatedly been met with dead ends? Is there still potential for a positive outcome if you continue investing your resources and energy? What are the benefits of walking away and opening a new door? These are the factors that should influence your decision rather than any previously sunk costs.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,956 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies. Joined this platform hoping to get community support on finding good practices to lose weight. I’m 71 and would like to lose weight (25 lbs) for health reasons. Looking forward to hearing what has worked for us post-menopausal women. Thanks Nini

Welcome Nini! For me, eliminating sugar and wheat-items helped me lose 60 pounds at 62 YO. I cheated a lot due to stress eating and put back on 30. I am currently try to lose that extra 30 again.

Check in often. We move quickly, up to 4 pages a day, and comment whenever you like!

RVRita in Roswell, NM
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    :)
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,166 Member
    Options
    ❤️❤️
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,026 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    I made the Swiss steak, mushroom gravy, red potatoes and cucumber salad yesterday. I was the only one that ate any of it. Offered it to dh tonight. He said he wan't hungry. Less than 5 min later, I went in his room and he is eating cherry Poptarts!! Seriously- just shake my head at that man.

If the food is something you like, I can see making it, but otherwise I wonder why you would bother.

What would happen if you just made food for yourself?

I really wonder why I bother some times too!!!
    I used to cook and wait for him before I would eat but after a while of telling him it was ready and 15-20 min. later, he still was in his room or out side or what ever, I stopped doing that. I cook and let them know it is ready. If they don't come to get it and I want to eat, I just get my plate and go sit in the living room. They can have it cold if they dont want to come when it is hot.
    Once in a while I just make something for me but always after seeing if he wants something. He on the other hand will make something for himself and not see if I want any.
    I have started making more things that I like and less of what he usually likes because even then, not sure how much/when he will eat it

I have always been the cook- with first hubby, he didn't cook and he appreciated anything I made. Always told me I was a good cook, even when I was just learning and used a cook book for everything when we first got married. All these years later, sounds like he is an excellent cook-I missed out.
    Dh will air fry a steak or a corn dog for himself but that is the extent to him cooking. He prefers most takeout

Lisa- I am still trying to find the answers. I thought I had figured things out but then things changed that were out of my hands.
    I want things to change but right now(again) is not the time to push for big changes. I can't be the one that pushes him over his limit and he does something drastic which he has been close to almost the last 15 months, since dealing with his mom full time.
    Things have to change but I feel I have waited 27 yrs for it to change, what is another 6 months or what ever it will be(have been saying this for years now, something dramatic keeps coming up so I put up with things longer)

Got up and walked- a bit shorter today- just 3 miles. Waiting for Ezie to come in. Told her we would walk to the park. Her mom is off this week so she is running late. Should have been here an hour ago.
    Have class tonight so should hit 20,000 steps by the end of the day.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca