WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2023

Options

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,006 Member
    Options
    Poerava14 wrote: »
    Greetings Friends. I've been behind for days and just finally caught up.

Debbie: Add me to the others who want to come eat your delicious home cooked meals. You are making me want an air fryer, but then I remember that I seldom cook anymore.

Rosemarie: It's been 2 years since I lost my DH. I was his main caregiver for almost 4 years of his dementia journey. I am still riding the rollercoaster of emotions and guilt. It does get easier as you find your groove. Need a beach partner? I'm always ready!

[

My sweet gentleman has his one and only daughter visiting this week, so we haven't communicated for a few days. However, the good news is that I am going to visit him in New Hampshire when I'm on the east coast at end of this month. We had originally planned to meet at my friends' lakeside home in the Poconos, but I decided I really wanted him to myself before we socialize with others. (My friends are great, but their house is a zoo!) So, I'm flying to his home for a day or two, then we'll drive to the lake together right after Labor Day. He said he is feeling giddy. Me too!

Tomorrow is church followed by a trip to big farmers market with my favorite niece. I'll load up on organic veges and fruits. The storage recommendations in the book "Eating on the Wild Side" (thanks Margaret) are excellent and I can vouch they work. Spoilage has been cut way down, which certainly helps during these days of increasing grocery costs.

Stay well, friends. Keep smiling and shining. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

If you are thinking about getting an air fryer but not sure- get one of the smaller/basket types. She how you like it. That is what we did. Wore two of them out before upgrading to the one with two trays. On our second one of that type. Ours is used pretty much daily. From heating up left over pizza(it is great) and fried chicken(LOVE it for that-renders out the extra fat and makes the skin super crispy) to cooking steak or chicken. Dh doesn't cook. Can't remember the last time he used the stove. He reheats only. He uses the air fryer. Loves his corn dogs, pizza, egg rolls, etc in there.
    Around Black Friday, you can get the smaller ones for just $25 or at least they were last year. Just checked and BestBuy has a few different ones for $30.

So glad you have plans to meet up with your gentleman friend- Hope you have an amazing time.

Debbie
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,766 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    Oh I complimented Tom alot and probably over compensated, tried everything I could to make him happy..
    But the last few yrs..when he was doing what he was doing,it made it worse because of the guilt..
    But thats all done now.
    Onto something different..got the laundry done..and garbage together for Dan to take out for me..
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,793 Member
    Options
    Can I post a video from my Facebook on here that you could see? Or do I have to make it public first?
  • dlfk202000
    edited August 2023
    Options

Lanette B)

Thank you for this- I really need to remind myself daily of this and so much other wisdom that has been shared.
    THANK YOU ALL!!!
    Dh hasn't changed his habits that irritate me in the last 27yrs, they have gotten worse(married 31 yrs next month) even though I have asked for simple changes.
    I am not at the point of calling it quits right now(I was for a while but things changed and decided to settle with what I have)
    I need to be the one that changes things for myself. I need to learn to speak up, out loud, and not just in my head, if anything will get better.

• dlfk202000
    Options
    <3
    Yes, I try to remember to compliment DH often. And I always thank him for every small thing he does for me. So important. I try to give him the same respect that I would with a valued guest. This morning, that involved coming down from the top of the house to give him a hug and say goodbye and wish him well.
    With my first husband, I was neglectful of all that. I allowed criticism to be a way of life. When I went on a course which told us to spend a week without criticising our partner, (he didn't know about the instructions), he told me that he felt so much better at the end of that week. :o Contempt is the biggest killer of a marriage.
    Making small 'bids' towards your partner, noticing when they make a 'bid' and responding to it. Appreciating their love language. Yesterday DH said that we should go out for a meal one day this week. That was his bid to say, we need some 'close' time to do something together. <3
    Sometimes it really does work to 'fake it till you make it'. If I make the effort to be loving, it usually turns out that I am. :p
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Heather - <3 Insightful * Inspiring * Like * Hug <3

Accountability:

Tomorrow is "accountability" day. If anyone wants to be added to my post, please message me today.

I have changed my criteria. I have often said, I don't care if the scale shows I weigh 800 lbs, if I can fit comfortably in my favorite pants, that lying scale be d@mned. :p I mean it.

I'll keep tracking how close or far I am from my goal range just for data, but not obsess over that pound or two up or down.

I'm starting to feel the same way about the tape measure. How can my waist be an inch or two larger than last week and my pants fit comfortably around the waist? Same with the hips - loss of an inch, ten years ago would have been great. Now, still tight - I guess I'm not taking into account the extra baggage in my saggy rear, lol. Gravity.

Have a great Sunday, peeps. Hug the one you love. <3 Love the one you're with and all that.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Think I messaged you- let me know if you got it, if I did it right

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,396 Member
    Options
    Debbie - I didn't get anything from you, so I just messaged you. Hopefully you got it and can hit reply. Somewhere in outer space is a whole lot of messages that never made it to their destination. :D Lanette
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Debbie - I didn't get anything from you, so I just messaged you. Hopefully you got it and can hit reply. Somewhere in outer space is a whole lot of messages that never made it to their destination. :D Lanette

I don't see any messages from you(or anyone for that matter)- It should be where the bell is, right?
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    It's very cute Tracey!!!

Okie
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Lanette and Debbie - When Machka and I were trading some information, I had to ask and she had to accept a friend request. You should be able to do that by clicking on the image of the person in their post, then going to their profile. Could be wrong--I could see Lanette's friend request button, but then lost that screen when I returned.

Tracey - It's lovely! She's going to love that...

Rori - Giddy is good!
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Lanette and Debbie - When Machka and I were trading some information, I had to ask and she had to accept a friend request. You should be able to do that by clicking on the image of the person in their post, then going to their profile. Could be wrong--I could see Lanette's friend request button, but then lost that screen when I returned.

Tracey - It's lovely! She's going to love that...

Rori - Giddy is good!

thanks- sent a friend request to Lanette.(found that the other message I sent to the wrong person-some other random Lanette will get it)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,648 Member
    Options
  • Rosemarie2972
    Rosemarie2972 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Heather: Your relationship with your DH sounds so healthy! The. next relationship I am in, I am going to compliment much more and be much more thankful!

Lanette: Yes, I am slowly decluttering. Tonight I will take 20 minutes and do the freezer. I don't have plans to change the inside of the house much. It took years to put the house together and that is one reason why I am not ready leave it. It would be so strange to move into a condo and go out and purchase a living room set, after putting this living room together piece by piece. I have only had end tables for maybe 12 years. They came from a business that takes in old hotel furniture. I have gotten several pieces at this business. The end tables came from a nice hotel in Washington D.C.

RV Rita: I hope you are feeling better. Such nice campers to offer you breakfast. Especially with you not feeling well.

Tracey: 2 hours to set up a computer and become the administrator sounds good to me! I am sure it would take me much longer!

Machka: Thankfully your DH does pretty well, but I know it has been a big adjustment for both of you.

Rori: Thank you for your thoughtful words. I hope you enjoy your trip to New Hampshire. My husband loved New Hampshire!

Debbie: I have always rather liked shampooing my pets.

Michele: I hope your trip works out. Hotel prices are up and for the longest while we had pretty good restaurant prices, being in what use to be a low cost area. But the restaurant prices have really gone up here.

Barbara: I took a walk this morning and came home and slept 4 hours...after having a good sleep last night. I feel great this evening!

I am so appreciative of you all sharing about your marriages. This has made me feel much better about my own marriage and the caregiving. Thank you!

The house hasn't been painted since I don't know when. So I got 3 estimates and hired a painter. My house is a light pink. I toyed with the idea of painting it a more marketable color in case I wanted to sell it. But in the end I chose a pink with more white in it. Perhaps not that practical, but I will enjoy it!

The painter is going to use some type of paint gun to paint the house. I didn't know this until after I
    hired him. Does anyone know about these paint guns?

Best,
    Rosemarie from Georgia
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,766 Member
    Options
    Well got to see Dan today,he took the garbage out,
    Tracy will call in the morning if she needs me to Milesyvdk4xcdcaar.jpg

This was him a bit earlier..
    Going to sleep as I didn't nap today either.. which is good I guess..
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    <3

hope everything is going ok- miss your posts Karen.