Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    kevrit wrote: »
    Stop B12
    RVRita in Roswell, NM

Why stop B12?

My numbers were way too high. I’m still taking a B-complex. B-12 is supposed to range between 211-911 pg/ml but mine was at 1255. I stopped for a week and will see where my numbers are in 3 months. I may need to go to every-other day.

RVRita

Rita - I also tested over 1200 a month ago- well over the threshold. Messaged Dr. Lisa if that was a potential problem, she never did respond. I took that to mean the rest of the lab tests were normal so nothing was out of whack, I was ingesting plenty.

I just went back and reviewed old labs. 5 years ago it was in the 1700's! Then a year later, 1400's. Ten years ago it was in the 300's. Go figure. I think when it was super high, I was taking a supplement.

DH's was in the 200's-300's, and the lab notes say under 400 people have an increased risk for dementia. Hmm... this might have been another factor for his memory loss.

Next time I see Dr. Lisa or Dr. Matt I'll ask more about it.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

My vitamin/mineral levels have always been within a normal range, and that's even with taking supplements, with one exception. I don't take iron and my iron levels are usually borderline high.

I need B12 because my genetic mutation means I don't absorb it well.

M in Oz

Nexium can also cause a Vit B12 deficiency.

So when I was on Nexium, I didn't realise all the problems it causes, but if you read about B12 deficiency symptoms, that was me. I felt horrible. I also wasn't taking a B12 supplement then.

When I started doing some research, I discovered that both MTHFR and Nexium can result in a Vit B12 deficiency.

So I weaned off Nexium ( you can't just stop it suddenly) and started taking B12.

Much better!

M in Oz

Vit B12 Deficiency
    Vitamin B12 deficiency can be slow to develop, causing symptoms to appear gradually and intensify over time. It can also come on relatively quickly. Given the array of symptoms a vitamin B12 deficiency can cause, the condition can be overlooked or confused with something else. Vitamin B12deficiency symptoms may include:
    strange sensations, numbness, or tingling in the hands, legs, or feet
    difficulty walking (staggering, balance problems)
    anemia
    a swollen, inflamed tongue
    difficulty thinking and reasoning (cognitive difficulties), or memory loss
    weakness
    fatigue
    https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/vitamin-b12-deficiency-can-be-sneaky-harmful-201301105780

What are the symptoms of vitamin B deficiency?
    People with vitamin B deficiency may experience:
    fatigue, weakness or a general lack of energy
    numbness or tingling in their hands and feet
    weakened muscles and slow reflexes
    ‘shakiness’ when walking or difficulty keeping balance
    More severe symptoms include confusion, a loss of memory, depression and dementia.
    https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/vitamin-b-deficiency#symptoms

What are the symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency?
    Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause physical, neurological and psychological symptoms. The symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency can develop slowly and can get worse over time. Some people may have no symptoms despite having a low level of vitamin B12 in their bodies. People with vitamin B12 deficiency can have neurological symptoms and/or damage without anemia (lack of red blood cells).

General physical symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency can include:
    Feeling very tired or weak.
    Experiencing nausea, vomiting or diarrhea.
    Not feeling as hungry as usual.
    Weight loss.
    Having a sore mouth or tongue.
    Having yellowish skin.

Neurological symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency can include:
    Numbness or tingling in your hands and feet.
    Vision problems.
    Having a hard time remembering things or getting confused easily.
    Having a difficult time walking or speaking like you usually do.
    If neurological problems develop from vitamin B12 deficiency, they may not be reversible.

Psychological symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency can include:
    Feeling depressed.
    Feeling irritable.
    Experiencing a change in the way you feel and behave.
    https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/22831-vitamin-b12-deficiency

It's also unlikely to overdose on B12.
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/too-much-vitamin-b12
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,207 Member
    Options
    It's also unlikely to overdose on B12.
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/too-much-vitamin-b12

"Health Risks from Excessive Vitamin B12
    The FNB did not establish a UL for vitamin B12 because of its low potential for toxicity [1]. Even at large doses, vitamin B12 is generally considered to be safe because the body does not store excess amounts."
    https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminB12-HealthProfessional/

But that said, I take a 1000 mcg supplement most days, and feel that I have no need for more even though I have a tendency toward Vit B12 deficiency.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Blue Zone ...

Had a quick look at the diet and had to smile.

"See that 95% of your food comes from a plant or a plant product.

Limit animal protein in your diet to no more than one small serving per day. Favor beans, greens, yams and sweet potatoes, fruits, nuts, and seeds. Whole grains are okay too. While people in four of the five blue zones consume meat, they do so sparingly, using it as a celebratory food, a small side, or a way to flavor dishes
    ."
    https://www.bluezones.com/2020/07/blue-zones-diet-food-secrets-of-the-worlds-longest-lived-people/

Way to go Blue Zone!! :lol:

In other words, Blue Zone people "lean toward being vegetarian" like I do and like I have for decades.

But I'm probably not quite 95% vegetarian ... some days I am, other days it might be more like 80%.

M in Oz
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,631 Member
    Options
    I didn't know there was a vitamin blood work. I will have to ask.

Heather UK I like the way you shop, cook, and eat. Fresh daily sounds wonderful!
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,546 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    I don't know about y'all (OK, I do know, that's a cliché, sorry... :smiley:) but I do get overwhelmed with all the negative information out there about aging. There's an entire kabillion dollar industry around anti-aging, for goodness sake! This link is from the U.S. National Institute on Aging, part of the National Institutes of Health: 10 Myths About Aging. It provides a few home truths about the fears we all deal with at one level or another...

Love,
    Lisa in AR
  • Machka9
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Most people don't need to take vitamins at the level I'm taking, mine are due to issues with anemia (iron and b12), hypothyroid (zinc) and heart issues (folate and potassium), as well as the general malnutrition I've dealt with caused by the Crohn's disease. In other words, these are all very targeted supplements meant to help resolve specific problems.

Back to what we've said before, that every person is different. But anyone who is thinking about adding a supplement really ought to get a full blood panel that includes vitamin levels completed, and talk to their doctor about the results. Unfortunately, most people don't; they seem to assume that vitamins are completely benign and that they need all kinds of extra vitamins. In reality, most people get all they need from a balanced diet.

OK, back down off my soapbox... :smiley: Thus endeth the vitamin commentary for today.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

Yes, agreed that each person is different and that it's a very good idea to get that full blood panel including vitamin and mineral levels. High or low vitamin or mineral levels can mess a person up!

For a while I took iron pills because I got the impression that all women of a certain age were anaemic or close to it. I did not feel well. So I stopped. But my periods were long and heavy, and sometimes twice a month, so doctors encouraged me to take iron. I did ... but I didn't feel well when I did. And repeat over years. Finally, I insisted on a blood test that included iron and we discovered my iron level is borderline high even with massive periods, no iron supplements, and hardly any red meat.

I also need certain things (B12, magnesium, and 5mg of folic acid each day) for my medical issues.

Oh and D because most Tasmanians are low in Vit D, especially office workers like me.

kymarai wrote: »
    I didn't know there was a vitamin blood work. I will have to ask.

I get it done now and then. :)

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    wnhggqwiyjqh.png

Walking today at lunch. :)

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Here is the monthly list I use for you to copy if you’d like. Thank you Machka for posting the calendar. I always forget to post it in a format that works on here.

2023 Self-Care September 2023

1. Find time for self-care. It’s not selfish. It’s essential.
    2. Notice the things you do well, however small.

I'm spending quite a bit of time relaxing this weekend. Self-care.
    And what do I do well? I don't know ... the usual household things like the laundry I've done this weekend, working on my drystream, cycling, colouring.

3. Let go of self-criticism and speak to yourself kindly.
    4. Plan a fun or relaxing activity and make time for it.

I'm not usually overly critical of myself but I will question myself, like "What are you doing?"
    And today, I went for a long-ish walk at lunch then did some colouring at home after work.
    6. Forgive yourself when things go wrong. Everyone makes mistakes.
    7. Focus on the basics: eat well, exercise, and go to bed on time.
    8. Give yourself permission to say ‘no’..
    9. Be willing to share how you feel and and ask for help when needed.
    10. Aim to be good enough, rather than perfect.
    11. When you find things hard, remember it’s ok to not be ok.
    12. Make time to do something you really enjoy.
    13. Get active outside and give your mind and body a natural boost.
    14. Be as kind to yourself as you would to a loved one.
    15. If you’re busy, allow yourself to pause and take a break.
    16. Find a caring calming phrase to use when you feel low.
    17. Leave positive messages for yourself to see regularly.
    18. No plans day. Make time to slow down and be kind to yourself.
    19. Ask a trusted friends to tell you what strengths they see in you.
    20. Notice what you are feeling without any judgement.
    21. Enjoy photos from a time with happy memories.
    22. Don’t compare how you feel inside to how others appear outside.
    23. Take your time. Make space to just breathe and be still.
    24. Let go of other people’s expectations of you.
    25. Accept yourself and remember that your are worthy of love.
    26. Avoid saying ‘I should’ and make time to do nothing.
    27. Find a new way to use one of your strengths or talents.
    28. Free up time by canceling any unnecessary plans.
    29. Choose to see your mistakes as steps to help you learn.
    30. Write down 3 things you appreciate about yourself.
    31. Remind yourself you are enough, just as you are.

Machka in Oz

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,431 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    I don't know about y'all (OK, I do know, that's a cliché, sorry... :smiley:) but I do get overwhelmed with all the negative information out there about aging. There's an entire kabillion dollar industry around anti-aging, for goodness sake! This link is from the U.S. National Institute on Aging, part of the National Institutes of Health: 10 Myths About Aging. It provides a few home truths about the fears we all deal with at one level or another...

Love,
    Lisa in AR

Lisa - good article and I agree - I think much of the negative press about aging is to put $$ in someone's pocket.

Regarding Vit D and B12, it's wise to get blood levels tested on these and other vitamins and minerals (there are home tests people can get online, not sure how accurate they are.) Functional medicine docs and Naturopaths can order these tests. Not sure if they are covered by insurance, and they might be spendy.

And yes, we are all different. A supplement that works for me might throw someone else's system out of kilter.

I aim to keep my Vit D level above 60 ng/mL- research has shown it's protective at that level against some cancers and folks with levels above 50 had less trouble dealing with the C-19 symptoms and were rarely hospitalized.

A couple decades ago I tested low in B12, and have been taking supplementation ever since on the advice of my doctor, especially considering my mom's dementia. Mom was never tested to my knowledge and didn't take supplements, but my Grandmother took monthly B12 shots for years during the 1960's - I don't know why, for energy? But when she died of a stroke in her mid-90's she was sharp as a tack.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,970 Member
    Options
    2023 Self-Care September 2023

Down 1.2 pounds from last Monday!

Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate early morning walks.-

Meditation: daily. 2/30 0(82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)
    Rita
    Stop B12
    Switch DHEA to every other day on sept 6
    Kev
    Add folic acid, once a day
    Add magnesium to 3x a day
    Up Berberine to 3x a day

Foods to avoid:

Barley
    Bell peppers
    Chicken
    Clam
    Egg white
    Eggplant
    Ginger
    Rye
    Wheat
    Winter squash

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5418,4157,6745,7029,6938,(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 1/2 —(800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 182/208—(733%) should be 172 by October 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)72/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4 (500%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 1/22 (681%,100%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 32/12 (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 8/12—(900%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (900%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,(500%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Find time for self-care. It’s not selfish. It’s essential. Making time!
    2. Notice the things you do well, however small. I will. Talking to campers, meeting dogs, electronics.
    3. Let go of self-criticism and speak to yourself kindly. I will try!
    4. Plan a fun or relaxing activity and make time for it. Did this already! Went for a long walk this morning.
    5. Forgive yourself when things go wrong. Everyone makes mistakes.
    6. Focus on the basics: eat well, exercise, and go to bed on time.
    7. Give yourself permission to say ‘no’..
    8. Be willing to share how you feel and and ask for help when needed.
    9. Aim to be good enough, rather than perfect.
    10. When you find things hard, remember it’s ok to not be ok.
    11. Make time to do something you really enjoy.
    12. Get active outside and give your mind and body a natural boost.
    13. Be as kind to yourself as you would to a loved one.
    14. If you’re busy, allow yourself to pause and take a break.
    15. Find a caring calming phrase to use when you feel low.
    16. Leave positive messages for yourself to see regularly.
    17. No plans day. Make time to slow down and be kind to yourself.
    18. Ask a trusted friends to tell you what strengths they see in you.
    19. Notice what you are feeling without any judgement.
    20. Enjoy photos from a time with happy memories.
    21. Don’t compare how you feel inside to how others appear outside.
    22. Take your time. Make space to just breathe and be still.
    23. Let go of other people’s expectations of you.
    24. Accept yourself and remember that your are worthy of love.
    25. Avoid saying ‘I should’ and make time to do nothing.
    26. Find a new way to use one of your strengths or talents.
    27. Free up time by canceling any unnecessary plans.
    28. Choose to see your mistakes as steps to help you learn.
    29. Write down 3 things you appreciate about yourself.
    30. Remind yourself you are enough, just as you are.

RVRita in Roswell, NM