WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,507 Member
    Options
    Morning, all, from a chilly Arkansas dawn, the skeletal branches of the winter trees are just beginning to show up against the gray morning sky,

Still, better chilly than wet, and much sympathy to our Washington and Oregon folks, hope you'll get the chance to dry out soon... In sympathy, I've built a fire in the fireplace! Well, that, and it's chilly here. :smiley:

Regarding my daughter finding her bio-father:

For those who don't know, the amazing human beings that I call my daughter and my son were a package deal with their daddy, who I married 15 years ago now. Kelsey was 17 and John 15 when we married. They have called me "mom," or some variation thereof since the beginning, and they've been mine, and always known it, since the day I married their dad. I'm exceedingly lucky, and tremendously grateful. It didn't have to be this way.

Anyway, for her own reasons, Kels went looking for her bio-dad earlier this year. The guy whose name is listed on her birth certificate turned out not to be the guy, and her bio-mom genuinely didn't remember (alcoholic and drug addict), and then died while all this is going on. As soon as the DNA test came through, the guy listed on the birth certificate blocked her on Facebook and email and everything else without another word. Not nice.

So, being the dogged and determined person she is, Kels hired a firm that does DNA searches, and they found the guy who actually is her bio-father, and the history matches up. He was in the area and working at that logging camp at the right time. They traced him through his daughter, who had taken a DNA test to discover her ancestry. It turns out he had two other daughters, one of whom looked exactly like Kels when they were both kids. The girls are just ecstatic to have a new half-sister, and she talked to them, as well as to their mom.

The mom is now the ex-wife of the guy, and remembered Kels' bio-mom, being at the same logging camp at that time, and was pretty sure that her husband was being less than faithful. Luckily though, she wasn't het up about it - water under the bridge kind of thing. Evidently, the current wife reached out to Kels, and Kels got the impression that she was suspicious and not forthcoming about anything at all, but she finally talked to the bio-father this last weekend directly. He seemed pretty overwhelmed and not sure how to act or what to do.

Understandably.

Not sure what's next for Kelsey, but I think she will stay in touch with the new half-sisters, if nothing else, which will give her access to her medical history, which was what started this whole process months and months ago! She was terribly worried that Corey, my husband, who adopted her when she was two, would be upset that she went looking. He was not. He's her dad, he's always been her dad, and this changes nothing as far as he's concerned. She adores him--he's been the only true constant in her life up until we married and she got a bonus mom on top of the deal. He's one of 12 kids, so she also grew up with a plethora of aunts and uncles and cousins and surrounded by family.

OK, that turned into a book, which I did not plan to do... I've read everyone's posts, but they've gone slap out of my head, as I'm purely incapable of keeping two thoughts at once in there anymore. Truth be told, I'm pretty sure I always was incapable of it... :wink:

Annie - I always look for yours, sending many hugs your way.

Time to get some wood in for the fire and get the laundry changed over. Acupuncture appointment this morning, so I need to leave here in about two hours.

Later,
    Love y'all!
    Lisa in AR
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options

Rebecca - you mean this one?
    fbsc38rjh6bk.png

Yes thanks! I did find one online, that was similar but had 1 tsp of butter in it. I will see if it changes it any. I appreciate you giving me my recipe!😁
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

Rebecca ... I made your recipe on repeat last year and plan to do so again soon! It's delicious and addictive!

Beth near Buffalo
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,974 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    Options
    Love your table, Allie!

Lunch went well, except for the music. It didn't kill me, but it would have been better without it. I will write a review. Coffee too expensive. I had one oyster and some rather chewy steak with Bearnaise. Terrific chunky fries. Won't go again.
    It was just nice to meet up with G and chat. We talked about POA, which I must resume mentioning to John. Hard to drop it in casually, when it's such a burning issue with me. She hasn't done one, but knows she must.

Came back earlyish so G could drive home before the rush hour at the notorious bottlenecks. I managed to remember to give her the tree card I painted. Stopped at the butcher for escalopes and Scotch Eggs.

Just about to have a nap. Fish soup for dinner, so minimal prep and cooking. :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,677 Member
    Options
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    2023 December Kindness

Word of the Year: appreciate—Today I appreciate my coffee.

Meditation: daily. 18/30 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%,100,100,83%
    Feeling sick all month. Colitis crap!

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min /23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) /8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min /20

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    3 months SOBER!
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5907,(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%—6458,92%,-6847,98%-84% 5882-)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 1/2 (10,00%) 50%
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 225-208—(733%,100% My mom called me for a change, 100%)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)98/96 100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4, 172.2, 173.2, 173.4, 173.4 (600%) 100%,100%
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 0/23. (681%,100,100,83)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 48/12
    (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 11/12—(100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (100%) I put the money in, but end up taking it out.
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,0,0,0,0
    500%) This has stopped. Spending too much.

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met——99%
    October met —90.7%
    November met—75%
    December met—

1.Spread kindness and share the December calendar with others. Sharing with my MFP friends.
    2. Contact someone you can’t be with to see how they are doing. Forgot to do this yesterday. Hope to do it today. I did this on Sunday 12/3.
    3. Offer to help someone who is facing difficulties at the moment. Helped my fellow host in learning what to do in 2 separate incidents with campers.
    4. Support a campaign, cause, or charity you really care about.
    5. Give a gift to someone who is homeless or lonely. Did not do this. No chance to.
    6. Leave a positive message for someone else to find.
    7. Give kind comments to as many people as possible today.
    8. Do something helpful for a friend or family member.
    9. Notice when you’re hard on yourself or others and be kind instead.
    10. Listen wholeheartedly to others without judging them.
    11. But an extra item and donate to a food bank.
    12. Be generous. Feed someone with food, love or kindness today.
    13. See how many be people you can smile at today.
    14. Share a happy memory or inspiring thought with a loved one.
    15. Say hello to your neighbor and brighten their day.
    16. Look for something positive to say to everyone you meet today.
    17. Give thanks. List the kind things others have done for you.
    18. Ask for help and let someone else know the how of giving.
    19. Contact someone who may be alone or feeling isolated.
    20. Help someone by giving away something you don’t need.
    21. Appreciate kindness and thank people who do things for you.
    22. Congratulate someone for an achievement that may go unnoticed.
    23. Choose to give or receive the gift of forgiveness.
    24. Bring joy to others. Share something that made you laugh.
    25. Treat everyone with kindness including yourself.
    26. Get outside, pick up litter or do something kind for nature.
    27. Call a relative who is far away to say hello and have a chat.
    28. Be kind to the planet. Eat less meat and use less energy.
    29. Turn off digital devices and really listen to people.
    30. Let someone know how much you appreciated them and why.
    31. Plan some new acts of kindness for 2024.

The results of your personality test are in. Here they are:
    Personality type: Logistician (ISTJ-T)
Traits: Introverted – 69%, Observant – 58%, Thinking – 75%, Judging – 56%, Turbulent – 54%
Role: Sentinel
Strategy: Constant Improvement
    Joined MFPL 6/2010
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    August 12th 2012. Eleven years. :p Hooray!

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,528 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - what an amazing place to grow up!! We’re hoping to get a place on Woahink after I retire and we travel for a few years. Good to meet you too!

Well we vacationed there, but lived in the outskirts of Portland, in Damascus, more towards Mt Hood. That was idyllic too, picking berries, making forts, and tending to our little mini farm, or as they call it nowadays, "craft farm". Pretty much only had 3 cows at a time, raised for beef, and my eldest sister had a horse during high school. Oh and a pig, only because we had a family reunion and a relative from Minnesota brought the piglet out because the mom rejected it. My grandparents lived down the road from us and so my grandma and I tried to tame it. Our intentions was that we wanted her to follow us down the road on walks, with its curly cute tail! But then I went and named it Charlotte (which was the spider not the pig), plus she had the abandonment issues. My task was to timidly approach the stall, then throw the feed in the trough and run. That was when she got like 100+ lbs. Good times.😂
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    I too have Rebecca's recipe as a screenshot!

I'm all ready to go out. New trousers. I bought them a couple of months ago, but they were a tiny bit tight around the waist. Just recently, I have noticed my pyjama trousers feeling looser around the waist, so I thought I'd give my purchase another try. They fit, and are very comfortable! They are the only pair of winter trousers I have, as I wear leggings all the time.
    I'm wearing my nearly new dark blue leopard print sweater, my bright blue lacy camisole showing underneath, and a dotty blue/multi scarf that must be 15 years old. I feel quite snazzy! I so rarely get dressed up these days. I've even got my rings on. Might give my proper winter coat an airing. :o
    How my waist has got smaller, I don't know, but I'll take it! :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Oh and so my messy writing lives on!!! Lol! It is a great, quick recipe/part science experiment too.😁
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Allie - where did you get the sling for plantar fasciitis? I just put a bottle of water in the freezer.
    Also, what’s in your sand table, it looks heavy!

Barbara - I love your stove! So pretty.

Joy - I hope you have a successful delivery. It will be good to have it done.

Lanette - the thrift store has new toys? That’s a great deal for parents. One of our stores always puts their toys on sale at 50% off the week before Christmas. I usually get Michaela’s birthday and Christmas present there.

Heather - we are being taught that any of the children with disabilities be called exceptional. I like it.

Lisa - that was a chatty day. I don’t think you had mentioned about the bio dad being found.

Annie - Hugs

Machka - maybe I should find a restaurant for Christmas Day.

We are doing Christmas on the 23rd because Rodger works Christmas Eve and Christmas night so will be sleeping most of Christmas.
    I am going to a Christmas play Michaela is in at church on Christmas Eve Day.
    She informed Kaitlyn and I that she is playing Jesus’ mother, in the most matter of fact, sassy like “who else would I play but the lead?” I think she even had an incredulous look on her face as if to say why would you even have to ask. If she wasn’t so kind, she would come off so snotty and bratty. Thankfully she doesn’t expect these things she is just incredibly confident and that’s not such a bad thing.

Betsy - how sweet to have the flowers given to you.

Rebecca - you may be surprised that one or more of the boys aren’t interested in the photos in another few years. My brother gained an interest in his 40’s my DH really gained an appreciation for them this year at 58. I do want to organize them and also I want to get some printed of the last few years. I think Michaela would love to sit and look through an album with me.
    She loves looking at the Skylight frame I have.

Heather - I want some nice drinking glasses. Currently we have Sons of Anarchy 🙄 DH received 3 sets of 3for Christmas one year. They are sturdy and won’t seem to break.
    Glad you were able to get rest before your thigh completely gave out.

Debbie - nice pictures of your son and his girlfriend.

I was given an assignment today. We can choose the topic and have to give it in either lecture or discussion format.
    I can’t decide what to do it on.
    I’m thinking either family, grief or Christmas around the world.

Worked on my stockings today, made a wreath for my door and signed up for two more shows.

Tracey in Edmonton

We have a family genealogy book, going back to the late 1700's for my husbands family, when husband was researching it all, (before kids came along). He has since added to it, whenever a tidbit of new information comes along, (like Athena🤗 and Eli). It was amazing, and weird to read up on census reports for some of them. One of his relatives had 7 kids one census, then the next census he had a whole other wife, 20 years younger than the other one. Yes it was the same guy, he just remarried. Lawdy!
    I think my middle son or youngest son would take all the family history, because they're nterested in all that. My eldest son not so much. My eldest would take all our family's albums because he's a saver. I would hope, after we passed on, that they would get together and take what they wanted.
    Athena loves to look thru my tablet at photos, but really only the ones where she's in them.😂😂
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Debbie, great photos of son and girlfriend decorating your tree. That's nice that they did that for you. My sons only decorated the tree when they were young, but once they hit middle, and high school, it just wasn't cool I guess. It became "moms thing". They did like exploring the tree though, looking for specific ornaments etc. So that was cute.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    edu65nhk5lej.jpg
    clcfl8j502bs.jpg
    Beth this drysink was at my paternal grandmother's and when my dad passed and we sold the house I took it and always wanted to put shells and sand in it like a beach,which was one of my grandmother's favorite places it has a metal liner so it is safe for sand.
    Lanette- so sorry to hear about your nephews wife.. it is so tough around the holidays.
    Debbie- your hubby has to learn to deal with his mom,and not take it out on you..

How utterly beautiful Allie! I am tempted to send you my seashells so they can live happily among yours.😁💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Tracey - I am a bit of a purist, (read aesthetic tyrant) about things like glassware, crockery, and cutlery. I like simple, good quality, heavy. Stuff that goes with everything.
    For a while, John and I had separate houses, so we both bought six of the same plain white crockery from John Lewis, a top department store. (My son has the same) So we now have twelve dinner plates, and twelve large pasta plates. I love them, but it is a bit excessive!
    The feel of a good glass is really important to me. The weight. I always prefer minimal plain.
    We do have 4 Darrington Glass large tumblers that are different colours. The grandchildren adore them and always ask for them for 'Johnny's Magic Potion'. :p
    Our morning cereal bowls are bright colours. Pink design.
    My objects I surround myself with are very important to me.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    Pip that's a great picture of Yogi!

Annie in Delaware