Group LLC - September 2010

Resalyn
Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
edited September 21 in Motivation and Support
Hi there! Here is the new thread for September - I'll make sure to put a link at the end of our old August Thread.

Savery - if you're willing to do the challenge tracking, that'd be WONDERFUL! Has anyone decided what their personal challenge is going to be? I'm thinking that my goal for September is to lose 5 pounds by the end of the month - which doesn't sound like much, but I'll be in Orlando for the last week of it for a seminar and VACATION, so it'll be hard for me to reach that goal! I'm a slow loser, every ounce is a struggle sometimes!

Happy September, everyone!

Replies

• saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    I'm happy to do the challenge as I'm online pretty much daily! :blushing: Do we want to have it in a new thread so it doesn't get lost amongst this one or do we just want to keep it here?
  • Resalyn
    New thread is probably good! That way people's results won't get lost in the shuffle of the other LC thread? Anyone have any ideas to a good name for the challenge?
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    I'm sorry - lost on what the Challenge is...?
    Exercise?
    nutrition?
    Both?
  • saverys_gal
    I'm sorry - lost on what the Challenge is...?
    Exercise?
    nutrition?
    Both?

Hi mojogurl! The September challenge is...to create your own. :laugh: That's what the others had already decided on, so we'll flow with it!

res- I don't know about a name. We could just keep it simple and have it be the LLC September Challenge.
  • XFitMojoMom
    Oh okay! :laugh:
    Anyway... hmmm...
    I don't pressure myself to lose weight, because with IR (Insulin Resistance), it's not so easy. I can workout until the cows come home and not lose weight...
    so with that said:
    5 days wk/60 minutes exercise
    try to be more consistent with staying alcohol free
    and stick to my high protein, high fat low carb plan....

hopefully that will yield a 3 pound loss for the month.
  • saverys_gal
    Awesome goal mojo! Once we're settled on a name for the challenge and I set up the thread, I'll post the link and you can go put your goal over there. :smile:

By the way, can you tell me more about IR? You mentioned it on our last thread in regards to my wonky TOMs but I've never heard of it before...
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Hello my LLC Family :)

My september challenge for myself is to get to my goal weight!
  • XFitMojoMom
    Awesome goal mojo! Once we're settled on a name for the challenge and I set up the thread, I'll post the link and you can go put your goal over there. :smile:

By the way, can you tell me more about IR? You mentioned it on our last thread in regards to my wonky TOMs but I've never heard of it before...

Well, not much to say other than it's a pre-cursor to diabetes. I had gestational diabetes (using insulin) in my second pregnancy, was cleared after birth for diabetes. Went for a check up and had blood fasting glucose testing done - the numbers were in "normal" range but I was really struggling with my periods, hot flashes, all the peri-menopausal symptoms you can think of (I'm 37 at the time of the check up). The nutritionist said eating 1200 cals was way too low for my metabolism, to ramp it up slowly to 1600, but to expect a 5-6 pound weight gain before I would see my metabolism kick in and start burning more efficiently.
    Gained 13 pounds in 3 months, still exercising 5 days/week. Had a second blood/glucose test done and again, although within "normal values", it was at the higher end.
    Endocrinologist recognized it as syndrome X/metabolic syndrome/insulin resistance. Said because of my dad's diabetes, it's a hereditary factor for me, not a dietary one and I will forever "struggle" with weight loss.
    He put me on an Rx of 1g Glumetza (similar to Metformin for PCOS sufferers). I was never formally diagnosed with PCOS (and had two healthy pregnancies), I had several miscarriages and irregular menses - he was certain it was most likely present but I just struck it rich with two full term pregnancies. (It may be present again on my father's side - my cousin is childless and I know has tried to no avail.)

So after getting all of this cleared and squared away, the first 7 weeks on the Rx, I lost the 13 pounds I gained, and another 11 on top of it.
    CrossFit is a huge part of my "re-shaping", but I believe my pseudo-paleo nutrition is as well. My Nutrition COach (who you will see I quote often here) has really helped me out and taught me a lot, and while he uses his nutrition background for training figure competitors and elite athletes - so it may not be for some... I've made some huge changes by following his suggestions.

sorry - that was long...
    but I figure if you aren't interested, you'd skip over it... but if you are, it may help you out :glasses: :flowerforyou:
  • saverys_gal
    Okay LLCers, the September challenge thread is up! Go and post your goals!! :happy:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/117209-group-llc-september-challenge
  • Resalyn
    I posted over at the Challenge thread too - won't have much time to post today at work, got a ton of stuff to do, so I figured I'd post early and come back tonight. Everyone have a great day!
  • saverys_gal
    Happy September 1st LLCers! :bigsmile:

Let's start this month off with a bang!!

Hope everyone is having a good morning so far! Mine could be better...TOM finally blessed me with its presence last night so I'm feeling pretty yucky today! And today is my first day going artificial sweetener free! :ohwell: This should be interesting! Between the two, I'm feeling pretty >>>>:devil:

Hehe.
  • Yeah...I found ya!!!! Already posted on the Challenge thread...

Have a great September 1st!!!

Colette
  • tammietifanie
    Hello My LLC Family!!!! It's our first day of September YAY!!!!! I was wondering if everyone could share with me a few of their favorite Breakfast idea's that are no more then 5 net carbs and also Does anyone know when being on phase 1 how long does it take for your body to go into Ketosis?
  • saverys_gal
    Hello My LLC Family!!!! It's our first day of September YAY!!!!! I was wondering if everyone could share with me a few of their favorite Breakfast idea's that are no more then 5 net carbs and also Does anyone know when being on phase 1 how long does it take for your body to go into Ketosis?

Happy September girl! :bigsmile:
    Breakfast...hmm...I suck at breakfast! I drink a protein shake or a cup of low carb milk EVERY SINGLE morning....lol. Maybe once every couple of months on the weekend I'll do something different but that's it.
    The MIMs are under 5 net carbs; if you go back to the August thread resalyn posted the recipe there.
    You could do and omlette with some veggies or scrambled eggs with veggies-a little bit of bell peppers, mushrooms etc, just a little bit wouldn't be too high of a net carb count.

Can't help you with the ketosis question...maybe one of our other LLC family members can??
  • tammietifanie
    I eat the same thing for breakfast every day and i wanted to see if there's something new that's still on phase 1. I do have protein shake that i do only if im busy and don't have time to cook a meal but i get sick of those real fast
  • saverys_gal
    In my almost 14 months on Atkins, I've had something other than a protein shake for breakfast...maybe 5 times? LOL. I don't get tired of them but then again, I'm not really a breakfast person at all. But I would try the MIMs or eggs in a different way. If I see anything new I'll pass it your way!
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Hello every one. i have been trying my best to get myself together this morning. Get my mind to working. Kinda of hard.
    i did get my book this morning but have not has time to read it yet. It isThe new Atkins for a new you. I have never been on the any of the Aatkins diet befor, so this is a challenge to me. We went grocer shopping and they delived my power wheel chair. So I am having to learn how to navigate it. But I will get it all together one day.

How about a list of breakfast ideals for 5 grams of carbs. Lunch and dinner I can work it in just fine but breakfast is kind of hard. eggs get old.

Thanks you all for being here
    Marie.
  • saverys_gal
    Hi Marie! I think we're all having a bit of a rough day-no one has been over here on our thread!

Learning Atkins is the hard part. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature! For me, I can't think of eating any other way now! It's definitely hardest the first two weeks but once you get through the first few days it really is the greatest feeling! :smile:

Breakfast is a tough one! The only thing I can come up with that's LC is eggs, MIMs and a protein shake! Although eggs can be done so many ways...

Nicole
  • XFitMojoMom
    I eat chicken breast with a side of avocado
    turkey meat balls this morning.. didn't have a fat though.
    the other day I did steak & eggs, truly one of my faves

a lot of people can't do a meat for breakie - but try it, it's really yum!
  • saverys_gal
    I just wish I could make myself want to eat breakfast! :laugh:

mojogurl-you definitely do breakfast in a way most people don't! I never would have thought of meatballs!!
This discussion has been closed.