Would you date someone overweight?

Options

Replies

• FlyThisKite
    FlyThisKite Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Personally,I would date a man regardless of weight. Personality and similarities in interests are important. I am very active, which means I would much rather spend the day looking for a new adventure, like a new beach, new antique store, mini golf, used book store, cosmic bowling,museums, exhibits, pirate invasions etc......than veg at home.

But where I live if you don't aspire to eat kelp, do yoga, crossfit or be some or another kind of health guru with the body of a God other than Buddha you pretty much have a low to 0 chance of dating...

If i don't fit the bill for the dating criteria here soon I'll be eligible for my crazy cat lady starter kit in about 5 years...
    67667 Posts: 14
    Options
    I would but I would want to help them to be healthier.
  • xNausicaa
    xNausicaa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yes! I mean I love lanky guys but this guy I had a crush on was chubby when I first met him, but now he lost all the weight. I prefer him chubby though, he was super adorable, but he looks great regardless c:
  • dodochoga
    dodochoga Posts: 33
    Options
    If you are someone obsessed with weight, that'd be a criteria. If it is someone who obsesses about their own weight, they will obsess about your weight. That usually happens to weak individuals who lack self-confidence because of years of bullying or emotional trauma. Otherwise, you really don't know who you will fall in love with and once you are in love, it doesn't matter how they look(sometimes even how they act, but I digress).
  • nigelwood3
    Options
    Once my fat girdle is gone I will continue to work hard to keep it off. That means a lot of my diet behaviours such as calorie counting and daily cardio are now permanent.

I have dated someone who was overweight. I could do so again but only if they supported me choosing a fitter, leaner, healthy lifestyle for myself and that seems unlikely. A relationship with someone who wasn't supportive or encouraged me to back slide wouldn't work and I'll respect myself enough to end it.
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    :wink: One never knows just what we will be attracted: to now or in the future .
    I prefer sense of humour ... myself .
    Wasn't over weight when hubby and i got married ... but we both are at the moment and doing something about it ! :tongue:

I am 66 yrs of age and hubby 69 yrs of age ... never too late to take charge of your lifestyle .
  • aka_Kamalevantis
    Options
    My hubby was 30stone when I met him (he is 7ft tall) and I was about 16stone, we've been together 10 years, married for 9 years..... So yes I guess I would.

That said I didn't notice my hubby's size (weight) when I met him, I noticed his height, wonderful personality and kind nature.... Size was not even a consideration for me.

xXx
  • desireecl
    desireecl Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have and would again. I know the shame and feelings of exclusion and being unattractive whilst overweight...I am overweight now and it was only a few lbs ago that I was obese. I know that despite being heavy and having neglected my health and appearance for too long,I am still a beautiful, intelligent, funny, kind, amazing woman who is deserving of love and respect just as every human being is.
    As long as all of the other attributes of a happy relationship are present, I don't mind a man being slightly to moderately overweight. There is a point where I have to draw the line...I will not date someone who is overweight to the point where it is endangering his health or that the danger is imminent, unless he is actively trying to transition to a healthier lifestyle and reduce his weight. I can't deal with a person who is sick, but too complacent or lazy or whatever to do what is necessary to save his own life.
    Taking charge of one's health after a period of poor eating and exercise habits is something that only the individual can do, no matter how much I love a person, I cannot love them into good health and it would kikk me to watch them deteriorate when they have the power to make the necessary changes.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I never did and I don't think I would. I just find it really unattractive. It's not a judgement thing; I'm just not attracted to overweight guys. This doesn't mean that I couldn't love someone overweight. It would be different if something happened and my husband gained weight.

Pretty much this
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I would date someone who was overweight. I'm not really active relationship-wise but if I met someone who I connected with, it probably wouldn't cross my mind.
  • lookinggoodkel
    lookinggoodkel Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    i have

Its their personality and if we connect that makes me date
  • LeanneHarrington3
    LeanneHarrington3 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I do :)
  • suzyque32
    suzyque32 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm overweight but I would date me! LOL Except I'm not into girls... To each their own. No matter how thin, heavy, tall, short, whatever physical characteristics you have - some will find you attractive, and others will not. In the mean time, I'm working on getting healthy and out of the overweight category. Not to attract men, but to stick around for many more years to torture - I mean be there for- my sons :smile:
  • Still1Workoutatatime
    Still1Workoutatatime Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'd much rather date someone that makes me laugh and treats me with respect who has a some extra pounds on him than someone who is super fit but treats me poorly.

pretty much sums it up, and hey if there game to workout EVEN better!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I don't have a specific weight requirement. He just needs to be attractive to me physically, emotionally and intellectually. I generally am attracted to fit, healthy people (not perfect, over-the-top fitness model types because that's a little too intense a personality for me) who share a similar lifestyle and values. If a guy had a little extra but he was a good match, I wouldn't rule him out. Being perfectly honest, though, obesity isn't attractive to me, just as I am not attractive to people who prefer a more voluptuous partner. Each to his/her own.

You can still be fit and healthy and be a little borderline overweight I think, but most guys beyond that point just don't seem to have much in common with me in terms of interests. (I'm sure there are exceptions, but I haven't seen too many.) I'm not a sit around and drink beer and watch football kind of person. I'd rather go out and hike in the mountains or go for a run instead.

I'm married to a good looking middle-aged guy who's in pretty good shape, so I don't think about dating anymore, but if my man packed on some pounds due to injury or health problems he would still be my guy, no question. I'm already hooked! You never know what's in the future and you have to be willing to adapt...I just wouldn't be too happy if he willingly chose to let himself go. I'm glad my husband is as motivated as I am to maintain our health and fitness and to stay awesome for ourselves and for each other for as long as we can. :heart:
  • madisonsmith1297
    Options
    I have almost exclusively dated obese men. I do believe for me personally its more important who they are not what they look like. But I am overweight myself so I think more often similar bodies find each other. My dilemma was that while dating overweight men who were not active at all they couldn't keep up with my physical needs. So maybe i should be dating thinner men, and they can keep up with me.
  • misscem94
    misscem94 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yes, for the most part. It all depends on their attitude and personality.
  • DJManos
    DJManos Posts: 220
    Options
    This is quite simple. It is about the person and not the body. Period.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I would but I would want to help them to be healthier.

You would want to be with someone only to try changing them? Why even bother?
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    I did, and the sex was great but going out was not so good