Would you date someone overweight?

Options

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I'm just interested to see if some of these guys saying no drop their girl as soon as she gets preggers lol. Because she's going to become overweight (some might have complications and become downright obese) and it has nothing to do with losing touch with herself or her health.

Considering that single motherhood is on the rise, there may be a correlation there.

I've seen it happen to quite a few girls. Once they weren't the epitome of perfection they got traded in like a used car.

I prefer to think that the relationship was doomed to begin with and the pregnancy just scared off bad quality men. :shrugs:
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I'm just interested to see if some of these guys saying no drop their girl as soon as she gets preggers lol. Because she's going to become overweight (some might have complications and become downright obese) and it has nothing to do with losing touch with herself or her health.

Considering that single motherhood is on the rise, there may be a correlation there.

I've seen it happen to quite a few girls. Once they weren't the epitome of perfection they got traded in like a used car.
    Agreed. This happens more than people think.
  • ashleyblossom1
    ashleyblossom1 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Yeah, according to some, it is a miracle that anyone finds me attractive at all.

You're kind of covering your face a bit but from what I can see you're adorable.

I'm ok. Definitely not bad for 310lbs+.
    Hands off! He's mine!

Haha oops all yours hun

No wait!

This could be a rare opportunity...

Haha we wouldn't want him to get jealous.
  • Filmlotus
    Filmlotus Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    When I meet someone who loves me at a heavier weight, I am more assured that they will love me at my best. It is about loving each other through sickness and in health. Obesity is a sickness that nobody wants (at least most people wouldn't wish it upon themselves), so if you're going to be there for someone in youth and health, but not in old age and sickness, then you're rather a shallow and selfish lover. No thanks I say.

"... if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    ― Marilyn Monroe
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Yeah, according to some, it is a miracle that anyone finds me attractive at all.

You're kind of covering your face a bit but from what I can see you're adorable.

I'm ok. Definitely not bad for 310lbs+.
    Hands off! He's mine!

Haha oops all yours hun

No wait!

This could be a rare opportunity...

Haha we would want him to get jealous.

A bit of Chinese fingercuff action will make him forget his jealousy.
  • littlebutlean
    littlebutlean Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    ^ In for relevant username.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    This is really situational. Making a "yes" or "no" blanket statement is kind of impossible. For example, if he's an as shole, then definitely not.

Is he working to get fit?
    How overweight is "overweight?"

It's really important to me that my partner shares my interests and past times. I want someone who will eat the same foods I eat, and who will get out and move with me.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    No, because I am married. Otherwise, since I am overweight, I suppose that I could not very well judge a woman for being overweight. All that being said, yes, weight would be a factor in my decision as to whether to date a woman or not but only in extreme cases. Sorry, but true. There is a point in which a woman's weight would become an issue and conversely, I would expect that a woman would have a right to judge me by the same criteria... I mean if my weight is to the point that I would have major health issues or if it were to impact my ability to provide for my family... I am just saying, there is a point. No, she would not have to be a size 10 and I would not even rule out size 18, 20, 22, or even 24 ... Size 5X, 6X, 7X... that would start being an issue most likely. Yes I agree that personality is the more important issue and weight does not keep a person from being a wonderful human being.. at any size... but when one considers dating, that becomes a different issue...

Now, reading down the list I read several posts about wondering about after pregnancy. Pregnancy and being overweight are totally separate issues... and of course once I commit to a person, I am in as long as she will have me provided that she continues to be faithful and treat me right (which my wife does... I never even contemplate not staying with her... weight is totally irrelevant at this point of our relationship... we do both try to take care of ourselves but under no circumstances would I leave her because she gained weight)....
  • littlebutlean
    littlebutlean Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options

Yeah this is actually a good point. The term "overweight" could essentially be a pound or 300 pounds, what are we looking at here? I sort of assumed this meant significantly overweight, or obese.. not sure why I assumed that.
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I agree that if the person in question is working to lose weight, then that could positively influence my decision. But being physically attractive to me is just as important as having a likable personality.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    god no never

fitbit says i'm lightly active and i prefer someone who can keep up with me
  • mandasauruss
    mandasauruss Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I PREFER chubby guys! :)
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    I am overweight ...everyone & their grandma wants to date me obviously

so that settles this thread

good night
  • swaggityswagbag
    swaggityswagbag Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Currently dating someone technically overweight, who has gained about 20 pounds since we started dating (which is saying a lot because they're really, really short), whereas I've lost about 30. Still insanely attracted to them.
  • srr728
    srr728 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    just because someone is in a certain weight category doesnt mean health. Crackheads are usually fairly skinny too and cancer patients going thru chemo.

And I usually dont prefer someone who is all "perfectly" fit bc odds are "they are wayyyy too into themselves ".

This can go so may different ways.
  • SpyridonGR
    Options
    I'm almost 300 lbs and my SO is about 92 lbs and very beautiful. She seems to think there's something attractive about me. I am a pretty funny guy but other than that I'm not sure why someone would want to date someone so overweight. But hey I'm not complaining!
  • MJC360
    MJC360 Posts: 368
    Options
    I have in the past but I don't believe I would start a new relationship with someone that's overweight now. But on the other hand if my SO gained weight I wouldn't leave her because of it.
  • ashleyblossom1
    ashleyblossom1 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 300 lbs and my SO is about 92 lbs and very beautiful. She seems to think there's something attractive about me. I am a pretty funny guy but other than that I'm not sure why someone would want to date someone so overweight. But hey I'm not complaining!

You're obviously an amazing person.
  • lj5109
    lj5109 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Yeah this is actually a good point. The term "overweight" could essentially be a pound or 300 pounds, what are we looking at here? I sort of assumed this meant significantly overweight, or obese.. not sure why I assumed that.

I would say "overweight" would apply to someone above average weight but not obese. Overweight people can still be active and relatively healthy. And if they are on MFP or using other programs, then health and fitness are a priority for them. I think as a society we like to put people in boxes. In this case, either thin/healthy/fit or obese/sick/lazy. There is certainly a huge range in between the two.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I don't like how it looks/feels. It is not because of a PRE-JUDGEMENT about personally, lifestyle, or anything else. Hope that clarifies....... If not, I'm thinking you just want something to argue about.

It clarifies that I think perhaps we have a different understanding of the word judgement. In any event, I'm not looking for something to argue about - I was trying to reconcile an anomaly in your original comment. NBD.