vent--There are too many skinny people at the gym

Options

Replies

• kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i mean can we really say that body shaming is an equal two way street though. like do we think skinny/fit people are made fun of just as much as overweight people are. not that any of it is okay. I'm just sayin

Yes, body shaming is a two way street. Just because YOU don't experience it, doesn't mean it's not happening.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    i mean can we really say that body shaming is an equal two way street though. like do we think skinny/fit people are made fun of just as much as overweight people are. not that any of it is okay. I'm just sayin

I don't think anyone said that they were made fun of just as much. When I responded to you the first time, I even agreed on that with you. I did say I think that it is more accepted. And again, I don't think either is acceptable.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    in to read later for funsies
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

Irregardless, it should be treated the same. Anyone willing to throw blows at someone for their physical appearance is disgusting. It doesn't matter who has it worse
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

What does it matter if one group of people "may" not be as discriminated with/made fun of as much as another (especially one that is the polar opposite of that first group).

What are you even trying to get at?
  • zericaaaaa
    zericaaaaa Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I think you guys are being overly harsh. This person just wants to vent.

As a person with asthma, I would have confronted "Trophy Wife" and asked her not to wear perfumes at the gym because it can cause allergic reactions in other patrons, and it's not necessary to smell good there; the gym already smells like sweat so nobody is going to notice if she has body odor--but perfume is either toxic to or a distraction for others.

There are some gyms that are more about being a hook-up joint than working out. You don't want to be at *that* gym anyway. But if you are in a normal gym, people are there to get a job done. They come in, they do their workout routine, and they leave. Small-talk will happen as people wait between sets or set up for classes, but everyone is really focused on their own agenda, not your appearance.

At my gym I have sometimes been glared at or hovered over intimidatingly for being female while free-weight lifting. But any comments on my weight have all been encouragements to continue working out. I've never had someone in a gym comment on my appearance in a way that was not supportive of my being there.

It's okay to be a little annoyed that they look so hot, to be a little jealous, but you need to direct that energy in a way that supports your goals. Don't be intimidated. Try to be inspired.

Unless an individual is a jerk to you. Then you have to chalk it up to that person's insecurity, and tell them to foist off and leave you alone--you have work to do.
    ^This. ALL of this. :smile:

THIS IS WHAT I MEAN
  • cakebatter07
    cakebatter07 Posts: 814 Member
    Options

The fit people worked for it. Jealousy and loathing does nothing for your physique.

Get working.

QFT!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I don't play Oppression Olympics.

I mean. I don't have all day to figure out if my life is harder because I'm black or because I'm a woman or because I'm fat (was anyway) or because i wanna be muscular or because I was raised by a single mom or blahblahblah.

Life is hard. Being a body shaming jerk makes you awful. Period.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    the crime here is that ANYONE is looking at an overweight person and judging. but when a fat person is judging a skinny one, do you think its from a cruel place? or one of jealousy? and when a skinny person is judging a fat one. is that out of cruelty or jealousy?

Are you actually trying to justify slurs used by someone jealous?

no just read what i wrote

Okay, if I wasn't in..I'm in now for telling Evgeni to read.

:laugh:
  • zericaaaaa
    Options
    lets make a support group for all the trophy wives and meatheads then
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options

Let's not degrade people based off physical appearances.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I'm sure that wasn't meant the way I took it. :flowerforyou:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Will there be cocktails and cake?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    the crime here is that ANYONE is looking at an overweight person and judging. but when a fat person is judging a skinny one, do you think its from a cruel place? or one of jealousy? and when a skinny person is judging a fat one. is that out of cruelty or jealousy?

Either and or both. Obviously. Why is this even a question?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

We did. You weren't invited because you don't make the requirements. :flowerforyou:

Don't take that offensively though. I'm just venting
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    The Oatmeal made a comic strip about this exact thing:

1.jpg

CLICK HERE for the full strip: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/gym
  • zericaaaaa
    Options

Will there be cocktails and cake?

YESS!!!!! more than you could ever imagine ;)
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    :indifferent:
  • zericaaaaa
    Options

We did. You weren't invited because you don't make the requirements. :flowerforyou:

just tryin to lighten the mooooood come on people!!
  • zericaaaaa
    Options
    cant we just all get along?