Senior Golden Sneakers -April 2011

Replies

• elli
    elli Posts: 593
    oh Maddie..........wishing you well, sending you healing, calm peaceful thoughts. Hang in there.

Sorry I'm doing such a bad job of staying connected right now guys. it's all i can do to get my food and exercise logged on - and some days i don't even get THAT done.

I just don't have time to read all the posts i've missed but i'm thinking about you all.

love u guys,

elli
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Hi Gigi, you did great to go to the gym for that long. When I go, the bike for 45 minutes is tough, not for me in a cardio way, its because I get stiff! Lol, I watched a lady make a circuit of her equipment and she ended on the treadmill. I may try that next time.
    Glad the storms missed you.

Maddie, I know those kind of dr. Kind of makes you wonder what school they went to, and did they really graduate!
    glad you are a bit better.
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    I am new here, HELLO, I am Natalie, been on MFP since March 7, and have been having a tuff time of it.. I log all I eat, exercise, and well, I gained 2 lbs weighed this morning..from last weeks weigh in... I had lost 3 lbs, and now, I am up 2 again, so total lost in a month and a week is ONE
    Frustration has set in....
    I weighed myself abotu 30 min ago, I am up from this morning by 4 pounds, is that possible?
    Maybe it's the scale?
    I drank so much water today that I think that I am floating!! 10 glasses...
    SUggestions...
    Natalie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,267 Member

Sandy - I wanted to asked you before but with all the things and posting I keep forgetting, is the nail hardener worked for you
    :wink: :wink: :wink: has worked wonders for me.

Gigi

I love it Gigi I finally got to grow my own nails to a decent length and I have been getting the no chip manicure which makes them strong also. Unfortunately I broke two nails this week, must be all that hard work I do. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That even made me laugh, I am going to remove the polish and put some more of the nail hardener on my nails to keep them strong.
    I can't tell you how happy you made me with saving my nails. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    I am new here, HELLO, I am Natalie, been on MFP since March 7, and have been having a tuff time of it.. I log all I eat, exercise, and well, I gained 2 lbs weighed this morning..from last weeks weigh in... I had lost 3 lbs, and now, I am up 2 again, so total lost in a month and a week is ONE
    Frustration has set in....
    I weighed myself abotu 30 min ago, I am up from this morning by 4 pounds, is that possible?
    Maybe it's the scale?
    I drank so much water today that I think that I am floating!! 10 glasses...
    SUggestions...
    Natalie

Connie said - First, Natalie, welcome to our cozy little groups. You'll find people here of like age, some retired, some still working, some at their goal and many still struggling.

That said, I took the liberty of looking at your food diary, and then viewing a report dating back to April 1. The thing that jumped out at me is the amount of sodium you're ingesting. My gosh, girl - there are days when you're taking in twice the amount newly recommended by the American Heart Association. (1500 mg) Sodium makes the body retain water - and water is heavy. And since you're doing the right thing in drinking lots of it, it's no wonder you go up four pounds during the course of the day.

That Newman's Own dressing has enough sodium in it to stock a deer lick.Unless you're sweating buckets full every day, you need to cut back.
    Hi Natalie. I'm. Glad you found us, and I hope you will be too.
    i'm no expert, thats first. If you are drinking plenty of fluids everyday, then maybe you are right to think it may be your scale. An easy way to check is to put a known weight on the scale, and see how close it comes to the known weight.
    The other suggestion is that you are retaining fluids, even though you are drinking your water. To fluctuate is normal, but not in large numbers. Which leads us to the big S.. sodium. We discussed this just this week, sodium is everywhere! Cutting back on it can make a big difference in retention issues. If you haven't been checking, look back on your logging and see how much sodium you have been absorbibg. Then think about whether you add it to prepared foods. One of the sneakers, Buzz, cut hers down to 1000 mg per day and she has had good results.
    We look forward to getting to know you!

P.s., hi Connie, like minds, etc. Lol
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Welcome Natalie.

The best advise I can give you is stay off those scales. You weigh more at night than you do in the morning If you must weigh Just once in the morning. is your true weight. Th others have covered Sodium pretty good and wisely. I am just weighing once a month Another one of us is staying off the scales now. Just weighing when she goes to a class of exercise I believe. I hear if you do weigh every morning to average it out for the weekAnd that will give you your true weight..Do not worry about the scales just concentrate on your food intake. The weight will come off. Believe me. come here and post as much as you like. Get it off your chest. That will help. You will find good surport here.

The old saying is calories in calories out. Is that right I don't think so. Help me out girls!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome again.We are fighting this battle together.:heart:
  • grabbit97
    OK, first, how do I quote someone's message in BLUE? Next, yes, I have a tendency to eat alot of prepared foods, because I HATE to cook, I probably do take in more sodium than I should.... we eat out alot, it's hard, so I guess I am going to have to do as best I can ... I will also try and stay OFF the scale for a week, only to weigh in next Monday. Darn thing anyway.
    I had the leftover chinese chicken and veggies tonight with 1/2 cup of brown rice, and some steamed broccoli.
    Does anyone eat popcorn? I love the smart pop kettle corn.... anyone eat that?
    Natalie
  • Caharleygirl
    Caharleygirl Posts: 110 Member
    Hi everyone...sorry I have been MIA but it's just been crazy here. Yesterday I wanted to do something active and good for me so we went to the Renaissance Pleasure Faire. We walked for over 3 hours so that was good. I only logged 90 minutes tho cause we had to keep stopping for potty breaks cause my diuretics were kicking hard yesterday for some reason...lol. Then we had to do the day off stuff like grocery shopping, housework, etc. Today, I was on my way to Loma Linda to exercise and blew a tire....ugggh. Took AAA forever and then they couldn't get the lug nuts off so I had to be towed home. Then spent all day looking for new tires. Got them all replaced so I'm good to go to Loma Linda tomorrow. Anyway then I was sooooo tired that I laid down and slept all afternoon. Thought it was because I over did it yesterday but turns out I forgot to take my meds.

I'm so happy to be part of this group now and look forward to getting to know you all better...if anyone wants to friend me on here or on facebook, please feel free to add me.

Everyone: keep up the good work...you all inspire me so much

Maddie: I hope you feel better soon and please don't hesitate to go to the ER if you need too.

Natalie: I agree it is probably sodium/water retention. You would be amazed at how much water you can retain. I can go up 5 pounds in a day and I watch my sodium pretty good (although I can't get it as low as I would like but I try). I also noticed that you rarely come close to meeting your protein goal. Try upping your protein and cutting back on your sodium and see if that helps. I also hate to cook. Feel free to look at my diaries for ideas of what I eat without cooking too much. Know that we are all here to help you in anyway we can. That being said, try not to fixate on the scale, try to concentrate on eating & feeling healthy.
  • grabbit97
    Natalie: I agree it is probably sodium/water retention. You would be amazed at how much water you can retain. I can go up 5 pounds in a day and I watch my sodium pretty good (although I can't get it as low as I would like but I try). I also noticed that you rarely come close to meeting your protein goal. Try upping your protein and cutting back on your sodium and see if that helps. I also hate to cook. Feel free to look at my diaries for ideas of what I eat without cooking too much. Know that we are all here to help you in anyway we can. That being said, try not to fixate on the scale, try to concentrate on eating & feeling healthy.

Reply to above..
    Thank you, I did look at your diary, and you do very well.... and have lost... I do feel much better since I have been eating on the MFP plan... I will continue to monitor what I eat by writing down everything...
    I did so much water today, 10 glasses which is way more than I usually drink.
    I will keep in touch.
    Natalie
    Welcome, Donna! Marie told us to expect you. Loma Linda is in Calif. Isnt it? I havent looked at your profile. That is tough about your tire trouble and ending up being towed. Glap you had good auto club coverage, these days I dont think Id want to be without it.
    You are doing great so far. Do you eat out much? It really is tough to do without getting boring, grilled chicken, sauted chicken, baked chicken, oh fish! Lol, and then the vegetables. I nearly fell over when I saw that Dennys added spinach to their choices.
    Natalie, there are a lot of choices to sift thru to reduce sodium. Its tough to lose soup, or prepared soups. Soup in restaurants always taste salty to me.
    Let us know how it goes.
  • CALIECAT
    :heart: :heart: :heart: Good morning Sneakers this beautiful Tuesday Morning. Howdy all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Donna good to see you. I have really been looking for you. So nice to have you here.A big Texas welcome to you

Natalie good to hear from you. again too. Welcome to our group

Sandy I beat you , What a nice husband you have to go buy you a coffee maker and by the way how is he feeling. Did he find out anything yet

If you gals have any problems getting around on this site Don't be shy Sandy and Connie are our experts on here. They solve our ccomputer problems They also know how to loose that weight too.

Judy glad to have you as a friend on facebook. Donna what name are you under? I am under Eula Marie Ward..

Judi good morning to you. i am really having a problems of remembering all of our Judi, Judy For some reasons I want to call Jackie Judi.

Phoebe. Good morning to you. My old time friend. You are getting good on your phone. but no pictures yet? How is your friend on facebook with you? she is still on vacation? i can't think of her name. She takes lovely pictures on the road.

A special good morning to my friend Lyn. She always brighten my day with her lovely songs.

Barbiecat and Jake Have fun. on your trip:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    :heart:
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: To all of the rest of youthat I missed sending my love:heart:

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    Good morning Irene, Gayla, Dee,
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • LUV2CRUZ
    LUV2CRUZ Posts: 356 Member
    Good Morning. I am up and that's it. I feel a little better but I'm still keeping the appt tomorrow. My goal is to stay upright today. The antibiotic is nasty. I have no appetite, loose stool, upset stomach....and this is to cure me from what's really wrong. I've been reading your posts and I don't know who said what but whoever said I was stressin was correct and panicking was also correct. I have been able to get a handle on that and it's really helping. I will call 911 if I need to but I think it won't be necessary now. Speaking of 911, my husbands boss is in charge of the service around here and when we call, the medic, the firetrucks and about 20 people show up. Then he calls to see who's sick and are they treating us right. Friend in high places!

So many new people, I hope to catch up. You all sound wonderful!

I talked to my mother on the phone and she is feeling better but she is still hold crap in her chest. The are working on it but I wish I could go over there to make sure they are doing it right. I am a control freak when it comes to the hospital. I know from experience that it can be the most dangerous place to be because often you are being treated by strangers.

It's raining here again but I looked out and everything is in bud. Spring is here, this weekend we could go to the river overnight if we wanted but I don't think it will work out.......only color and beauty ahead!!!

Maddie :heart:

mz_4066575_bodyshot_175x233-1.gif
    SOON AND VERY SOON!
  • CALIECAT
    Mattie hey you sound so much better welcome back to our world.. But do not overdo it today. Glad you talk to your mother. Thank you so much for informing us on the update.

Judy thanks you for sending me the video on you home town on facebook It was lovely. I couldn' live there for I didn't see any Walmart and I couldn't live without WalMart. How did you happen to live there. were you born there? Mattie and Judy have a wonderful day. How do you make your own video?
  • tlp8rb
    First a warm welcome to the new folks in the thread. I sure hope you will stick around, give us the benefit of your wisdom and experiences and let us help you where you might be struggling. I am adding your names to our roll call list.

As the "keeper of the list" (our roll call list) I think it is time to do some house cleaning. Our list is getting pretty long, and some of the people on the list seem to be missing in action.

Back in August of 2010, we had a visit from tobysjrzgrl - Judy - 64, Gardner, KS. I just checked her profile and it appears that the contact she had with us in August is the only post she'd made on My Fitness Pal. I'm going to assume she has found another way to keep track of her progress and get support so unless I hear from here in the next week, I'm going to take her name off of our roll call list.

Shirley61 - Shirley - 61, Ontario, Canada, ON is still active on MFP, posting on a 50+ thread regularly but hasn't paid us a visit in a long time. If anyone of you are on her friends list (or even if you're not), use the "Find Members" function to locate her and send her a message.

Sandi38 - Sandi, 62, Sun City, AZ has not posted anywhere since November of 2010. Did I miss something? Again, send her a message.

Who is Mary Ellen - 60 Boise, ID ?? I don't have a user name so I may have this nice lady on the list twice. Can anyone help?

Also, I have Mary Ann, with no other information. Again, is this a dupe and can anyone help me out here?

jstalittlecrzy - Leigh - 63, Northern Wisconsin is still posting elsewhere but hasn't visited here in a long time. Again, did anyone follow up on her with a friend request?

I think everyone else is visiting at least once or twice a month.

Thanks, everyone.

Connie, from the Ozarks (where the sun is shining and the laundry is hanging on the line).
  • tlp8rb
    Good Morning. I am up and that's it. I feel a little better but I'm still keeping the appt tomorrow. My goal is to stay upright today. The antibiotic is nasty. I have no appetite, loose stool, upset stomach....and this is to cure me from what's really wrong. I've been reading your posts and I don't know who said what but whoever said I was stressin was correct and panicking was also correct. I have been able to get a handle on that and it's really helping. I will call 911 if I need to but I think it won't be necessary now. Speaking of 911, my husbands boss is in charge of the service around here and when we call, the medic, the firetrucks and about 20 people show up. Then he calls to see who's sick and are they treating us right. Friend in high places!

Maddie :heart:

Maddie, I'm relieved to know the fingers are still working!! You are much on my mind these days.
  • tlp8rb
    Natalie said:
    OK, first, how do I quote someone's message in BLUE? Next, yes, I have a tendency to eat alot of prepared foods, because I HATE to cook, I probably do take in more sodium than I should

Natalie - instead of hitting the reply button, simply hit the quote button, get rid of the parts of the message you don't need, and then type your reply. When you do that, you will see the word "quote" enclosed in brackets. - that's where the blue box will start. Then you will see the word enclosed in brackets with a back slash in front of /quote - that is where the blue box will end.
    .... we eat out alot, it's hard, so I guess I am going to have to do as best I can ... I will also try and stay OFF the scale for a week, only to weigh in next Monday. Darn thing anyway.
    We also eat out a good bit. I always ask the server to instruct the chef to prepare our food without seasonings. I explain that we are on restricted sodium regimen. With today's economy, diners are not so plentiful that an establishment can afford to ignore a simple request like that. You'll see - it works wonders.
    Does anyone eat popcorn? I love the smart pop kettle corn.... anyone eat that?
    I eat popcorn but only dry popped either in an air popper or in a microwave popper. My husband on the other hand eats microwave popcorn that is reduced fat and low-sodium. His problem is that he doesn't understand that the bag holds three servings.

Connie
  • CALIECAT
    thanks Connie.

I have been keeping up with the birthdays and I need Donna and Natalie Birthdays.
  • Caharleygirl
    Caharleygirl Posts: 110 Member
    Marie: my birthday is December 30, 1957...thanks so much for including me :flowerforyou:
  • grabbit97
    [/quote]
    I eat popcorn but only dry popped either in an air popper or in a microwave popper. My husband on the other hand eats microwave popcorn that is reduced fat and low-sodium. His problem is that he doesn't understand that the bag holds three servings.

Connie
    [/quote]

OK, tried the blue box thing, lets see if it works, I am going to try and drink more water, and only eat one of those mini bags of popcorn a day....
    I know that I am suppose to watch the sodium.... I dont' cook, so it's hard for me to do that... I make a steak, that is about it...
    had left over chinese chicken and veggies, 1/2 cup of brown rice, for dinner last night and 1 cup steamed broccoli...
    Drank 10 glasses of water, that is ALOT for me...
    Natalie
This discussion has been closed.