How much protein do you really need?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    I would love to have someone tell Dorian Yates that he should only be consuming .5g-1g of protein per lb of his LBM or Bodyweight. He would quickly tell you to go <being MFP compliant> yourself. =)
    Lol, Dorian is a shadow of his former self now, but look at someone like Kai Greene or Jay Cutler (Mr. Olympia now) and tipping the scales off season at over 300lbs on 5'9" frames...............
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Yes...you do need both... But people eat MORE carbs then they need and it gets stored as fat if not used...that's all I was saying.

Agree. Too much protein is hardly the problem when it comes to the American diet. When I worked out my macros for the first time, I realized I was eating a staggeringly high amount of carbs. Sugar and refined carbs are everywhere.... downing 1,000+ calories on a carb-heavy meal can be done without blinking.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    That would be awesome... Lol it's unfortunate that I never find a lean choice for a burger
    Bison?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    This makes my head hurt.

I think the only thing I've gleaned from this discussion is that someone thinks we should all live off what is grown and we are overfeeding miserable cows... so we should all go vegan and starve all the cows to death.

I learn so much from message boards...
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Same here!
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I mean in restaurants... I make them at home with lean ground beef...have yet to try bison though!
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Best laugh I've had all day.
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I mean in restaurants... I make them at home with lean ground beef...have yet to try bison though!

I've had it, not as a burger though. I liked it. Of course, I grew up eating Bambi's mom.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight or build muscle and using the RDA arguement you do not realize that the government does not test their recommendations for these two dietary needs. They give their info out on what will keep you healthy. Heck, they don't even say if more or less is unhealthy, just that the number they give is healthy.

??? All major medical organizations have guidelines for losing weight and most suggest that include weight training. At least those that I read do.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    A single burger and a milkshake is 2-3x more protein than the daily requirement.

I'll be generous and spot them a Whopper which contains about 30g of protein. A milkshake might (read: MIGHT) contain a whopping 20g of protein.

So 50g of protein is 2-3x more than most people need? Meaning the daily requirement is 15-25g of protein daily. Yeah, I'm going to call bs on this article.

The article specifically says it's a 1/2 pound cheeseburger, so I don't think they're talking about a Whopper there.

The average person in this country is not a body-builder, and they are probably eating more protein than they need every day. We (Americans) tend to overdo everything, it seems.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    The article specifically says it's a 1/2 pound cheeseburger, so I don't think they're talking about a Whopper there.

The average person in this country is not a body-builder, and they are probably eating more protein than they need every day. We (Americans) tend to overdo everything, it seems.

Of course we do. But we also eat more carbs than we need and more fat than we need....but the calories have to come from somewhere, right?

If you apply that reasoning to carbs and fats as well, we would hardly eat anything at all. This is why the whole argument on how much protein or any macronutrient we "need" is misguided and a blanket statement that most of us eat more protein than we need is missing the forest for the trees.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options

Of course we do. But we also eat more carbs than we need and more fat than we need....but the calories have to come from somewhere, right?

If you apply that reasoning to carbs and fats as well, we would hardly eat anything at all. This is why the whole argument on how much protein or any macronutrient we "need" is misguided and a blanket statement that most of us eat more protein than we need is missing the forest for the trees.

Oh you. Get out of here with your calm and grounded logic. xD
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    This is so true. Nobody ever wants to listen to me because I'm vegan but people really don't need as much protein as they think they do. Plus its naturally found in a lot more foods than people realize. I'm up to 51 grams of protein so far today without even trying, and without any animal products.

No the article is full of crap. Protein minimums are required, not optional not only for muscle building but to lose weight (burning fat instead of muscle). It's all part of hitting your macronutrient requirements.

Protein minumums are required regardless of what kind of diet you choose to follow. However, the average woman needs about 50-60 grams of protein per day. If you get that from peanut butter or chicken, it doesn't make that much of a difference. And, carbs are needed for muscle growth also.

Nobody (including the article) said there weren't minimum amounts of protein needed, just that the average person consumes way more than they need.

And actually the average person consumes way LESS protein than they need, and consume way MORE carbs than they need.
  • greej
    greej Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    In case anyone's still wondering, here's a website full of vegan bodybuilders: http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    In case anyone's still wondering, here's a website full of vegan bodybuilders: http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/

While those guys are are in great shape and could compete in the fitness model divisions they are all significantly smaller than their non-vegan natural counterparts.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Curious as to why people seem to be so concerned about what bodybuilders are doing? It seems like these conversations always end up in an argument about what bodybuilders need/don't need.

Good question! Are the majority of MFP members bodybuilders?
    I'm new, curious, and possibly on the wrong site as I'm a middle-aged female that isn't an athlete or a bodybuilder. :laugh:

I was wondering that myself when I saw the article was from Shine - isn't that a young women's fashion/celebrity/beauty/dating type site? The article's target audience might not have been serious bodybuilders. Wouldn't the nutritional needs of a young female differ from the needs of a competitive bodybuilder?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Lol, comparing these competitors to top amateurs and pros would be like comparing my amateur skills in poker to a pro poker player. I'm not relevant when it comes to REAL competitions.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Curious as to why people seem to be so concerned about what bodybuilders are doing? It seems like these conversations always end up in an argument about what bodybuilders need/don't need.

Good question! Are the majority of MFP members bodybuilders?
    I'm new, curious, and possibly on the wrong site as I'm a middle-aged female that isn't an athlete or a bodybuilder. :laugh:

I was wondering that myself when I saw the article was from Shine - isn't that a young women's fashion/celebrity/beauty/dating type site? The article's target audience might not have been serious bodybuilders. Wouldn't the nutritional needs of a young female differ from a competitive bodybuilder's?

The correct diet for building muscle is the same regadless of size or sex, it's just scaled to your size. Not that I'm upset with you or upset at all but it does get old when people say "why do people care what body builders do".

Well, many body builders know a lot about nutrition for one thing. They have to have perfect nutrition to achieve what they achieve. It may not be practical to takeit to the extremes that they do, but the basic prinicples are the same.

#1- Get enough protein. 1-1.5g per pound of lean mass is the best number science has been able to identify for optimal muscle building potential.

#2- Fats and carbs are important. Most bodybuilders do take in large amounts of carbs, except during contest prep.

#3- Lift heavy

#4- set calorie intake to mean your goals, deficit to lose weight, surplus to gain weight.

These basic principles will work for anyone looking to build muscle. If you don't care how much muscle you have or lose then eat however little protein you like.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response, mcrow. I have one more question, if you wouldn't mind.:smile:
    You give a protein goal of 1-1.5g per pound of lean mass, but I often see 1 per kilogram. Is it per pound or per kilogram?

* skip the question, I just realized the answer!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    what if u don't eat meat? I need protein too! I am tired of eating nuts all day long. lol

I can't find where anyone answered your question amongst all the trolls and bickering! Check out this thread for some more ideas. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/312795-need-ideas-to-increate-protein

Off the top of my head I can think of the following non meat/nut ideas:
    Lentils (Black Beluga from Trader Joe's are REALLY HIGH)
    Greek Yogurt
    Eggs
    Quinoa
    Beans
    Peas
    Tofu