How much protein do you really need?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    joejccva71 wrote: »
    This is so true. Nobody ever wants to listen to me because I'm vegan but people really don't need as much protein as they think they do. Plus its naturally found in a lot more foods than people realize. I'm up to 51 grams of protein so far today without even trying, and without any animal products.

No the article is full of crap. Protein minimums are required, not optional not only for muscle building but to lose weight (burning fat instead of muscle). It's all part of hitting your macronutrient requirements.

Nobody (including the article) said there weren't minimum amounts of protein needed, just that the average person consumes way more than they need.

And actually the average person consumes way LESS protein than they need, and consume way MORE carbs than they need.

I have trouble believing that "the average person consumes way less protein than they need". If that were the case, people would be physically weak and unable to lift reasonably heavy objects, hearts would be atrophying, etc. I would love to be proven wrong though.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    This is so true. Nobody ever wants to listen to me because I'm vegan but people really don't need as much protein as they think they do. Plus its naturally found in a lot more foods than people realize. I'm up to 51 grams of protein so far today without even trying, and without any animal products.
    If you want to be vegan, there is nothing wrong with that. That doesn't mean everybody has the same goals as you. Btw, how much luecine are you consuming per meal?
    rml_16 wrote: »
    I'd listen to you! But I already agree with you, so it would be preaching to the choir. :-)

Too much protein is actually quite unhealthy and people think they need way more than they do, even when strength training.

That the great thing about science...it's true even if you don't believe it.

There is a plethora of studies that show the benefits of strength training and eating more protien than the minimum requirements of "not being deficient".

The amount of protien needed to be considered unhealthy in a average person is virtually impossible to consume for the majority of people.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    joejccva71 wrote: »

No the article is full of crap. Protein minimums are required, not optional not only for muscle building but to lose weight (burning fat instead of muscle). It's all part of hitting your macronutrient requirements.

Nobody (including the article) said there weren't minimum amounts of protein needed, just that the average person consumes way more than they need.

And actually the average person consumes way LESS protein than they need, and consume way MORE carbs than they need.

I have trouble believing that "the average person consumes way less protein than they need". If that were the case, people would be physically weak and unable to lift reasonably heavy objects, hearts would be atrophying, etc. I would love to be proven wrong though.

Since this thread is over 7 years old and the poster you quoted hasn't logged in here since November of 2015, I doubt he'll be back to provide any evidence to back up his claims. :D

But he's right nonetheless. The RDI for protein is a minimum, and while it may be adequate (not optimal) for an average, sedentary, normal weight person, it's not adequate and nowhere near optimal for active populations, older adults, people in caloric deficit and people engaging in strength training. In other words, for about 95% of the people on MFP.