Guns??

Options
Being2befit
Being2befit Posts: 127 Member
Sooo on my xmas lists I got this year, I got a request to buy a riffle gun for our household this year!! what are your thoughts about guns in the house?? I dont have problems with guns I just dont know if that would be a good gift to give someone!

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am in the UK, so the image of guns is completely different here, as in they are illegal, but there is no way in a million years I would ever allow a gun in the house with my children.

Countries with more guns have more gun crime. At least here the teenagers only manage to stab each other.
  • AudgePaudge
    AudgePaudge Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    That would be an AMAZING gift to give!! We have at least 3 in our house at all times. I keep mine right above my stove :) I've been asking for a shot gun for years...the pump action ones! I like the sound they make ;)
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    There is nothing to be afraid of with guns! Guns are safe, UNLESS you have a stupid person or a criminal around!

If you do get a gun for someone in your household, there are many gun-safe classes available all over the country. TEACH those around you how to use it, how to store it, how to be safe with it.

Nothing to fear...............
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Sooo on my xmas lists I got this year, I got a request to buy a riffle gun for our household this year!!

You'll shoot your eye out.
    -wtk

316355152_e19b815bcd3.jpg
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    If you are knowledgeable about guns, there is nothing wrong with owning them.
    Be educated and smart about them.
    We own two :)
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I am in the UK, so the image of guns is completely different here, as in they are illegal, but there is no way in a million years I would ever allow a gun in the house with my children.

Countries with more guns have more gun crime. At least here the teenagers only manage to stab each other.

If countries where the public has more guns have more crime, what do you call all of the riots going on in the UK right now? Also take a real look at the statistics not what you are being spoon fed. Haven't you heard of unground sales of illegal guns? Criminals will find a way to get guns whether they are illegal or not. Making something illegal doesn't make it impossible to get... look at the drug trade.
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I grew up with guns. I still have one that my dad got me when I was about 12. :smile: I don't see why it would be a problem as a gift. I have 2 daughters & we have multiple guns(locked up). They know better than to mess with them.

Some of my best memories with my Dad is when he would take my mom, my sisters, and me out to a range to shoot guns.
  • Redness82
    Redness82 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I grew up with guns, they are safe, people that use them are not. I think it would be a great gift idea. You may want to think about also offering to pay for a Gun Safety course if it is in your budget.
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I have four children in the house and a couple of reasons why I'd rather not have one. However, I grew up in the country and most of my family had guns in their houses including my Dad so it's all personal preference I believe.

I do keep a trusty Louisville Slugger underneath the bed and there's always my husband's golf clubs. Of course neither of those would stop a bullet coming in my direction though.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Without guns, the Brits would be speaking German, and the USA would be speaking Japanese.

Guns are merely an instrument. It takes a person to make an instrument dangerous.
  • Bigaug
    Bigaug Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My better half thinks that she needs a hand gun. Quite frankly given her temper I say HELL NO!
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    If you are knowledgeable about guns, there is nothing wrong with owning them.
    Be educated and smart about them.
    We own two :)

I agree with this too. I would only add, learn how to shoot it.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

If countries where the public has more guns have more crime, what do you call all of the riots going on in the UK right now? Also take a real look at the statistics not what you are being spoon fed. Haven't you heard of unground sales of illegal guns? Criminals will find a way to get guns whether they are illegal or not. Making something illegal doesn't make it impossible to get... look at the drug trade.

LMAO yeah, we have riots going on RIGHT NOW!

That was 3 days back in August.

And I said GUN CRIME
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Guns dont kill people... people kill people.

I grew up with guns around and learned to respect them. Im a pretty decent shot and I enjoy shooting. But... I wont have one in MY house as long as there are kids here. I could never forgive myself if something happened.
  • TeresaWash
    Options
    Growing up, there was always a gun sitting in the corner by the door. (and many many in the house) We were taught how to or perhaps I should say how "not to" handle a gun. We knew not to touch it and we didn't, unless an adult took us out to shoot it. 4 children in a house and none of us ever touched a gun without permission.
    That being said, i can't stand a gun in the house now that is not under lock (if there are children in the house) different time - - - different place..

I do think it is a great gift in the hands of the right people.
  • 3GKnight
    3GKnight Posts: 203
    Options
    Do you mean 'wiffle gun' or 'rifle'?
  • fitnatic67
    Options
    I'm an avid gun owner and I say go for it. My kids were raised with guns in the house. They have been taught gun safety since they were old enough to pick on up. Besides guns don't kill people, dad's with pretty daughters kill people!
  • AudgePaudge
    AudgePaudge Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I'm an avid gun owner and I say go for it. My kids were raised with guns in the house. They have been taught gun safety since they were old enough to pick on up. Besides guns don't kill people, dad's with pretty daughters kill people!

Love it!!
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options

I live in the UK too, but from what I know I am enclined to agree with the UK guy.

Riots are over in the UK now, and lasted for about a week or so (also it happened about 2 months ago too now).

Anyway, look at the real statistics not what you are being spoon fed (yep, this applies to you too, and yes, according to the stats I have heard - or been spoon fed - gun crime is higher in countries where guns are available to the public lawfully).

Sure, people will find a way to get something that is illegal... But then the difference between obtaining something that is "illegal" and "legal" is that in one case it is "illegal"... So technically, you can get arrested if you are found with it, it makes it more difficult to obtain, etc.

I guess though for the OP that if you want to get a gun, just get one... Everyone has something they like, so if it is your passion just go for it (as for offering one, probably depends on the person opinion, and I would not offer it - if I was able to - to someone who has kids).
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Without guns, the Brits would be speaking German, and the USA would be speaking Japanese.

Guns are merely an instrument. It takes a person to make an instrument dangerous.

Wise words