Guns??

Options

Replies

• p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Do you not think 748 accidental gun related deaths in one year is a price too high to bear for the legality of firearms?

There were 15,890 motor vehicle deaths in just the first half of 2011.... should we all stop driving too? I am just curious...

With any object that could potentially cause harm - there is a risk. Most of us are responsible people who educate ourselves in the proper use of such things. Unfortunately, accidents still happen. All we can do is educate ourselves and take proper precautions.

I find this sort of argument disingenuous. The purpose of vehicles is transport, the purpose of tobacco/alcohol/chocolate/otherpersonaltreat or vice is pleasure. The purpose of firearms is to injure something. I dont have any problem with strict controls upon something whose sole purpose is to injure.

Yeah, maybe to injure to save your own life or that of your family. So if someone came into your house and was going to kill or hurt you and your family, you would rather just give in than protect yourselves?? Injure, thus protect...

Uh no, you use your mad ninja skills and throwing stars.. DUH! :smile:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    That would be an AMAZING gift to give!! We have at least 3 in our house at all times. I keep mine right above my stove :) I've been asking for a shot gun for years...the pump action ones! I like the sound they make ;)

My bf and I have a mossberg pistol grip pump... I freaking love the sound it makes when I pump that thing. Lol!! I can't shoot it though, I'd end up on my *kitten*. My bf said that if someone breaks in and I absolutely have to use it to put my back up against a wall.

if someone breaks in, you pump that thing and they will be running for the hills. That sound is very distinctive, and frightening, if you're a bad guy, it's the LAST thing you want to hear. Because it very well could be the last thing he hears! LOL
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    Options
    I am in the UK, so the image of guns is completely different here, as in they are illegal, but there is no way in a million years I would ever allow a gun in the house with my children.

Countries with more guns have more gun crime. At least here the teenagers only manage to stab each other.

Sorry, I went all the way to the beginning and saw this.

Is this a joke? Please tell me that it is. Being that firearms are illegal in UK has 0 to do with your crime rate. There are 10x more messed up disgusting acts of violence done in UK. And, hate to burst your gun safety bubble here.. .just because they are illegal, doesn't mean they aren't still there. Example : My friend lives in Shropshire, and they had a raid sweep in there because someone was bringing guns into the country.... sad thing when I tried to find the article to link you to it, there were SO MANY articles about ILLEGAL guns there, that I couldn't find the one that I was specifically referring to. So keep thinking you are in your little bubble of protection... but the rest of us in the real world, are def ready to bear arms.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    That would be an AMAZING gift to give!! We have at least 3 in our house at all times. I keep mine right above my stove :) I've been asking for a shot gun for years...the pump action ones! I like the sound they make ;)
    My bf and I have a mossberg pistol grip pump... I freaking love the sound it makes when I pump that thing. Lol!! I can't shoot it though, I'd end up on my *kitten*. My bf said that if someone breaks in and I absolutely have to use it to put my back up against a wall.
    if someone breaks in, you pump that thing and they will be running for the hills. That sound is very distinctive, and frightening, if you're a bad guy, it's the LAST thing you want to hear. Because it very well could be the last thing he hears! LOL
    Shotguns are best for home protection. Not as much need for precision, in case you're blurry-eyed. :smile:

The pump sound is a good deterrent too.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I am in the UK, so the image of guns is completely different here, as in they are illegal, but there is no way in a million years I would ever allow a gun in the house with my children.

Countries with more guns have more gun crime. At least here the teenagers only manage to stab each other.

Actually, countries with the most gun ownership restrictive laws have the most gun violence. Anti-gun laws only work when law abiding citizens obey them. Criminals don't. Hence why gun violence is so prevalent in Washington D.C. and not such a problem in open carry states like Texas.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    Options
    Shotguns are best for home protection. Not as much need for precision, in case you're blurry-eyed. :smile:

The pump sound is a good deterrent too.

That is EXACTLY the reason why we have our rifle at a lot easier access than our 9MM. You bet your *kitten* when you hear me get ready to shoot that .32, you aren't standing there, your *kitten* is MOVING.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options

And if they have a gun, they now know where you are and you've lost all element of surprise and tactical advantage you once had being in your own home. Racking a shotgun is the wrong move, that's Hollywood.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options

Actually, countries with the most gun ownership restrictive laws have the most gun violence. Anti-gun laws only work when law abiding citizens obey them. Criminals don't. Hence why gun violence is so prevalent in Washington D.C. and not such a problem in open carry states like Texas.
    :happy:
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I'm not for appealing the Second Amendment, or anything to that effect, but no, I would never want a gun in my house. I have 3 kids, and by far more people are accidentally injured by guns than lives saved in deadly intrusions (which would be the only reason we'd need/want one, since I am not and didn't/wouldn't marry a hunter).

I might consider getting a handgun if it was in a fool-proof fingerprint case or something, absolutely not with anything less than that securing it. And I consider myself lucky that DH isn't really interested in guns, so it's a road we haven't had to go down.

I have big mean dogs, and a security system, for home protection. Much more effective. Some people say their dog might "lick someone to death," mine would kill you to death, if you tried to hurt me or my kids.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    If you want good info go to Wikipedia

NO. NO. NO.

Wiki is not reliable for anything. Just sayin'
  • debussyschild
    Options
    For those of you in the U.K. (or other gun restrictive countries/territories) this conversation reminds me of an awesome line by American comedian Robin Williams:

"Now, in England, if you commit a crime, the police don't have a gun and you don't have a gun. So if you commit a crime, it's: 'stop! or I'll say stop again.'"

Here's a link to a segment of his stand-up "Live at the Met" in 1986:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N1Hz2_gdh4
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    Options
    For those of you in the U.K. (or other gun restrictive countries/territories) this conversation reminds me of an awesome line by American comedian Robin Williams:

"Now, in England, if you commit a crime, the police don't have a gun and you don't have a gun. So if you commit a crime, it's: 'stop! or I'll say stop again.'"

Here's a link to a segment of his stand-up "Live at the Met" in 1986:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N1Hz2_gdh4

I :heart: you.
  • debussyschild
    Options
    I believe every household should have a (legal) gun for safety/protection. They're safe as long as they don't fall into the wrong hands.

Believe it or not, guns are about as dangerous as anything ELSE you don't know a damn thing about. If you learn how to operate it, store it, and use it properly and lawfully, you can enjoy having a gun for sport or protection (some people just collect!) without every incurring injury or hurting anyone else. People who don't know how to use guns and criminals are the ones providing us with all the gun-negative statistics.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options

And if they have a gun, they now know where you are and you've lost all element of surprise and tactical advantage you once had being in your own home. Racking a shotgun is the wrong move, that's Hollywood.

I don't need any element of surprise, I want that scared little criminal running as fast as his legs can carry him. It may be portrayed in Hollywood, but it happened to my family, in real life. My mom realized that someone had entered our house, she got the shotgun, CH-CHK! And in seconds, that sucker had LEFT THE BUILDING. Never even laid eyes on whoever it was. Prevention > defense if those are your only 2 choices.
  • missmarquez2u
    Options
    My better half thinks that she needs a hand gun. Quite frankly given her temper I say HELL NO!

LOL.. hubby says the same thing ...
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    Options

I don't need any element of surprise, I want that scared little criminal running as fast as his legs can carry him. It may be portrayed in Hollywood, but it happened to my family, in real life. My mom realized that someone had entered our house, she got the shotgun, CH-CHK! And in seconds, that sucker had LEFT THE BUILDING. Never even laid eyes on whoever it was. Prevention > defense if those are your only 2 choices.

That is exactly why I try and teach my little momma how to at least handle a rifle. She said if it came down to it she would just try and hit them with a gun. I told dad we should get her a sword bayonet for Christmas lol
  • debussyschild
    Options
    I should make the point that I am not anti-gun. I grew up in the countryside around people who shoot. I learned to shoot a rifle at school, and am a good shot, I know a lot of people who farm and hunt and therefore have guns.

What I am absolutely completely against is people having guns for protection, because that clearly does just lead to an arms escalation where everyone has them, and it does lead to more gun crime, and more shootings. I am also against the police carrying guns unless they are a specific gun squad. No one, not even the law, has the right to shoot at another person. Ever. I am completely against anyone being allowed to carry a gun around on them, concealed or not. I strongly believe the only people who should have access to guns are people who need them for their jobs, i.e, army, farmers, and hunters (I am also fundamentally opposed to all hunting, but I do accept that if it must, people may think they need guns for it - personally I'd rather people took on animals in hand to hoof combat and actually proved their worth rather than hiding at a distance like a coward and shooting from miles away with the advantage of technology, there is nothing sporting in that).

Where is your physical proof that legal gun ownership breeds violence??? ILLEGALLY trafficked weapons--they are trafficked illegally because our government has placed ridiculous bans on them--are the ones bought up by criminals. I don't know about you, but when I want to go purchase a gun, I do the legal thing and go through the rigormoral of getting a background check done and what not. I know plenty of people who own private firearms. Most of them are my neighbors and friends. None of us have ever tried to shoot each other, lol. Most of them do hunt, though! Are you against hunting, too? Geez.

I get your point. You're a peace advocate, understandably. But there will always be people who want to hurt others. Why in the HELL am I going to intentionally leave myself defenseless against someone who isn't going to abide by the law and respect my right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?? It's a constitutionally protected right in the U.S. to keep and bear arms. Any state law to the contrary is absolutely B*LLSH*T.
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    Eh, *kitten* happens, life happens and accidents happen.. even with THE best of prevention, care and precautions. Its happens to the best, the smartest and the most prepared. It is just a fact of life. I don't want to make the normal parts of life more dangerous than they need to be.

If they have their heart set on it, get them a gift car to a sporting good store and let them make their own choice.

This is a hot topic and people get their panties in a wad over it. I'm not a big anti-gun person neither am I a firearm lover.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    guns are disgusting. why would you even want it? If you have one that means you are willing to use it.
    With the exception of a police officer or someone with authority, most of the time only redneck and gangsters have guns. why would you want one?

it takes the out the skill for fighting. weak people acting tough

You're statement is silly. So it's ok for my husband, because he's law enforcement, but little ole me female @ 120 something pounds is supposed to go hand to hand combat with a home intruder? rapist? criminal with a grudge against my spouse? Drugged out crazy thief? Do Karate on them? Try to physically match them? haha -I don't think so. That's not called a fight it's self defense. Hopefully I never find myself in that situation, but it's nice to know I can protect myself and my family if I had to.
  • bigdawg62
    bigdawg62 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Just remember, some day there will be 2 kinds of people on earth. Those who own guns and those who work for them.