Guns??

Options

Replies

• treesloth
    treesloth Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    No one has said guns kill people, but there's no denying that guns make it a damn sight easier for one person to kill another.

That depends on the situation. There are lots of situations in which a knife is a much easier, better tool. But, yes, there are lots of cases where the gun makes it easier. For example, a criminal breaking into my mother's house. I want it to be very easy for her to kill that person should it be necessary. I don't want her to have to get within bad-breath distance to deal with him. Honestly, I'd like her to lock her bedroom door, take out the gun, call the police, and wait. But, if necessary, the nice point-and-click interface of the gun makes her defense quite straightforward.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    No of course guns don't kill people...I mean, the army don't have guns to kill people..they use magic dust for that.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    are scary /:

i know someone who was playing around with one and accidentally killed her boyfriend /:

This is what causes gun accidents - ignorance.

Anyone who has taken a basic safety course or proper training knows:

1) ALWAYS assume the gun is loaded.
    2) NEVER point it at anyone unless you intend to shoot them- point it in the safest direction
    3) Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.

Gun cases can be found and opened, safetys can fail. Education saves lives.

Or.....you could ban them, and save yourselves the trouble.

I don't buy the BUT THEN THE CRIMINALS WILL TAKE OVER!!!!!!! hysteria. It hasn't happened in Europe. Unless you count our governments, of course.

I don't think criminals will take over - I just know if you are a law breaking criminal, a gun ban is not going to stop you from getting a gun from another criminal.

My husband has a dangerous job. If ever that danger hits home I have a right to defend us. I hope this never ever happens.
    I have only shot at a safe gun range and will continue to so that I stay safe and comfortable with guns. Plus target practice is enjoyable for me - I like it.

The great thing about living here is it's my choice. My state does make you take and pass a safety course - and get a license with a background check and fingerprints - the works, or you can not buy or carry a gun, and I am all for that. That doesn't stop people from getting and carrying illegal weapons here, but I shouldn't be punished for their bad acts. Most people with guns are law abiding citizens who obey the law and no incidents occur. Of course you only hear about the bad.
  • Being2befit
    Being2befit Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    yeah he has already taken the gun safety classes outside the military...and has a safe to lock it up...ill have a newborn in june kinda nervous to have a gun in the house when he will be in training half way across the country
  • kappyd
    kappyd Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    are scary /:

i know someone who was playing around with one and accidentally killed her boyfriend /:

This is what causes gun accidents - ignorance.

Anyone who has taken a basic safety course or proper training knows:

1) ALWAYS assume the gun is loaded.
    2) NEVER point it at anyone unless you intend to shoot them- point it in the safest direction
    3) Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.

Gun cases can be found and opened, safetys can fail. Education saves lives.

Or.....you could ban them, and save yourselves the trouble.

I don't buy the BUT THEN THE CRIMINALS WILL TAKE OVER!!!!!!! hysteria. It hasn't happened in Europe. Unless you count our governments, of course.

LOL.Finally a bit if humor. That is in fact why Americans are given the right to own guns so that we can force the government out if we feel they no longer belong, but of course that would no longer work that well because they have the big guns, and tanks and planes and bombs.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    CAUTION: Buying any kind, caliber or size firearms item is a very individual choice. The rifle must be geared to the individual's shooting ability, the person's size and their weight. It is very unwise to purchase such an item for another person. You may wish to consider a gift certificate.

No individual should ever lay their hands on any loaded firearm without first having completed a certified firearms safety course.

I'm 74 and completed two firearms safety programs with the 2nd course being at a more advanced level. I only started shooting 18 months ago and am very skilled. :)

Add me to your friends if you have any further questions. :)
  • amh83
    amh83 Posts: 15
    Options
    I learned to hit a target when I was eight, maybe younger. Maybe it is a southern thing, but my father thought that it was important that I learn to defend myself if necessary. I am a single female, living alone, and I feel safe knowing that I have a gun in my home. I was taught from a young age the reasons for owning a gun, and the proper way to utilize them. The men in my life (father, brothers, uncles, cousins) are hunters, and my grandfather restores guns and makes his own bullets. Guns are not bad, you just need to be educated as to how to use them. I would definitely buy a gun as a gift, just make sure that the recipient goes to a hunters safety course, or a gun safety class.
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I still say the law abiding public has the right to own guns for self protection. Just because guns are outlawed doens't mean there will be less crime.

Guns DO NOT provide want and opportunity to commit crime. They are nothing more than a tool which can be used in the commission of a crime.

Same thing as a KNIFE or a SHOVEL, or how about a CAR. They are all used for things other than crimes but the government doesn't see fit to deny the la abiding public the right to use them like they do guns.
  • treesloth
    treesloth Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    yeah he has already taken the gun safety classes outside the military...and has a safe to lock it up...ill have a newborn in june kinda nervous to have a gun in the house when he will be in training half way across the country

FWIW, only a small percentage of newborns are capable of opening a gun safe. :-)
  • trooper605
    trooper605 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    -
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I think its ok to have a gun in the household. Never thought I'd have to need one but nowadays you have to have one. I just bought a 38special 2wks ago and just got back from picking up my pistol license a few hrs ago.

Ugh.....I'm jealous....I love 38 specials...but some where along the line they made them prohibited here....I will never have one *sigh*
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    MY DISCLAIMER: I am not posting anything with regards pro gun or anti gun groups or individuals. I am not interested in debating the subject of gun control due to the fact that my opinion is exactly that, my opinion. I respect and defend the right for
    each person to be able to express their opinion. This also include the pursuit of happiness and yada, yada.......with that being said

Since you asked a personal opinion type question, In my humble opinion, guns are great home protection as long as the following is met:

a. If you have never owned a gun...take a safety class. I'm not talking about uncle Bob who is a sharp shooter, a real qualified
    and licensed trainer. And DO YOUR RESEARCH....

b. Have a safe and secure place for storage...I hate taking burglary reports and people tell us...." I had guns all over the house
    and now they are gone...safe, no I dont have a safe".

c. If you have kids...dont make guns taboo. Let them shoot, then make them clean them. It is much safer if they have
    knowledge about gun safety. (MAKE SURE THEY (KIDS) CANNOT ACCESS THEM....SAFE, TRIGGER LOCKS ECT)

d. You have to be prepared for any confrontation. You don't need your gun taken away from you and used against you. There
    are several books out there about the psychology of deadly force encounters....ie On Killing or On Conbat by Lt Col Dave
    Grossman. There are also several self defense training classes which train in alternative less leathal self defense tactics.
    Also some local law enforcement agencies offer a civilian police academy which include a firearms portion.....note: some
    offer. No....I dont know which ones....

e. You also need to educate yourself with regards to federal as well as your local jurisdiction laws with regards to the use of
    deadly force.

There are several thing folks may not be aware of when it comes to the subject of the use of deadly force in self defense. Hopefully this information was not to confusing and was somewhat helpful...... Good luck and no matter what you decide, be safe.

But yes...if someone would like a gun, you should buy. As long as the above is being met.....
    So I have done my best to sort through all the anti/pro arguments that seem to flare up every time a firearm post comes along. Here is my two cents, I own several firearms and take a pro firearm stance. I believe that the purchase of a firearm is like that of the purchase of shoes, very personal and should be done by the person who is the primary user so that the fit is right. I have joked with my wife that I wanted her to buy me another gun but would not really strongly encourage her to do so. If on the other hand the requester was very specific about what they wanted then do it but make sure you are following all laws and regulations on the purchase of said firearm. Are they of legal age, can they legally own a firearm.. also remember you name will be for the life of the firearm, associated with it.
    You are going to have to fill out a 4473 {gun purchase record}, you will be asked if you plan to transfer control of the firearm to another person. There will be a background check done on you by the dealer and this can take anywhere from 15 minutes to a week.
  • themurph8910
    Options
    I say go for it! I have a hand gun my husband has 2 and not the mention the number of rifles and shots guns in the house. But my husband is also a SWAT officer so that might be one of the reasons why we own so many.
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    When I saw guns...I thought you meant of the Anchorman variety hahahahahaha!!!! Welcome to the gun show people :)
  • jiggs31
    jiggs31 Posts: 117
    Options
    I live in the UK and I have both my firearms and shotgun licences.

In the UK you have to keep them locked away in a gun cabinet and only the licence owner has the keys.
    Therefore they are as safe as you allow them to be.
    Mine is only ever out when I am going to the club and no child could ever get their hands on my keys.

I am a member of a firearms club and shoot as a sport. No killing animals - just shoot targets for fun.

I wouldn't buy someone a gun as a present, except if it was for my other half then we would buy it together.
    Guns are personal things, if you are serious about your shooting they have to fit you right, just in the same way as you would be fitted for a suit.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    woah, culture clash

unthinkable
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK and have been raised around guns, my dad has had a shot gun licence ever since I can remember.
    They have always been kept secure and I was taught how dangerous they are and how to be responsible around them. Ammo shouldn't be kept in the same place as the guns, and your whole household should be educated about them!
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Sooo on my xmas lists I got this year, I got a request to buy a riffle gun for our household this year!!

You'll shoot your eye out.
    -wtk

316355152_e19b815bcd3.jpg

Haha, thank you for that memory! We watched that movie the first Christmas that my family met my future husband. The fact that everyone shared the humour was considered a very good sign.
  • hoppinglark
    hoppinglark Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It would be difficult to hunt without a rifle or shotgun.

It's also much easier to fight back against crime when you are armed.

Last time I ran the numbers most firearms deaths were white men comitting suicide.
    Then followed by an assortment of men being killed in criminal acts.
    Not really a problem
    l_a6e4f056f515320cb004a7d2cc7dd873.gif