Guns??

Options

Replies

• Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I'm a lifetime NRA benefactor member. I'm licensed to carry a concealed firearm. I own tens of guns, practice responsible gun safety, handling, and am thankful to have never had to use one in self defense.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    double.
  • anitam1987
    anitam1987 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    That's a great gift idea. We are going to the gun show this weekend ourselves to do some Christmas shopping!
  • lizgreenhill
    Options
    as long as you and whomever else lives in the home is knowledgable about guns there is absolutely nothing wrong with having guns in the home and as long as they are locked up or put up where kids cant get to them. We have 5 in our home 1 is actually a hand gun that we keep out for personal safetly at all times.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    It is really so sad that all you people feel you need to harbour a gun (or 2 or 3 of different types) and so sad that you need to lock your guns away or teach your children to handle a gun.

It is even more depressing that you would consider giving a gun as a gift.

The thing is that society has made it all acceptable and that crime has got to such a level that most of you think that it is a good gift and if you teach your kids to use a gun then everything is OK.

The thing is these gun toting people are related to somebody somewhere and could be your kids. So maybe (apart from the odd lunatic) we should be taking a bit more care with our kids and teaching then that guns are a bad thing????

Guns are not a bad thing, bad people with guns are bad. Yes I do feel the need to own several different types of guns not only for protection but as a hobby, they are fun to target shoot with. Yes children do need to be taught gun safety and know it is not ok to play with a firearm.

BTW: I am one of these "gun toting lunatics" you speak of and can assure you I have completed a firearm safety course and a gun carry permit class. It is my right to carry one for personal protection from the real lunatics.

And if someone gave me one as a gift I would be very happy and would enjoy target shooting with it. Not going to go waving it around or anything crazy like that.
  • Denimgirl
    Denimgirl Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I would love a gun as a gift! I have my conceal carry license and would love to have a smaller gun to carry on my person or in my purse.

I think a gun is a great gift. When I'm thinking about giving a gift that might be iffy, I try to put my own feelings out of the way and think about the person. I definitely would not give a gun to someone who had a history that is direct opposition of the responsibility of owning a gun.
  • trooper605
    trooper605 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bump
  • treesloth
    treesloth Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    OP, a couple of questions...

1) Are there kids around that are not familiar with guns?
    2) What is the intended purpose of the gun? Defense? Hunting? Training the kids? Dealing with cats?
    I would love a gun as a gift! I have my conceal carry license and would love to have a smaller gun to carry on my person or in my purse.

May I suggest looking at both the Ruger LCP and the Kel-Tec PF-9? The .380 in the Ruger is no longer the liability it used to be, and the PF-9 can use full-house 9mm ammo. Neither is an adequate full-size defense caliber, but as a small or secondary carry weapon, both serve well.
    I said guns cause more GUN CRIME, which is not up for debate, surely?

On the contrary, guns do not cause more gun crime, any more than the availability of a prostitute *causes* a person to stray from their spouse. They simply afford an opportunity to a person so inclined. Now, we can reasonably ask whether the person who chose to use a gun would have used something else to commit the crime instead had the gun not been available. Given the shifts in tools in places where guns are taken away, such as Britain, it's not unreasonable to suppose so.
    It is really so sad...

Do you have anything to offer besides hand-wringing "so sad" and "depressing"? Anything at all? See, to people that have lived both ways-- with and without access to firearms-- the situation is often the reverse. It's not sad at all. It's a great skill to have and teach. So, try this: Go buy a gun. Learn to use it. You'll quickly discover that it's not a thing to fear. A gun is not a bad thing. It answers to you.

It has nothing to do with crime having "reached such a level". If anything, gun ownership and competence per capita has declined over the last several decades. My learning to use them was in no way connected to crime, either commission or defense against. I only learned situational self-defense shooting later, and I honestly doubt I'll ever have to apply it, but I sure like knowing I could if the worst should happen. Try that yourself. See if your attitude changes. And, if it doesn't, at least you'll know of what you speak.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    applause-funny-animated-gifs_200907.gif
    OP, a couple of questions...

1) Are there kids around that are not familiar with guns?
    2) What is the intended purpose of the gun? Defense? Hunting? Training the kids? Dealing with cats?

May I suggest looking at both the Ruger LCP and the Kel-Tec PF-9? The .380 in the Ruger is no longer the liability it used to be, and the PF-9 can use full-house 9mm ammo. Neither is an adequate full-size defense caliber, but as a small or secondary carry weapon, both serve well.
    I said guns cause more GUN CRIME, which is not up for debate, surely?

On the contrary, guns do not cause more gun crime, any more than the availability of a prostitute *causes* a person to stray from their spouse. They simply afford an opportunity to a person so inclined. Now, we can reasonably ask whether the person who chose to use a gun would have used something else to commit the crime instead had the gun not been available. Given the shifts in tools in places where guns are taken away, such as Britain, it's not unreasonable to suppose so.
    It is really so sad...

Do you have anything to offer besides hand-wringing "so sad" and "depressing"? Anything at all? See, to people that have lived both ways-- with and without access to firearms-- the situation is often the reverse. It's not sad at all. It's a great skill to have and teach. So, try this: Go buy a gun. Learn to use it. You'll quickly discover that it's not a thing to fear. A gun is not a bad thing. It answers to you.

It has nothing to do with crime having "reached such a level". If anything, gun ownership and competence per capita has declined over the last several decades. My learning to use them was in no way connected to crime, either commission or defense against. I only learned situational self-defense shooting later, and I honestly doubt I'll ever have to apply it, but I sure like knowing I could if the worst should happen. Try that yourself. See if your attitude changes. And, if it doesn't, at least you'll know of what you speak.
  • trooper605
    trooper605 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It is really so sad that all you people feel you need to harbour a gun (or 2 or 3 of different types) and so sad that you need to lock your guns away or teach your children to handle a gun.

It is even more depressing that you would consider giving a gun as a gift.

The thing is that society has made it all acceptable and that crime has got to such a level that most of you think that it is a good gift and if you teach your kids to use a gun then everything is OK.

The thing is these gun toting people are related to somebody somewhere and could be your kids. So maybe (apart from the odd lunatic) we should be taking a bit more care with our kids and teaching then that guns are a bad thing????
  • kappyd
    kappyd Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am also from the UK, cultural differences and all that, so I cant really comment on that part of the question (personally wouldn't each to their own). But isn't a gun more like a tool, like getting someone an iron or a frying pan for christmas? I know lots of people who would have a problem with recieving a 'tool-esque' thing for christmas. but then, if they asked for it, i dont see any problem. But yeah, if its a gun, make sure of the safety elements, get taught to actually use it (it cant protect you if you dont know how to use it, bit of a chocolate teapot). and keep far away from kids.

While you are right, that a gun is a tool, it is a lot more to some in the US. I am a gun person and own several. When I was in law enforcement I looked at my handgun as a tool of the trade and I really didn't care what it looked like as long as it worked well. Same as when I was in the army. But my hunting weapons and target guns are for entertainment and I like them to look and work well, so I would look at this more as someone who likes a fancy car over just a car or as a flashy bowling ball or set of golf clubs then a hammer or iron. My home protection guns, I don't care what they look like as long as they are the most effective tools in the house. As far as a Christmas gift, if that is what the person is asking for and you can afford it, I say go for it and they will love it. Just make sure what kind, brand, caliber and the like the person is asking for because each one is for a different thing. If he was in the army then he was trained in gun safety but it never hurts to take a course and if you are nervous around guns then maybe it would be fun for you to take the course with them. You never know maybe you will be asking for your own gun next Christmas.

As far as other people from the UK posting something when they can't own one. I am an American and I believe in all of our God given rights, to include the freedom of speech. You were all asked for your opinion and it is always welcome on anything I post.

People fall into three groups; sheep, wolves or sheepdog. I have worn the green army uniform, the brown deputy sheriff uniform and the blue city police officer uniform. I like to think that I am a sheepdog and have no problem protecting the sheep from the wolves. I also have no problem if someone wants to live as a sheep and ask the sheepdog to protect them. Not everyone is cut out to be a sheepdog and there is nothing wrong with being a sheep. I just prefer to protect myself and others in case there are no other sheepdogs around when the wolves come a calling.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    are scary /:

i know someone who was playing around with one and accidentally killed her boyfriend /:

I am sorry that happened but no one should ever be "playing around" with a firearm that is really dumb.

And there are a lot a LOT of dumb people out there. There are also a lot of people who get into drunken arguments and it is a lot easier to kill someone in the heat of the moment with a gun than just about anything else. The girl may have been dumb, but surely you can see that it is horrific and in no way the boyfriend's fault, and yet he paid with his life for the fact someone had a gun on hand.
  • fteale
    Options
    are scary /:

i know someone who was playing around with one and accidentally killed her boyfriend /:

This is what causes gun accidents - ignorance.

Anyone who has taken a basic safety course or proper training knows:

1) ALWAYS assume the gun is loaded.
    2) NEVER point it at anyone unless you intend to shoot them- point it in the safest direction
    3) Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.

Gun cases can be found and opened, safetys can fail. Education saves lives.

Or.....you could ban them, and save yourselves the trouble.

I don't buy the BUT THEN THE CRIMINALS WILL TAKE OVER!!!!!!! hysteria. It hasn't happened in Europe. Unless you count our governments, of course.
  • treesloth
    Options
    BTW: I am one of these "gun toting lunatics" you speak of and can assure you I have completed a firearm safety course and a gun carry permit class. It is my right to carry one for personal protection from the real lunatics.

In order for me to get my CFP, I had to pass independent state and federal background checks. Some police officers don't have to pass the federal check around here.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    5313.gif
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    IF.....

Guns kill people.

THEN....

Spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
  • treesloth
    Options
    Or.....you could ban them, and save yourselves the trouble.

I don't buy the BUT THEN THE CRIMINALS WILL TAKE OVER!!!!!!! hysteria. It hasn't happened in Europe. Unless you count our governments, of course.

It's not a question of criminals "tak(ing) over", although I don't know who you're responding to in saying that. That's a societal, broad-ranging question. I'm far more interested in the immediate, one-on-one case. Does the person confronted by a violent ex-spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend have an effective means of self-defense? The police aren't-- they simply can't be there quickly enough. The same is true of relatives and friends. A lone dead woman, for example, isn't a case of criminals "tak(ing) over", but it sure is a sad case that could have had a very different outcome had she had an effective means of defense.
  • fteale
    Options
    IF.....

Guns kill people.

THEN....

Spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

No one has said guns kill people, but there's no denying that guns make it a damn sight easier for one person to kill another.
  • lisaloo85
    Options
    There is nothing to be afraid of with guns! Guns are safe, UNLESS you have a stupid person or a criminal around!

If you do get a gun for someone in your household, there are many gun-safe classes available all over the country. TEACH those around you how to use it, how to store it, how to be safe with it.

Nothing to fear...............

I agree wit this!!
  • sheeksheek21
    Options
    I think its ok to have a gun in the household. Never thought I'd have to need one but nowadays you have to have one. I just bought a 38special 2wks ago and just got back from picking up my pistol license a few hrs ago.