Guns??

Options

Replies

• TigersFanIndy34
    Options
    I would not personally buy a gun as a gift for someone, but that's just my personal comfort level. I do not want guns in my house. I grew up in a home with guns, my Dad took me out on the farm and taught me to shoot handguns, rifles, etc. So it's not like I was not around them. I just simply do not want them in my home at this time.

But the question is not about me, it's about OP. OP I would take into consideration whether the people in the home are already familiar with safety, proper handling, etc. I would consider whether everyone would be comfortable having a firearm in the home and handling it if necessary. And I would consider the reason why it's been requested. I'd think on it and then I would decide.

Agree here. Like if the person on the list is former murderer whose really ticked at his or her spouse maybe you shouldn't buy one ;) You know - depends on who - are they people who already have guns and are safe around them etc... I'd probably just send cash - then they can buy their own gun. Everyone loves cash.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Sooo on my xmas lists I got this year, I got a request to buy a riffle gun for our household this year!!

You'll shoot your eye out.
    -wtk

316355152_e19b815bcd3.jpg

LOL This cracks me up
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i thought this thread was going to be about the gun show. or *a* gun show. any gun show. *flexes biceps*
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    As long as the plan is not to point it in my direction, no problem.
    Give people what they want if your intention is to give a pleasing gift and the person is of age or his folks don't mind.
  • 3GKnight
    3GKnight Posts: 203
    Options
    People keep talking about having the guns locked up and separate from the ammunition. The problem with that is owners and parents think that's enough.

No matter how you store your weapons, you need to teach people (kids for the most part) what to do or not to do with them. My dad's teaching was, "leave it alone or I'll spank you" along with showing me what they do. After I saw that groundhog digging a hole by the power pole get very dead, I never even thought about playing with them.
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options

Since the English and Canadians aren't allowed the freedom to own a gun, then the OPs question shouldn't apply to them, since you have no choice in the matter.

Canadians can own guns!!! LOL I have a cabinet full of them!!!!

I personally think that a gun is a great gift provided everyone in the house hold is taught how to use it safely. I love guns.....if you are worried about children. You could purchase trigger locks to lock the trigger so you can't shoot it. Depending on the type of rifle, you could take the bolt out....etc.

Or better yet..you could purchase a cabinet to lock it up in, plus put a trigger lock on if you really want to be safe.....there are so many safety measures you could take to ensure nothing happens.

You will have to educate your children about guns as well. That is very important.

If you would like more information.....send me a PM...I'd be happy to give you suggestions. Don't let the whole crime talk sway you on your decision.....Crime is everywhere.......guns don't kill people....people kill people.....they also stab with knives, beat with bats, and strangle with bare hands......if crimes an issue....people should start getting their hands chopped off!!! LOL

Here's something to lighten up the mood!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC03hmS1Brk

Good luck!
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Since the English and Canadians aren't allowed the freedom to own a gun, then the OPs question shouldn't apply to them, since you have no choice in the matter.

Really? I am Canadian and there are guns in my uncles house. all of which are licensed and have been used. I personally do not have a gun, nor do I want one as I have no reason to have them but one of my good friends goes to a range 2 - 3 times a week, she owns her own gun. I do not see how we are not allowed the freedom to own a gun, we do not carry guns in our purses but we can own them.

To the OP, I believe as long as everyone is properly trained in how to handle them safetly guns are just fine.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    1) Guns are really fun to shoot. I love a day at the range.
    2) Some guns have a trigger lock so guests (read: children) can't get into too much trouble, assuming the gun is not safely locked up.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    393691_286644221388468_218457121540512_924990_556238428_n.jpg
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

^This. Laws against guns just prevent the people who dont commit the crimes from getting them. Criminals will always find a way to get what they want, regardless of laws. If you think guns cause crime.......i dunno what to even say about that. Guns cause crime like flies cause trash /facepalm

The only person who has said that guns cause more crime was someone arguing for them and misquoting.

I said guns cause more GUN CRIME, which is not up for debate, surely?
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    People keep talking about having the guns locked up and separate from the ammunition. The problem with that is owners and parents think that's enough.

No matter how you store your weapons, you need to teach people (kids for the most part) what to do or not to do with them. My dad's teaching was, "leave it alone or I'll spank you" along with showing me what they do. After I saw that groundhog digging a hole by the power pole get very dead, I never even thought about playing with them.

This!

I grew up in an age of no gun safes, trigger locks or the like. My dad had a closet full of guns, I learned to shoot when I was 4 (we lived way out in the country). He did that so I would understand what a gun was and so I would be cautious. Hell we weren't even allowed to play with toy squirt guns.

Quite frankly, I was more afraid of what my dad would do if I was caught monkeying around with his guns.

Gun safety is more than just what you may have at home. Even if you don't own a gun, if you have children you should talk to them about gun safety and possible scenarios (such as "Show & Tell" at a friends house).
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

This!

I grew up in an age of no gun safes, trigger locks or the like. My dad had a closet full of guns, I learned to shoot when I was 4 (we lived way out in the country). He did that so I would understand what a gun was and so I would be cautious. Hell we weren't even allowed to play with toy squirt guns.

Quite frankly, I was more afraid of what my dad would do if I was caught monkeying around with his guns.

Gun safety is more than just what you may have at home. Even if you don't own a gun, if you have children you should talk to them about gun safety and possible scenarios (such as "Show & Tell" at a friends house).

I consider guns and pools to be the same threat. Just because I don't have a pool, doesn't mean my child won't be at someone's house that does. So either I ban my child from going to their friends' houses or I teach my child how to swim.

Education will always override fear and ignorance.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

^This. Laws against guns just prevent the people who dont commit the crimes from getting them. Criminals will always find a way to get what they want, regardless of laws. If you think guns cause crime.......i dunno what to even say about that. Guns cause crime like flies cause trash /facepalm

The only person who has said that guns cause more crime was someone arguing for them and misquoting.

I said guns cause more GUN CRIME, which is not up for debate, surely?

Guns don't cause "gun crime". People cause ALL crimes - knife, gun, assault, theft, etc.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

This!

I consider guns and pools to be the same threat. Just because I don't have a pool, doesn't mean my child won't be at someone's house that doesn't. So either I ban my child from going to their friends' houses or I teach my child how to swim.

Education will always override fear and ignorance.

:flowerforyou:
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem in fact I own a 9MM :)
  • trooper605
    trooper605 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    MY DISCLAIMER: I am not posting anything with regards pro gun or anti gun groups or individuals. I am not interested in debating the subject of gun control due to the fact that my opinion is exactly that, my opinion. I respect and defend the right for
    each person to be able to express their opinion. This also include the pursuit of happiness and yada, yada.......with that being said

Since you asked a personal opinion type question, In my humble opinion, guns are great home protection as long as the following is met:

a. If you have never owned a gun...take a safety class. I'm not talking about uncle Bob who is a sharp shooter, a real qualified
    and licensed trainer. And DO YOUR RESEARCH....

b. Have a safe and secure place for storage...I hate taking burglary reports and people tell us...." I had guns all over the house
    and now they are gone...safe, no I dont have a safe".

c. If you have kids...dont make guns taboo. Let them shoot, then make them clean them. It is much safer if they have
    knowledge about gun safety. (MAKE SURE THEY (KIDS) CANNOT ACCESS THEM....SAFE, TRIGGER LOCKS ECT)

d. You have to be prepared for any confrontation. You don't need your gun taken away from you and used against you. There
    are several books out there about the psychology of deadly force encounters....ie On Killing or On Conbat by Lt Col Dave
    Grossman. There are also several self defense training classes which train in alternative less leathal self defense tactics.
    Also some local law enforcement agencies offer a civilian police academy which include a firearms portion.....note: some
    offer. No....I dont know which ones....

e. You also need to educate yourself with regards to federal as well as your local jurisdiction laws with regards to the use of
    deadly force.

There are several thing folks may not be aware of when it comes to the subject of the use of deadly force in self defense. Hopefully this information was not to confusing and was somewhat helpful...... Good luck and no matter what you decide, be safe.

But yes...if someone would like a gun, you should buy. As long as the above is being met.....
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    In the UK many years ago we stopped capital punishment ie hanging/execution in the USA there are only some states that agree with lethal injection I am pretty sure the gas chamber is a thing of the past?

what I am trying to say is once you have killed somebody, you cannot take it back???

Is your gun for protection/the big I AM/ killing somebody?

I live in the UK and feel no need to have a gun in the home and I would certainly not want to gift a gun to someone!
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I have guns, but I raised my son teaching him gun safety, and we have never had a problem.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Sooo on my xmas lists I got this year, I got a request to buy a riffle gun for our household this year!! what are your thoughts about guns in the house?? I dont have problems with guns I just dont know if that would be a good gift to give someone!

Well, if they requested a gun, and you don't have strong feelings against one, I don't see the problem.

My thoughts on guns in the house is I don't want one in mine. I realize many children grow up with guns in the home, have been taught safety, rules, how to shoot them, etc. I also know a senior at our school who had a party at his house, alcholol was involved, and he brought a gun out. Alcohol impaired his judgment and he ended up in jail and his best friend ended up shot in the head. My kids know the rules in our home, but that doesn't mean they always follow them. I don't knock anyone else's rules, though.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    Luckily I live in a country that is safe enough and the people secure enough to not feel the fear and need to own deadly weapons in my home to protect myself. I feel very lucky. The only people that need guns are soldiers. Our police don't routinely carry them and I don't consider widespread gun ownership as being a freedom, I think it is scary and disturbing.

So in answer to the question, I think a gun is NOT a good present, I think a gun is not a good thing in anyway. I think guns are for shooting things, they can and are used to kill and injure people and animals. This is not something that makes a suitable Christmas gift.