ChaLeaners Unite!!

Options

Replies

• FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options
    Totally bummed.... but not unexpected.
    I'm on my 2nd week of CheLEAN and have ended up gaining 3lbs. :frown:
    Of course I am not TOTALLY surprised, my food choices have been insane.

However, while huffing and puffing through Burn Circuit 1 today.... I think it finally clicked when Chalene was talking about feeding your body like an athlete. When I think athlete, I think of the guys who wolfed down whatever they wanted cause they'd burn it off.... BUT if i think of a TRUE athlete who's being paid to be in peak condition.... that's a different ball game!
    Diet has ALWAYS been where I struggle. I can work out for 2 hours a day but then eat "normal"... Usually it's not bad.... but "normal" for me is WAY high in carbs and sodium!

So, I am going to try to clean it up... why wait for school to get over? I mean, there may be a few instances where I indulge, but why not clean up the OVERALL diet now!

Also, if anyone has any great was to make awesome Whey Protein shakes (I have the BB chocolate whey), please, let me know.... Since that is gonna be my breakfasts, especially on weekends.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Totally bummed.... but not unexpected.
    I'm on my 2nd week of CheLEAN and have ended up gaining 3lbs. :frown:
    Of course I am not TOTALLY surprised, my food choices have been insane.

However, while huffing and puffing through Burn Circuit 1 today.... I think it finally clicked when Chalene was talking about feeding your body like an athlete. When I think athlete, I think of the guys who wolfed down whatever they wanted cause they'd burn it off.... BUT if i think of a TRUE athlete who's being paid to be in peak condition.... that's a different ball game!
    Diet has ALWAYS been where I struggle. I can work out for 2 hours a day but then eat "normal"... Usually it's not bad.... but "normal" for me is WAY high in carbs and sodium!

So, I am going to try to clean it up... why wait for school to get over? I mean, there may be a few instances where I indulge, but why not clean up the OVERALL diet now!

Also, if anyone has any great was to make awesome Whey Protein shakes (I have the BB chocolate whey), please, let me know.... Since that is gonna be my breakfasts, especially on weekends.

Nutrition is about 70-80% of the equation. True athletes are very careful about what they eat. Unfortunately, you can't just eat whatever you want and expect to look like an athlete. Even when training for a half marathon I can't just indulge in whatever I want. :grumble: Let me know how I can help!!

Jess
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Burn Circuit #3 and Ab Ripper X done for me y'day. Also got in a 5 mile run early. Glad I did because it's rainy and yucky here today!!

Feeling a nice soreness through the shoulders today... Chalene really knows how to work those shoulders!! :bigsmile:

Jess
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Question....

I am in my second week of ChaLEAN Extreme, I haven't been able to follow the diet plan with my crazy schedule, but with summer rapidly approaching I am hoping to add that element.

My question is... I am ALWAYS hungry now! Is that normal?
    I am set at 1500 cals on this site and usually eat back a bit of my exercise calories...
    However, I have noticed that even on days I don't work out I am incredibly munchy!
    Also, I need some tips on healthy, easy to store in my office type snaks. I have almonds and a few other (overly processed) snacks.... but I usually skip snacks.... which isnt' good.

How much protein are you eating?? I find that if I'm too high in carbs then I'm hungry. And healthy snacks will help also. I like Greek yogurt w/ fruit and high fiber cereal, cottage cheese, an apple w/ natural PB, some good carbs w/ protein to keep you full. If you have a fridge you can keep those things around. Or even a healthy sandwich- high fiber bread or tortilla w/ PB or some lean meat and low-fat cheese.

And I never go below 1,500 cals, I usually keep my cals around 1,700- 1,800 cals. More when I run 5+ miles. :wink:
  • FluffnStuff
    Options
    Question....

I am in my second week of ChaLEAN Extreme, I haven't been able to follow the diet plan with my crazy schedule, but with summer rapidly approaching I am hoping to add that element.

My question is... I am ALWAYS hungry now! Is that normal?
    I am set at 1500 cals on this site and usually eat back a bit of my exercise calories...
    However, I have noticed that even on days I don't work out I am incredibly munchy!
    Also, I need some tips on healthy, easy to store in my office type snaks. I have almonds and a few other (overly processed) snacks.... but I usually skip snacks.... which isnt' good.

How much protein are you eating?? I find that if I'm too high in carbs then I'm hungry. And healthy snacks will help also. I like Greek yogurt w/ fruit and high fiber cereal, cottage cheese, an apple w/ natural PB, some good carbs w/ protein to keep you full. If you have a fridge you can keep those things around. Or even a healthy sandwich- high fiber bread or tortilla w/ PB or some lean meat and low-fat cheese.

And I never go below 1,500 cals, I usually keep my cals around 1,700- 1,800 cals. More when I run 5+ miles. :wink:

I am always under in protein. I am trying to increase it more and cut back a bit on carbs (more the refined ones). I'll add those items to my grocery list. Diet is my struggle, but I am hoping to clean it up this week enough to start seeing some positive results.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Push 3 this morning, good workout. I REALLY need heavier weights. :grumble: Also, I did a walk/run intervals outdoor for 6 miles. I am all pumped up!! :laugh:

Brile, I too used to struggle with my diet. Exercise has never been a problem for me. In the past I had the mentality that I could anything I wanted because I exercised. Thanks to this site, counting calories and the advice and motivation of everyone here I have been able to change my eating habits. I am not saying it is perfect 100% of the time but it is pretty good. I tend to derail from my goog habits when I am in social situations but even then I try to monitor my portions and choose healthier foods. Don't look at it as being on a diet because diets are temporary. Choose healthier versions of your favorite foods, control portions, and you will do just fine. Try to always include a good ratio of complex carbs and lean protein in all your meals including your snacks so you can meet your protein requirements. For example when I eat my oatmeal now I add a half scoop of whey protein when it is cooked. That way I increase the protein for that meal. Otherwise it would be really high in carbs only. Just a suggestion.

Ok, gang, off to Vegas with my husband tomorrow morning until Thu night so you will not hear from me until Friday or so. I intend to pick up on 2nd wk of push phase this coming weekend. I hope I can resist the buffets :noway: :laugh: Lots of walking!!!! Take care!! :flowerforyou:
  • purple120
    purple120 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies, well I couldnt wait to start on the 1st so today was my first day. I ran 3 miles and then did burn circuit 1. I got over a 340 calorie burn with the run and over 220 calorie burn with burn circuit 1. I'm definitely going to have to incorporate more cardio with Chalean, but that's ok dont mind that at all since the workouts are shorter. I have a question about the last two days of the the month, noticed that they end on the beginning of the last week, what about the other days? Do I start right way with the second month, which will change my rest days? Any ideas.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Hello ladies, well I couldnt wait to start on the 1st so today was my first day. I ran 3 miles and then did burn circuit 1. I got over a 340 calorie burn with the run and over 220 calorie burn with burn circuit 1. I'm definitely going to have to incorporate more cardio with Chalean, but that's ok dont mind that at all since the workouts are shorter. I have a question about the last two days of the the month, noticed that they end on the beginning of the last week, what about the other days? Do I start right way with the second month, which will change my rest days? Any ideas.

That's what I love about the workouts too. They're shorter than P90X and I've been able to do my triathlon training along w/ it w/out getting over trained. I always add in a run on day 2 and sometimes get in some extra biking during the week also.

I just keep going at the end of the phase. Mondays have always been my day 1, so I just did 4 weeks of Burn, then started the Lean on Monday again.

Keep it up!!

Jess
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Push 3 this morning, good workout. I REALLY need heavier weights. :grumble: Also, I did a walk/run intervals outdoor for 6 miles. I am all pumped up!! :laugh:

Brile, I too used to struggle with my diet. Exercise has never been a problem for me. In the past I had the mentality that I could anything I wanted because I exercised. Thanks to this site, counting calories and the advice and motivation of everyone here I have been able to change my eating habits. I am not saying it is perfect 100% of the time but it is pretty good. I tend to derail from my goog habits when I am in social situations but even then I try to monitor my portions and choose healthier foods. Don't look at it as being on a diet because diets are temporary. Choose healthier versions of your favorite foods, control portions, and you will do just fine. Try to always include a good ratio of complex carbs and lean protein in all your meals including your snacks so you can meet your protein requirements. For example when I eat my oatmeal now I add a half scoop of whey protein when it is cooked. That way I increase the protein for that meal. Otherwise it would be really high in carbs only. Just a suggestion.

Ok, gang, off to Vegas with my husband tomorrow morning until Thu night so you will not hear from me until Friday or so. I intend to pick up on 2nd wk of push phase this coming weekend. I hope I can resist the buffets :noway: :laugh: Lots of walking!!!! Take care!! :flowerforyou:

Hope you are having fun in Vegas!!

I do the same thing as Annette, I add a 1/2 scoop of chocolate protein powder to my oatmeal to add some protein & 1 tablespoon of Naturally More PB. Yummy!!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Well, I did end up getting in Burn Circuit #3 on Friday afternoon and did Burn it Off on Sat morning. Then went to an indoor water park/ hotel w/ the family and got in exercise in the pool and up & down the water slide stairs. :bigsmile: I used the hotel elliptical Sunday morning also.

Back to routine y'day w/ Burn #1 and did some run/ walking w/ my dh last night. Today is my run/ swim day at the Y.

Keep it up!!

Jess
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,398 Member
    Options
    Burn One yesterday for me. Upped some weights again :happy:

I'm ready the suggestions on adding protein to the diet with interest. I know I need to clean up my diet to really see the results I'm desiring.

Any particular suggestions on a good protein powder?
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Burn One yesterday for me. Upped some weights again :happy:

I'm ready the suggestions on adding protein to the diet with interest. I know I need to clean up my diet to really see the results I'm desiring.

Any particular suggestions on a good protein powder?

Good for you!! I like the Designer Whey. It's pretty cheap, you can get it at Meijer or Kroger for around $12.99. It comes in chocolate, french vanilla, strawberry, etc. I add 1/2 - 1 scoop to my cooked oatmeal. You can also make a smoothie w/ some fruit and milk if you want. Yum!

I'm off to do Burn #2!! :wink:
  • FluffnStuff
    Options
    Concerned....
    Alright, I am in week 3 of Burn.... but I have never REALLY felt sore.
    I use Power blocks and am using a challenging weight.... it's tough for me to make it to 10 sometimes.... but the next day.... nothin...no aches. I am getting a good sweat going every workout too.
    Is that okay? Is my form off? Should I go heavier even if it means I can't hit 10?

To top it off...I am sick... but I am not sure if it's a cold or allergies.... can you get allergies in your throat??? Cruchy foods are a no go... not even salad... Chili is a weird breakfast... in case anyone was wondering. :laugh:
  • purple120
    Options
    It was my rest day yesterday, but I ran for 30 minutes and did 30 minutes of ellipitical, had 525 calorie burn. Looking forward to my second workout tonite, along with a 30 mintue run.

BRILE - I did P90X before starting this program, I realized that I didn't do 100% on my first workout. My form was off, instead of using my back muscles I used my arms to bring up the weights during the posterior flys. I didn't get sore at all, so tonight I'll really be concentrating on my form and not rushing through the workout. It's a new type of workout and the movements are a little akward at first, but my goal tonite is to focus on the muscle being used.

TeachNRun - I drink EAS protien powder, it's less expensive if I get it at my local SAMS instead of GNC. And as Jess said I make it into a smoothie just add ice and water or sometimes I add frozen strawberries. If I want to make it more of a meal I add oatmeal and it's very filling. I've also heard of people adding peanut butter to their protien shakes. You might want to try Pure Protein bars, I eat them every now and then depending on how much protien I need to add to my daily intake.

Have a great workout:flowerforyou:
  • 515TeachNRun
    Options
    So how many grams of protein do you ladies strive for each day?

I did Burn #2 today. I struggled through my run last night and then I struggled this morning. GRR!
    I had planned to run tonight, but instead I came home from work and took a one hour nap. I am trying to hydrate and rest tonight, with the plan of kickin' booty tomorrow!
  • purple120
    Options
    Yesterday, I ran for 30 min. then did Burn circuit 2. Boy did I have a hard time completing this, I think I was a little ambitious with my weight, had to stop and switch out weights. Good thing I'm writing this down, hopefully next workout will do better. Had a busy day yesterday, my youngest daughter got her certificate from middle school, but they call it graduating from middle school.:huh: They also had they're end of school dance, but they call it a "prom". Trying to grow up to soon, I say. Needless to say I didn't get to workout until 8pm and finished a little after 9pm. I was completely worn out and had no problem falling asleep. Tonight Burn circuit 3 along with 30 minute run.

I try to eat about 130 grams of protien, but I weigh more. I've read in other posts your protien intake should be .9 per pound of your body weight.

Jess do you do any ARX with this workout and if so when do you do it? I feel like I need to works my abs a little more.
  • 515TeachNRun
    Options
    Thanks for the protein suggestion.

Burn 3 for me. I'd like to get a run in after school, but it will have to be short. I have 12 miles scheduled for tomorrow. Last long run before my 20K next Saturday :happy:

I've been struggling all week with my workouts. My body is very tired right now. The end of the school year does this.
  • 515TeachNRun
    Options
    Evidently my brain is tired too. Didn't see the decimal before the 9-imagine my surprise that I needed over 1200 grams of protein :noway: :tongue:
    (and wow, that's a lot more that the automatically suggested 45!)
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!!! Back from my vacation and ready to re-start my workouts. I had a wonderful time!!!

I did push 1 (wk 2), extreme abs and fat blaster this morning. I increased my weights for some exercises and failed at 6 and 7 for a couple of them. I really need to get heavier weights for lower body exercises and overhead triceps. :noway:

Brile, I have not been sore, not even once, doing CX. At first, like you, I was concerned that I was doing something wrong. But I know I am pushing myself 100%, I feel the burn when I am doing it and afterwards. Not all bodies react the same. As long as you are using good form, lifting slow and pushing yourself to the max, you will be fine.

As far as protein, I also like designer whey. I have tried vanilla and chocolate. I also add 1/2 scoop to my cooked oatmeal. Smoothies are great when I have more calories left to eat and want a balanced meal, I mix almost any kind of fruit with it. I also like EAS Myoplex Lite. I try to eat lean protein as much as possible without relying on protein supplements as much. So I eat lean meats such as fish, chicken breast and lean beef and pork every day. I set up my nutritional goal for protein at 30%. I am usually a little under but not by much.

Teachnrun, good luck on your 20K!!!! :drinker:

Purple120, I do an abs workout every time I lift. I alternate between ab burner and extreme abs.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • purple120
    Options
    Did burn 3 yesterday and a run. My HRM chest ban gave me a awful burn around my chest. I've had my HRM for about three months never had this happen before. I did run longer than usual but only a mile more so I don't know why this happened any suggestions on how to prevent this. Well off to workout catch you ladies later.

Have a great day.