Over 200 Club New Year New Body Part 6

Options
New thread ladies!! I wanted to say thank you to all of you for the advice.I am just having a tough few weeks but I know I will get through it and I will start dropping the weight again.I have faith it will happen.I am going to start eating half my exercise calories and see if this helps.So what is our new challenge and who was the biggest loser this week.I think it was JBL but I am not for certain.

Replies

• Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    Hi awestfall, thanks for the new link. Jlb is the biggest loser. Here is her challenge

"Okay, I don't have a creative challenge so if I'm the BL, this week's challenge will be to get at LEAST 30 minutes of cardio *every day* It can be 30 minutes at once (ideal), 15 and 15, or even 10, 10, and 10, just keep moving!" quote by jlb123.

Hope everyone has a good evening. (evening here on the west coast)
  • tiger12gal
    tiger12gal Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    awestfall: thanks for the new link! and letting us know about it on the other thread! I would have never have known! Im sure you will start losing the weight again. Just keep up good work!

I know I am not going to be able to do the creative challenge.. I dont have much time for anything and it is still to cold here to take the kids out for a walk/jog. :ohwell:
  • ColoradoGirl
    ColoradoGirl Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • awestfall
    awestfall Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    awestfall: thanks for the new link! and letting us know about it on the other thread! I would have never have known! Im sure you will start losing the weight again. Just keep up good work!

I know I am not going to be able to do the creative challenge.. I dont have much time for anything and it is still to cold here to take the kids out for a walk/jog. :ohwell:
    Tiger -make time for you even if its just 15 or 20 minutes make time ok.
    Momma -thanks for the cahllenge information and I sure hope this weight starts falling off again cause I feel miserable,
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

I know I am not going to be able to do the creative challenge.. I don't have much time for anything and it is still to cold here to take the kids out for a walk/jog. :ohwell:
    Remember you can always walk in place in front of your TV while you catch a program at night! I used to get the grand-kids to "follow the leader" and we'd march around the house while they played drums (pots with a wooden spoon) and we'd pretend to be a band -goofy but it got all of us moving!:bigsmile:
  • ColoradoGirl
    Options
    OK. GIRLS... I NEED some serious motivation. I have been very badevilgrin0022.gif The past couple of weeks I have been gradually falling off the wagon and have gone from no cheat days to like 5 cheat days this past week. I have no idea my weight right now, but, I would not be surprised if I had gained a couple of pounds! I simply have too much going on and need to reset my priorities! smiley-face-thatsit.gif

The good news is I got a new (well new to me) elliptical off of craigslist yesterday I am bartering 150.00 day spa services for it! smiley-face-drool.gif It is a nice one from Nordic Track! So, I am looking forward to starting over today and logging everything I put in my mouth, drinking my water, and getting some exercise.
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    Good Morning girls :smile:

I am so tired today. My children are off to school and hubby went to work....i just have the little one (4 y/o) and mother in-law with me. I feel so unmotivated today...these past couple of weeks i have not lost weight, as much as i would like to, and i don't want to make excuses for my laziness....i try to make time throughout the day but by night time i don't feel like doing anything but sit on the couch and watch a show..

Please girls, i need your encouragement...i don't want to fall off the wagon...i have been down that road before and its not pretty. It's uaually hard for me to get back on. Today i plan to do w8d2 (c25k), which i have been pushing to the side because i find other things to do. I have not been eating like a cow..fear i might gain weight but i have NOT been losing weight either...i am about the same these past two weeks..maybe .5 lb down...which i know i can do better.

we are in the six week and i probably lost 5 pound when i could have lost twice as much...i am so mad at myself for doing things to sabotage my plan...and i have noticed it a lot since "the family guest" came, about a month ago.

This week i will be focusing on HOW MUCH I AM REALLY EATING, becasue i usually do my food log in the morning before i eat anything or the next day..when i have already done the damage. And EXERCISING for 40 minutes EVERYDAY...i have been slacking big time....NOT THIS WEEK!!!

Wish me luck :smile:

Thanks everyone for listening :):smile:

Before i forget...does anyone know what happen to lildebb.? I hope her and her family is doing well.

i will be back on when i finish my exercise...(that i will be doing in a little bit).

Have a great day girls!:flowerforyou:
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    OK Positively_Me and ColoradoGirl! Here's our goal (because I too am not working the plan).:bigsmile:

We will get into bed at an early hour (tell our family we've developed migraines if we need to). We will get up at an unreasonably early hour and we will exercise for at least 40 minutes even if that exercise is just walking or ellipticalling (new word thank you very much) in slow mo! Our rule will be to be dressed, shoes on and at our exercise position at the predetermined time and we are not allowed to leave the area for 40 minutes!!! (so we might was well exercise!).

THEN we will record ALL of our food even if we decided it was going to be a "cheat day" If (when) we eat more than we planned we will update the log to reflect our actual calories. Because we know that we are only cheating ourselves and our bodies - not some "diet program".

While I am officially doing this for my various health goals - I know that my REAL goal is to look good and amaze my family this summer when I can run around and keep up with the grandkids! I want to be the one saying "Tennis anyone?" not the one wishing for an afternoon nap with the baby! I want to be able to get hot and sweaty and not mind it! Don't you? Lets keep that picture of what we're going to look and feel like in our minds when we think "I'll start tomorrow" and lets be true to ourselves and treat our own dreams as being every bit as important as the desires of others.

OK? Sound like a plan? Are you with me???:drinker:

(maybe you wanted a pep talk not a drill Sargent?)
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Wow, I've gotten behind on reading everyone's posts!

So, awestfall, I think it may be worth a shot to start eating some of your excercise calories. Despite everything I knew, I was a little worried about increasing my calorie intake, too, but it seems to be working for me. Most days I just do 30 minutes on my stationary bike which MFP says burns like 350 calories and my HRM says burns 400 or so. I eat roughly 100 of them. I also take into consideration that I'm well below average height, so that average 1200 calories number doesn't necessarily apply to me when it comes to "starvation mode" though I nearly never go under it just in case. Better safe than sorry & all that good stuff. So, even when I eat 1300 calories, I'm probably technically eating more than just 100 exercise calories because my body my not even need 1200 to function properly. But, because that's all guesswork, I'm not willing to chance it so I eat.

A few weeks ago when I started running continuous runs rather than just intervals, I noticed my body started screaming for more food, especially more protein. So, I changed my macronutrient goals on MFP to include 5% more protein and 5% fewer carbs and actually try to plan my meals to get in more protein, especially on days I run. Everywhere I look I see people advising others to never eat below their BMR if they're at a "healthy" weight. So, I wanted to get in the habit of eating at least that much for when I reach my goal weight and the BMR for my goal weight is 1365. So, on days I add running to my exercise routine, I try to eat around 1365 calories. There's no real basis behind that besides the fact that my body *wanted* more food and because I wanted to start the habit of eating that much, so don't think that number of calories is especially significant or anything like that. So, basically, on days I burn more than 500 calories with exercise, I try to eat at least 150-200 of them. On days I only burn 200-499, I tend to eat about 50-100 of them. On days I don't workout, I try not to go too far over 1200.

You're welcome to look at my food diary. I know it's not the greatest (and I didn't complete it yesterday because I didn't know where to start with all the tiny homemade odds & ends I ate at my aunt's house and my friends' house). For exercise, I bike 8 miles every morning (30 minutes) and run 2+ miles every Monday, Thursday, and Saturday. Those are my main forms of exercise right now. Sometimes I add a walk or an extra long bike over the weekend. Lately I've also taken to locking myself in a room and dancing with my mp3 player. :embarassed: But I never log that.

This weekend was stupid. I did fine but Friday night & Saturday were super stressful and then Sunday was brunch with family and Superbowl with friends and although I think I did alright, I don't know exactly where I stand. I weighed this morning & I don't have a liar ticker so I guess I didn't do too horribly. This week I'll be out of my routine a little because my bf's truck isn't running so I'll have to make accommodations to get him to and from school. That in itself is stressful because the college is really inconveniently located in relation to where we live and where I work. Basically I'll be getting up at least an hour earlier and spending my entire lunch hour (plus some leave) on shuttling him around unless he's able to repair his truck himself today (which he doubts). :ohwell:
  • awestfall
    Options
    OK Positively_Me and ColoradoGirl! Here's our goal (because I too am not working the plan).:bigsmile:

We will get into bed at an early hour (tell our family we've developed migraines if we need to). We will get up at an unreasonably early hour and we will exercise for at least 40 minutes even if that exercise is just walking or ellipticalling (new word thank you very much) in slow mo! Our rule will be to be dressed, shoes on and at our exercise position at the predetermined time and we are not allowed to leave the area for 40 minutes!!! (so we might was well exercise!).

THEN we will record ALL of our food even if we decided it was going to be a "cheat day" If (when) we eat more than we planned we will update the log to reflect our actual calories. Because we know that we are only cheating ourselves and our bodies - not some "diet program".

While I am officially doing this for my various health goals - I know that my REAL goal is to look good and amaze my family this summer when I can run around and keep up with the grandkids! I want to be the one saying "Tennis anyone?" not the one wishing for an afternoon nap with the baby! I want to be able to get hot and sweaty and not mind it! Don't you? Lets keep that picture of what we're going to look and feel like in our minds when we think "I'll start tomorrow" and lets be true to ourselves and treat our own dreams as being every bit as important as the desires of others.

I am in Mstahl!! I really need this push too!! So count me in!!
  • awestfall
    Options
    Wow, I've gotten behind on reading everyone's posts!

So, awestfall, I think it may be worth a shot to start eating some of your excercise calories. Despite everything I knew, I was a little worried about increasing my calorie intake, too, but it seems to be working for me. Most days I just do 30 minutes on my stationary bike which MFP says burns like 350 calories and my HRM says burns 400 or so. I eat roughly 100 of them. I also take into consideration that I'm well below average height, so that average 1200 calories number doesn't necessarily apply to me when it comes to "starvation mode" though I nearly never go under it just in case. Better safe than sorry & all that good stuff. So, even when I eat 1300 calories, I'm probably technically eating more than just 100 exercise calories because my body my not even need 1200 to function properly. But, because that's all guesswork, I'm not willing to chance it so I eat.

A few weeks ago when I started running continuous runs rather than just intervals, I noticed my body started screaming for more food, especially more protein. So, I changed my macronutrient goals on MFP to include 5% more protein and 5% fewer carbs and actually try to plan my meals to get in more protein, especially on days I run. Everywhere I look I see people advising others to never eat below their BMR if they're at a "healthy" weight. So, I wanted to get in the habit of eating at least that much for when I reach my goal weight and the BMR for my goal weight is 1365. So, on days I add running to my exercise routine, I try to eat around 1365 calories. There's no real basis behind that besides the fact that my body *wanted* more food and because I wanted to start the habit of eating that much, so don't think that number of calories is especially significant or anything like that. So, basically, on days I burn more than 500 calories with exercise, I try to eat at least 150-200 of them. On days I only burn 200-499, I tend to eat about 50-100 of them. On days I don't workout, I try not to go too far over 1200.

You're welcome to look at my food diary. I know it's not the greatest (and I didn't complete it yesterday because I didn't know where to start with all the tiny homemade odds & ends I ate at my aunt's house and my friends' house). For exercise, I bike 8 miles every morning (30 minutes) and run 2+ miles every Monday, Thursday, and Saturday. Those are my main forms of exercise right now. Sometimes I add a walk or an extra long bike over the weekend. Lately I've also taken to locking myself in a room and dancing with my mp3 player. :embarassed: But I never log that.

This weekend was stupid. I did fine but Friday night & Saturday were super stressful and then Sunday was brunch with family and Superbowl with friends and although I think I did alright, I don't know exactly where I stand. I weighed this morning & I don't have a liar ticker so I guess I didn't do too horribly. This week I'll be out of my routine a little because my bf's truck isn't running so I'll have to make accommodations to get him to and from school. That in itself is stressful because the college is really inconveniently located in relation to where we live and where I work. Basically I'll be getting up at least an hour earlier and spending my entire lunch hour (plus some leave) on shuttling him around unless he's able to repair his truck himself today (which he doubts). :ohwell:
    So basically what you are saying is eat what MFP has calculated for me and then if I burn 500 calories running on my elliptical try to at least eat 100-150 of them back RIGHT??? Sounds simple enough!!! Bluenote told me I may see a bit of a gain since I start eating my exercise calories but she told me it would come back off and I should start seeing results again.Thanks Jbl I am going to try this out right now.
  • ColoradoGirl
    Options
    I am in to! I need to kick myself in the butt!
  • ColoradoGirl
    Options
    question for you ellipitcal users..
    MFP says that in 25 min I burned 422 calories.. is that right?
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    So basically what you are saying is eat what MFP has calculated for me and then if I burn 500 calories running on my elliptical try to at least eat 100-150 of them back RIGHT??? Sounds simple enough!!! Bluenote told me I may see a bit of a gain since I start eating my exercise calories but she told me it would come back off and I should start seeing results again.Thanks Jbl I am going to try this out right now.

I'm just saying that's what I've been doing and it's working for me. We all know we're all different. :smile: But you certainly can't eat *less* so you may as well try eating more! I think Bluenote's right, if you increased your calories a lot all at once you would gain weight. But if you do it gradually -- like adding 50 calories every few days, you may not notice a weight gain. That was Banks' advice for someone (so I read).
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Good morning:

Awstfall: I don't know if this will help at all, but when I had MFP calculate my calories, I gained weight. When I did some more research, I found other sites that gave me a higher calorie requirement. As an experiment, I manually set MFP using the calories given to me by dailyburn.com and started losing consistently again. I love MFP, but I don't think the calorie goals are realistic for some people (such as me). MFP wanted me to eat 1200 per day, but I actually eat closer to 2000 per day, based on Dailyburn.com and it's working for me. Overall, I think you may want to do a bit of experimenting to find out what best works for your body.

Jlb: I love the challenge of 30 min. cardio each day. Lord knows I need it and I actually love cardio!

Okay, now checking in for the weekend:
    Friday 2/5/2010:
    Calories: 104 left over
    Water: 32 oz.
    Sodium: Over by 4000
    Exercise: None
    Proud: I didn't make the Dairy Queen trip that I wanted to, even though I was having a tough day emotionally.

Saturday 2/6/2010:
    Calories: 976 over
    Water: 40 oz.
    Sodium: 3600 over
    Exercise: Snowshoeing for an hour with friends.
    Proud: That I logged all of my food even when I knew I wouldn't like the numbers!

Sunday 2/7/2010:
    Calories: 416 left over
    Water: 32 oz.
    Sodium: Over by 1418
    Exercise: Snowshoeing 3.5 miles with my boyfriend.
    Proud: That I didn't go over my calories even with the food available during the Super Bowl party.

I'm only up .6 lbs. from the weekend, according to my scale this morning which isn't bad. Again, I think it's mostly from sodium intake and as every Monday, am working on flushing it out with extra water this morning. Why can't I keep the food and sodium in check over the weekends??

I don't know if I'll be able to do much of a workout tonight since my boots rubbed huge blisters on both of my heels during snowshoeing yesterday, but I'll certainly try!

Have a great day, ladies!
    Heather
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Awestfall: Oh, and I would definitely recommend getting a HRM. MFP always calculates higher than my HRM does for my most common activities. It's worth the investment!!
  • LittleSpy
    Options

It would completely depend on your intensity level during those 25 minutes.

It's kind of like saying "walking 30 minutes burns 200 calories." Okay, well I can walk 1mph for 30 minutes or, I can walk 4mph for 30 minutes. They don't both burn 200 calories. I'm going to burn a whole lot more walking 4mph. I imagine the MFP entry is for "moderate" intensity (which I personally interpret to mean getting your heartrate pretty far up there & being slightly out of breath).
  • llowry
    llowry Posts: 144 Member
    Options

Count me in too please! Is that 40min. including the 30 min for the challenge?
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options

Thank you :) I really needed that! Count me in :)!

After i finished writing what i had to say i closed the computer and did 41 minutes on the treadmill (28 minutes was running -4.5 mph - w8d2) and the rest was basic walking ( 3.7 mph)...getting my heartrate back to normal. I burned almost 500 calories. Then I hopped the elliptical for 20 minutes and burned 250 calories...not bad...i need to get back into this if i want to lose 50 pounds by my birthday in October.

I took my shower and cleaned up the rest of my house and ate my b-fast: 6 oz of homemade yogurt w/ 2 teaspoons of sugar free strawberry jam, and 1/4 cup quaker honey and oat clusters...yum :tongue:

I will post my check in after i plugged in what i will be eaten the rest of the day.

Thanks for the encouragement:blushing: i really needed that butt kicking:heart::flowerforyou:
  • awestfall
    Options
    Probably not !!! Usually in 30 minutes I only burn 360 calories but this is just me.I would only use MFP as a guess of how much your burning.Does your elliptical machine tell you how much you burn?