going dutch on a first date

Replies

• inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    No.

This gets me sh1t with the feministy types....of which I am one. But hair, clothes, shoes, makeup....the list goes on and on. These are all things I'm expected to pay for. Most men I know had their parents paying for their clothes up until college and own 3 or 4 pairs of shoes. I think that if I'm expected to dress up to go out on dates or to the bar and I have to pay for all that sh1t, then it's not too crazy to have a few of my drinks paid for or my meal.

And I'm not going to be a b1tch. If you can't afford my rum and coke or my $7-10 meal, we probably shouldn't be dating. No scrubs.

But it's funny how the gender norm I agree with is the one where I get free sh1t. Very rarely do gender norms swing towards the ladies.

Guys are spending more on their clothes and personal hygiene these days.

So, if a guy can't afford or doesn't want to support you, that makes him a scrub?

I am saddened that so many women feel they need to put men to the test, as if blowing money on a first date somehow showed how responsible or generous he is. It just shows how flashy he is.

I still say they have to put the toilet seat down.

I don't understand the contention that guys should have to pay for the date because a girl has to pay to look nice.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't do my hair or my makeup or buy my clothes for anyone other than myself. I'm not doing all of these things to attract a future mate. I'm not a peacock or something (though I know the ones that get their tails all displayed are the men..) but anyway, when I dress how I do it's for me, not for anyone else.

I am rather disgusted at the thought that how women look is to solely impress men and that men should have to pay for a woman because she had to pay to get her hair done.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    I'll pay if I think he's gonna put out.

You really are desperate, aren't you??
  • TylerJ76
    My take: I never ask guys out, but I think the person who asks is the person who pays, whether that's guy or girl.

But as Barbellerella said, I'd be willing to pay if I thought he'd put out for me.

I would buy for you too. As long as it's 2 for 1's. Then it's like you're getting that *kitten* for free...
  • peacelovelose
    peacelovelose Posts: 63 Member
    I'm totally fine going dutch/paying for both of us on later dates (and I do this in my current relationship) BUT when a guy asks you out for the first time, I find it MUCH more impressive/thoughtful when he pays.
    If I were to ask someone out for the first time, I'd assume I'm the one paying.
  • rushikareddy
    rushikareddy Posts: 604 Member
    No.

This gets me sh1t with the feministy types....of which I am one. But hair, clothes, shoes, makeup....the list goes on and on. These are all things I'm expected to pay for. Most men I know had their parents paying for their clothes up until college and own 3 or 4 pairs of shoes. I think that if I'm expected to dress up to go out on dates or to the bar and I have to pay for all that sh1t, then it's not too crazy to have a few of my drinks paid for or my meal.

And I'm not going to be a b1tch. If you can't afford my rum and coke or my $7-10 meal, we probably shouldn't be dating. No scrubs.

But it's funny how the gender norm I agree with is the one where I get free sh1t. Very rarely do gender norms swing towards the ladies.

So, if a guy can't afford or doesn't want to support you, that makes him a scrub?

I am saddened that so many women feel they need to put men to the test, as if blowing money on a first date somehow showed how responsible or generous he is. It just shows how flashy he is.

I don't understand the contention that guys should have to pay for the date because a girl has to pay to look nice.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't do my hair or my makeup or buy my clothes for anyone other than myself. I'm not doing all of these things to attract a future mate. I'm not a peacock or something (though I know the ones that get their tails all displayed are the men..) but anyway, when I dress how I do it's for me, not for anyone else.

I am rather disgusted at the thought that how women look is to solely impress men and that men should have to pay for a woman because she had to pay to get her hair done.
    ^^ agreed!
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member

I'm not allowed to say "I'm desperate". Apparently that warrants a strike if I do :grumble:
  • _JamieB_
    _JamieB_ Posts: 417 Member
    Definitely don't need a guy to spend money on me to be swept off my feet!
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    No.

No...
    A man pays becanse that is what a man does.
    If a woman has a flat tire and is about to put on the spare.. NO!!!!
    A man will always do that for her.
    A man will do the dirty things although the woman is totally capable of doing it herself.
    That is what a man does.
    And a man pays for the meal when dating.
    Even if she made it perfectly clear that she isn't going to "put out" yet.
    The man picks up the bill.
  • TylerJ76

I'm not allowed to say "I'm desperate". Apparently that warrants a strike if I do :grumble:

I'll buy you dinner at a fancy place like Denny's AND put out...
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    My husband unapologetically used a coupon on one of our first dates. I put out.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member

I'd make this a threesome on 2 for 1 night.
  • TylerJ76

I'd make this a threesome on 2 for 1 night.

This is going to be THE BEST DATE EVER.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member

tumblr_lxcsi9NdiK1ql5yr7o1_400.gif
  • inskydiamonds
    No.

No...
    A man will do the dirty things although the woman is totally capable of doing it herself.
    That is what a man does.

Ew. I would never be with a man who thought I was somehow incapable of changing my own spare, or getting myself dirty, and of paying my own way.

That is so uncharming and so unappealing.

I would appreciate a guy who offered a help, but not a man who thinks I am incapable of doing these things on my own.
  • TylerJ76
    Ew. I would never be with a man who thought I was somehow incapable of changing my own spare, or getting myself dirty, and of paying my own way.

I would appreciate a guy who offered a help, but not a man who thinks I am incapable of doing these things on my own.

I like you.
  • inskydiamonds

I like you.

:P
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    No.

No...
    That is what a man does.

If I haven't changed my tire by the time you realize it is flat, it is because a lug nut has seized and it requires power tools. But a big thanks to the man who broke my tire iron trying to prove that he could do it.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    No.

No...
    That is what a man does.

You must have missed this part:

"A man will do the dirty things although the woman is totally capable of doing it herself"

I suppose I am still just a bit old fashoned.
    But, the "charm" of it has yet to fail me.
    Well, I wouldn't know anymore since I have been off the market for over 14 years but, it worked in the past.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    No.

No...
    That is what a man does.

If I haven't changed my tire by the time you realize it is flat, it is because a lug nut has seized and it requires power tools. But a big thanks to the man who broke my tire iron trying to prove that he could do it.
    And owned.

Seriously, bro. I got this. I'll change my own damn tire, but thanks.
  • jessmart83
    jessmart83 Posts: 283 Member
    On a first date, I would always be willing to pay my share of the tab. I also believe that if a girl asks a guy out, she should be willing to foot the bill and vice versa. I have been with my bf for almost 3 years now and we always take turns paying for nights out.