Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Senior Golden Sneakers ~~~~May~~~~ just for you Marie!!

Replies

• Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Hi everyone! It was sunny when I got up but the clouds have moved in now. I hope it is nice tomorrow as my kids are coming out to help me dig up some volunteer trees where they shouldn't be. They are crowding out the shrubs and making it look very messy. I think I told you that Neil has an open area between his toes. It is still goopy (a good medical word) so we are a little sad about that. I have a feeling that he will need more antibiotics unless a miracle happens. I am using Betadine to dry it up and am still hopeful. I had to cancel his bath for Monday which didn't make him really happy. I rescheduled it for Friday.
    I am just about to make some banana muffins with overripe bananas. The trick will be not to eat too many myself. I am starting a challenge on SparkPeople today so hopefully that will keep me focused.

Marie -- I can't tell you how happy I was to see a post from you. I hope the swelling goes down in your feet quickly. How nice to have Jerry cooking for you, sweet guy. I missed your cheery posts each day but was so thankful to get the messages from Alice. Tell her thanks so much from me.

Sandy -- We do all get confused from time to time. Whenever I forget something Dave always makes me feel like I have taken a big leap down that slippery slope. He thinks he doesn't forget anything but guess what -- he does!! I hope your little granddaughter loves skating as much as I did. I liked roller skating as well but ice skating was and is my first love except that now I watch it instead of do it.

Phoebe -- So glad to see a post from you. I expect you are busy running across the countryside.

Take care and keep smiling. Gayla :heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,123 Member
    :drinker: Marie, I'm so glad to hear from you again........you'll be back to your usual self in no time.........today I went to a meeting where the woman organizing the lunch brought her Jack Russell.....her dog spent a lot of time lying in the sun next to where I was sitting....he was so cute and seeing him I thought of you and Sammy.

:drinker: My day trip with my friend was great....beautiful weather.......I walked on the passenger deck on the ferry for 30 minutes coming and going.....I took a walk at lunch time......I brought my own food so I didn't eat the lasagne for lunch......and then I rode the exercise bike for several 20 minute sessions when I got home so I burned enough calories.......no yoga, pilates, or wii sports, but I walked over 12,000 steps.

:drinker: tomorrow is cleanse day and packing day for our trip.
    :heart: Barbie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,257 Member
    happy-mothers-day.gif
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Good afternoon Babbie. glad you had a nice time. Sammy would not have lay still that long.
    My daughter came out and she check Applebee out and all of their food were so high in sodium. She cook us some baked chicken int he oven. and cooked some fresh green beans. I found this recipe in the coupons book this mornin.g using creumble frenchie fried Tou don't used any salt at all. And occording to onion rings. web site a serving was only 255G OF SODIUM PER SERVINGS. aND i THOUGHT THAT WAS PRETTY GOOD. AND i WAS SO GOOD. eVEN HAVE LEFT OVERS FOR SUPPER. i AM GOING TO TAKE A NAP NOW WHEN i GET UP i WILL WORK ON MY FOOD CHART.
  • Lafla
    Happy Mother's Day to all my wonderful women friends on MFP. Hope you all get to spend some time with your children even if it is only a phone call. I am expecting my boys out soon to help me do some yard work, the best gift ever! I need to get some trees dug up. Have a great day.
    Take care and keep smiling. Gayla :smile: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Hi Marie,

The secret to Applebee's or any other cook-to-order restaurant is tell your server "do NOT add any salt or any spice that contains salt to my meal." I am posting from my mom's right now and don't have time to research it, but I can come up with a few things on their menu that should be fairly low sodium and not too high in fat or calories. I have info at home that I can't access right now.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Happy Mother's Day to Everyone it applies to...:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

from Barb and "The Three Little Piggies." (They gave mom the best present of all. They stayed HOME while I came over to my mom and dad's and made brunch. Whole wheat waffles, w/fresh strawberries and whipped cream, veggie omelette, pork sausage, and honey dew melon.) YUM!!

So long for now.

Barb

Edit--Just figured out why Marie had such a hard time finding us. The May thread got started under "Introduce yourself" forum instead of "Fitness and Exercise" where it has been in the past.
  • CALIECAT
    I found you barb. Just like you said in the inintrodduce your self. I really thought I was losing my mindthere for awile for clearing it up for me. My other problems wasThat after i click on may I failed to leave a post and it did not not register on my topic. thanks for all who sent me the link And I fially put 2 2 together and got on. But all is well now. Barbs. Thanks also for the salt information on aplleBee. I don't know yet how many grams i can have. I found a small salt shaker I used to used. I would put my allotemen in it likeit ia 1/4 tespoon ithat would be my alootment for the day. But after being off salt for q week at the hospital i Don't like it very much now. I think it is helping. My feet don't feel as tight today. but still swollen.
    That was nice of you barbs to go fx brunce for your folks. I enjoy Alice coming out and fix lunch for us. Jerry and I will have it again for supper.
  • barbiecat
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Marie, I have found the best solution to eating low sodium is to stay out of all restaurants.....even when they don't add salt, they use processed foods for their sauces and that's where a lot of the salt is.....Jake likes all the Mrs. Dash seasonings.....we usually have several of them on the table...My favorite is the hot and spicy. :bigsmile:

:drinker: we are almost packed for our trip....we can't leave too early tomorrow because we can't drop the dogs off at the boarding place until ten.....I'll take the cats to The Cat's Pajamas at eight o'clock and then we'll finish packing the car......there's a lot to pack since we'll be bringing so much of our Isagenix food with us.

:drinker: I hope everyone had a great Mother's Day (even if you aren't someone's mother):bigsmile:
  • CALIECAT
    O k Barbiecat, Just where are you and Jake headed out to and when will you be back.????????// Somehow I missed out again.Be careful
    How much sodium do you try for. Untill they tell me fdifference I am going for 1500. a day.
  • barbiecat
    :flowerforyou: Marie, we are going to Northern California. Our daughter, Larissa, is graduating from Humboldt State University with a degree in social work. She is 33 years old, married, and pregnant with her second child so we are very proud of her accomplishment. We will stay two nights on the road driving down. The first night we are going to have dinner in a Hungarian restaurant that we found on one of our trips a few years and have promised ourselves we'd go to again. The second night we'll stay somewhere on the south coast in Oregon.

We'll be home on Tuesday May 18. We're not sure whether we'll have internet access so I've decided that I'm going to eat smart and exercise but not try to log it onto MFP for a few days and give myself a vacation.

I set my sodium goal at 1800 and try to keep it under 1500. The DASH diet has some great information about limiting sodium and some other good stuff. here is the link:

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/new_dash.pdf

• CALIECAT
    Good Plans Barbiecat. Sounds like a nice trip plan. I will go to dash and ee what I can learn and I have lots to learn. Alice fix a chicken dish yesterday ana it had 155 gr of sodium and it was quite Gooo. So I had a reetty low sodium. Have a great time.
    Love Marie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,257 Member
    Good Morning,

Hope everyone had a good Mother's Day!! Mine was great, all the kids remembered me either with a card, present or a phone call. :heart: Even Bryanna sent me a message saying she wished she could be with me. :love:

Barbie, have a great trip and we will hear all about your adventures when you return. :happy:

Marie, you are doing well with the salt, keep up the good work. :flowerforyou:

I overate yesterday and now I plan on doing the shred and riding the bike to get rid of extra calories. I changed my ticker because I gained a couple of pounds and need to be honest with myself. :sad: It is hard to watch my calories when my husband and others tell me I worry to much about my weight and that I look great. :grumble: I have a goal and although no one understands why I am reaching for that goal I am determined to do it. I know all of you are supportive so I need a good kick in the butt to keep me going. :smooched:

Have a good day.

Love you guys and girls!!

Sandy
  • viliberty1957
    viliberty1957 Posts: 194
    Another Mother's Day past. I either heard from or saw all my offspring. One son came over and did yard work for two days. That transformed things. I'm hoping for a family reunion this summer. I haven't seen my youngest for a couple years or so, and I've never seen his youngest. I think it is time!!!

God Bless!
  • CALIECAT
    WHAT A BEAUTIFUL QUILT iRENE. i LOVE THOSE COLORS. I made my daughter an Irish quilt about 15 years ago.

I am waiting for the nurse to come out and help me on my low salt diet. So far I think I am doing pretty good. My feet are still swollen up but they don't feel as tight now.

Have a great day everybody.
    Marie
  • Lafla
    Hi everyone. We did our usual Monday run to the city for groceries, a haircut for Neil and lunch with my youngest son. I had a salmon wrap which was over the top yummy, salmon, greens, avocado, red onions and cream cheese. I can't wait for next week when I will have it again. Something is always getting in my way to get to WW but I am determined to get there this week, hopefully tomorrow.
    I had a nice Mother's Day. My boys came out to give me the best Mother's Day gift possible. They helped me trim trees, pull out volunteer trees, mostly ash and another lovely flowering tree that the birds like to start everywhere. They also dug out my apple tree that was no longer very healthy and the rose bush that I have pictures of here. We will put in another apple tree soon and move it a bit further from the Mountain Ash as they suck up all the water. We still have to dig out a birch tree that died and the plan is to replace it with a flowering crab. They also brought me a gorgeous Azalea and Yoga for the Wii. I can't wait to give it a try. When they come out to dig out the birch tree they will also put the hospital bed in the basement!!! Yahoo!! It will be nice to have room in the Family room again.

Take care everyone and keep smiling. Gayla :heart:
  • CALIECAT
    Hey gayla sounds like the boys made headway yesterday. Wonderful. I found a pralin muffin in Zarr's that is low in sodium. Only 104 calories 27 MG Sodium Not bad.
  • CALIECAT
    Hey gayla sounds like the boys made headway yesterday. Wonderful. I found a pralin muffin in Zarr's that is low in sodium. Only 104 calories 27 MG Sodium Not bad. Look like I double post
  • viliberty1957
    viliberty1957 Posts: 194
    Marie, I am so glad you are getting better. And thank you for the quilt compliment. It was fun to make and is really bright.....brighter than it looks in the picture. It is just the top. I make lots of tops, but I'm slow getting them put together with batting and backing. Lately I have been doing some crochet. I like to work on doilies while I watch TV at night.

Everybody else. I always read and enjoy your posts. I'm not so good at answering. But please know that I appreciate you all. God Bless!
  • Lafla
    Marie -- I emailed you Kay's blog address. Hope it works for you. How did the visit go with the nurse?

Irene -- I also love the quilt. When I was growing up my Grandma lived with us a lot and we often had a quilt frame set up in our dining room. The ladies in the neighbourhood would come over and stitch, not always to my Grandma's pleasure as she was a bit of a perfectionist and she would sometimes have to redo their stitches. I still have several of her quilts and love them.

I hope you are all sleeping soundly. I better get to bed as I have to go in for a mammogram early tomorrow morning. While it is not the worst of tests it isn't very comfortable. I was supposed to have a colonoscopy this spring and just found out the doc. I always saw has retired. I guess I will be on a waiting list to see someone else. Now that is a test I really don't like.

Take care. Gayla :heart:
  • jeffrey71
    jeffrey71 Posts: 432
    Good Morning Everyone!

MARIE! So very happy to see you back with us! Now don't over do it and rest up!

We had one of the busiest weekends ever. The girls were great and a lot of fun! Sam went through graduation although she still has her student teaching to do yet. But the worst is over for her! Amanda is great and waiting for her contract for next year. She is very happy in Atlanta. That does my heart good but I miss them both a lot when they are gone. Sam is here at home for 2 weeks then she starts her summer job on campus. She will be back home for 2 weeks or so in late July and early August. It seemed like we lived in the car all weekend. Day had a great Mother's Day with both her girls home.

I have made what appears to be the final cut for the job. 1500 down to 3! I have 2 more interviews to go. I have made it through all their testing with flying colors. We shall see.....

I had 3 days off from training over the weekend. I felt really sluggish yesterday but I got a great workout in by shear determination. I swam 3/4 mile, ran 3.2 miles, did my strength training and ab workout for 1.5 hours, and then rode the bike for 5 miles. Back in the groove now! Today will be all cardio. Plyometrics and running. My first triathlon is in 7 weeks now! Yesterday I did my swim training with some younger guys that are triathletes too. They kicked my butt! LOL But I hung in there! They were really good. Today I am taking my race bike in for a professional tune up and inspection. I don't want to break an axle at 30 mph. There would be nothing but a little spandex between me and the pavement! I think that would leave a mark!

Beth I will send you an email later today with what I am doing. I can send you my training log if you want to see it.

Gayla it sounds a little calmer for you, and that is good!

Sandy I know I owe you a reply on something but I can't remember what!

Barbie I hope you and Jake are well!

Birdie, Barb, and all the rest I trust you are all well and doing great!

Marie, again, I am so glad to see you back. I was worried about you!

Take care everyone!

Jeffrey

PS: what a crappy day here! 44 degrees and a cold rain with it!
This discussion has been closed.