Do you think there's a masculinity crisis in America?

Options

Replies

• Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    No. Next question.
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I think women have always been running the show pretty much, its really nothing new, we are just subtle creatures!

img removed by mod

^^^ THIS!!!
  • majikmiker
    majikmiker Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    We rule. :devil:

The dawn of realization that this statement above is true.....

:bigsmile: :smile: :smile: :ohwell: :huh: :frown: :frown: :sick: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I think being a man is about character, and less about the type of job you do or how you dress or look. I think there are questions about people's integrity and character in today's society, so it seems like manliness is on the decline. If you look at some of the iconic masculine figures in TV and film, and they are cowboys, firemen, mob figures. Each one has an image, but it's more about their character and integrity. The cowboy is stoic and chivalirous, the policeman is brave and just, the mob guys take care of their own, the firemen put their lives on the line for others.

But hey, I cry during chick flicks and during Extreme Makeover: Weightloss edition so...........:drinker: :bigsmile:
  • tldust
    tldust Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Depends on your definition of masculinity. So it's okay for a man to dominate a relationship? Isn't that chauvinism? I think perhaps men are having an identity crisis when comes to their roles in relationships, because the traditional male and female roles have changed as well as how men and women relate to each other. I thought relationships were based on mutuality and respect--not domination. I'm just saying.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    These are the guys that young girls think are hot these days...

One-Direction5.jpg

sparkling_edward.JPG

selena_gomez_justin_bieber_dress_a_p.jpg

lol does that answer your question?
  • Rayand22
    Rayand22 Posts: 18
    Options
    Dated... past tense. So you saw his feed then? Complaining about hipsters and this person and that person and ALWAYS posting drunk, right? Great catch.

What's wrong with complaining about hipsters? They mock everything else so they're fair game for mockery.

"I can take my shoes off if I want to. I'm the mayor of the coffee shop on FourSquare."

tumblr_l66q7bkym61qzzhzdo1_500.jpg

Photo and caption courtesy http://www.lookatthis****inghipster.tumblr.com/

This is what the original poster is talking about. I know it is trendy and people in general are followers but honestly, these type of guys are everywhere and personally for me, I think they are gross, girly, and annoying cause they are always trying to fight, mock, or lecture others about what they look like, eat, and shop. Hipsters attack everyone so whats wrong with attacking them back. I also agree with the guy who said men should have rough hands and stand up for what they believe. I hang out with mostly guys and they are real men, take these hipsters and my friends in the wilderness and lost, see who survives.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Depends on your definition of masculinity. So it's okay for a man to dominate a relationship? Isn't that chauvinism? I think perhaps men are having an identity crisis when comes to their roles in relationships, because the traditional male and female roles have changed as well as how men and women relate to each other. I thought relationships were based on mutuality and respect--not domination. I'm just saying.

I think you're incredibly mistaken about what masculinity is.

I'll keep it in simple terms. Being masculine is embracing what it is to be a man and all roles and responsibilities required of you for being a man.
  • Chipmaniac
    Options

One-Direction5.jpg

sparkling_edward.JPG

Yeah...cause these guys are sooooooo masculine:

new-kids-on-the-block-09.jpg

...and your grandparents generation:

frankie-valli-jane-scott.jpg
  • jsabet
    jsabet Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Only when I'm traveling in Europe.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    How old is a person really still using the term "hipster"?
    Freaking people are people let them be who they are.

Real men and real women don't spend a lot of time worrying about other freaking people and what they wear, say or do.
  • Rayand22
    Options

One-Direction5.jpg

sparkling_edward.JPG

The difference is that yeah girls loved those guys back in the day but most men didnt try to act and dress like them. Men hated boy groups back then and now men love boy groups. Its not the same.
  • whierd
    Options

Real men and real women don't spend a lot of time worrying about other freaking people and what they wear, say or do.

You're right.
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    To quote my fiance back when I met her.
    "A real man doesn't shave his chest hair to show off his muscles. His muscles are big enough for me to see them anyway."
    I am marrying this woman.
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    OP deactivated his account lol
  • Chipmaniac
    Options

One-Direction5.jpg

sparkling_edward.JPG

The difference is that yeah girls loved those guys back in the day but most men didnt try to act and dress like them. Men hated boy groups back then and now men love boy groups. Its not the same.
    Men don't love boy groups. Your argument is based on a false premise.
  • Rayand22
    Options
    How old is a person really still using the term "hipster"?
    Freaking people are people let them be who they are.

Then tell hipsters to quit attacking others and leave others alone and then maybe we will leave them alone. I take it that you must be one. You obviously care because you have been on this thread commenting and attacking since it was posted so get off your high horse and stop attacking others when you are doing the exact same thing.
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    If a dude uses the word fabulous, he should just throw in the towel on his manhood, change his name to Lucy, and rent some property on fire island.
  • whierd
    Options

Men don't love boy groups. Your argument is based on a false premise.

But I would argue that they often try to imitate them. Not boy groups per say, but prominent male figures in pop culture.
  • drea85an
    drea85an Posts: 130
    Options
    Oh, you mean men actually being fathers and helping out with making dinner, and women having careers? That IS manliness. I think the chest waxing and clothing choices are little to do with manliness, and more to do with style or immaturity.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a masculinity problem in America. I think there is an maturity problem.