Meat eater, vegetarian or vegan?? Which are you?

Options

Replies

• avocado12
    avocado12 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Meat eater! Wouldn't have it any other way!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Preaching doesn't do anything but put people off.

If you don't like preaching, don't go to church. This is a thread about dietary choices, and if you don't want to discuss them, you're in the wrong place.
    You are the one who is preaching here. My dietary choices are not your business but you seem to think it is. Not everything is about you, and you can't control what other people do with their lives.

Again, if your dietary choices are not my business, then why the Hell are you on a public forum talking about them?
    There are other people in this thread besides you. This is not a thread about judging what others do with their lives. It's a freaking question. Are you a troll or just a jerk?
    We are having a discussion. You seem to think it's an invitation to tell other people what they should and should not do. This is not a socially normal thing to do and will not earn you any respect.
  • VegesaurusRex
    VegesaurusRex Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Lots of people on this board appear to just want to feel good about their bad choices. They don't actually want to learn anything. Fine. I just hope Obamacare gets crushed along with medicare and medicaid so that I don't have to end up paying for your bad choices. You can do what you want. And you can pay for the consequences as well.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

If you don't like preaching, don't go to church. This is a thread about dietary choices, and if you don't want to discuss them, you're in the wrong place.
    You are the one who is preaching here. My dietary choices are not your business but you seem to think it is. Not everything is about you, and you can't control what other people do with their lives.

Again, if your dietary choices are not my business, then why the Hell are you on a public forum talking about them?
    There are other people in this thread besides you. This is not a thread about judging what others do with their lives. It's a freaking question. Are you a troll or just a jerk?
    We are having a discussion. You seem to think it's an invitation to tell other people what they should and should not do. This is not a socially normal thing to do and will not earn you any respect.

Exactly what kind of discussion about diets doesn't involve talking about the relative merits of different diets? And who are you to call people jerks? Ever do any research on diets? Or on anything?
  • cuteypolice
    cuteypolice Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm a mix of everything and I say that only because I'm extremly deficent in iron to the point where I have to take 360% above the daily value. I like my sliders from whole foods from time to time but other than that I stick to chicken, I do drink vegan nutritional shakes and my multi vitamin is vegan but that has to do with the gluten free part of my diet that I am on for the most part.
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing a bit of a negative vegan/vegetarian conversation going on... but just to add my views, i'm vegan (been vegetarian since birth, vegan for over 3 years) and happy! I make sure to try and hit all of my goals (calories, protein, vitamin B12, calcium, as well as taking iron supplements)- I believe that a lot of vegans, in fact most vegans, are more healthy than those who eat meat (more referring to those not on MFP!) because living the vegan lifestyle makes you aware of what you're eating and what your choices are.
    I've never been a militant vegan, and don't want to be. I get a little frustrated when I have non vegan friends waving chicken wings about in my face saying 'go on eat it!' or being told that people can't stand listening to vegan 'propaganda' when us vegans are surrounded by meat and dairy... I went shopping in a real supermarket for the first time in a long time (I normally get my food shop delivered) and there are just aisles after aisles of meat, fish, dairy.
    I also don't like people who say things like 'humans are supposed to eat meat, because of -insert popular wrong belief here- 'just eat some steak' 'but bacon tastes so good' blah blah blah. It's plain disrespectful. For me, being vegan isn't a taste based decision!
    However I do LOVE people who are interested in finding out about veganism... I turned vegan when I was 16 and had a lot of people who thought I was 'weird' or 'stupid' at college for doing it. However I appreciate when people want to educate themselves about why i'm vegan or learn about vegan products- if meat eaters take the time to just check out some documentaries (like Earthlings!), or read an article about it, then they're becoming more informed of the facts (because it is fact based, not opinion based). I'm not asking everyone in the world to go vegan, just to be open minded about it (:

Also, vegan food can be SO good. My boyfriend eats meat and loves a lot of the food I make.

edit: sorry for such a long post! :3
  • cuteypolice
    cuteypolice Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I eat some meat - mostly chicken and fish. Definitely not a vegan

I love Zumba :love:
  • caglaronur
    Options
    absolutely meat eater
  • psychopiglet
    psychopiglet Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    VegesaurusRex, why do you care so much about what other people eat? As long as it's not your pet or your relative leave them the **** alone.
  • morrws
    morrws Posts: 6
    Options
    Meat eater...keeping my carb intake very low, works for me.....
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Lots of people on this board appear to just want to feel good about their bad choices. They don't actually want to learn anything. Fine. I just hope Obamacare gets crushed along with medicare and medicaid so that I don't have to end up paying for your bad choices. You can do what you want. And you can pay for the consequences as well.
    Vegans have the same life expectancy and risk of disease as omnivores. Your pseudoscientific rambling and cherry picked (and misinterpreted) data isn't fooling anybody, just like it hasn't fooled anybody every other time you've gone on and on with your condescending preachiness. As for what I'm doing here, if you'd actually bother to read the thread before spouting your nonsense you'd know I've already spoken about my dietary choices. Anyway, do us all a favor, and drop the ridiculously childish passive aggressive behavior, it's really quite pathetic.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    Why do you care so much about what other people eat? As long as it's not your pet or your relative leave them the **** alone.

Again, if people do not want to talk about dietary choices why are they on a board entitled "Meat eater, Vegetarian or Vegan?"

If you don't want to read studies about how to prevent chronic illnesses, and not be fat or have diabetes, why are you not open to reading academic studies?

The only think I can believe is that you just want to feel good about what you eat, no matter how bad your diet is.
  • SueGremlin
    Options

Exactly what kind of discussion about diets doesn't involve talking about the relative merits of different diets? And who are you to call people jerks? Ever do any research on diets? Or on anything?
    Talking and attempting to control what people do are two very different things. You might want to practice a bit of diplomacy.
    By the way, you must burn a lot of calories jumping to conclusions.

I am mainly a vegetarian myself, and have a Master's degree in biology.
  • kuzurichan
    kuzurichan Posts: 134
    Options
    Omnivore here! :)
  • SueGremlin
    Options
    I'm seeing a bit of a negative vegan/vegetarian conversation going on... but just to add my views, i'm vegan (been vegetarian since birth, vegan for over 3 years) and happy! I make sure to try and hit all of my goals (calories, protein, vitamin B12, calcium, as well as taking iron supplements)- I believe that a lot of vegans, in fact most vegans, are more healthy than those who eat meat (more referring to those not on MFP!) because living the vegan lifestyle makes you aware of what you're eating and what your choices are.
    I've never been a militant vegan, and don't want to be. I get a little frustrated when I have non vegan friends waving chicken wings about in my face saying 'go on eat it!' or being told that people can't stand listening to vegan 'propaganda' when us vegans are surrounded by meat and dairy... I went shopping in a real supermarket for the first time in a long time (I normally get my food shop delivered) and there are just aisles after aisles of meat, fish, dairy.
    I also don't like people who say things like 'humans are supposed to eat meat, because of -insert popular wrong belief here- 'just eat some steak' 'but bacon tastes so good' blah blah blah. It's plain disrespectful. For me, being vegan isn't a taste based decision!
    However I do LOVE people who are interested in finding out about veganism... I turned vegan when I was 16 and had a lot of people who thought I was 'weird' or 'stupid' at college for doing it. However I appreciate when people want to educate themselves about why i'm vegan or learn about vegan products- if meat eaters take the time to just check out some documentaries (like Earthlings!), or read an article about it, then they're becoming more informed of the facts (because it is fact based, not opinion based). I'm not asking everyone in the world to go vegan, just to be open minded about it (:

Also, vegan food can be SO good. My boyfriend eats meat and loves a lot of the food I make.

edit: sorry for such a long post! :3
    Very well said. It is disrespectful of carnivores AND vegetarians to attempt to shove their diets down the throats of others. It's something I never understood.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I think everything in moderation. I would love to be a vegan (due to my pagan lifestyle)..but it's not going to happen. I don't sit around and torment myself over it. I HAVE to have meat. I literally was getting ill while trying to avoid meat. Now I eat in MODERATION. I don't eat as much meat as I used to but I do eat it.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Why do you care so much about what other people eat? As long as it's not your pet or your relative leave them the **** alone.

Again, if people do not want to talk about dietary choices why are they on a board entitled "Meat eater, Vegetarian or Vegan?"

If you don't want to read studies about how to prevent chronic illnesses, and not be fat or have diabetes, why are you not open to reading academic studies?

The only think I can believe is that you just want to feel good about what you eat, no matter how bad your diet is.
    Hello Pot, meet Kettle.
  • Justa_Paperbag
    Justa_Paperbag Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescetarian for 14 years now - that's basically a way of saying that I'm not "quite" vegetarian, because I do eat fish and shellfish, where a vegetarian obviously does not. Truthfully, that came about because while I do love seafood and would be willing to give it up, I'm finding myself severely limited when eating at restaurants, and discovered that by adding fish back into my diet, I was able to make healthy choices. There seem to be a lot of restaurants where the only thing that is vegetarian on the menu is either a salad (and let's face it - while salad is wonderful and can be a great meal, it's not ALWAYS something you want to eat when you go out) or something fried like cheese sticks or fries, onion rings, etc - not very healthy. Most places do have broiled fish though, so I at least have an alternative if I'm not in the mood for a salad, and they don't offer any other options.

It's not that I have a moral problem with those who eat meat - in fact, I cook it for my family. However, it makes me very ill, so I don't eat it. Once in a very great while, I will indulge in a good burger, but I end up being sick and miserable for 2 or so days afterward, so it's a very special occasion when I'll do that.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    Vegans have the same life expectancy and risk of disease as omnivores.

That is pure crap! Cite some studies that even come close to saying that! You can't because your head is too far up to know what you aere talking about.

There are plenty of studies that say the opposite. I can give you cites if you want, but you probably aren't able to read them and understand them. So here is a small overview:

:People who eat meat are more likely to have higher cholesterol because cholesterol is only present in animal-based foods, including meat, eggs and dairy products. High cholesterol can increase your chances of developing heart disease, which can, of course, shorten your life span. According to a 2006 article in "Life Extension" magazine, eating meat can also increase the risk of developing certain cancers, such as colon cancer, as well as kidney stones and gallstones.

Meat Consumption

A 2003 report published in the "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition" analyzed six different studies to try to establish whether vegetarians live longer. The report found that low meat consumption decreases risk of death and increases life expectancy. In fact, research shows that reducing meat consumption can increase your life span by 3.6 years. The same report showed that societies with plant-based diets are more likely to live past 70 years of age."

Your pseudoscientific rambling and cherry picked (and misinterpreted) data isn't fooling anybody, just like it hasn't fooled anybody every other time you've gone on and on with your condescending preachiness.

No, I can't fool the idiots, because they know better. Of course everyone knows that the Journal of the British Heart Association, the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Science and Nature are just pseudo scientific journals. Right.

I sure can't fool you clever ones!

As for what I'm doing here, if you'd actually bother to read the thread before spouting your nonsense you'd know I've already spoken about my dietary choices. Anyway, do us all a favor, and drop the ridiculously childish passive aggressive behavior, it's really quite pathetic.

Just like your anti-scientific babblings.
  • chrren
    chrren Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I eat meat, but not so often. Maybe around twice a week, but this is only because it's so expensive. If it wasn't, I would probably eat it more often.