it's 2013, why are women playing mother to their husbands?

Options
I do NOT understand.
I get it if he works late, and you are home earlier or stay at home. What I DO NOT get is making two separate meals, or even more for kids. Eating healthy should be a great new plan for the whole family.

You are not your husbands mother.

http://youareagrownman.com/2010/07/21/know-how-to-cook/
http://*****ielife.necole*****ie.com/2011/03/stop-coddling-grown-men/

Kids should learn early to enjoy and like healthy food; or it's a vicious cycle. They will have trouble liking them later in life.
Try starting a husband who can't on something like this
http://www.amazon.com/Paula-Deens-My-First-Cookbook/dp/1416950338/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1360038617&sr=8-4&keywords=my+first+cookbook
or
http://www.amazon.com/Man-Can-Plan-Great-Meals/dp/1579546072/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360038663&sr=1-2&keywords=my+first+cookbook+microwave

I'm sorry.

Replies

• Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    Options
    My husband can not cook at all and I can guarantee you that he has no desire to ever learn how! If I don't feel like cooking, he grabs the jar of peanut butter and a spoon. Or a bowl of cereal. Or a microwaveable. Whatever, it doesn't bother me so I'm not sure why it bothers you. :shrug:

ETA: I grew up in a family where my dad was the WAY better cook and my brothers learned to use the stove by age 7. I'm not in the dark ages by any means, I just happen to have a husband who can't even boil an egg without tragic results! :P
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I make one meal and if he isn't home he heats it up later on.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Who are you even directing this toward?

My husband does all the cooking in our house. He loves to cook and I hate it.
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth not every man is like that. I do 90 % of the cooking at home, and that's for a wife with a medically restricted diet and two kids ages five and three.
  • lilcupcake213
    lilcupcake213 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I'm going to assume you don't have kids and you're not married.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Last time my dearly beloved tried to boil water, he started a fire. I'd prefer he not try again.
  • Stacyplus5
    Options
    I do all the cooking because I love to cook\!
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options

I'm Married, and my wife and I share those responsibilities in the house. We either make separate meals, or share cooking responsibilities during the week/weekend. Of course, I don't believe just because she has boobs she is my servant and I can't figure out how to cook or clean.
  • Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    Options
    Last time my dearly beloved tried to boil water, he started a fire. I'd prefer he not try again.

lol! Yep!
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    different strokes for different folks
  • SleepingBeauty12345
    Options
    my personal opinion is that yes famnily should eat what is madde for them just out of pure respect! however,im very much a shovenist.lol i think the wife should take care of her hubby and chidren by preparing meals.if shes able.
  • JessWolf1002
    JessWolf1002 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yeah this definitely does not apply to me! My husband does the majority of the cooking and also does 50% of the cleaning. He also gives the kids baths every night so that I can have some quiet time for myself. Oh, and hes in the military on top of all that! I love that he's not like a lot of other Soldiers that we know and comes home, plays video games for 5 hours and won't help with the kids or around the house. Yep, I'm spoiled and I LOVE it!
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    My husband can cook. His mother-not so much. She didn't like cooking, but fed them enough to grow up on. I love to cook. I would rather eat my cooking than his. I cook, he cleans. If I don't cook, he can cook for himself or he can eat something not cooked. At lunch, we each cook our own. He cooks breakfast for himself since I don't eat brreakfast. If we have guests, I cook breakfast and he eats whatever I cook for them.

I guess it's complicate around here, LOL! When my kids were growing up, I cooked one meal for evceryone. Whoever wanted to eat it, fine. If not, they were free to eat elsewhere. Nobody was coddled at my house, except (according to my children) the dogs and the cat. When my Dad was alive and came to visit, I cooked lasagne for him by request. My mother cooked every day for him. He could open a can of Vienna sausages. His second wife purchased his favorite tv dinners. I'm not sure which of them used the microwave to hot up the food.

Lots of ways to work it.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

I'm Married, and my wife and I share those responsibilities in the house. We either make separate meals, or share cooking responsibilities during the week/weekend. Of course, I don't believe just because she has boobs she is my servant and I can't figure out how to cook or clean.

Can I have a servant with boobs?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I agree with you from a personal standpoint, about my life and my relationship goals.

I don't agree with starting threads just to judge other people's relationships. I think everyone can make their own choices about who does what in relationships. Judging gender roles for others based on your own preconceived notions is wrong.
  • Shabadu
    Shabadu Posts: 211
    Options
    Get bent with your generalizations and accusations.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Oh, and hes in the military on top of all that!
    Thank you for your's and your husband's service.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Is this in response to the threads where people are blaming their SO's for not being able to eat right and such?
  • jha1223
    jha1223 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Who are you even directing this toward?

I think I know a situation that this is directed at. My sister makes food for her and her husband. She also makes something different for her two boys who are 6 and 3 (mostly chicken strips or some variation) and sometimes a different meal for her and her husband.

She is a stay at home mom and pretty much does all of the family cooking and care.

My opinion? Quite accommodating to both kids and spouse. The kids need to be introduced to new foods or they will never find anything that they like. That is under mom's control as she is the one cooking for them. As far as her husband, she needs to tell him what she is planning on making. Sure, be somewhat considerate, but he's a grown man and shouldn't expect her to make whatever he wants whenever he wants it. It is downright sad.

My wife and I mostly cook separate. We have enough differences in what we like to eat that it makes sense. She will tell me though, "I'm making swordfish tomorrow so you are on your own." It works amazingly well.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I don't make two meals...we do eat a little later because family dinner time is important to us.

But if he came home really late, I wouldn't hesitate to make him dinner. Our marriage is like that. He would do the same for me. He is my best friend :) And, we have been married for 14.5 years, so obviously we are doing something right!!