Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    So -- Monday check-in a day late because of my little holiday. I've lost a pound -- it was a pretty active weekend with lots of walking, cycling, swimming, dancing and so on. So, yay! Only two pounds now to that 60lb marker, and I can just see the little woman on my tracker is definitely over that half way mark now.

Tuesday goals -- need to remember to get my blood test. And I did lots of tidying up and sorting out last week so I'd like to continue that.

Lots of people are reporting SVs this week, so well done all! I do think May's a good time for lots of us, with good weather and lots of opportunities.

@Tracy -- sorry to hear about your son's troubles at school. My son is 12 and has been finding it hard -- but I think things are getting a bit better now. He was really well-behaved (well, comparatively) on holiday this weekend. I think one of the things that helped us keep it in perspective was chatting to friends who are educators -- who consistently stressed that lots of boys have these sorts of problems and our son wasn't particularly difficult compared to many.
    @Beth -- oh, i think adventure holidays for plus-size people is a great idea!
    @Kris -- you might want to look for second-hand bike dealers in your area. The advantage of a dealer is that they can make sure your bike fits you really well, and set it all up right for you. My husband does our day to day maintenance, but we still buy our bikes from dealers, not from private sellers. (Actually, we did once buy a tandem from a listing, and that worked out ok, but it had only been ridden for about 20 miles! It was nearly new.)
    @Kaye -- I really hope I get a defined waist one day -- I'm still determinedly apple shaped... and CONGRATULATIONS on ONEDERLAND!!! Isn't that great?!
    @Laurie -- I guess your trainer's just chicken! And well done for getting to the tops of those walls!
    Welcome newlings! @vaquera -- I have never ever given up the stuff I love to eat -- I just eat a bit less of it and maybe not quite so often. @annaldora -- I'm 47 and honestly I haven't found it significantly harder than I remember it being when I was younger. The trick has been to take lots and lots of exercise.
    @Karen -- well done for your brilliant 8k!
    @Tammy -- I think you should just focus on consistency and the overall journey rather than trying to lose lots. I'm sure your husband will be delighted with what you've achieved already.
    @Kelley -- I'm the most useless Fitbit wearer ever -- forgot it two days this weekend, for example. I like it when I've got it though because it remembers when I spend ages cooking, or pop to the shops.

Hope you're all having a great day!

-- Alison
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Skinny - I hope you get all your grading done. This rush towards the end of the school year must have everyone hyper at school. Congrats on your race results - you did wonderful. And great going on your various walks. I haven't been using my pedometer, don't know where I am on the LOTR walk.

Kah - good luck with the Dr. today - hope you're released to more activity!

Des - thanks for your thoughts on procrastination. I'm having a day like that right now! I've been playing "internet procrastination" (doodling on Pinterest, Facebook, etc) rather than moving on with my day. Sorry to hear you have an ear infection - hope the meds help you recover quickly. I love your picture, btw.

I have 3 errands to run, then need to get home and straighten the house before a friend gets here at 3:30. We're going to a college reception, then to dinner then out for drinks. I expect to go over calories today so am shorting myself the rest of the week. I want to have a loss this week!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    @Des - That's an awesome prize for the Derby party!
    @Robin - I'm an obsessed horse person. My dad was BIG on hitting the feed lot sales and picking up broken horses and we would rehabilitate them. He of course was in it for the cash of picking up dirt cheap horses, giving them to me, and then selling them for 3X what he paid. I loved fixing them (mind AND body) and sending them to a good home. I am an AVID horse race watcher, but when it comes to the Triple Crown..... I just don't see any bloodlines out there that would support a Triple Crown Winner. THey've changed the breed so much that imo, they just don't have the stamina to do it...not to mention that they breed them so light boned that they break down before they get to a solid mature age. If I could afford to get into breeding, I'd go find some old school style Thoroughbreds and start from scratch....rebuilding the style of horse was what was running in the 1940s-1970s. Build a solid stock from there and stop thinking of them as 'disposable' machines to be gotten rid of when they can't run anymore. Ok, off my soap box.
    @Laruie - WOW! What an asshat..... as I see it you have three choices. Either confront him wiht it and get it off your chest (although I don't see him giving a darn that he made you angry...or even understanding why you would be angry), finding a new trainer, or letting it go and know that aside from doing what he says in the gym regarding your training you can't really have any more of a 'relationship' with him as a friend since he doesn't seem to be a very trustworthy person.
    @Des - I'm sorry about your ear. I hope it gets better quick!
    @Robin - Did I miss a post about what dog that is in your picture? It's a real cutie!!
    @Skinny - You did AMAZING in your 8K..great job!!

Tuesday goals. Keep to my calorie goal. I've reset it and I DID go over yesterday by 100 calories....but my challenge doesn't start until today so I didn't sweat it too bad (and it was good calories, not empty junk).

I WANT my calorie deficit to be 8750 a week for the next 8 weeks. Aside from my food that means i have to burn 3290 calories from exercise (that's what is left after I subtract my food deficit from the 8750)... roughly 470 a day. I haven't exercise in a while so that's going to be pushing it for the first few weeks. I expect exhaustion, crankiness, and serious hunger for a few weeks..... if it seems like I can't handle it, I'll up my calories a bit...but I'd like ot see that deficit for the challenge. That will give me about 20lb loss and get me back below my lowest MFP weight (and get my clothes lose again..darnit).
  • MommaRobs
    MommaRobs Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    New to this post. Getting re-started on the journey. I guess my goal for this week would be to do the daily food and exercise journal, even if it is bad (or naughty) day.
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    MowMow - I agree with what you say about modern thoroughbred horses - they are huge motors with lungs on pin legs. It was a tragedy when Barbarosa had his leg broken during the races a few years ago. I am just mad for horses and have a collection of statues thru-out my home. One statue is from a racing trophy from the 70's. You can look at this one and see the difference in the musculature of the horses back then and the horses racing today. I think you are 100% on when you wish to breed back to the 70's for good racers again! Those were the true Triple Crown Winners!

The dog in the picture is an adopted dog my girlfriend got last friday. I went with her on a six hour drive to pick it up at a shelter for abandoned animals. Its name is Milo and its adjusting to its new home very well.
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. I was super cranky when I got up this morning and the internet was down. It took them about five hours to get it up and running. I went to the gym and did my weight training circuit earlier then expected because of it but hey at least I got it done. I was doing some of the machines thinking to myself why does this feel so much harder today, I must be really tired. Then I got home and was inputting it and realized the weight had been upped on three of them. The program periodically ups the weight amount when you have shown several days of consistent reps of 15. So the sneaky things had gone up 5 pounds on me and I didnt even notice when I was looking at the sheet. I have come up with a new plan or goal I am starting this week. I go to the gym 3 days a week and do zumba and the other 3 I do strength and then cardio. Well the new plan is to go do my circuit on weights day but then come home and do one really labor intensive chore that needs to be done around the house while wearing my hrm. This way I am killing two birds with one stone. An example being today I am going to mop, oil, and buff my hardwood floors. It usually takes about two hours and I definitley work up a sweat when i am doing it. I figure I will go with this at least until the mile long list of things to do around the house gets done:laugh: Congrats to all the scale victories this week and welcome to the new people I saw. Well time to get off my butt grab a big glass of water and get busy. Have a great day everyone:drinker: :drinker: :heart:
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Still skimming through the posts, so sorry if I miss something.

Tuesday Goals:
    Pretty much just grading and trying to keep a handle on the eating. It's not helping that this week is Frappaccino Happy Hour--half price Fraps from 3-5 everyday! :noway:

Grading goals:
    1. x/13 AP analysis activities
    2. x/47 Lit Theory papers

Tomorrow is a curriculum writing day, so a break from the kiddos while I'm in meetings all day.

I don't care where I'm at with the grading--I'm taking tomorrow off to go to the gym!! Have been walking gunner and doing some gardening while my running muscles recover from the 8k, but I'm ready for a big calorie burn!
  • MyM0wM0w
    Options
    Robin, that is one of my ultimate goals by next summer..to FINALLY get back on a horse. I rode(and competed) all my life all the way through college, then I felt I was too heavy and just stopped riding. My horse, Danni, went with me to college as a 4 year old (from NJ to Va) then back to NJ.... then out here to Oregon where he passed in his late 20s (so were were together a LONG time). I hadn't ridden him in .... almost 10 years because I felt I was too heavy for him. He was just a pasture potato I paid board on and couldn't ever part with him. I'd just go over to the barn and take him for walks on the leadrope to graze and hang out.

Really looking forward to riding and getting back into it, in fact I think that might be the perfect reward for my goal weight. A set of 10 or so lessons at the local barn (since I doubt I could ever afford my own horse again).
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Grading goals:
    1. 13/13 AP analysis activities DONE
    2. x/47 Lit Theory papers

I had one of those great "teacher moments" at school today. One of my students was gathering his things after class and he said "Ms. Marchand, I'm loving this book!!" We are reading The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. It's usually a popular read, but I had just listened to a couple of other kids complain about how they found the syntax boring, so it was nice to hear the enthusiasm and joy in this boy's voice. He's a pretty creative kid and is kind of a slacker unless he's really challenged--I'm actually moving him to AP next year b/c of that. Today was a nice reminder that I made a good decision with the move for him--I really hope I get him in class next year, but if not, I know he'll do well in the other AP teacher's class.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your comments regarding my trainer. I am so happy that you share my thoughts and that he was chicken. Even my friend Joe, said he was Chicken tonight when I told him the story about the trainer. He also told me that email doesn't just get hung up and that if he can't be delivered you get a message saying undeliverable-- no such message was received. I will most likely explore other options at the gym.

I am putting off grading papers tonight and tomorrow I need to write my sub plans for the next two day.

My goal is to enjoy the trip to NYC. I might go to the gym tomorrow but if I don't it will be okay since I will spend the next two days walking miles.

MoMowMOw- I love the horseback riding goal. That is one thing that I want to try on a regular basis. I have always loved horses but have never taken lessons.

jt-It is amazing how 5 lbs. makes a world of difference when lifting. The increase is good since it will make your muscles work harder.
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Super busy day of travel. Vegas to Chicago to Philly. I'm here until Friday. I made pretty good choices throughout the day, but dinner was a little high (pecan crusted trout with peach salsa and cilantro-lime slaw). It was really yummy though. Oh well. Tomorrow is a new day. Limited time this week, but I'll try to check in when I can.

Keep logging and try to move!!!
  • MyM0wM0w
    Options
    Had the first weight loss challenge meeting tonight and weighed in. It wasn't as bad as I thought considering it was the end of the day with 2 meals and 2 snacks plus over a gallon of water in me... and my shoes/clothes on.

They had an hour talk after the weigh in and the Dr went over the basics of weight loss. Pretty simple stuff that you'd pick upon any weight loss site but important enough that I was thrilled he was hitting the points.

What irritated the living carp out of me was all the people chatting away while he talked. HELLO!! Aren't you here to listen? Maybe learn why that folding chair is sagging to the ground under you? Pay freaking attention and STOP talking so I can hear him. Also, a LOT of these people came in late. They had to disrupt the talk by walking past all of us sitting and listening (of course talking as they walkd by) to get to the back where people were being weighed. UGH... now I remember why I don't do group activities.... groups are STUPID. Ok, rant over. I met some nice people (one who works on my campus) and she said she was starting a FB page a small group of people for the challenge and took my name to add me.

Day 1 under calories WITH exercise... DONE
  • MaryPoppinsIAint
    MaryPoppinsIAint Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Ugh, missed yesterday... But it was worth it. Baking got done, and the website is now live. I set 4 more loaves to rise tonight and mixed up a batch of dipping oil to try out at small group tomorrow night. :) Goal this week is to sell enough bread tomorrow night that I can afford to buy a big jug of extra virgin olive oil to use for dipping at the event I'm baking for on Saturday.

*blinks tiredly* Really hoping my son sleeps through tonight.I am one tired mama, and I have to bake tomorrow. 4 loaves and 2 dozen cookies. Plus I'd really like to get my garden tilled so I can plant it. Tomorrow is also Day 4 of the 30 Day Squat Challenge. 70.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @susan--safe travels! At least you had decent weather in and out of O'Hare. Aren't you coming to stay here in Chicago for a conference soon?

@laurie--have a fun time in NY!

@tammy--I know what you mean about killing 2 birds--my lawn is over-ridden with dandelions, so I've been weeding as my exercise this week.

@kris--good luck with the calorie deficit. Once school is out, I'm going to do something similar--will be burning lots of calories everyday to try to get down to (or maybe even below) my lowest weight before my trip in mid-July.

@robin--yes, the kids are all on edge b/c of AP testing, and for the seniors, finals week after next. My seniors are all freaking out b/c I have some I will only see once or twice over the next 2 weeks, and the rest want to know if they are exempt from the final exam (or, if they know they won't be exempt they want to know the essay prompt). It's a whirlwind, but it will all get done. :ohwell:

@alison--glad you enjoyed your holiday and lost a pound to boot! :drinker:

@des--sorry to hear about your ear infection, but glad you are on the mend. I loved your description of "productive procrastination." That's me to a T as work--I'll grade all of the "little" stuff, make copies, or do prep work to put off grading the longer essays. :ohwell:

@kelley--hope you get good news from the doc!

@marca--go get those shoes!! I've been through plantars fascitis and it's absolutely no fun!

@kaye--glad the knee isn't getting in the way of taking care of the grands, but I'll be even happier once you get into the doc. Hang in there--just one more week.

@tracy--good job "trading" the rest day--I do that sometimes too. :smile:

@courtney--nice to see you pop in! :flowerforyou:

@kris--great job getting back on track and losing that 10 lbs! :drinker:

@helena--I feel like I must have missed a post about your mom's prognosis, but based on what des said it sounds like you still don't have an answer about the biopsy--please keep us posted.

With all of the craziness at work, I almost forgot about the May Challenge. I'm not in any position to add new exercises or try for a pounds challenge, so new look it is! :smile:

I am in need of some summer clothes and have been intrigued by all of the colorful pants I see are the new trend. So my goal for May is to buy a new pair of capri pants in a vibrant spring shade of coral or green or maybe a bright blue. I'm definitely a "neutrals on bottom" kind of gal, so this will be a big change for me.
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    My goal right now is "one day at a time". It is always a busy day with the little ones here, but they are good. I have finally set a long-term goal, although I probably will continue with the 25# goals on my ticker. I was studying some of the sites about BMI and obesity. It looks like if I get under 150# I will no longer be obese, so that is my goal. I can handle over-weight. I've been that most of my life anyway.
    Des--I love the "productive procrastination". It is so descriptive!
    I have never cared for riding horses. There are lots of them in our area as it is a farming community. I'm not afraid of them, I just don't like to ride them. It looks hot and uncomfortable to me. I hope that those of you who want to ride will get the chance.
    Alison--good job losing on vacation.
    Susan--I am wondering what your son does when you are traveling for work. I hope that you have a good productive trip.
    Have a good night. Kaye
  • suzee71
    suzee71 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Well I haven't posted very much lately but I have been keeping up with everyone. We are trying to finish up on a kitchen remodel nightmare that started last August. We had a pipe break inside our cement slab. What genius ever thought to run pipe through the middle of concrete was a moron. Anyway to those struggling I hope things improve for you and those making progress, woo hoo.

I hope to be on and posting more regular in the next few weeks,

Thanks for all the inspiration!
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Good Morning.

@MaryPoppins~Great job with the baking, glad you got your website up & running too! I love to cook/bake, especially finding recipes and turning them into a healthier option.

@Kris~That is one of the things that drove me crazy when I went to WW meetings – either people having their own side conversations while you’re trying to listen to the leader or people that dominated the conversation. You have some great goals for the challenge and are off to a GREAT start!

@Tammy~Sounds like the Y has a similar set-up to a gym in this area called Koko Fit Club, all of the workouts are customized – you have a key fob you insert into the machine and it runs through a customized routine for you (including cardio). Pretty cool – takes out the guess work of changing your routine.

@Karen~One of those moments that makes it all worthwhile, right? It’s good to see that kind of enthusiasm come out in kids – it’s so rare. Did you see that The Great Gatsby is coming to the big screen? I think it opens this month, I’m sure they can’t do justice to the book though.

@Des~”Productive Procrastination,” my motto! LOL

@Susan~Safe travels, my friend!

@Laurie~Have a fabulous trip to NYC!

Wednesday Wish~That my doc had told me yesterday that I could start running again, but no he had to rain on my parade. :sad: The good news is that he said my Achilles IS healing, it’s just going to take a long a time – patience is NOT my strongest virtue!

Another busy day here, guess I better get back to it…
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    In case you missed me :laugh: , I'm baaaccckkk!

I survived the ablation (obviously), something I've been dreading for several years! Thank you God, and all who encouraged and prayed for me! In many ways it was better and worse than I imagined, but with help from above and my Drs., I will never need to do this again (please). Months of anxiety eating and remorse hopefully are behind me, and I can move on. If I stay in sinus rhythm, after a few months, maybe I can even get off the Pradaxa and anti-arrhythmics!!! Wow--no more :brokenheart: !

Meanwhile, no real exercise or weight training until cleared by Dr. in June, but on Friday I'll meet with my trainer for some gentle Pilates. Might start walking for a few minutes in the a.m. and p.m. Still have lumps (possible clots) in the groin/femoral arteries, so have to be a slug. (Sadly, slugs like to eat:frown: Just ate a small mountain of sunflower seeds and raisins.)

Trying to catch up with all your news--
    Congrats, Kaye, on your big victory! Doing seated happy dance for you.
    Laurie: Although it's great your frustration with your trainer is motivating, I say fire him! You employ HIM. He's cavalier about his duties. Apparently he doesn't need to work. Grant him his wish.
    Welcome to newbies--MaryPoppins, the smell of baking bread is the best perfume ever! Oh the temptation. How do you bear it?
    Everyone else, may the force be with you! (Just saw new Star Wars commercial--sorry!)
    Thanks for your past support.

Marsha, happy to be alive!!!:flowerforyou:
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Wednesday Wish: That the scale would just move again in a downward motion. I don't need to see big losses, just SOME loss. I've actually been doing really good for the past 3 weeks as far as both food and exercise, but not really seeing it on the scale. I know that I need to be patient, but -- that's not my best attribute. :grumble: My beach vacation starts August 8th and I really would like to lose 20-25 pounds by then.

@ lauriek -- enjoy your trip to NYC (I'm jealous -- when I was in school my field trips were to the state capital and the bakery :cry: )

@skinnyjeans -- you are doing such a good job with your exercise...good luck with the eating, not smoking and grading

@Des -- hmmm, productive procrastination??? Usually my procrastination isn't productive :blushing:

@Alison -- great job -- 60 be on your ticker before you know it based on how well you are doing. keep it up!:flowerforyou:

@RobinsEgg -- good job in preplanning your week to include an "over the calorie" day.

@jtconst -- good for you for getting the extra 5 pounds done...that's impressive!

@MyMOwMOw -- People can be so rude....I'm a big believer in giving people like that the evil eye (although because they usually don't see anything wrong in their behavior, they don't change, but I feel better :laugh: )

@MaryPoppins -- glad you are getting your to do list done...what is the website address? Can I check it out? :bigsmile:

@grandmakaye -- that's a good philosphy -- one day at a time

@grammywhammy -- glad your ablation was successful. Now the patient part of recovery.

My daughter was invited to a picnic for her reading group last night. Luckily it was a drop and pick up scenario so I was able to have my husband drop her off on his way to work and I got to go to 3/4 of a Zumba class before it was time to pick her up. That might be my only gym time this week as we have haircuts, sax lessons and a baseball game tonight and then I leave on Thursday afternoon for a long weekend. I'll be at a friend's farm for her son's graduation and I'm a bit nervous about getting in exercise as we're going to be busy cleaning/decorating for the party.
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    jt - way to go on the increased activity at the gym! You are doing sooooo great! Keep it up -you are an inspiration!

MowMow - I like your goal weight idea of riding lessons - I hope you start saving for it - get a little piggy bank and start putting your quarters or whatever in it from your daily change - I started doing that and i have quite a bit of change saved already - funny how it adds up fast - I think its a great reward for you when you reach your goal weight!
    Best of luck on your weight loss challenge. I agree people can be real doofuses in a large group - sorry you had to put up with them! I think you will do great!

skinny -- nice that you were rewarded with that boy's enthusiasm about your book choice! I hope he does end up in your class next year!

Laurie - now that you know email does get through you have the option of sending him an email delineating how you feel. THat gives you a chance to explain your feelings without choking up, if you want to, if you think it worth your while.
    I hope you have a great time in the big city - enjoy your walks!!!

MaryPoppins - it sounds amazing that you can bake bread and other goodies and diet at the same time - congrats to you. Sorry you are sleep deprived! Keep trying on your squat challenge!

g-kaye - Its awfully nice to think about weighing 150 isn't it? WOW :love:

Kah - I'm so sorry you don't get to run yet! Are you still wearing the boot?

Grammy - I'm so happy to hear you're doing well after your ablation! :flowerforyou: Its great to hear the anxiety eating is behind you and your down to munching on healthy snacks now! Really a month of enforced quiet is not that long - you can do your Pilates and gently work through the month until your next Drs. appt. Take care of yourself!

tih - if the weight is not coming off you MIGHT have to cut your calories a bit more....

I am doing well. I am staying under calories every day. I am not getting much exercise other than daily activities but what's new? I didn't go out last night as planned as my girlfriend cancelled due to an upset stomach so I was spared the ordeal of eating out and drinking at a bar and possibly going over my cals yesterday. Planning on going to Iron Man 3 this Thursday.