Embarrassed to go jogging because of pervs.

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I've been cat called by a group of women before. They weren't at a construction site they were in a limo celebrating something I can only assume to be a bachelorette party. So it really does go both ways. This isn't a male vs. female thing.

Also since you brought up entitlement what makes you the voice for all other women?

Oh please.

A guy being catcalled by a group of women has 100% never had to worry about those women dragging him off the street, throwing him into a van and gang raping him.

No man has ever had to fear for his safety by women shouting something at him in the street. Unless she was armed, or trying to drive over him, which is far less likely.

:huh:

But, but, my life is so much harder than yours!!!!!! :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • JuliaLee67
    JuliaLee67 Posts: 149
    Options
    I run through an extensive hospital zone (a city hospital and lots of satellite doctor's offices and other medical buildings) that's spread out over a few blocks, with several busy streets I need to cross on the route. I was standing on the curb waiting for the light to change and a guy pulled up in a car and said "Ooooh gurl, where you goin'?" and I said, "To the VD clinic...you?" He drove off. :happy:

Don't be embarrassed about weirdos yelling things at you, OP. Just be aware of your surroundings and enjoy your workout.
  • Jchambers1130
    Jchambers1130 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Might be that same perv that helps call 911 when you break your ankle running. Chill out, a honk isn't going to kill you.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You could balloon up to 300lbs they dont whistle at you anymore and you're pretty much safe to go down any dark alley you want. Fat is a great defensive armor. I went from a scared eleven year old (pervy old men whistling at a child :mad: ) to a confident old obese woman thanks to fat.

Fat women get raped too.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

When you get older it is nice to be noticed, but the Op is a teenager. I'm sure you remember how overwhelming the amount of "attention" is as a teenager.

BP, I am not trying to make a hobby out of taking an opposing stance as you. In this case, my experience as a teenager was much different. There is a main road where I grew up where the teenage girls liked to walk in order to get attention. If you honked, they smiled and waved. And I met a couple of my past girlfriends that way. Pull over, exchange numbers, etc.

I just don't view this is a big epidemic. The issue is with the OP's self esteem. Not with guy's honking their horn.

I can see it being an issue with the Op's self esteem also. She has the feelings and I hope she can find a way to work past them and not have it hold her back. I think that self defense would help with her comfort and confidence, even if she (hopefully) never has to use it. I think it's better to take self-defense than to hide. I am a rape survivor, but I still have not let that cause me to be fearful.
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I'm just embarrassed bc I suck so terribly bad at jogging not bc of "Pervs"..... Besides pervs are EVERYWHERE and not always noticeable. Happy Jogging :)
  • Jchambers1130
    Jchambers1130 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You could balloon up to 300lbs they dont whistle at you anymore and you're pretty much safe to go down any dark alley you want. Fat is a great defensive armor. I went from a scared eleven year old (pervy old men whistling at a child :mad: ) to a confident old obese woman thanks to fat.

Fat women get raped too.

Come on i'm at work I can't laugh that loud...
  • thisgirlhere
    thisgirlhere Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Running whilst listening to music seems really dangerous to me. Am I the only person who would worry about not hearing a kidnapper van screech up behind me to take me away?

I say just ignore them. Might make them feel stupid if you ignore them.
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options

When you get older it is nice to be noticed, but the Op is a teenager. I'm sure you remember how overwhelming the amount of "attention" is as a teenager.

BP, I am not trying to make a hobby out of taking an opposing stance as you. In this case, my experience as a teenager was much different. There is a main road where I grew up where the teenage girls liked to walk in order to get attention. If you honked, they smiled and waved. And I met a couple of my past girlfriends that way. Pull over, exchange numbers, etc.

I just don't view this is a big epidemic. The issue is with the OP's self esteem. Not with guy's honking their horn.

I can see it being an issue with the Op's self esteem also. She has the feelings and I hope she can find a way to work past them and not have it hold her back. I think that self defense would help with her comfort and confidence, even if she (hopefully) never has to use it.

I agree with you. I saw a post earlier where someone questioned how dad's would feel about this happening to their daughters. I would tell my daughter if someone honks at her, to take it as a compliment. If someone says something crude, just ignore it and continue her jog. If someone stops to harrass her, use whatever martial arts move she deems appropriate.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    wow... started at page one... scared to run because someone may whistle... to this page... where attractive female will be yanked off the path and gang raped. In a van no less. WOW

Running in a secluded place where no one will cat call is a heck of a lot more dangerous than running in a well lit, highly traveled area. Consider each cat call as to a validation that you're doing ok.

Or put in your earphones, do your thing, and don't even look at the people passing by.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I can see it being an issue with the Op's self esteem also. She has the feelings and I hope she can find a way to work past them and not have it hold her back. I think that self defense would help with her comfort and confidence, even if she (hopefully) never has to use it.

I agree with you. I saw a post earlier where someone questioned how dad's would feel about this happening to their daughters. I would tell my daughter if someone honks at her, to take it as a compliment. If someone says something crude, just ignore it and continue her jog. If someone stops to harrass her, use whatever martial arts move she deems appropriate.

My first reaction to the thread was that it was absurd and ridiculous. But, then I saw that she is a teenager.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    wow... started at page one... scared to run because someone may whistle... to this page... where attractive female will be yanked off the path and gang raped. In a van no less. WOW

Taking everything too literally much?
    No one is suggesting that someone whistling at you automatically means you're going to be dragged off the street and gang raped.

That's a response to a guy who thinks that because he isn't creeped out by women heckling him, that all women should be feeling the same sense of safety and write it off.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

I've been cat called by a group of women before. They weren't at a construction site they were in a limo celebrating something I can only assume to be a bachelorette party. So it really does go both ways. This isn't a male vs. female thing.

Also since you brought up entitlement what makes you the voice for all other women?

Oh please.

A guy being catcalled by a group of women has 100% never had to worry about those women dragging him off the street, throwing him into a van and gang raping him.

No man has ever had to fear for his safety by women shouting something at him in the street. Unless she was armed, or trying to drive over him, which is far less likely.

No man, EVER? You checked?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    If I was afraid to go outside because someone ogled my goods, I'd never leave the house. Just be smart about where and when you exercise and if you're going alone, let someone know where you're going and when you'll be back. If you're really worried, take the following precautions that you're comfortable with: a dog, a can of pepper spray, a gun (with proper permits, use knowledge etc), a running buddy or whatever else you feel you need.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

No one is suggesting that someone whistling at you automatically means you're going to be dragged off the street and gang raped.

That's a response to a guy who thinks that because he isn't creeped out by women heckling him, that all women should be feeling the same sense of safety and write it off.

That IS what you suggested though. In your original comment you said 'no man has ever feared getting dragged off into a hite van and getting gang raped' therefore implying that because a woman has been cat called the next step is to kidnap and gang rape her.

Unless you're admitting that, that would indeed be an irrational fear?
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

why yes, I often do take things literally.

oh wait? was that not a literal question? perhaps it was rhetorical and I wasn't supposed to answer it.

oh dear, what should I do?

/sarcasm

with all due respect, I was referring to the fact that the forums tend to escalate from the common to the dramatic in a heartbeat. THAT was what I was referring to in my comment... going from whistle to rape in 8 pages.

Take everything too literally much?
  • Linkedkube
    Linkedkube Posts: 53
    Options
    Keep at it, ignore them, buy an ipod or something. I'd like to see more women getting in shape. Not saying I'd honk, but a woman taking care of her body shouldn't be messed with.
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    mp3 player, phone or ipod and earbuds, blast the music and you wont even hear those a**holes! :laugh:
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options

Oh please.

Seriously, I can't believe i just read that. Male privilege *smh*
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Whaaatt? I run outside for the pervs! Let them try to take me... Take a self defense class and run like the wind woman.
This discussion has been closed.