Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• jack_yve
    jack_yve Posts: 35
    Options
    Wednesday - Wishes, that this all was easier and that there was less sabotage in the world! I came into work today and for a b'day party people brought tons of sweets stuff, was able to eat just 2 cups of fresh cut fruit, but then I got home and my father had gone out shopping and brought enough cake for 20 people! ARGGGGGHHHHH! How do I stay strong in the face of such temptation? sighs
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Today started rough but has ended good. I have been struggling with severe constipation, but after innumerable 'cures' things are finally starting to move. :blushing: I'm sure that I will sleep better tonight.:wink:
    Today the occupational therapist worked with me on upper body strength. He said that tomorrow he would give me a routine that DH and I can do together at home. I'm pleased because I haven't really known what to do about that kind of exercise.
    Robin, I highly recommend the 'vet' tape. I don't have your problem, but am very allergic to tape. I love that stuff. It never causes a reaction and sticks only to itself.
    Have a good night. Kaye
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options

I am quite depressed today due to a continuing skin problem I am having. I have very thin skin on my forearms that tears easily. (this is very much like old peoples skin in nursing homes. Its due to the prednisone I take) Well I tore off a patch of skin a week ago and had to bandage it, and last night as I was changing the band-aid, the band-aid adhesive actually ripped off more skin and left me bleeding profusely and now I have another big patch of skin missing and am afraid to cover it for fear more adhesive will tear more skin off. I'm even afraid to shower as its so raw. I am a hot mess. I am going to a friends house for dinner tonight and I need that shower so I am going to cover it with antiseptic and saran wrap the whole thing I guess.

I shouldn't let this get me down, but I am nevertheless. I look at my arm and I feel like a leper. It look awful.

You are *not* a leper my friend!
    You are suffering from something that's very common - nurses call it "prednisone skin".. you're right, it is from the steroids. Once you get a tear, they definitely are PAINFUL - but if you can get yourself two things (1) non adherent gauze pads and (2) "cohesive" dressing - aka Coban or vet wrap. it sticks to itself, but not to you - perfect for this problem. If you can't find it at the local drugstore - try the pet supply (seriously) vets use it for critters all the time, especially horses!

Tegaderm or Opsite (another brand) are clear adhesive dressings -- good for roadrash, but very very VERY bad for skin tears....

*hugs*

Vicki - thanks for the hug :flowerforyou: I will stay away from the Tegaderm - I have purchased Kling No Hurt Wrap which does not stick to the wound but sticks to itself. I have found it DOES stick to the wound if I don't smear a thick covering of antibiotic on the wound first, and then I'm OK. I just have to wrap the stuff all the way around my arm to secure it over the wound. I've ordered 8 rolls from Amazon where its much, much cheaper, as I see me using miles of this stuff.

Exercise: I didn't exercise today. I should have planned better and got it done in the morning. Instead I spent the day running errands in high heat and humidity and wore myself out before I got it done. Toomorrow I will exercise before 5 pm.
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    Laurie - I don't wear sports bra's and haven't bought any in 3 years ! I desperately need to but am waiting for another 10 lb loss before I will break down and buy some. Glad you brought the subject up. I had just read an article about a "Bra - Lady" who owns a specialty bra shop here in Omaha (called OmaBra :wink: ) where they sell the old style Figurette type bras. These are the bras constructed entirely of fabric without underwires but are so firm they hold you up better than bras with underwires and they cost about $65 apiece. You end up with a figure like the gals on MadMen. High and pointy, but super super comfortable. I'm going to check them out.
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    Today started rough but has ended good. I have been struggling with severe constipation, but after innumerable 'cures' things are finally starting to move. :blushing: I'm sure that I will sleep better tonight.:wink:
    Today the occupational therapist worked with me on upper body strength. He said that tomorrow he would give me a routine that DH and I can do together at home. I'm pleased because I haven't really known what to do about that kind of exercise.
    Robin, I highly recommend the 'vet' tape. I don't have your problem, but am very allergic to tape. I love that stuff. It never causes a reaction and sticks only to itself.
    Have a good night. Kaye

Kaye - so glad to hear you are feeling better - especially in "that' department - which is SO essential! I'm happy your DH will participate in your rehab at home with you - that will make it that much nicer to think that your sleeping with your therapist :blushing: !
  • lmackbethl
    lmackbethl Posts: 156
    Options
    Still reading all your comments and quite inspired by your successes and perseverance, even though I've been outdoors more than in lately, so not spending a whole lot of time at the computer. Hopefully, that trend will continue! Trying to hike (an hour) and swim (an hour or two) daily, plus either bike or kayak (@45 minutes). That, plus trying to get my house and yard in order after months of neglect, plus commencing the job search (yet again), leaves little time for posting. On Sunday, I head out to backpack the Connecticut section of the Appalachian Trail (or at least most of it), with two friends who have never backpacked before -- I hope they will enjoy it. I have always backpacked with my dad and shared gear with him. Of course, my dad's still out on the Pacific Crest Trail (he has just completed over 500 miles - I'm so proud) and he has "our" stove, water filter, etc., so I had to make quite a few purchases. Gear is expensive! Plus, I am on a very limited budget. :( Oh well, I think I will use this for many years to come. The kayaks were expensive too, but they are my bliss (at least before and after summer, when swimming becomes my true bliss). In any event, I'm really excited for this trip. The last time I hit the trail was a week-long section hike of the PCT in September. I was nearly 60 pounds heavier then, had just suffered a knee injury, and was struggling through much more difficult terrain. If I enjoyed that, this should feel like a walk in the park!!!! :) Only problem is that the forecast shows daily thunderstorms. This is the only week all three of us can go, though, and we've been having daily thunderstorms for a while. They've been quick-moving, late-afternoon things, so I hope that is the pattern for next week and it's not some all-day downpour, because apparently we're going, whatever the weather. My dog, Lily, will be joining us. I bought her a backpack so I don't have to carry her food and water, and it came today. I put it on her and she seemed utterly miserable, not wanting to take any steps with it on. :( I will take her for some walks the rest of the week to try to get her used to it. I put it on my other dog, Ruckus, who is more used to wearing a harness, and she proudly strutted around in it, wondering when we were headed out. Unfortunately, Ruckus is 15 years old and can't handle such an adventure any more. She struggles a bit on our two-mile walks, but still loves them. Lily watched Ruckus wearing the backpack, but still was not at all convinced. :noway:
  • vickimieth
    vickimieth Posts: 333 Member
    Options

Vicki - thanks for the hug :flowerforyou: I will stay away from the Tegaderm - I have purchased Kling No Hurt Wrap which does not stick to the wound but sticks to itself. I have found it DOES stick to the wound if I don't smear a thick covering of antibiotic on the wound first, and then I'm OK. I just have to wrap the stuff all the way around my arm to secure it over the wound. I've ordered 8 rolls from Amazon where its much, much cheaper, as I see me using miles of this stuff.
    Amazon can certainly be a godsend :wink:

Not sure what part of Omaha you're in (and I haven't lived there in a looooonng time) - but check down by the base if you can. Stores near the base usually had a pretty good variety of things, as well as pretty decent prices (trying to compete with the commissary & exchange). Lots of times (even on Amazon) the vet wrap label will cost a lot less... because it's for pets.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @Vickie~I :heart: salads, have a different salad full of veggies every day for lunch.
    @Robin~We use that Coban self-adhesive wrap at work on our patients, instead of band-aids after a blood draw or removing IVs. We place gauze (it won’t stick like cotton balls will) over the area first and then wrap it – you might put some Mycitracin or Neosporin on your wounds, lay gauze on top and then wrap it.
    @Kaye~That problem is certainly a bad side effect to pain killers, especially narcotics (kills the pain but puts your entire system to sleep). I’m glad they got you “fixed” up and you’re feeling better – I hope you had a nice restful night of sleep.
    @Beth~You are certainly racking up those Fitbit steps! Sounds like you have a great adventure planned with your friends, I’m jealous! My friends are not very outdoorsy (unless drinking beer by the pool counts) – it’s just so hot & humid here in the summer that outdoor activities can be just miserable. Kayaking is on my bucket list, need to convince a friend I travel with to be more adventurous for an excursion when we take our 2nd Alaskan cruise next summer. I’m trying to convince her to go zip-lining in Costa Rica in March, not having much luck though! :grumble:

Exercise Goals:

Sunday~Training DONE! :happy:
    Monday~Rest Day DONE! :happy:
    Tuesday~Core work at home DONE! :happy:
    Wednesday~Training DONE! :happy:
    Thursday~Gym, HIIT on stairmill
    Friday~Rest Day
    Saturday~Gym, Arc Trainer or Swim

Have a great day & stay cool (going to be scorcher here)!
  • Sherrielsb
    Sherrielsb Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Laurie- I really like the Champion brand and the Danskin brand high impact sports bras. I am a D cup and they are both really good an minimizing the bounce.

Vickie- Love salads and that recipe sounds great. Thanks for sharing

So sorry to hear about all the injuries, my Mom has asthma and is on prednisone almost continually and would get bruises on her hands and arms from the slightest little bump. One thing she does that has helped is when she's at home she wears these wristbands- like the wrist sweat bands tennis players wear and that extra little cushion helps. Hope the healing is quick and painless as can be.

Thursday truth- I really need to clean out my closet, I have clothes that I haven't worn in so long that once I am back in that size its not likely they will be in style. I'm not exactly a hoarder but I am a bit of an excessive collector. My reality TV vice of choice are-Hoarders and Pretty Wicked Moms. I think its because after I see how dysfunctional these people are it makes be feel better about myself. Of course no one else likes those shows so I have to watch them when they replay late at night or no one is home. Wish I had a DVR and could record it.

I got up early and made it to jazzercise, I'm at class #87 for the year so far. After 150 we get a "free" t shirt.

Have a good day and drink up!!:drinker:
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @sherrie--Hoarders also makes me feel better about my minimal (in comparison) clutter. :laugh:

@kelley--I may go zip-lining on my trip to Switzerland--depends on where we take our side-trips and the cost. If not there, it's definitely on my bucket list.

@beth--wow--sounds like a great hiking trip! I will cross my fingers that the weather is good for you guys. My dog would love wearing a backpack--he loves anything that gives him a "job" to do on our walks: carrying, pulling, herding--he's happiest when he has a purpose. It's gotta be the German Shepherd in him.

@kaye--glad you are feeling better! :flowerforyou:

@laurie--I am a C and used to be a D. I don't find that any particular brand of sports bra is preferable, but I like the type that have some sort of separation between "the girls." One that I own is "scrunched" in the middle with a piece of elastic that itched like crazy, so I just wear it inside out. I also find a material that's TOO stretchy just doesn't do the trick. I have a couple of Nike cotton ones that I like. I also like Columbia brand. As kelley mentioned, the pull on kind can be stubborn (especially to take off), but I learned a technique where you pull it off from under one arm. Raise your right arm and use your left hand to pull from underneath the right arm. You grip from the bottom edge of the bra and kind of snake your right elbow through as you pull up with the left hand. This works much better than trying to take it off from the front underneath the "girls."

@jacky--it's tough when people put goodies tight in front of you--great job sticking to the fruit! :drinker:

@vickie--I also love salads, but I hate the prep work. :ohwell:

@tom--I was also having a hard time with all of the snacking and boozing during the Hawks games--glad that will no longer be a distraction.

@marsha--enjoy those grandkids!

AFM--I went to Lake Geneva to visit my friend and got my Wed. wish--weather was horrible in the morning, but as I pulled into her community the skies cleared and we had a nice time at the pool. We didn't swim all that much, but we did go for a short (2 mile) hike/run after the pool.

Thursday Truth:
    While at the pool, I was digging in my beach bag for something and pulled out a sealed pack of cigarettes. They've been in the bag since last summer :noway: Funny thing is, this particular friend smokes socially, but not on a regular daily basis. When we went out for a Hawks game a couple of weeks ago, I had a few drags of her cigarette, but she smokes regular and I was a menthol smoker, so it tasted really bad. Yesterday after finding the pack of menthol in my bag, I smoked a couple, but I left the rest of the pack up at her house so I'm not tempted to fall back into the habit. I think as long as I don't buy my own to have at my disposal all the time, I will be fine just smoking a cigarette once in awhile. I used to smoke like that years ago, but then I started smoking at home and in my car--I'm going to make sure that doesn't happen this time. This morning I have no desire for a cigarette, now that I'm back home and don't have them in front of me.

Today I'm going to the gym after I walk gunner--going to try one of the video classes if the room is free; then I will come home and do 30DS.

Exercise Goals:
    Sat--walk gunner DONE + 30 DS DONE + run or gym NOT DONE but going dancing tonight instead
    Sun--walk gunner DONE + run DONE
    Mon--walk gunner DONE + 30 DS DONE + gym DONE
    Tues--walk gunner DONE + 30 DS DONE
    Wed--walk gunner NOT DONE + swimming A BIT + run/hike DONE
    Thurs--walk gunner + run or gym + 30DS
    Fri--walk gunner + 30 DS
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Good morning all. Just in case you weren't aware two weeks of no zumba and then picking it back up makes your body angry.:laugh: Just a bit stiff and sore last night and today. I am enjoying having the majority of my family back together for a little while before they all scatter on me. My son is job hunting so Him and his sister will probably be out and on their own by the end of the year and of course the husband is always coming and going.
    Kelley the twelve week program at my gym is just a program they run to introduce you to exercsing and how to use all the equipment. Now that summer is here I will still do my zumba and weights at the gym but cardio on strength days will be something fun outside for the most part. Well have a great day everyone I am getting kicked off by one of my kids so they can do resume something. Cant really argue with that:laugh:
  • lmackbethl
    lmackbethl Posts: 156
    Options
    @Karen - Ruckus loves the backpack too - she and Gunner would be great friends, as she's also a working dog at heart. Lily, on the other hand, is a wild animal - an American Dingo - and has no tolerance for such humiliations. She just wants to hunt. I'm hoping once she gets into the woods that she loves and realizes that's where her food is, she will forget how much it annoys her!
    @Kelley - my friends pretty much have to be willing to do outdoors stuff, since that's mostly all that I do. I have a couple who would enjoy the beers at the pool and the cruises with you, but I don't see them as much, because our interests are quite different... I've done a couple cruises, but hate being ON the boat, when there is water everywhere that I would much rather be IN!!!! I'm more of a desert-island vacationer at heart! :laugh: I hope your friend will consent to go zip-lining and kayaking!!! If not, perhaps go without her??!!!!!!!!!! Soooo much fun!!!!

Early rain today, but it's clearing up, so I'm headed out for a late-afternoon/early-evening swim. Hope everyone's having a great day!!!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Exercise Goals:
    Sat--walk gunner DONE + 30 DS DONE + run or gym NOT DONE but going dancing tonight instead
    Sun--walk gunner DONE + run DONE
    Mon--walk gunner DONE + 30 DS DONE + gym DONE
    Tues--walk gunner DONE + 30 DS DONE
    Wed--walk gunner NOT DONE + swimming A BIT + run/hike DONE
    Thurs--walk gunner DONE + gym DONE + 30DS DONE
    Fri--walk gunner + 30 DS
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice on the Bra's, I will check out Kohl's and some of those brands. I am thinking that I want one that hooks in the back for easy on and off. I guess that will be my job for the weekend.

Thursday- Truth- There are 2 tonight. The first is I really didn't feel like exercising tonight, even through I made myself go for a walk at the gym. I did jog a few laps but just wasn't feeling it. I should have worked out my core but chose to skip it. I did not feel like having a sore stomach. 2-I am concerned about the muscles around my knees right now for the simple reason that when I was walking across a field today carrying a very heavy computer bag, the lower leg started to ache. Tonight I could not get it to repeat which is good but it still didn't feel quite right. Will most likely visit the chiropractor tomorrow to see if he can pick up anything maybe I just need an adjustment. I don't think it is serious but I will not run until Monday, when I meet with my trainer again. It could also be mental since I was tired today when I got home and really wasn't feeling a workout.
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Thursday truth: Even though progress is good, I'm tired of being laid up. I'm going to be a very impatient patient this time!
    Had a good day. I walked around the block this morning and did 5 laps through the halls inside tonight.
    Kaye
  • CathEsh
    CathEsh Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Just got caught up reading everyone's posts. You inspire me! :flowerforyou:

Kaye ~ I'm glad you are recovering well. After my knee surgeries, I did the PT exercises religiously 3X per day. Oh how I remember the problem of keeping "things flowing!" :wink: Those pain meds are great but with not-so-great side effects!

Robin ~ Hope you've found the perfect solution for your skin tears. My father-in-law had very thin skin and was always tearing up his arms, so I can relate to what you're going through. Don't know if the vet wrap would work for that, but I love it to wrap my foot to keep swelling down from my bunion surgery. My foot doc recommended I try it. He called it animal wrap which I found at the Farm & Supply Store in all sorts of colors. Great stuff!

I'm still not doing so well in the eating department. I start out in the morning with good intentions, but by the end of the day I blow it! I've stepped up the exercise. Today: one dog walk, one bike ride, and one water aerobics class! :bigsmile: I've got to get my eating under control, though... And still have not cleaned out those closets! :grumble:

I'm looking for a play mate for my little Luna, my small Italian Greyhound who just turned one year. My other dog, a ShihTzu, is 12 years old and absolutely has not interest in playing with her whatsoever! She allows Luna to sleep with her, but she will have nothing to do with playing! I've even considered getting another Italian Greyhound but can't decide if this will create more stress for my ShihTzu or relieve some stress for her. I think we've decided it would just create more stress for US! So for now, I keep trying to find puppy friends for her. My friends and I set up a play date with their puppies (they both have ShihTzu/Poodle mixes), but neither puppy wanted anything to do with my little Luna. Tomorrow I am meeting a friend with her mini-dachshund puppy who she says loves to play with all kinds of dogs, so let's hope he plays with my little Luna!
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    TGIF!

Love Friday’s for two reasons – it’s the end of the week and my Starbucks splurge day. Today was a skinny caramel macchiato. Yum! :drinker: Well, I did it – HIIT on the stairmill, for about 25 minutes then got on the elliptical to cool down and then hit the sauna after one of the trainers helped me stretch my lower back. It was a great calorie burn, but only doing that high of an intensity once/week. I was spent when I got home & that kind of high intensity workout always makes me hungry – probably because you burn glycogen the whole time! According to the machine I climbed 30 floors, yet my Fitbit said I had only climbed 4 floors yesterday – lately I’ve been questioning its accuracy since it took a bath in the washing machine. Trying to decide if I should replace it.

@Cath~I hope you find a playmate for Luna. Do you have a dog park close by? Luna might make some new friends there. Awesome job with the workouts yesterday – just take it one meal at a time with the eating, you can do this!
    @Kaye~Sounds like you had a great day yesterday, keep it up! I can understand your impatience, just keep at it and you’ll be back to your usual active self before you know it.
    @Laurie~ You may have strained your knee it or it just could be because you weren’t feeling it – I know that when I’m not into working out my body hurts the entire time. Running is hard on your knees, so I hope it’s just a strain or muscle overuse - good idea to go see chiro, he might be able to do some muscle stim. Try putting some ice on it too, that may help.

Friday Fitness~Its been a fairly active week, feeling more like myself and like getting back into a routine along with my trainer challenging me with some things. :love: We’re are having a baby shower at work this afternoon for a good friend of mine at work, only food challenge will be cake – I’m not a cake eater, so don’t see much temptation there. Should be a fun time though - we've really pulled out all the stops for her (first baby). Rest of the weekend should be fairly quiet. Maybe some shopping – trip to Kohl’s and maybe the pet store (still looking for the perfect cat tree for Zoe).

Exercise Goals:

Sunday~Trainer DONE! :happy:
    Monday~Rest Day
    Tuesday~Core work at home DONE! :happy:
    Wednesday~Training DONE! :happy:
    Thursday~Gym, HIIT on Stairmill DONE! :happy:
    Friday~Rest Day, Chiropractor
    Saturday~Gym, Arc Trainer

Have a fab day!
  • Sherrielsb
    Sherrielsb Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    It's Friday, it's Friday, it's Friday Friday Friday! Yep I am excited this week is nearly over.

Friday Fitness- Already made it to an early jazzercise class, got all nice and grossly sweaty. Then for the weekend I have a 10K on Saturday. Really looking forward to this race. First 10K of the year and hoping to beat last year's time.

I forgot to write down which comment is for which person so apologies

Good luck in the puppy search! I can only imagine for tricky that must be.

Robin and someone else- hope your healing continues and you are feeling back to yourself soon. Few things are more frustrating than when the body takes a different route than we want.

My 11 year old is clammoring for her turn on my lap top.

Water tag! You're it:drinker:
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning.

I got 8568 steps yesterday and 14 floors of stairs. I offered to help one of the Admin. Assistants move the new sound studio equipment up to the second floor. I was drenched in sweat by the time I was done so I know I burnt some more calories. I was really hungry when I got home and Amy had to drive one of her daycare Moms and her son home because her car broke down. She lives right near Famous Dave’s. I ate way over on calories and carbs but finally got close to my protein. I am thinking about changing my food to try and fit the macros I picked better. I am going for:

Carbohydrates 25%
    Protein 35%
    Fat 40%
    Sodium 2,500mg
    Potassium 3,500mg
    Cholesterol 300mg
    Fiber 20g
    Sugar 70g

This is for 1,900 calories which may have to drop to 1,800 if I do not start losing again
    Carbs will be mostly whole grains and sugar will be mostly from natural fruit. Low carbs and sugar are for my Diabetes type II, high protein is because I need to build muscle, potassium is because of my high blood pressure. I am very much a creature of habit and eat almost the same breakfast everyday. I eat not too many different lunches also, then I blow it on dinner. I must look at my macros for the day see what dinner will make them better for the day. I see very low carb and high protein dinners in my future. Night snacks are going to have to be skipped. The night snacks are habit rather than out of being hungry so that will be a big mental battle for me.

It is going to be a warm week here so outside stuff will be at a minimum.
    7_day_forecast_zps4be2ebd0.jpg

Atleast it is cooling down to 107 for the 4th:laugh:

Quote of the day: - “You can complain that roses have thorns, or rejoice that thorns have roses.” ~Ziggy

Have a healthy day and if it is hot where you are drink mucho aqua!
    Tom
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    ....potassium is because of my high blood pressure. .....Tom

Mr. M, I'm curious. Your DR is OK with 2500mg sodium even though you have High BP? I'd think he'd want you no higher than 2000.

Greetings all. Not posting much right now, but I'm reading multiple times a day and keeping up with everyone. I'm just under an ENORMOUS amount of stress right now and barely hanging on... unfortuantely with the help of french onion dip and potato chips.... determined to hit the grocery store tonight for some HEALTHY hot weather food for the weekend!

Robin, sorry to hear about the trouble your having. It sounds awful and PAINFUL. I hope things get better in the skin dept.
    Kaye, thrilled to hear things went well and you have less pain this time. Don't worry about a few extra pounds right now. Your body is just holding water after the surgery and of course the other 'issue' will cause the scale to read higher. Glad to hear you're on the mend!