GUYS: HOW MUCH WOUND U SPEND ON A RING

Options

Replies

• tootchute
    tootchute Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    We got three ring set, it was a total of 940 when we got married, we are going to get remarried one day and he wants a spend a little more money on the rings but I'm not going to let him go overboard.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Three months salary IS the general rule. That's why you save for a ring. This also provides the prospective groom to really think about his decision and the selection.

Yeah, "general rule" from those who want you to spend your hard earned money - in today's economy, spending three months of salary on a ring is absolutely crazy.

I absolutely agree, it is crazy.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'd rather skip the engagement ring, and just get a pretty wedding band.

Most girls won't agree with me, but I never liked engagement rings, feels like being "bought". How about I marry you because I wanna spend the rest of my life with you, and not because you bought me fancy jewelry... not impressed by material things.

<---- I agree with you completely. :)
  • MackLuster77
    MackLuster77 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm always amazed how people are so duped by DeBeers. They hold diamonds in their reserve to keep the price artificially inflated. Diamonds have a pretty low intrinsic value, and are best used as cutting tools. The engagement ring was invented in the thirties.

The "industry" recommends three months salary? Only because dodoheads would balk at 4 months.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options

Most girls won't agree with me, but I never liked engagement rings, feels like being "bought". How about I marry you because I wanna spend the rest of my life with you, and not because you bought me fancy jewelry... not impressed by material things.
    Oh, I'm probably in minority here too. I asked him to marry me and there was no askings of hands in marriage but simply a "We are engaged now".

I would probably also rather elope too (something whimsical, special and romantic, not a trashy las vegas chapel lol). I'm a romantic gal, not a material one, nor a traditional woman either.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    ...remember ladies, you're going to give the ring back later when it's over, right? So, it shouldn't really matter to you at all.

Wth.

Who said that?its a gift and I'm keeping it.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    my wife decided to use the money for other things so she decided on matching bands. That was 46 years ago and she still is the smarter of the two of us. :flowerforyou:
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Didn't buy a ring, but I forged one myself. It was awesome. Into this ring I poured all my cruelty, my malice and my will to dominate all life. Then I lost this one ring in the most stupid, goofy way you can imagine (I don't want to talk about that). I looked for it for years while it changed hands a few times. The last possessor fell into a molten river with the ring in his hideous possession. I fear it is gone forever.

OMG. OMGOMGOMG. YOU. are my hero.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

Oh, I'm probably in minority here too. I asked him to marry me and there was no askings of hands in marriage but simply a "We are engaged now".

I would probably also rather elope too (something whimsical, special and romantic, not a trashy las vegas chapel lol). I'm a romantic gal, not a material one, nor a traditional woman either.
    I just happen to think that it is pretty hypocritical to yell about women's rights in one breath and then the next push over all the responsibility on the man like is still before the times when women began to work outside of the homes, earning their own money. The rings are fine as they are, I like a symbol of commitment, but to put thousands of your currency so you can basically show it off (because come on, ladies, many of you are comparing) is insane, especially if he has to pay all of it. Where is the equality then? Unfortunately the US wedding industry craziness is spreading out over the rest of the world as we speak, with expectations and spendings going up through the roof.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    At least someone knows i'm not making a joke

Stop being a baby. If a girl asks for a Chanel bag for a first date, she's a prostitute. Dump that *****.

You should giveChanel just like that. Without her asking you.

After your light lunch at Le Cirque you have a nice little walk to the Bergdorf... And Chanel is just next to it.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I just happen to think that it is pretty hypocritical to yell about women's rights in one breath and then the next push over all the responsibility on the man like is still before the times when women began to work outside of the homes, earning their own money. The rings are fine as they are, I like a symbol of commitment, but to put thousands of your currency so you can basically show it off (because come on, ladies, many of you are comparing) is insane, especially if he has to pay all of it. Where is the equality then? Unfortunately the US wedding industry craziness is spreading out over the rest of the world as we speak, with expectations and spendings going up through the roof.

De Beers is a South African company, not an American one.

if anyone is to blame for these outlandish expectations about rings and their prices, it's De Beers.
  • NotRailMeat
    NotRailMeat Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    When I got engaged and married (18 years ago) the common practice was 2 months salary. This is pretty close to what I spent. We then ended up spending the other 10 months worth of salary to pay for the rest of the wedding.

If we had it all to do over again, we would each get simple plain gold bands, and elope alone.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

De Beers is a South African company, not an American one.

if anyone is to blame for these outlandish expectations about rings and their prices, it's De Beers.
    I wasn't discussing the ring only, but the whole industry. Do you know the wedding blogosphere? I do and most are US-based.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I lost mine surfing.

then, she bought my a 2nd one, I used to take it off all the time and spin it. I left it on a table in a diner on accident. Of course, the staff never saw it.

Then, I bought a third one, and never wore it.

Then, we just decided that it would be better if we divorced.

You must be my ex-husband.... You've lost some weight. Good for you.
  • zedgt87
    zedgt87 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I would spend ZERO.
  • sub10orbust
    sub10orbust Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I would spend ZERO.

/thread inb4 wk's
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I eat meat, wear leather and fur. I drive cars, fly air plains.

Lets be real. I can care less about those bloody diamonds.
    I do all those things too (well, airplanes, anyway, when I can talk one of my pilot friends into letting me get in some practice). I don't actually get what you mean about "I can care less about those bloody diamonds" though. Are you saying you don't care about diamonds, or that you don't care about the human cost of those diamonds, or something else?

Anyway, I was just making a joke, actually...

aziz-blood-diamonds-parks-and-rec.jpg
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    My husband got my ring at a gas station (not kidding) It's sterling silver with cubic zirconia diamond. We went this way because we were just starting out. Plus it not the ring that matters it's the person who gives the ring to you and the meaning behind it. He got down on one knee at sunset and I cried and said yes of course! I will, if we can afford it, get a real diamond on our tenth anniversary but I want to find that looks just like the one I have now, and to be honest, I really don't care if I ever get a real diamond anyway as long as I have him by my side!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    i bet the watch on the boyfriend's wrist cost a lot more than the ring on my finger