GUYS: HOW MUCH WOUND U SPEND ON A RING

Options

Replies

• Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I will, if we can afford it, get a real diamond on our tenth anniversary but I want to find that looks just like the one I have now, and to be honest, I really don't care if I ever get a real diamond anyway as long as I have him by my side!
    Now you've got me all sappy and misty-eyed... for all those people who have lost their better half, which would they rather have, a giant rock, or their loved one by their side?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    ...remember ladies, you're going to give the ring back later when it's over, right? So, it shouldn't really matter to you at all.

inorite. you should totally quote that thread here. so we can see who the hipocrites are.

LOL. More work than it's worth, but yeah, that would be funny.

Wait if the contract is to get married then if she does marry him the contract has been fulfilled, so she gets to keep the ring?
  • trgejessie
    trgejessie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I never really understood why some couples go overboard over a diamond ring anyway...The way I see it, the marriage is just beginning. Save the expensive ring for the 10th wedding anniversary and renew your vows. After 10 years with the same person and learning all the things you love and DONT love so much, you deserve it. lol
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    depends on how much i love her...
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    we found a ring i really liked at some jewelry store (we were just looking for ideas, not seriously buying), and eventually took a picture of it to a guy who made jewelry that had been recommended to us. he made the exact same ring for much less. at the original store, the setting alone was 5k, along with a fake center stone. our jeweler made the exact same thing for a lot less and the center stone is real. we had it appraised for insurance purposes along with the band (which he designed especially for me) and it came out way over what the original store was charging for the setting alone. i'm not exactly sure how all the numbers break down (i didn't want to know), but my husband told me that we definitely came out on top. and i got the ring i really wanted! so, try and see if you can find someone reputable to make something!!!

oh and my husbands ring, made out of tungsten, was like $92. :)
  • TripZeros
    TripZeros Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My husband spent $500 on my engagement ring and I picked my wedding ring out for $150 (Originally 900, but I got it on super sale).

I was 18 at the time, he was 21, we had just moved out into the world, on our own. $500 was a lot of money to us...So, it really just depends on what is comfortable for your budget. If he's buying it, then it should be what's comfortable for his budget. If he wants to make payments, fine. Back then my husband was terrified of debt, payments, anything that wasn't done in cash, so there was NO WAY I'd push him into having to make payments on a ring...

Also, they have "trade up" options. You can sell your ring back to the jewelry store and get a bigger diamond/more expensive ring if you want to. I had the jewelry lady tell me this so many times it made me sad... I'll be keeping my $500 engagement ring and my $150 wedding ring. It represents what we were when we started out and I just could never trade that in.
  • OhSnap779
    OhSnap779 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    ...remember ladies, you're going to give the ring back later when it's over, right? So, it shouldn't really matter to you at all.

I did...sort of. Well, if he would have caught it before it went over the fence he was standing near.
  • hOw2lozeAgiN10dAze
    hOw2lozeAgiN10dAze Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    I want to state right here that my first engagement ring came out of one of those quarter machines at KMart... No joke.
  • technobunny
    Options
    when my boyfriend proposed we started with a modest ring, it was about $1100, 3 years later when we had a little more financial stability we upgraded the setting of my ring and that one cost about $3,300. The jewelry store has a program with no interest or finance charges if paid off within the year, and we are doing just that.

Hope that helps.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    wow hard subject. I would say go simple. A simple gold band for one another. No diamond no extras.

It is strictly symbolism not an investment vessel.
  • lizbeths88
    Options
    It depends what you like. My hubby bought me one and I put it in a ring box with his ring as well because we never wore them and....we lost them! Good thing they were pretty cheap and only a couple hundred dollars. Now we just don't have any and that's ok because I don't like jewelry and I can't wear any to work. I do however, expect a decent one in a few years when we have a more "appropriate" wedding.
  • lizbeths88
    Options
    I want to state right here that my first engagement ring came out of one of those quarter machines at KMart... No joke.

Did you saY yes?
  • NYgirl1990
    NYgirl1990 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My husband and I didn't get rings for each other. Mainly because I'm a very simple person and I didn't feel like I needed one, or needed some huge ceremony. Plus I thought that the money for the rings could have gone to something more useful. I also don't really like to wear rings because it makes me get eczema on my fingers.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    maybe you will get it back when someone who is wearing it crawls out of the TV with wet hair?

RAWHAHAHAH! Say, what the heck are you doing in your profile photo? :huh:
    Yoga.
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    the general consensus here is 3 months wage (might be the same everywhere else) but I think $3-$5k is sufficient.
  • hOw2lozeAgiN10dAze
    hOw2lozeAgiN10dAze Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options

Did you saY yes?

Yeah.
  • the_dude00
    the_dude00 Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options

Did you saY yes?

Yeah.

That's like in the Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey, when Bill & Ted propose to the princesses
  • AnguishLanguish
    AnguishLanguish Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    However much you and your partner can comfortable afford without feeling resentful! I am recently engaged and I do not know the price of my ring but my partner knows I would have died if he had paid anymore than 2k for the ring, my ring is BEAUTIFUL! I don't care what the attached price is :-) Best of luck.