"the Daniel fast"... and what it did for me...

Options

Replies

• awlosing30
    awlosing30 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Also, OP, there are various religious MFP groups you may consider joining. I think this post may have been better suited to one of those groups.

Are you condemning her for posting about God and her choices on this forum? Are you discriminating based on religious beliefs? Why shouldn't she be allowed to share her story and point of view wherever she wants? Just because she's talking about God?
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Beachlron, you made me laugh x)

Now, I don't want to sidetrack your discussion on religion guys, but as far as fasting goes, I could not possibly recommend it, how is it anywhere near as good as eating a healthy balanced diet?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Also, OP, there are various religious MFP groups you may consider joining. I think this post may have been better suited to one of those groups.

Are you condemning her for posting about God and her choices on this forum? Are you discriminating based on religious beliefs? Why shouldn't she be allowed to share her story and point of view wherever she wants? Just because she's talking about God?

I'm condemning her? Holy hell! Exaggerate much? It's suggestion based on past posts I've seen of a religious nature get locked or/and nuked. Also, the CG leans more towards certain topics, such as religion, be posted in groups.

ETA: The suggestion was also given since this thread became a "Holy art thou, no sex before marriage, God God God" thread versus just one of success of her weight loss.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

Part of community guidelines:

15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

Divisive topics, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion. We reserve the right to move any topic to a relevant public Group which interested members may join if they wish to continue to participate.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I've been on a Biblical fast for years and have felt great!

I haven't read the thing since I was 8.
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Please explain why it would make a difference to you if more people abstained from sex before marriage. I am not condemning nor condoning; just wondering how it would affect you either way.

less chance of unwanted pregnancy??

And how is that HER problem?

Since I live in the US.
    We have this thing called welfare, in which I get taxed, so someone else can be subsidized to put food on their table or a roof over their head.

Not to mention I am still waiting to see how Obamacare shakes out in regards to abortions.

so if you wish to ruin a forum and get political, I guess we can.....

^^This! :smile:
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Okay guys, lets all calm down for a second! Lol! It is my personal belief that abstinence is the best policy for many reasons. It could help end STD's, unwed Teen mom's, many people on welfare...but as a Christian it is my personal conviction that sex outside of marriage is against God. So seeing someone honoring God by keeping His word makes me happy. Not just with abstinence, but with many other areas of life. Now what others choose to do is their business & must be based on their own convictions. I'm not judging anyone for making their own decisions and exercising their own free will....God did give us that afterall.

edited for grammatical errors

Honestly I say more power to you. Other than the one poster who dissected every comment, I think the majority of the concern fell with the poster who equated premarital sex with rape and slave trade.

To the OP. Congrats on completing it. I've done something similar and it was not easy. I've also given up Pop and other stuff for lent. These types of abstaining from things are pitched as something that will honor God and cure you of this thing. I won't speak to the honoring of God part bc I dont know, but I've found these types of things did not make me stop what I was giving up, but it came back two fold after it was done.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Okay guys, lets all calm down for a second! Lol! It is my personal belief that abstinence is the best policy for many reasons. It could help end STD's, unwed Teen mom's, many people on welfare...but as a Christian it is my personal conviction that sex outside of marriage is against God. So seeing someone honoring God by keeping His word makes me happy. Not just with abstinence, but with many other areas of life. Now what others choose to do is their business & must be based on their own convictions. I'm not judging anyone for making their own decisions and exercising their own free will....God did give us that afterall.

edited for grammatical errors

I have no issues with this. I have no issues with people having religious beliefs. Congrats to the OP for completing her fast. Congrats to those who choose to honor their religion in different ways.

The issue I have is with the post that stated the reason rape and the sex slave trade exist is because people have sex before marriage.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    Options
    Please explain why it would make a difference to you if more people abstained from sex before marriage. I am not condemning nor condoning; just wondering how it would affect you either way.

less chance of unwanted pregnancy??

And how is that HER problem?

Since I live in the US.
    We have this thing called welfare, in which I get taxed, so someone else can be subsidized to put food on their table or a roof over their head.

Not to mention I am still waiting to see how Obamacare shakes out in regards to abortions.

so if you wish to ruin a forum and get political, I guess we can.....

^^This! :smile:

Wha?
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Granted I know nothing about the Bible cause I think it's a bunch of horse %$@!, BUT, fruits of the lands could mean anything from the land...AKA spoils of the land. Natural. Animals.
    Ya know.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Its likely that this thread won't survive but I'm going to put on my boots and wade in.

Just a small curious question - as someone who has read the bible a few times - for those that do the DanIel "Fast" (which, if I remember one where he ate vegetables but I could be wrong) why this fast versus the others?

a fast of 40 days and 40 nights?
    Esther's fast?

What about Mathews that states that fasting should be done in secret?

I'm just curious why this fast comes up more often than others. Is it a fad?
  • Jendawn0427
    Jendawn0427 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    OP -Fantastic! I've done the Daniel Fast several times. I'm always amazed each year. I respect very much what you and your boyfriend did and the reasons why. I try to do the DF every year in line with Jentezen Franklin's church. It's a great way to start a new year.

Thanks for sharing your story.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Oh and, does this only include naturally occurring fruit and ****?
    So no hybrids, or unnatural grains?
    Sounds like ****.
  • carashirley
    carashirley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I was asked why I cared about her being abstinent (basically) so I was just giving my answer!

:)

Blessings!

edited for grammer again, lol! Opps!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you enjoyed your fast and feel good about yourself.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    If everyone abstained from sex before marriage then the 20 million slaves used in the sex trade could be free. There wouldn't be rapings all over the world.

zDcF7.gif
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You can't eat any animal products or refined sugar, but you can eat brown rice pasta?

Great job losing weight and being disciplined and all of that, though. Yay?
  • gangsterfurious
    Options
    This is beautiful and very inspiring for me. I am checking out the website right now. And while I did not wait until I was married, the only person I've been with is my husband. And while my "bad" half wishes I would have gone out and had more fun the other half of me is greatly happy that I married the only person I've been with, there is something very sacred about it, to me anyway.
  • gangsterfurious
    Options
    Its likely that this thread won't survive but I'm going to put on my boots and wade in.

Just a small curious question - as someone who has read the bible a few times - for those that do the DanIel "Fast" (which, if I remember one where he ate vegetables but I could be wrong) why this fast versus the others?

a fast of 40 days and 40 nights?
    Esther's fast?

What about Mathews that states that fasting should be done in secret?

I'm just curious why this fast comes up more often than others. Is it a fad?

Where does it say in Matthew that fasting should be done in secret?
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!