Motivation or "hate speech"?

Options

Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I think it is very wrong to ban someone just because they are in the lime light for the moment and they posted something they didn't like. Is she in the right uh no? But what about the other not famous *kitten* holes posting way worse things and not getting the ban hammer? She has the right to say what she wants.

that's the way MFP works, isn't it?

I think this was on facebook
  • meeper123
    Options
    I think it is very wrong to ban someone just because they are in the lime light for the moment and they posted something they didn't like. Is she in the right uh no? But what about the other not famous *kitten* holes posting way worse things and not getting the ban hammer? She has the right to say what she wants.

It was temporary; probably automatic based on how many people reported it.

She was unbanned shortly after.

ah I see then new question why is this news??? lol She isn't really even a celebrity not that I even care about them either lol I think CBS is determined to demonize this woman lol
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Most people can probably never look like her, because they have more important things to do in their lives.

This is the kind of thing said by lazy people.

See, that's why people are pissed.

I'm not lazy just because I don't want to waste my life trying to look like a fitness model. You do not have to look like her to be healthy. Being a size two with washboard abs does NOT equal healthy.

I don't care what other people do, but insinuating someone is "lazy" because they have different priorities is asinine.

When I die, I don't want people to say, 'well, she was a lousy mom, but DAT *kitten*'. I'd rather I was my little imperfect self with time to play with my kid and my mom and the things that are actually important to me. That means I refuse to spend an hour a day in the gym. That doesn't mean I'm lazy or gross or lack willpower.
  • meeper123
    Options
    Most people can probably never look like her, because they have more important things to do in their lives.

I'm not lazy just because I don't want to waste my life trying to look like a fitness model. You do not have to look like her to be healthy. Being a size two with washboard abs does NOT equal healthy.

I don't care what other people do, but insinuating someone is "lazy" because they have different priorities is asinine.

When I die, I don't want people to say, 'well, she was a lousy mom, but DAT *kitten*'. I'd rather I was my little imperfect self with time to play with my kid and my mom and the things that are actually important to me. That means I refuse to spend an hour a day in the gym. That doesn't mean I'm lazy or gross or lack willpower.

An hour is 4% of your day you can't do that much for your health? What about 30 mins that is only 2%
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Thoughts?

My thoughts:
    This woman is VERY skilled at marketing.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

You think someone who spends an hour a day exercising doesn't have time for children, parents or anything else?

I work full time and am trying to write a novel and somehow I still have time for my family, friends and exercise.

You may not be lazy, but you are full of excuses. If you don't want to do it, just say so.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

It was temporary; probably automatic based on how many people reported it.

She was unbanned shortly after.

ah I see then new question why is this news??? lol She isn't really even a celebrity not that I even care about them either lol I think CBS is determined to demonize this woman lol

genuinely proposing an answer to your question...

I suspect that someone sent out a press release with all the details of what happened.
    The CBS news is one that picked it up.

Any publicity is good publicity and all that jazz.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Thoughts?

My thoughts:
    This woman is VERY skilled at marketing.

:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

The whole "hour a day" thing is a total red herring.

The post for which she got temporarily banned wasn't about spending an hour a day working out to be super-ripped. It was about the growing trend of fat acceptance and normalization of obesity. Her entire point was that it's unacceptable to be obese. It doesn't take an hour a day to be a healthy weight.

And by the way, I'd rather be the awesome dad who was also in good shape and played with his kids and grandkids well into old age as opposed to the one who never exercised and was basically bedridden by 70.
  • rml_16
    Options

One more thing. Your profile says this: "I don't want to pass my bad habits on to my beautiful daughter."

But you won't model good exercise habits for her?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

"waste your life?"

exercising makes you "a lousy mom"?

exercising means you can't "play with your kid"?

Wow! Just, wow....

3 decent weight sessions a week, 30-40 mins each and a solid handle on your nutrition could easily get you ripped. It'll just take time and dedication. That's what I'm guessing you're lacking.

If you can't carve 90 mins out your whole week, you're doing it wrong quite frankly. Bet you spend more time than that watching crappy tv shows....
  • jonnythan
    Options
    If you can't carve 90 mins out your whole week, you're doing it wrong quite frankly. Bet you spend more time than that watching crappy tv shows....

Or posting on MFP.

And playing games, according to her profile. I don't know many "gamers" who spend less than 3 hours a week playing games.
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options

It takes an hour a day. Anybody who wants to, can.

No, not everyone can workout an hour a day. Wish I could. But I can't.

I won't argue with you...because I know how pointless that is...

...but at least acknowledge that you can't workout an hour a day right now. Perhaps with a few different choices in your future, you'll be able to.

One day when I choose to be healed of my heart condition, then I can and will.
    My point wasn't to be argument active but to remind everyone, that blanket statements are not always the best. Not everyone is healthy (and the illness is. to always relative to better choices, soMetimes our bodies just don,t work right)
    It depresses me often that my health limits me and there is nothing I can do about it.

And, with the hypoglycemia, No, I can NOT skip a meal unless I want to pass out. Been there, done that

Sorry to be a nuisance, just having a super bad week..month.

Says can't work out but blogs about doing SL5x5. Is a success story.

I understand you have health issues but your successes that I see, that anyone can see, with your ticker or pictures demonstrate that yes, even someone with health issues can be a success story.

Because that is what you are. :flowerforyou:

Oh my I agree! You would be an inspiration for anyone :flowerforyou:
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Or posting on MFP.

And playing games, according to her profile. I don't know many "gamers" who spend less than 3 hours a week playing games.

Agreed.

It's about priorities. Being ripped like the fb lady isn't her priority. That's all she had to say. Instead she had to start up all this looking good makes you a bad mum bullsh!t.

It's typical wah, wah, wah. If you want it - go get it. If you don't want it - stop p!ssing and moaning about people who do.
  • dizasterkitten
    dizasterkitten Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I cannot stand that woman. I am a proud member of an anti-fat shaming group, and it makes me furious when women like this use fitness and health as an excuse to berate and shame women of size. The group that she is referring to (where women post pictures of themselves in lingerie) is one of many such groups that I am a member of. If she doesn't agree with what they are doing, she doesn't have to go to media outlets and provide them with quotes about how the groups are "normalizing" obesity. People can be healthy in all shapes and sizes - it's not all about BMI and weight. I know plenty of "larger" women who could outlast someone with a "healthy" BMI in long-distance running.
    The way this woman chooses to voice her opinion is hateful. It is people like her that cause eating disorders and misguided notions of what is "sexy".

Don't fat shame. Don't body shame. You are beautiful regardless of your size and wonderful whether you want to change your body or not.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Or posting on MFP.

Most "gamers" I know spend at least 3 hours a day playing games...

...which is why I had to stop being one many years ago.
  • meeper123
    Options

Or posting on MFP.

Most "gamers" I know spend at least 3 hours a day playing games...

...which is why I had to stop being one many years ago.

guilty that's why I try and get my workouts in first lol
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I have to say that I cannot stand that woman. I am a proud member of an anti-fat shaming group, and it makes me furious when women like this use fitness and health as an excuse to berate and shame women of size. The group that she is referring to (where women post pictures of themselves in lingerie) is one of many such groups that I am a member of. If she doesn't agree with what they are doing, she doesn't have to go to media outlets and provide them with quotes about how the groups are "normalizing" obesity. People can be healthy in all shapes and sizes - it's not all about BMI and weight. I know plenty of "larger" women who could outlast someone with a "healthy" BMI in long-distance running.
    The way this woman chooses to voice her opinion is hateful. It is people like her that cause eating disorders and misguided notions of what is "sexy".

Don't fat shame. Don't body shame. You are beautiful regardless of your size and wonderful whether you want to change your body or not.

You think you're as "healthy" at 270 lbs as you would be at 160?

Of course not. You're here to lose weight, which is great. Presumably you realize you will be better off if you lose that weight, which is why you're here. No offense, but 270 lbs is nothing to celebrate or glorify.
  • rml_16
    Options
    People can be healthy in all shapes and sizes - it's not all about BMI and weight. I know plenty of "larger" women who could outlast someone with a "healthy" BMI in long-distance running.

There are a lot of people in my life who are obese and most of them have been most of their lives. As far as I know, they're mostly healthy. My mother has had high BP and high cholesterol (though that seems to be genetic more than lifestyle related). I love them and think they are beautiful.

But not one of them, as they age, is able to enjoy life the way those of us of more healthy weights can. The excess weight causes them not to be able to doa lot of very active things that they used to do when they were younger. They get out of breath more easily. They have terrible joint pain.

I went to one of the Disney water parks a few years ago and we went several times down one waterslide that required us to carry heavy intertubes up several flights of stairs. No one going up those stairs was overweight. And I saw many middle-aged people riding around the park in scooters because they were unable to handle simply walking from ride to ride. They may well have had healthy hearts and not had diabetes (I have no way of knowing), but seeing that motivated me more than ever to continue exercising and trying to keep my weight down. I don't want to be 40 or 50 or 60 and having to ride a scooter at an amusement park. I want to be able to go up those stairs and slide down that slide when I'm that age.

So you may avoid diabetes and heart disease. Some do. But your joints are not going to fair so well as you age and continue carrying that weight around. It's a choice you have to make for yourself. But don't complain later.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    1 hour a day in gym every day is enough to reach that kind of body. Plus counting calories, what takes like 5 min before every meal. Don't tell me people don't have that much time. :)

^ With the mentality people have now a days this is too much time and effort. Most want a magic pill and that is all. *SMH* I mean it does not take much for someone to at least count cals and the like if they do not have time for training. I bet time could be found by most individuals.
    Also, it is triggering to anyone recovering from anorexia nervosa or anorexia athletica because it makes people feel worse about themselves.
    Yes and alcohol advertisements trigger people who are recovering from alcohol. Flashing lights at city center at night trigger people who are epileptic. So what? Just because somebody has problems does not make rest of society responsible to threat them special. Neither it makes rest of us guilty for them having that problem. It's their job to not go where lights are flashing, not to watch alcohol ads and not starve.

^ Could not have said it any better. *Applauds*
This discussion has been closed.