Motivation or "hate speech"?

Options

Replies

• dizasterkitten
    dizasterkitten Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You guys can shame my weight as much as you want. But I would be just as happy staying at 315 for the rest of my life - and I would be able to enjoy it. I celebrate myself, no matter what my weight is. And I will not be ashamed of who I am and let some anonymous internet stranger tell me what weight I should be. Yes, I am here to lose weight. But that doesn't mean I will shame those who don't feel they need to, regardless of their weight. That just means you are not as confident in yourself as you think you are. :)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

Says can't work out but blogs about doing SL5x5. Is a success story.

I understand you have health issues but your successes that I see, that anyone can see, with your ticker or pictures demonstrate that yes, even someone with health issues can be a success story.

Because that is what you are. :flowerforyou:

Oh my I agree! You would be an inspiration for anyone :flowerforyou:

Thanks. Yes, I have been successful, it have been killer on me, my 5x5 is very very modified for my health, and about every 4 weeks I end up sick as a dog because of it...

On weeks that I can do SL5x5, it is just 2 days a week and I only go up 1 pound a week instead on 5 pounds a session (like the plan) Then I go back down again a little bit every 4-6 weeks.

I was NOT saying one can not succeed with health issues..
    I was saying not everyone can workout 1 hour a day nor is is all about willpower and better choices all the time.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You guys can shame my weight as much as you want. But I would be just as happy staying at 315 for the rest of my life - and I would be able to enjoy it. I celebrate myself, no matter what my weight is. And I will not be ashamed of who I am and let some anonymous internet stranger tell me what weight I should be. Yes, I am here to lose weight. But that doesn't mean I will shame those who don't feel they need to, regardless of their weight. That just means you are not as confident in yourself as you think you are. :)

No one is shaming anyone. You're trying to pretend that morbid obesity is just fine.

It's not. You know that, which is why you are here trying to lose weight.
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

Also, my perception is that the OP does not personally think the things she stated in the OP. She was presenting two different ways of thinking about it and was actually being a little bit sarcastic when she said the negative things about the "fit mom" .

Yeah, this^ Dayum. Seriously, the reading comprehension around here sometimes, uh, leaves a lot to be desired... It's crazy how the first page is entirely focused on the one quote by the OP, which was OBVIOUSLY stated in the context of presenting 2 different viewpoints, & yes, she was being sarcastic.
  • dizasterkitten
    dizasterkitten Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You're trying to pretend that morbid obesity is just fine.

Don't assume you know why I'm here. I am actually here in support of a friend who wants to lose weight. As I said before, I would be just as happy to remain at the weight I'm currently at. And yes. By saying someone's weight is not "just fine," you are shaming them. I hope that you can raise your self-confidence and realize that people don't need to meet your personal definition of health to be happy and healthy.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    No one shamed your weight. We simple stated facts.

You will NOT be able to lead an active life if you stay at that weight. Your joints WILL give out. Walking a city block will be like running a marathon at some point, only more difficult. I've watched this happen to people I know and love and it breaks my heart.

You're expressing denial.

But if you'll be perfectly happy not being able to walk a block when you're still fairly young, then that's your business. I would not be happy with that.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Don't assume you know why I'm here. I am actually here in support of a friend who wants to lose weight. As I said before, I would be just as happy to remain at the weight I'm currently at. And yes. By saying someone's weight is not "just fine," you are shaming them. I hope that you can raise your self-confidence and realize that people don't need to meet your personal definition of health to be happy and healthy.

Assume?

You have a weight loss goal of about 90 pounds set and said "Yes, I am here to lose weight." Your profile says "So, I'm losing weight to find greater happiness in myself." Doesn't seem like much of an assumption :laugh:

Morbid obesity is not healthy. That's a fact, not an opinion.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options

No one is shaming anyone. You're trying to pretend that morbid obesity is just fine.

It's a lot of this. I also have a good friend who is morbidly obese. I don't give a crap what my friends look like. i do, however, care that she is so unhealthy that she is likely going to die early or suffer from a list of diseases that are weight related. Even at my current weight and size I am at a higher risk for diseases due largely to carrying too much fat around my stomach.

Society has gone way overboard with accepting overweight and obese as the new normal. Even as being 10-20 pounds overweight people look at me cross eyed when I tell them I am working on losing weight. Explaining the health benefits to me losing a few inches from my stomach and I get cross eyed.

Everyone can have a reason for not exercising. i don't care what it is. What's the excuse for not eating a balanced diet? My excuse is that I love food. And that's an EXCUSE. there is no reason I can't or shouldn't.... which is why I'm here. I do spend a lot of time at the gym - so my daughter spends some time in teh day care there. I rarely feel guilty about it. I'm sure she appreciates having an active mom much more than having a mom who can't move in 5 years.

I'm also sure that at her age (7) other kids would notice if I was too big and she would be questioned why she has a fat mom. And yes that would bother me that she would be picked on for my weight.

Maria Kang is a fit mom. I don't care if it's marketing - I stand behind her 100% that MOST people who are overweight have an excuse. Even if you don't care if you are obese, the people around yo probably do as they are watching you slowly pile on the percentage chance of you developing and possibly dying from, a weight related disease.

There is way too much to say on this topic....
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options

Tell us that a Dr told you that it's "just fine" to be at your current weight. You may be confident in your size - and that's fine - but you aren't healthy.

Nor am I. But I don't claim to be. I can run a marathon, I can run a half marathon at a sub 8:00 mile. I'm still not healthy yet.

You can be happy wiht your size but you need to also be aware of the facts.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    OMG.

YOU CANNOT BE OBESE AND HEALTHY AT THE SAME TIME.

It's be definition impossible.

See, that's why people are pissed.

I'm not lazy just because I don't want to waste my life trying to look like a fitness model. You do not have to look like her to be healthy. Being a size two with washboard abs does NOT equal healthy.

I don't care what other people do, but insinuating someone is "lazy" because they have different priorities is asinine.

When I die, I don't want people to say, 'well, she was a lousy mom, but DAT *kitten*'. I'd rather I was my little imperfect self with time to play with my kid and my mom and the things that are actually important to me. That means I refuse to spend an hour a day in the gym. That doesn't mean I'm lazy or gross or lack willpower.

waste of life? really? so if she said she didn't want to waste her life doing "the things that are important to YOU" how would you feel? Clearly it's important to her- therefore- it's not a waste of life.

Secondly- most people ARE lazy. We aren't in this because everyone is super motivated- we wouldn't be here if they were. And what's crazy- here's the truly crazy thing- it doesn't take THAT much work to get there- it takes time and dedication to "the cause" but the actual work is not that hard.

Work out 2-3 times a week- drop body fat percentage.

It's not like it's a full time job- or even a part time job.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options

We have to find a good balance between two very different messages. First, you can be a good, self-loving person and be over weight, even morbidly so. So, we have to find ways to affirm the people we know, and love, for who they are. There is no room for shaming people for their weight no matter what that weight is.

Second, it is equally important that we do not enable the behavior and attitudes that it is AOK to be over weight. No matter what anyone says, no more nees to be medically demonstrated that being overweight will shorten a person's life and increase their need for medical intervention. Even if a person says, "It is my choice" they are in denial of the wider social impact of carrying way too much weight.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I'd like to point out that saying someone is grossly over weight isn't fat shaming.

It can easily be a fact. And we can be friends with such people-and not think less of them really- but we can still understand and be cogitative of the fact they are grossly over weight. Understand a fact is not anywhere remotely close to fat shaming.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    So it's true then, EVERYTHING is now considered shaming. That's what I feared we had come to and this page of this thread definitely confirms it.

I'd say "best of luck to everyone in their weight loss and fitness goals" but even that can be taken as shaming now. I'm surprised I haven't gotten a strike already for making such blatant assumptions
  • JoRocka
    Options
    So it's true then, EVERYTHING is now considered shaming. That's what I feared we had come to and this page of this thread definitely confirms it.

I'd say "best of luck to everyone in their weight loss and fitness goals" but even that can be taken as shaming now. I'm surprised I haven't gotten a strike already for making such blatant assumptions

the world is full of new and wonderful people you haven't yet met waiting to be offended by something you said.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Very good class!

Go to the index and look up "hypoglycemia" and then look for subheadings under "breakfast."

Probably won't find anything.

But read up on glucose and glycogen. Use the index.

Even an old Guyton's is a goodie.

Why?

Because you won't find any nonsense in it.

All the facts are based on the best available research and has been thoroughly vetted by the medical establishment.

If any speculative things are in it, they will label it as such.

I will change my opinion on anything if there is evidence to support it.

Especially morning hypoglycemia in an otherwise healthy adult, not taking diabetic medicine, that causes her to lose consciousness.

So dig in and prove me wrong!

Class?

Again, please tell us about your education, training, and experience in the field of medicine.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Yes, I am here to lose weight

So you are here to support a friend AND lose weight, by your own words.

Like I said upstream, I believe that self confidence is a positive factor in losing weight and an important thing to have independently.
    I can also state factually that being overweight or obese carries significant additional health risks and limits certain activities and possibilities without it being an act of shaming.

If I direct it specifically at you and make a value judgement of what should make you happy or not, yes, I'm out of line.

If as a professional working in health care in areas annex to cardiovascular disease, diabetes, nutrition, etc it is not shaming to state that a weight is not fine with regards to general health. Whether you wish to attach emotional content to that is your business, your weight does not define you for me as a whole except within the specific discussion of where weight does define the individual interactions - would I take an obese person on a 3500M climb? No way.
    On a Sunday bicycle ride (even a 70 km one)? Without a doubt, but with some consideration for ability - as likely as the consideration of ability for a newbie rider. Will they make it?

Weight matters, and it matters more or less based on the facet one considers - not a define all.

I'd suggest that very few people here weight shame.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Steve, I've asked you this before but received no answer:

Can you tell us about your qualifications/education/experience, please?

I believe the only response he ever gave to this was he read a book commonly used to educate doctors.

Is he the one that referred to Guyton & Hall? Cause I have a copy of that book. I believe I asked him for a page reference for something he quoted from there so I could look it up myself, but he refused.

I'm oooold.

This was my textbook.
    guyton.jpg

Yours doesn't even have a Hall! Must be old :laugh:

Very good class!

Go to the index and look up "hypoglycemia" and then look for subheadings under "breakfast."

Probably won't find anything.

But read up on glucose and glycogen. Use the index.

Even an old Guyton's is a goodie.

Why?

Because you won't find any nonsense in it.

All the facts are based on the best available research and has been thoroughly vetted by the medical establishment.

If any speculative things are in it, they will label it as such.

I will change my opinion on anything if there is evidence to support it.

Especially morning hypoglycemia in an otherwise healthy adult, not taking diabetic medicine, that causes her to lose consciousness.

So dig in and prove me wrong!

But again, even if you are correct (and the smart money is on EvgeniZyntx) the specific poster you referenced is not "otherwise healthy."
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Actually sounds more like you won't tell us because you have no relevant education or experience.

In which case you should stop giving medical advice.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I mean, this woman clearly hates everyone who doesn't have a perfect body just like hers, right?

That's an outright lie.

Why are you misrepresenting a fellow human being like this?

THIS. I think people need to put their big-kid panties on. People are so thin-skinned these days looking for a reason to be offended about ANYthing and EVERYthing. geez. People's be cray-cray. it's the internet, people. aye-yi-yi.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I mean, this woman clearly hates everyone who doesn't have a perfect body just like hers, right?

That's an outright lie.

Why are you misrepresenting a fellow human being like this?

THIS. I think people need to put their big-kid panties on. People are so thin-skinned these days looking for a reason to be offended about ANYthing and EVERYthing. geez. People's be cray-cray. it's the internet, people. aye-yi-yi.

LULZ agreed.
    I feel like a bunch of people completely forgot to pick up their sarcasm readers this past weekend. Seriously.
This discussion has been closed.