High carb vegan diet

Options

Replies

• littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting here reading this....and after the extensive amount of time on diet and how it effects the body...
    There's so much low carb bioscience bullsh*t it's hilarious.
  • LakishaS82
    Options
    Well my experience is this. I have graves disease my eyes were yellow my skin was a mess after just two weeks I saw a difference. My eyes weren't yellow anymore and my skin was smooth and supple. Also I noticed my energy was through the roof and my thinking was clearer. So I have had a good experience eating High carb low fat vegan. I'm just trying to figure out a to not runoutta food after two weeks seeing that I have a family of four to feed. It became difficult and stressful running outta food. I don't know I guess I gotta plan out a menu for the month.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Well my experience is this. I have graves disease my eyes were yellow my skin was a mess after just two weeks I saw a difference. My eyes weren't yellow anymore and my skin was smooth and supple. Also I noticed my energy was through the roof and my thinking was clearer. So I have had a good experience eating High carb low fat vegan. I'm just trying to figure out a to not runoutta food after two weeks seeing that I have a family of four to feed. It became difficult and stressful running outta food. I don't know I guess I gotta plan out a menu for the month.

Can you start a new thread?
    You are more likely to get better responses.
  • meparker757
    meparker757 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You made a great choice! I gone Vegan for the last couple of months and I feel great.

I think the vegan diet life style is a personal choice so it might not be for everyone.
  • devonmccunn
    Options
    Why is everyone bashing this guy for trying to share his experience and help people out. Going vegan is an amazing thing you can do for your health, our fellow beings, and the planet. In order to succeed as a vegan, yes you absolutely need to eat high carb low fat and consume twice the amount of calories in order to meet your nutrients and keep your energy high. I was vegan for about a year eating an average amount of calories eating an excess of protein from soy and nuts because the dieting industry made me believe I "needed" it. I did lose and maintain my weight but eventually around the 12 month mark I started feeling fatigued and had binge episodes on high carb high FAT vegan foods. I started gaining weight and I blamed the veganism thinking maybe it just wasn't working for me anymore. So I started eating animal products again and restricting my calories to try and lose the weight I gained. Well this didn't stop the binge eating, I still had low energy except this time my skin was suffering like never before and I was still game weight rapidly. About three months ago I decided to really research how to be a successful vegan and it led me to the high carb low fat lifestyle of fruity abundance. After the month long detox I feel absolutely amazing and my body is rewarding me with excellent digestion, energy, and WEIGHTLOSS (finally). People get too caught up in scientific theories and debates. How about you look at the people achieving the results that you want to achieve and create your own theories and observations from that. Just get on YouTube and search high carb low fat vegan and I guarantee you will be inspired.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone bashing this guy for trying to share his experience and help people out. Going vegan is an amazing thing you can do for your health, our fellow beings, and the planet. In order to succeed as a vegan, yes you absolutely need to eat high carb low fat and consume twice the amount of calories in order to meet your nutrients and keep your energy high. I was vegan for about a year eating an average amount of calories eating an excess of protein from soy and nuts because the dieting industry made me believe I "needed" it. I did lose and maintain my weight but eventually around the 12 month mark I started feeling fatigued and had binge episodes on high carb high FAT vegan foods. I started gaining weight and I blamed the veganism thinking maybe it just wasn't working for me anymore. So I started eating animal products again and restricting my calories to try and lose the weight I gained. Well this didn't stop the binge eating, I still had low energy except this time my skin was suffering like never before and I was still game weight rapidly. About three months ago I decided to really research how to be a successful vegan and it led me to the high carb low fat lifestyle of fruity abundance. After the month long detox I feel absolutely amazing and my body is rewarding me with excellent digestion, energy, and WEIGHTLOSS (finally). People get too caught up in scientific theories and debates. How about you look at the people achieving the results that you want to achieve and create your own theories and observations from that. Just get on YouTube and search high carb low fat vegan and I guarantee you will be inspired.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

There is so much ridiculousness in this post I don't even know where to begin.
    Oh yes, people get too caught up in science.....NOT.
  • tinypastels
    tinypastels Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Okay, we all can agree to disagree. If you guys want to rely on the limits of selectively funded studies (usually by meat, dairy, other profitable industries) then go ahead an enjoy. You look great, and you're seeing your results. No wonder you think we're crazy. Just have to say, I bet your diet isn't nearly as tasty and abundant as mine. :laugh: :drinker: :laugh:

I would recommend "The Starch Solution" by Dr. John McDougall, "80/10/10" by Dr. Doug Graham, "Engine 2 Diet" by Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, "Get Healthy Go Vegan" by Dr. Neal Barnard ...yes, THIS IS proven and explained by science, and it works long term. All these doctors are lean and fit. Try and find a lean and fit doctor that promotes carb restriction.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Fat makes you fat, not carbs.

That is just wrong. excess calories are stored as fat, no matter what they come from.
    Maybe if you lay in bed all day stuffing your mouth full of hamburgers. When I first went vegan I didn't do any training due to slight overtraining but still ate like would die the next day and I lost 4 kg just like that. Now tell me, how is this possible if what you're saying is true. I weigh 69 kg and am super fit, and I assume you are overweight and struggling to run around the block. You could change this easy if you would just listen to me, just give it a try. Sorry if I offended you, I don't mean to hurt your feeling or anything, just trying to make a point :)

I lay in bed all day stuffing triple baconator, yet when I ate predominantly vegan diet, I was over weight. You should do what works for you, there is no one size fits all diet.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    You can still gain weight while being on a vegan diet if you eat bad vegan foods high in fat. "Excess calories will make you gain weight", not really unless your metabolism is messed up. When a wolf catches its pray he/she doesn't stop and go "wait a minute, I shouldn't eat so much I might gain weight", the wolf ****ing feasts until he can't eat anymore. Please, try gaining weight from just fruits and veggies, try it.

A wolf feasts when they catch some prey because they may not eat again for 2 or more weeks.

Also, ever heard of winter? They're lucky if they find some prey to eat once a month. They often have to dig for food and eat roots of plants because they can't find any other food.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Okay, we all can agree to disagree. If you guys want to rely on the limits of selectively funded studies (usually by meat, dairy, other profitable industries) then go ahead an enjoy. You look great, and you're seeing your results. No wonder you think we're crazy. Just have to say, I bet your diet isn't nearly as tasty and abundant as mine. :laugh: :drinker: :laugh:

Why would you assume that a meat eaters diet isn't as tasty or abundant as your diet?
  • tinypastels
    tinypastels Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I just had dessert for breakfast. I will have another 1000 calorie dessert for lunch. I am getting lean by eating all the fruit I care for. Good riddance to calorie restriction (and subsequent cravings!! eek!) Look up Dr. Doug Graham, he has done this since 1978. He's not the only one but a prime example.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    ignorance.jpg
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    https://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/popular-diet-blogger-reveals-eating-disorder-her-70-140754762--abc-news-health.html
    Good luck with vitamin deficiencies, hair falling out, weakness and messed up menstrual cycles. There is a reason some people don't do this diet for very long.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    ignorance.jpg

lulz, when veganism caught some steam and ann coulter got a job.

This thread has definitely been amusing, starting at the wet behind the years street preacher and spiralling out into true silliness.
  • greenwrapgirl
    Options
    The way the original post was worded may seem off putting to some people, but it is scientifically shown that a whole food plant based diet is the healthiest way to eat. To see that information, read The China Study by T. Colin Campbell, PhD which is the largest sixty on nutrition and health ever done. If you don't want to have to read through all the details, the video Forks Over Knives is a condensed and more entertaining source of some of the information.

Because whole food plant based is the healthiest way eat, you will naturally reach a healthy weight without having to count calories or make sure you're getting enough of everything. I say whole food plant based because not all vegan food is healthy food. There's alot of processed vegan junk food out there. The vegan meat replacements out there are also junk food, though they are better for you than animal protein. You need to make sure you're eating real food such as all the different colors of fruits and vegetables, lots of leafy greens,whole grains and pseudo-grains (such as quinoa and buckwheat ), legumes, nuts and seeds (chia and hemp seeds are really good for you, too).

Eating this way allows you to eat as much as you want because you get full before you can overeat. The food is full of the nutrients you need so your body isn't telling you that you need to eat more to get the nutrients it needs. The food also has more volume and fiber so your stomach is actually full and you stop when you need to.

When you eat whole plant foods, you will get everything you need as long as you're eating enough calories and eating enough varietyvariety. The FDA nutrition guidelines are not completely scientifically sound and are somewhat arbitrary. You need half the amount of protein as recommended and you get plenty of it in plants. You don't need to resort to protein supplements unless you want to use one as a post-workout recovery. You get plenty of calcium that is actually better for you than dairy. You get your healthy days with no cholesterol from nuts and seeds, coconut (it's saturated fat, but your body processes it differently and it's good for you), avocados, and other plants, too. You don't need to take supplements, with a few exceptions. You may need to take a Vitamin D supplement if you're not getting getting about 15 minutes of sunlight every couple days. You will also need to take a B-12 supplement to avoid pernicious anemia. We used to be able to get B-12 when eating plasma, but the soil has been largely depleted and we super wash all our fruits and vegetables.

I switched to a whole food plant based diet in 2011 after researching cancer prevention. There were a lot of references to The China Study so I decided to read it for myself. It showed that no matter how much of a carcinogen we're exposed to, the actual growth of cancer could be controlled with the amount of animal protein consumed. Cancer can be reversed by eliminating animal protein, especially dairy. The casein in dairy actually feeds cancer more than any other animal protein.

I was overweight and miserable, but quickly lost 70 pounds after switching to a whole food plant based diet and never felt better. I haven't even had so much as a cold in the 3 years since then.

This past year I've been really busy with school, work, homework, and building a business. I stopped preparing my own meals and stayed eating more and more processed prepared meals. The meals were vegan, but they weren't whole food. They had a lot of extra unnecessary ingredients and added fats, sugars, sodium, etc. I've gained quite a bit of weight back, but am losing it quickly again after switching back to making my own whole food meals.

I joined MFP after joining a biggest loser group, but quit logging my food after a few days because I don't need to so it's a pain to go through unnecessary work. I just use MFP to track my weight loss. The winner of the biggest loser gets to donate the money we all anted in to a charity of his or her choice. I'm thinking about dropping out of the group in order to allow someone else to be the winner so they have that victory and are motivated to keep going. Other people are telling me to stay so that I can be the motivation to someone else and help them out, and it's not like I'm taking the money from them because it's going to a charity either way. There are lots of ways to lose weight, but I do feel that whole food plant based is the healthiest way to do it. What do other people think? Would someone else be more motivated by winning themselves or by learning how I did it? I'm not being arrogant in assuming I'll win, I'm way ahead of everyone else in the group and most of them really struggle with food. They also know I eat a vegan diet, just not all the details of why I say it's the healthiest way of eating.

There's so much more I could say, but I'll leave it at that for now.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

I would recommend "The Starch Solution" by Dr. John McDougall, "80/10/10" by Dr. Doug Graham, "Engine 2 Diet" by Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, "Get Healthy Go Vegan" by Dr. Neal Barnard ...yes, THIS IS proven and explained by science, and it works long term. All these doctors are lean and fit. Try and find a lean and fit doctor that promotes carb restriction.

chastises others for allegedly relying on biassed sources.

recommends biassed sources
  • neandermagnon
    Options

Why would you assume that a meat eaters diet isn't as tasty or abundant as your diet?

^^^ this

and also, addressing the original person quoted above... why assume that us meat eaters have never been vegan?

I can assure you that my diet now is much more abundant than a vegan diet. Why? Because I still eat lots of really delicious vegan foods, only I eat meat, eggs and dairy too. In fact, tofu goes really really well with mutton mince in curry, and, well, in curry generally. And lots of other vegan staples. The only vegan recipes I don't use any more are the ones that were trying too hard to be something that they're not, i.e. the imitation eggs, dairy and meat recipes. That's gone from my diet (replaced by the real thing). But true vegan food, as in all the tasty vegetable dishes, remain.

You can get all the health benefits of a vegan diet - and enjoy all the taste benefits too - by including a wide range of different plant foods while also eating meat. You get the best of both, as in all the micronutrients and fibre of a vegan diet, plus the abundant supply of iron, amino acids and essential fatty acids and fat soluble vitamins of animal products. Because humans are omnivores, and that means enjoying meat *and* veggies to the max.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Why is everyone bashing this guy for trying to share his experience and help people out. Going vegan is an amazing thing you can do for your health,

while it is possible for an adult to get a healthy, balanced diet from only plant foods (so long as you supplement vitamin B12), it's actually really difficult and requires a lot of attention to nutrition, in particular to getting adequate amounts of protein and iron.

This recent trend of promoting the idea that vegan diets are automatically more healthy than any omnivorous diet is completely wrong and frankly dangerous.

I was vegan over a decade ago - back then the websites promoting veganism had quite detailed instructions about what foods to eat to ensure a proper balance of nutrition while eating vegan - and also what supplements to take (including what vegan foods were fortified with those particular vitamins, mostly B12 and D2) - they also had advice about how to switch from an omnivorous to a plant only diet safely, which they did not recommend doing overnignt.......... nowadays you see websites telling people that humans are herbivores, meat is toxic and the vegan diet is the proper diet for humans, and that 80/10/10 are the ideal macros for humans..... sorry but it's utter BS, and dangerous BS at that. Humans are omnivores and a healthy vegan diet is an imitation of an omnivorous diet, i.e. the nutrient profile is the same you'll get from a healthy, balanced ominvorous diet, but replacing animal foods with plant alternatives. You will not automatically become healthier by going vegan. You are most likely to become less healthy as a result, unless you pay careful attention to specific nutrients, which many of the most vocal, in your face vegans don't seem to do, or to even realise that they need to do this and poo-poo any suggestions e.g. that they should get more than 10% of their calories from protein, as meat industry propaganda.

Sorry but all this BS needs to be called out, and it's got nothing to do with hatred against vegans (I don't hate vegans, I used to be one long ago, I know people who are happy, healthy well-nourished vegans too) it's simply a PSA about health. Going vegan requires paying attention to getting all the nutrients that it's hard to get without eating animal products. And vitamin b12 supplements. And vitamin D supplements if your skin colour isn't optimal for making vitamin D with your skin where you live. And usually iron supplements if you're female and still menstruating (non-haem iron is harder to absorb and a lot of female vegans and vegetarians do get anaemia in spite of eating plenty of green veggies).
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Your analogy is flawed. A predatory animal, such as a wolf, feasts when a kill is made but then they won't eat for days afterwards. I assume you don't eat 4000cals then skip a days worth of eating do you, so that it evens out at 2000cals/day?
    Listen, if you're hungry or you just want some food then go and do it, we are a part of nature and in nature there is no calorie restriction. If a wolf had access to food at all times he would eat is brains out without putting on a single pound. Look at pets for instance, a cat eats all they and sleeps all they but won't gain weight. Just try it out for 2 weeks and you'll see what I'm talking about.

This is so completely wrong. I worked at a vets office for years, and there are many overweight pets. Heck, my pets are overweight. My dogs will indeed eat as much as they could if I gave it to them, but they would gain weight.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    As a vegan I find the premise and execution of this thread frustrating to say the least!

OP people do not want to hear anecdotal evidence or opinions disguised as science.

If the intention of the thread was to promote veganism the way you went about it has most probably had the opposite effect.

People want facts, studies (peer reviewed) a certain methodology that goes beyond personal preference or experience.

I recommend you research scientific methodology, nutrition, biology etc before discussing the physiological effects of a vegan diet, as there are people well versed in these subjects and many more and they will call you out on any or all discrepancies.

If you want to discuss the ethical implications of a vegan vs omnivore diet I also recommend doing your research as you will be called out on any discrepancies. (once again)

Your intentions may be good but you know what they say about good intentions hmm.

As far as your approach, if you push someone and they tend to move away. (basic physics)

In summary rethink your approach and do some research because threads like this just fuel the fire for the "Pushy Vegan" stereotype.

FYI: I was a fat *kitten* vegan there for a while and now I am a healthy vegan, both are possibilities.