vent--There are too many skinny people at the gym

Options

Replies

• TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    There are actually gyms out there like that, but I do echo the sentiment of 'what would you do if you lost the weight and got kicked out'? I'd feel a little bummed out, personally.

I work out in a boot camp style gym where I'm around a lot of other people with their own goals. We're all different body sizes and shapes and although it took a while to get over my damn self, I realized most people don't care what anyone else looks like, just so long as they're getting their work done.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    1) If the gym is full of skinny people, maybe that gym is doing something right?

2) Your own worst enemy is between your ears. All of us who were fat knew we had to do something. We had to find something we enjoyed and could stick with. Then we had to follow through. Its perfectly ok if the gym is not your thing.

3) The way you eat now and the way you live now is one of the reasons you need to lose weight. To continue doing the same thing and expecting different results is opening you up to being frustrated. Change is evident, get used to it.

OP, I think you already know that change is necessary. I encourage you to try different things and look for something you can learn to love doing.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I know that that sounds stupid but I wish someone would open a gym where you have to be at least 25 pounds overweight to join. I go to a pretty nice one and overall people are pretty nice but when you are currently proud that you know you are exercising because your stomach fat has separated into two distinct groups working out next to Joe Meat head and Trophy wife wearing too much perfume and too little clothing can just make you feel less good about being there.

I know, I know, I am being silly and I should just ignore distractions like this but am I alone? Does anyone else feel just a little more insecure working out amongst the already insanely fit?

This is the worst post in the history of posts.

A gym where you must be 25lbs overweight to join?? Are you fracking kidding me? What happens when you lose that weight, do they kick you out on your *kitten*? :huh:

I got news for you, I'd rather be working out next to Joe Meathead and Trophy Wife, because they've probably got better attitudes than you do. How do you thing Trophy Wife stays a trophy wife? Not by hanging out at home on the couch snarfing Froot Loops, I'll bet. You need to maintain your body once you earn it, and for all you know, that trophy wife and meathead may have been hundreds of pounds overweight at one time, and have literally worked their a$$es off. Who the heck do you think you are, to judge them?

Why can't you be happy for people who have worked harder and longer at something than you have? Is it so impossible to use their hard work as inspiration to work harder yourself?
    Or is it just easier to feel sorry for yourself and wish they would leave your sight so you don't have to think about them?

Downvote. Downvote hard.

Thumbs_down.gif
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you all think she's being rude, most of your are being rude right back! Talk about hypocrites. If you don't have anything nice to say, DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL. Jeesh, just be the bigger person if you think she was being so rude and ignore the post.

I'm sorry OP for all the comments. It's not like you were being malicious or anything. Everyone just needs to give it a rest and move on.

So. I'm supposed to be nice to people who basically think people who look like me don't belong at her gym?
    Why is that the insulted party is always the one obligated to be nice?

Again, did the OP say that? I haven't read all the replies so perhaps she did later, but she certainly did NOT say that in her first post.

TOPIC: vent--There are too many skinny people at the gym

If this doesn't mean 'I want less skinny people at the gym.' that what, exactly, does it mean to you? There are too many skinny people at the gym, but that's Aok? Too many of them, but I don't mind?

Enlighten me Obi-Wan, for clearly I have misunderstood.

First of all, thanks for calling me Obi-Wan :love:

So you think you are a skinny trophy wife and took the remarks personally. Got that. But I don't see where the OP said you didn't belong at the gym. She said she was uncomfortable working out next to you. For the life of me I can't imagine why.
  • TruckerWife922
    Options
    You really have no idea what "skinny" people are thinking about. I used to think the same way then realized when I saw a woman that is more than twice my size (and I'm not skinny) walking the neighborhood every morning, my thought reaction was "Good for you! Get it girl!" The "skinny" people are more than likely cheering you on! Smile at them, let them inspire you, ask them how to use a piece of equipment. You just might end up with a new best friend.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    If you all think she's being rude, most of your are being rude right back! Talk about hypocrites. If you don't have anything nice to say, DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL. Jeesh, just be the bigger person if you think she was being so rude and ignore the post.

I'm sorry OP for all the comments. It's not like you were being malicious or anything. Everyone just needs to give it a rest and move on.

So being fat and insecure gives you a get out of jail free rude card? But, once you have worked your *kitten* off to get into shape you can't speak your mind or work out in the gym because you might upset someone???

It was malicious. Drop the white knight act and actually read the insults she threw out there.

If I went and created a thread "I work out at home cause I couldn't stand the fatties at the gym" I would be reported in a heartbeat. I'm still fat but I take personal responsibility for my comments, because I'm an adult and I don't take this whole I'm insecure so I can insult anyone I want .

Okay, so I'm just going to assume that everyone here writing those comments have all been perfect angels and have never said anything or not judged anyone their whole lives. Seriously, everyone has done it. And if you say you haven't, well, I wouldn't believe you or anyone because that is the world we live in. People judge. The OP wasn't being malicious, she recognized that she was being silly and she said some things in a way she shouldn't have. Just stop being so negative.

Have I judged others before .. of course, but I was also adult enough to own up to it.

Being silly does not make body shaming others acceptable. So answer this, if I created a thread that said "vent-There are too many fat people at the gym" and included well I know it's silly but they make me feel insecure that I'm going to gain all my weight back so I don't want to be around them.

What would your response Ms. White Knight be to that thread?
  • da_bears1008
    da_bears1008 Posts: 354
    Options

So being fat and insecure gives you a get out of jail free rude card? But, once you have worked your *kitten* off to get into shape you can't speak your mind or work out in the gym because you might upset someone???

It was malicious. Drop the white knight act and actually read the insults she threw out there.

If I went and created a thread "I work out at home cause I couldn't stand the fatties at the gym" I would be reported in a heartbeat. I'm still fat but I take personal responsibility for my comments, because I'm an adult and I don't take this whole I'm insecure so I can insult anyone I want .

Okay, so I'm just going to assume that everyone here writing those comments have all been perfect angels and have never said anything or not judged anyone their whole lives. Seriously, everyone has done it. And if you say you haven't, well, I wouldn't believe you or anyone because that is the world we live in. People judge. The OP wasn't being malicious, she recognized that she was being silly and she said some things in a way she shouldn't have. Just stop being so negative.

"I know this is silly, and stupid BUT...."

No sympathy. None at all.
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options

I agree. Sometimes I stop myself from posting a topic just because people take things wayy out of context and make you out to be like some horrible person when it isn't the case. Seems you have to word everything perfect, no mistakes or you'll get an ear bashing.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

The person you are replying to wasn't being negative, unless anything less than sugar coated type answers is deemed negative to you.

They were being blunt..that's not the same as being negative.
  • GuineaPiglet
    GuineaPiglet Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm not going to lambaste you for this one as some other comments have done, because as an overweight new gym go-er myself I do see a lot of fit people at the gym and at first it made me uncomfortable and self conscious. I get what you're saying, I do. Then I realized they weren't looking at me through judgmental eyes. In fact, they weren't looking at me at all. Everyone there is too focused on what they're doing and getting a good workout in, and everyone is pretty invisible to anyone else.

So...now I look at the super fit people and am inspired to keep plugging away instead of feeling bad about myself. There are also a few who are heavier than I am who might even be looking at me and feeling self conscious. I see those bigger people and think "good for you, you're doing something about it" and silently root for them. I have my own goals and "imperfections" to work on. I like to think those smaller and fitter than those of us who are less than healthy might have some degree of respect that we're there at all.

In short...I really think after a while of consistently going you'll feel differently. It's all about perspective. Use those fit people as inspiration for where you want to be rather than using them to abuse yourself in your mind.
  • TKhamvongsa
    TKhamvongsa Posts: 287
    Options
    LOL really? No matter how skinny or fat. They're there to improve their life/self
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I live in a college town and my gym has plenty of teeny tiny college age girls.

It actually has plenty of people of all ages, shapes, sizes and fitness levels.

There is no reason for the skinny people to intimidate me or make me feel bad for looking the way I do. I'm not about to compare myself to them. I just want to be a better version of myself.

Also to add, you never know, trophy wife may have started off 25 pounds overweight and feeling the same way. Don't worry about what people look like or what they are wearing (which might be for their own comfort) and focus on being a better you.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Have I judged others before .. of course, but I was also adult enough to own up to it.

Being silly does not make body shaming others acceptable. So answer this, if I created a thread that said "vent-There are too many fat people at the gym" and included well I know it's silly but they make me feel insecure that I'm going to gain all my weight back so I don't want to be around them.

What would your response Ms. White Knight be to that thread is that malicious or insecure?
  • TruckerWife922
    Options
    YOU are responsible for how fat you are.
    JUST like the skinny people are skinny because of the choices THEY'VE made.
    they have every right to work out at ANY gym they please to maintain that body.

what, skinny people can't go to the same gym as fat people now?
    what's next, ban skinny people from eating at public restaurants, because they make fat people feel sad?
    Or have a Fat People Only Swim at public pools so the skinny folks don't make the overweight ones feel self conscious?

see the logic here?

My workplace went to this extreme. Those of us that had a "treat" bowl on our desks had to remove them because someone complained that the bowls put too much stress on her trying to lose weight! So since she didn't have the willpower to not stick her hand in someone else's candy bowl, no one could have any! I love this "It's all about me" society we have now.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

So. I'm supposed to be nice to people who basically think people who look like me don't belong at her gym?

Again, did the OP say that? I haven't read all the replies so perhaps she did later, but she certainly did NOT say that in her first post.

If this doesn't mean 'I want less skinny people at the gym.' that what, exactly, does it mean to you? There are too many skinny people at the gym, but that's Aok? Too many of them, but I don't mind?

So you think you are a skinny trophy wife and took the remarks personally. Got that. But I don't see where the OP said you didn't belong at the gym. She said she was uncomfortable working out next to you. For the life of me I can't imagine why.

So. If I go 'There are too many white people at my gym' (seriously, the damn place is full of them!) that doesn't imply I don't think they should be there/don't want them there?

Well. If that's how you feel then there is nothing more to say because I'm genuinely incapable of possibly understanding you.

Good day.
  • gardengirl40
    gardengirl40 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love a good forum discussion, everyone gets to finish with exactly the same opinions they started with, but a little bit more determined about them.
  • lbpears
    lbpears Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from.. I felt that way the first time I went into a gym. It is a mind set.. don't worry about them.. just focus on you.

Sorry everyones being hateful to you for venting.. and its a normal way for someone who is overweight to feel.. its called insecure. You will get confidence if you try.

Very well said.

OP, sorry you feel intimidated at the gym, but I can guarantee you that those fit people are so into their own workout that they aren't even noticing anyone else. Just keep going, and it will get easier!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I love a good forum discussion, everyone gets to finish with exactly the same opinions they started with, but a little bit more determined about them.

Not so. I started thinking the OP was silly, but the more I think about it the more I think she's just a jerk.

That's a shift in opinion.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

So. If I go 'There are too many white people at my gym' (seriously, the damn place is full of them!) that doesn't imply I don't think they should be there/don't want them there?

Well. If that's how you feel then there is nothing more to say because I'm genuinely incapable of possibly understanding you.

Good day.

You must use the force to understand. Good day to you to.
  • gypsyGIRL159
    gypsyGIRL159 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I felt like that for about 6 months..... THEN one day I looked up from my Work Out and noticed that all eyes were on THIS GYPSY!!!! :laugh:

SUDDENLY I REALIZED I WAS NOW EYE CANDY FOR A FEW PEOPLE!

Keep on hitting that REPEAT BUTTON......

Keep doing what ya got to do...

Your SUDDENLY moment is coming!

I even walk differently... because I feel sooooo EXCELLENT.....

When you shed enough dead weight you breathe differently, better, and you tend to have this amazing awareness of self.

People want you to sit.... and you'd rather STAND!!!

People was you to take the elevator.... and you fall in love with the stairs!

People want you to be invisible.... and you say WAIT..... I'VE BEEN INVISIBLE ALL MY LIFE!

PEOPLE WANT YOU TO DRESS LIKE YOU'RE IN THE MORGUE.... AND YOU HAVE TO LOOK ALIVE!!!!!!!

I say let it all gooooooooooooooooooo........

We're never going to be 100% HAPPY!

However, it helps to know the outside shell doesn't really matter that much.:grumble:

From the second we arrive WE ARE DYING.... This world is NOT our Home.

When we embrace our own personal Journey, and live and let live.... we get away from the valley of Vanity and ascend to the Peaks of pleasure in Christ Jesus.

We then see that our inner man & woman are the only worthwhile part of us. If we work towards a clear, PEACEFUL, happy refreshed inner spirit.... the outer shell will transform, mutate, and re-invent itself little by little until we look like Christ.

This Journey is an opportunity to do just that.... and have company along the way!:flowerforyou:

OH HAPPY DAY!