Fat people ambassador

Replies

• KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Here I am... The OP. Took me a while to read all the comments. This is what I have learned... Fat people ambassador - bad career move as there are few people around that actually need my services. (Really, I am the only one that needs my services).

First of all, thank you for all the comments - harsh, supportive, on the fence..... I appreciate the input. Yes, I am over sensitive because I am very bitter. Generally, I am a very happy person, but recently a bunch of (irrelevant) events rubbed me the wrong way - maybe because I feel guilty or maybe because I am sick of feeling like an inferior being. And yes, feeling inferior is also a choice. I don't think for one moment that shinny people don't have issues, I know they do. I accept that jealousy probably came into play here.... Life just seems so muck easier for people that do not constantly struggle with weight. Yes, I am guilty of stereotyping.

The point I was trying to make with IQ, is that I am not stupid, BUT fat. I have people in my life treating me as if I did not have a brain at all. It infuriates me!

Yes, my original post was in many ways unfair and I did not realise that I was telling the world that I'd rather be a victim than fight, that I'd rather make excuses than work hard. This is not who I am and I need to prove that to myself. I still believe that some assumptions are a bit unfair and that some comments are mean. What I feel one day, might not be what I feel the next.

Basically, so I am tought by you (people I do not know from a bar of soap) where I am to adjust my way of thinking and to take responsibility.

Thanks....

*stands up and applauds*

OP, you did a great thing, just now.
    :heart:

I'm sorry you are in pain, and I how that things will turn around for you. This site has a lot of people who have run the gambit of weight loss experience... And while a lot of them may he blunt, the majority do care about seeing you achieve your goals!

Connect with some of them. Look to them for guidance, and support. You've GOT this!

+fiddy
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Wow, a thread where the OP took the time to listen to the community and learn from it rather than to come back more combative than ever? Virtually unheard of!

OP: :flowerforyou:
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    I'm just gonna say this.

The worst thing you can do when trying to lose weight is be hyper-sensitive about things. You're gonna get comments you hate. You're gonna read things you don't like. You're going to hate other people and yourself on a regular basis.

If you get fired up about something, good, you're supposed to. But ranting is a waste of energy. Save it for the gym.

Good answer Brett.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Here I am... The OP. Took me a while to read all the comments. This is what I have learned... Fat people ambassador - bad career move as there are few people around that actually need my services. (Really, I am the only one that needs my services).

First of all, thank you for all the comments - harsh, supportive, on the fence..... I appreciate the input. Yes, I am over sensitive because I am very bitter. Generally, I am a very happy person, but recently a bunch of (irrelevant) events rubbed me the wrong way - maybe because I feel guilty or maybe because I am sick of feeling like an inferior being. And yes, feeling inferior is also a choice. I don't think for one moment that shinny people don't have issues, I know they do. I accept that jealousy probably came into play here.... Life just seems so muck easier for people that do not constantly struggle with weight. Yes, I am guilty of stereotyping.

The point I was trying to make with IQ, is that I am not stupid, BUT fat. I have people in my life treating me as if I did not have a brain at all. It infuriates me!

Yes, my original post was in many ways unfair and I did not realise that I was telling the world that I'd rather be a victim than fight, that I'd rather make excuses than work hard. This is not who I am and I need to prove that to myself. I still believe that some assumptions are a bit unfair and that some comments are mean. What I feel one day, might not be what I feel the next.

Basically, so I am tought by you (people I do not know from a bar of soap) where I am to adjust my way of thinking and to take responsibility.

Thanks....

*stands up and applauds*

I'm sorry you are in pain, and I how that things will turn around for you. This site has a lot of people who have run the gambit of weight loss experience... And while a lot of them may he blunt, the majority do care about seeing you achieve your goals!

Connect with some of them. Look to them for guidance, and support. You've GOT this!

+fiddy

Dude, Way to be accoutable. That's AWESOME! I love open minds and you are cool in my book!
  • patfriendly
    patfriendly Posts: 263 Member
    You think thats bad, imagine if you logged into a dating site and got this message

RICZLnx.png
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Wow, a thread where the OP took the time to listen to the community and learn from it rather than to come back more combative than ever? Virtually unheard of!

The OP is going to make it! You GO OP! :smile: (No I did not write "You Goop" :laugh: )
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    I don't think for one moment that shinny people don't have issues, I know they do. I accept that jealousy probably came into play here.... Life just seems so muck easier for people that do not constantly struggle with weight. Yes, I am guilty of stereotyping.

It's interesting that you brought up jealousy, because I often get scathing looks from heavy people, comments like "it must be so nice to be skinny" as if this was the body I was born with. I've had to work damn hard...wait, correction, I WORK DAMN HARD to look this way. I've lost 52lbs this year. You really need to put jealousy behind you and just move forward with your own goals.

In your original post you brought up how people stare at you with pity (or obese people with pity) and you're right. I do that sometimes, (not the staring part, but the pitying part). I know how hard it was to lose the weight and I can't help but think about how much longer and harder the struggle will be when someone is starting from morbidly obese. So it's not that I necessarily pity the person, but I do pity the situation.

I will make one other comment about stereotyping that may not be well received, but whatever, going for it; last weekend I was grabbing groceries at the local Walmart and as I'm standing in line STARVING I thought to myself, why not hit the McD's right there and grab some lunch. As I stood waiting for the teller to finish I look over at McD's to see how busy it was and all I saw were overweight people....I know, that's probably not a fair thing to say, but it was enough to make me not want to go in there and eat. Now i'm not saying that all obese people eat McDonald's, but when you become conscious of everything you eat and start tracking your food and changing your eating habits you become more aware of all the contributing factors to your weight gain.

So in general, be careful what you say about thin people because one day it will be a cross you to will have to bear! :wink:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member

Thanks....

If I was handicapping your odds of success, this post just shortened them significantly. Well done.

Best of luck. :flowerforyou:
  • curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member

You certainly came off as a clever person by your response to the feedback. You read and reflected and did an inventory and picked up what worked for you and what didn't. That is smart. A wise person will continue taking in knowledge. (I didn't come up with that saying).

You are right. Being overweight is not a sign of being an intellectual slouch. Just like with thin people, there are the geniuses and... (thinking of a nice word for it...) not so smart.

I am past shaming, blaming, and criticism myself or others. People are doing the best they can. I like what Maya Angelou put so well, "We do better when we know better." In fact, many who shame people think they are doing them a favor. (then there are also self serving bullies) But really, it is all wrong.

I thank you for your O.P. good job putting it out there. Not a mistake by any means.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Thanks for coming back, OP.

Great follow up post.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member

Thanks....

*stands up and applauds*

^^This.

:flowerforyou:
  • SuthernKimby
    SuthernKimby Posts: 10 Member
    Awesome...thanks for saying it!!!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member

Thanks....

Huh well I have to say I am pleasently suprised. Cheers OP and best of luck. We all have our rough days, understood completely. The fact that this is your response to a lot of harsh critisisms of your original post speaks loads for your character and gives me faith that you are going to do alright in whatever you set your mind to.
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member

The OP is going to make it! You GO OP! :smile: (No I did not write "You Goop" :laugh: )

+1 :flowerforyou:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Not all people are fat because they eat to much.

The ONLY way to get fat is to eat too much.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    OP - so glad to see you come back and respond. Like many of the others, I have to applaud you for being able to take all of the feedback (some of it even a bit harsh) and see where you can change and improve. That kind of attitude will get you far.

Don't give up on yourself, you can do this!
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    1. you might try watching less tv.

2. i am a skinny person who has never had a weight issue. i did, however, trash my health with inactivity for 10 years, compounding my chronic fibromyalgia pain and depression to the point that i tried to kill myself. so i can totally relate to anyone who has trashed their health with inactivity. i'm, like, the queen of that.

3. NEWSFLASH**** human beings are turds, and not just to 'fatties'. it used to bother me when people looked at me pityingly years ago when i was hobbling around with a cane, disabled. people are still looking at me pityingly, because i'm too skinny or boobless or my hair's too short or whatever. I've since filled my life with so many satifying things that need my fvcks that i have no fvcks left over for any stupid crap, period.

4. see #1

5. nicely done OP! :flowerforyou::flowerforyou: i'm late to the party, as usual :blushing:
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    not sure what I have missed...
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    :flowerforyou:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member

Thanks....

If I was handicapping your odds of success, this post just shortened them significantly. Well done.

Best of luck. :flowerforyou:

^ This. Pretty awesome of you, OP. The mind is the first thing you have to change in order to successfully lose weight and it sounds like you're well on your way there.