Senior Golden Sneakers~~~ for February 2010~~~ Welcome

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    I will post it on our new thread for March. And hope those that don't have their birthdays will get in touch before to post this Sat. so I can get a new list to post.this Sunday nite. or they will have to wait till next month.

This is in tribute to Barbiecat who has lost 70 lbs this year with us. I found this posting by Barbiecat and i Copy it and will paste it.
    Thanks Baarbiecat for all of your encouragement thruout the year. This is a good plan to follow.
    Hooray for Barbie and Jake

What is clean eating?
    The 80 Percent Principle

In a nutshell, eating clean is the practice of eating whole, natural foods. These include fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and complex carbohydrates. It also means staying away from the junk that typically makes up the Standard American Diet (SAD). These types of food include man-made sugar, bad fats (hydrogenated and trans-fat), preservatives, white bread, artificial sweeteners, and any other ingredients that are unnecessary. An easy way to remember whether a food is clean is: If man made it, don’t eat it. (Try buying as many foods as possible that contain only one ingredient.)

According to physique experts (fitness models and body builders), the body is a product of 10 percent genetics, 10 percent exercise, and 80 percent nutrition. That means that in order to improve the way we look and feel, the most important thing that we can do is focus on nutrition!

Anyone who wants to eat cleaner can develop some or all of the following habits:

* Eating 5 to 6 small meals per day
    * Eating every 2 to 3 hours
    * Combining lean proteins with complex carbohydrates at every meal
    * Never skipping a meal, especially breakfast
    * Eating whole foods
    * Eating healthy fats
    * Drinking lots of water
    * Eliminating refined sugar and processed foods
    * Eliminating alcoholic beverages (another kind of sugar)
    * Carrying a supply of healthy foods when away from home
    * Making healthy choices when dining out
    * Sticking to reasonable portion sizes at all times
    * And exercising for both fat loss (cardio) and muscle gain (strength training).

(Adapted from http://www.eatingcleanworks.com and the Eat-Clean Diet books by Tosca Reno)
  • viliberty
    Options
    Things are going along great. I finally lost a couple more pounds. It is discouraging when it doesn't happen for awhile. But I know if I just keep on track it will have to go sometime. Have a good evening everyone. Irene
  • isandi
    isandi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hi all,yea for Jake! I'll bet you are very happy.

Just dropped in to let you know what I am going to do.

Tomorrow, Saturday, Vicki and I are having a 3 day in home detox program! No diet coke, no sugar and no white flower! We are not leaving the house for at least 2 days. The plan is to quilt...unless we kill each other! LOL!
    Wish us luck!
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Sandy who is Braden, Did I miss or forgot something along the way.He is in my prayers.
    Marie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,997 Member
    Options
    :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :smooched: :smooched: :smooched: :smooched: :smooched: :smooched:
    We just finished watching the ladies' figure skating ( a day late) so now I feel safe turning on the computer without worrying about finding out the results before watching :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Irene, congrats on losing more weight.......those plateaus are so frustrating. I'm glad you kept on going and didn't give up.

:flowerforyou: Sandy, Isagenix is nothing like Alli........the Isagenix products are the healthiest foods delivered in a low calorie way with a formula that delivers all the nutrition efficiently to your body......the nutritional cleanse is a day of drinking an herbal cleansing beverage that helps your body release the impurities that we all have from the toxic world we live in.....when your body releases the impurities, it lessens the need to hold on to fat to protect your organs so weight loss is the result.....Jake and I have been using Isagenix products for months (Jake since February, me since April) and we plan to continue forever. along with the Isagenix products we stick to clean eating

:flowerforyou: Marie, thanks for reminding all of us of what clean eating means.......it's a big change from the way most people eat

:flowerforyou: Sandi, your detox and quilting day sounds great......on my cleanse day I stay home most of the day and do things like laundry and crafts since I'm consuming fewer calories.

:flowerforyou: Beth, when I was in my 20's I taught in a school on an overseas Air Force base.......one of the first things someone told me when I got there was to be on the lookout for the "geographic bachelor"
    a married guy who acted like a bachelor since he was on the other side of the world......even with the warning, I got burned twice.:laugh: :laugh:

Now it 's time to get to sleep.:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
    :heart: :heart: hugs:smooched: Barbie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    Marie, my cousin has a rare disease called chiari, she started a foundation to make people more aware and to help get funding for a cure. This baby Brayden while still in his mother's womb was diagnosed with the same disease only more severe. The doctors told the parents that 80% of his brain and part of his brain stem were outside of his head. They gave him a 10% chance of survival and if he did survive he would live on a ventilator. The parents were preparing for his death and wanted the world to become aware of this disease. They had planned his funeral making it beautiful instead of horrible. They made a quilt and asked anyone who wanted to send them a square in memory of their son. It was a heart breaking story. The mother was induced after careful planning and Brayden was born on Thursday. The miracle so far is that he is breathing on his own and moving on his own. No one knows what is in store or if he will make it, but we are praying for a miracle. Everyday is a miracle in that they get one more day with him. :heart:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Thanks Sandy. i was wondering who he was and what was wrong. When was he born.? My heart goes out for the Family. Please keep us in touch.
    Marie
  • tobysjrzgrl
    tobysjrzgrl Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    CalieCat,

Please add the following to your birthday list.

Jersey 5/18/1946
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Hi Jersey. It will be there in the morning. I always post the list on the first of t he month and also change the month. I will have the link to our March threads at the bottom of Febuary thread. Love having you here. Marie
  • isandi
    isandi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Marie, I know what you mean about thinking you have missed something...I guess I missed the note about Braden and his family. Thoughts and prayers are with him and his family!

This is just a short note....
    Home Rehab, day 1,. Well, we have made it through the first day...no diet coke, no white bread and no sweets. We completed 15 blocks with 34 more to go. Still had too much sugar, according to the chart but am right at 1200 calories. I can't believe the sugar was right. tomorrow is another day!

How terrible about the earthquake in Chili, it seems they are handling it as well as can be expected.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Febuary is now closed here is the March thread and members and birthday listRemember this thread is now close click on the link below and it will take you to March. Hey I see I just done this a day early. Well it is done now and I am sticking to it.

Have a happy March, Have a Happy Spring

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/83901-senior-golden-sneakers-march-welcome-all-young-and-old?page=1#posts-1154920
  • viliberty
    viliberty Posts: 74
    Options
    Hi, everyone! It was a beatiful day here until late afternoon. Now it is pretty chilly. Spokane is going from Autunm directly into spring. No winter this year.
  • viliberty1957
    Options
    Marie, so sorry to hear about your brother's illness. You have my prayers and concern. God Bless. Irene
  • californiagramma
    Options
    I am aslo new to the sit and the thread like it so far although I am not doing too well weth the weight
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    I am aslo new to the sit and the thread like it so far although I am not doing too well weth the weight

June, you posted this on the wrong year, but I copied and paste it to 2011. Look for February 2011.
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Marie I will keep you and yours in my prayers.
    Beth

Beth, are you stateside??? If I remember you were getting ready for a deployment and I've looked up can't find any posts in this thread that tell us much more. You know you're the "kid" in the group and most of us could be your mom, so understand that we worry like mom's are supposed to do.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Marie I will keep you and yours in my prayers.
    Beth

Beth, are you stateside??? If I remember you were getting ready for a deployment and I've looked up can't find any posts in this thread that tell us much more. You know you're the "kid" in the group and most of us could be your mom, so understand that we worry like mom's are supposed to do.

Connie, you must have become disoriented from the snow, :wink: as you are in the WRONG THREAD, this one is Feb 2010, and here is a link to the current one:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/165470-senior-golden-sneakers-february-2011

Barb
  • californiagramma
    Options
    I am new to the Golden Sneakers and would like to get more involved, you guys seem like a dedicated lot, I am a life time WW member do not like the new plan so I am giving MFP a try.It really is a matter of calories in calories out no rocket science, I am not too far from goal about 5 or 6 pounds but it is still hard.Also we are leaving on a two week trip to Jamaica a week from today so I need some tips how to survive without denying myself a little fun.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    This is the February thread from 2010----Please do NOT post here. Below is a link to the current thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/165470-senior-golden-sneakers-february-2011